The '84 Draft: A Forever Different NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1988 NBA Finals

Many people considered Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley to be the two most exciting players in the NBA. Now these two young stars were set to do battle in the NBA Finals. The Houston Rockets had come up short against the Celtics two years before.

The Chicago Bulls had never competed in the Finals before, but centre Moses Malone provided championship experience. Malone’s matchup with Ralph Sampson would be crucial to both sides. Michael Jordan was now universally regarded as the game’s best player, but in Joe Dumars Chicago had one of the league’s best defensive guards. Most intriguing of all was the matchup between Barkley and Karl Malone, the NBA’s best two young power forwards. The stage was set.

The Rockets took Game one with a solid 108-101 effort, with Jordan (29 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists), Robert Reid (22 points) and Sampson (20 points and 11 rebounds) leading a balanced offensive attack. Charles Barkley was a monster pulling down 18 rebounds (7 offensive) and scoring 21 points for the Bulls. Moses Malone led Chicago with 31 points. Houston’s superior depth was a decisive factor. The Bulls kept it close, but never led.

In Game two, Charles Barkley took his game to another level. He dominated the game (40 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks) in every facet, and led the Bulls to a surprising easy 110-99 win to tie the series. Michael Jordan scored 34 points for the Rockets. After the game, Jordan publicly criticised teammate Karl Malone for failing to “compete better” against Barkley.

The teams travelled to Chicago for the next three games. Barkley set off a media firestorm by calling the Rockets “soft” and guaranteeing Bulls fans a win in the series.

Michael Jordan had other ideas. Fuelled by Barkley’ brash words, and by a storm of media criticism for his comments about his teammate, Jordan went off, scoring a career high 57 points to lead Houston to an easy 121-103 victory. Karl Malone added 21 points and 11 rebounds. Charles Barkley and Joe Dumars each scored 24 for Chicago.

The Bulls bounced back in game four, turning the tables and blowing out Houston 118-95. Barkley (29 points, 10 rebounds) and Moses Malone (27 points, 11 rebounds) dominated the paint, and Dumars hassled Jordan into a subpar 20 point night. Ralph Sampson suffered an embarrassing night, missing all eleven of his shots.

Game five was one of the greatest games in NBA history. On an unusually hot day in the windy city, the teams battled each other to a standstill and after forty-eight minutes they were dead locked at 101 apiece. In overtime, Barkley (27 points, 15 rebounds) and Jordan (33 points, 7 assists) vied for control of the game, each raising the level of his play to match the other.

With twenty seconds remaining, and the score tied at 112, the Bulls had the ball. Coach Chris Ford drew the play for Barkley to act as a decoy for a Moses Malone shot. His team executed to perfection, and Big Mo hit scored with 2.9 seconds remaining. Houston coach Bill Fitch called timeout. Everyone in the building knew who would take the final shot. Craig Ehlo inbounded the ball to Jordan, who crossed over and rose for his shot. Only to be stripped by Joe Dumars. The ball bounced loose as time ran out. Chicago now led, 3-2.

After the game, both Fitch and Jordan questioned the cleanness of Dumars’ big game saving play. Jordan and Ralph Sampson (who had been thoroughly outplayed by Moses Malone so far) spoke confidently of holding serve at home. Barkley with his customary brashness, reminded everyone that he had already guaranteed victory, and that the Bulls were “Destined to win”.

Facing elimination in game six, the Rockets responded by jumping the Bulls at the start. At half time, Houston led 60-43. However, early in the third quarter Joe Dumars drew two offensive fouls on Michael Jordan in quick succession, and Jordan sat with four fouls. The Rockets would score just ten third quarter points, missing 13 constecutive shots at one point. Chicago clawed their way back into the contest. Barkley (22 points, 15 rebounds) and Moses Malone (18 points, 14 rebounds) were as strong as ever, and at the final break the teams were tied at 70.

Jordan returned, but never recovered his rhythm. He finish the game with 21 points, shooting just 7/20. However, Ralph Sampson (24 points, 19 rebounds) rose up in the final stanza to singlehandedly keep the Rockets in the contest. With a minute remaining Chicago held the lead 95-94. Jordan dribbled at the top of the key, and hit Karl Malone for an easy inside basket. Barkley missed a jumper, but Moses Malone tipped the ball to rookie Reggie Lewis who calmly drained a wide open fifteen footer. Chicago, 97-96.

Twenty six seconds remained in the game and perhaps in the Rocket’s season. Jay Humphries got the ball to Sampson on the block, but Sampson missed a hook shot. Gene Banks grabbed the rebound for the bulls and was immediately fouled. He missed the first foul shot, but hit the second. Fitch called timeout. Chicago led 98-96 with eleven seconds to go. He drew up a play for Sampson. Michael Jordan angrily demanded the ball. His coach acquiesced, and drew up the play for Jordan instead.

Robert Reid inbounded the ball to Humphries. Jordan shook Dumars thanks to a Karl Malone screen, and got the ball on the right elbow. He turned, faked Dumars, and then went for his shot over the fingertips of Barkley and Banks. The ball rattled in and out, but Sampson tipped it in to tie the game at 98 with 1.7 seconds remaining. Chris Ford called his last timeout. He drew a play for Barkley, but the inbound pass was tipped away by Jordan. Time ran out. Overtime.

The overtime period would be anticlimactic. Barkley and Moses Malone both fouled out early, and behind a trio of big shots from Robert Reid the Rockets prevailed, 115-108. So it would come down to a seventh game. One game to decide everything.

Next: Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals

Last edited:
I like the alternate "Jordan Rules" series, those being the ruels set forth OTL by the Pistons to defeat Jordan by constantly punding him. Barkley is definitely a good addition, along with Dumars, to put those rules in motion.

Also nice to see Isaiah Thomas still doing well. I hope he still gets enough recognition to be on the Dream Team in '92 and get to the Olympics, as IIRC he was denied a chance becasue of the 1980 boycott. Actually, he probably will, this time perhaps because he's saving basketball in Detroit where the city is really starting to slump economically.

A nice bit of irony would be to have the Bulls win game seven with John Paxson sticking the dagger in the Rockets, given what he did to Barkley's Suns in the OTL.

Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals

Michael Jordan had had a trying NBA Finals so far. There had been moments a sheer brilliance and moments of total frustration. Bulls’ guard Joe Dumars had done a magnificent jobs of hounding Jordan, holding him to 43% shooting from the field, well below Jordan’s usual mark.

Now the moment of judgement was at hand.

The Rockets had been anointed as the ‘next big thing’ three years earlier, and yet had nothing to show for it. The class of the Boston Celtics in 1986 and Jordan’s injury the next year had kept them from glory. The Chicago Bulls on the other hand were an upstart. With the Moses Malone acquisition they had become an elite team almost overnight. But there were pressures there too. Malone was to become a free agent, as was point guard John Paxson. No one knew what the Bull’s roster might look like in 1989.

Both teams felt the time to win was now.

The Rockets jumped out to another fast start, and led 32-22 at the first break. Jordan and Karl Malone each opened with 10 first quarter points. But Chicago’s pesky defence kept them in the game. Dumars and Paxson were a strong defensive backcourt, and they made life difficult for the Rocket’s ball handlers.

In the second period, Dumars stole the ball twice, each time leading to a breakaway basket. Paxson added a three pointer half way through the period to tie the game at 40. Ralph Sampson and Moses Malone were battling fiercely inside for position and rebounds. Charles Barkley scored on three consecutive possessions to give Chicago the lead, causing Bill Fitch to bench Karl Malone for the rest of the half.

Jordan had a three point play, and then stole the ball from Paxson and had a breakaway dunk just before half time. The Rockets kept their noses in front, 56-55.

Ralph Sampson scored eight straight points to open the third period. Trailing 64-55, the Bulls were tetering, and Charles Barkley responded. Barkley dunked over Sampson, then rebounded a Robert Reid miss and dribbled the length of the court for another dunk. Jordan hit a runner in the lane, and Barkley answered by nailing a three pointer as Chicago’s shot clock expired to make it 66-62. The Bulls closed the quarter strongly, to only trail 83-81 at the final break.

The pressure built as for four minutes at the beginning of the final term neither team could hit a field goal. With 7:44 left on the clock John Paxson nailed a corner three pointer to tie the game at 85.

Fitch spread the floor, allowing Jordan room to operate. He hit a fifteen footer over Dumars, then after a Gene Banks airball Jordan drove and scored again. Dumars missed a long jump shot, but Reggie Lewis grabbed the rebound, and dunked the ball. Houston led 89-87 with just under six minutes remaining.

Banks knocked the ball away from Reid, and Karl Malone dove on the floor. He managed to pass the ball to Jay Humphries, who fed Sampson in the post. Sampson tried a hook shot over Moses Malone and missed, but Jordan skied over Barkley and Dumars to tip it in.
The Bulls turned the ball over. Jordan worked the clock down and took a seventeen footer over Dumars, but it rimmed out. Barkley grabbed the rebound and charged down the floor, bullying his way past Karl Malone and Robert Reid for another solo dunk. Dumars stole the ball from Jordan and quickly passes up court to Gene Banks who scored a layup to tie the game at 91 with 3:55 remaining.

Bill Fitch called a timeout. Jordan hit a jumper at one end, and Barkley scored an inside basket at the other. Karl Malone drew a foul on Barkley, his fifth. Bulls coach Chris Ford called timeout. Karl Malone missed both foul shots. The Rockets triple teamed Moses Malone, who hit Paxson for a wide open three pointer to break the deadlock, but Paxson missed. Humphries passed to Sampson who was fouled by Moses Malone. Sampson hit just one of the shots. The Bulls had the ball. Barkley drew a double team, and passed to an open Dumars. Dumars knocked in a long two to give the Bulls a 93-92 lead with two minutes remaining.

Sampson was fouled again by Moses Malone, his fifth foul. And once again he could only make one of the shots. The game was tied. Barkley missed, but Moses Malone grabbed the rebound and gave it back to him. Barkley hit a short jump shot, the Bulls led 95-93 with 1:13 left.

Fitch called his last timeout. Jordan isolated against Dumars, he was fouled and hit both shots. The game was tied. Barkley was double teamed again, and passed the ball to Reggie Lewis, who missed an open shot. Karl Malone turned the ball over. The game was tied at 95, with just 37 seconds to go.
Dumars drove and passed to Moses Malone. Sampson fouled him. Malone missed the first, hit the second. Chicago led 96-95 with 22 second remaining. The Rockets had no timeouts.

Jordan drove against Dumars. Reggie Lewis leapt at him, and Jordan spotted Reid open on the baseline. The pass was perfect, the shot was good. Houston led 97-96 with 3.5 seconds left. Chris Ford used his last timeout. Lewis inbounded the ball to Barkley, but as Barkley dribbled, Jordan reached in a knocked the ball away. Paxson grabbed it at half court but time expired. The Houston Rockets had won their first NBA championship.

Michael Jordan finished with 36 points, 5 rebounds and 7 assists. Ralph Sampson had a strong game with 20 points and 14 rebounds. Karl Malone finished with 15 points and 9 rebounds. Robert Reid had 16 points.

Charles Barkley has played his heart out and had finished with 28 points, 12 rebounds and 5 assists. Moses Malone had 22 points and 14 rebounds and Joe Dumars had 19 points.

Jordan was named Finals MVP.

Next: The 1988 Draft Lottery

Last edited:
Good game 7.

Though the reaction of many Texans will be: "When does football season start?" :D

BTW, the Detroit Pistons' inspiration for their image was none other than the 1970s Oakland Raiders, which I don't think Al Davis would mind at all.

So, I hope everyone is enjoying the TL.

I'm just looking for some feedback at this point.

Are people still interested? What's good? What's bad?

Thanks in advance :D:D:D

I certainly am enjoying your TL, sashlon. :)

As someone who remembers the early 80s Celtics, I am wondering how Bill Fitch and Michael Jordan got along. What is Phil Jackson doing ITTL? At one point, you mentioned that Chris Ford was coaching somewhere other than Boston.

Somewhere, too, you mentioned Jim Paxson. Have you read about his issues with Bird in Boston?

http://www.celticslife.com/2012/06/what-hell-happened-tojim-paxson.html

Of course, IOTL, this was happening:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-and-saddening-demise-of-a-basketball-legend

However, in your timeline, the Celtics' decline seems to be smoother, less of an implosion.

I certainly am enjoying your TL, sashlon. :)

As someone who remembers the early 80s Celtics, I am wondering how Bill Fitch and Michael Jordan got along. What is Phil Jackson doing ITTL? At one point, you mentioned that Chris Ford was coaching somewhere other than Boston.

Somewhere, too, you mentioned Jim Paxson. Have you read about his issues with Bird in Boston?

http://www.celticslife.com/2012/06/what-hell-happened-tojim-paxson.html

Of course, IOTL, this was happening:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-and-saddening-demise-of-a-basketball-legend

However, in your timeline, the Celtics' decline seems to be smoother, less of an implosion.

Ha, its funny you asked about Chris Ford. I had forgotten I'd made him the Bull's coach. I just fixed my last couple of updates. So yeah, Ford is the Bulls coach. I can't believe I let that mistake happen. :rolleyes:

It's starting to get complicated. I already started an alternate rosters spreadsheet. :eek:

As far as Bill Fitch and Michael Jordan? They'll be OK so long as they keep winning. But I think Fitch will wear on Jordan if things go sour. Sampson's knees are becoming a factor, so things might not be rosy in Houston for too long.

I haven't decided what to do with Phil Jackson ITTL. But he's been on my mind.

Jim Paxson is a reserve in Portland.

Yeah, Larry Bird's health is still going to be a factor ITTL. I think the Celtic's time as a contender is over. And they don't have Reggie Lewis to take over so yeah. I haven't focused on the Celtics much as of yet, but that might change.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Glad that you are feeling encouraged, sashlon. :)

Yes, Doug Collins is probably a better choice for a coach. In those days, becoming a head coach took a little longer, and one kept one's job for a while more. Paul Westhead's getting fired from the Lakers was kind of a shock back then. Chris Ford might not be a head coach until the 1990s.

How is Jim P. doing in Portland?

Yes, I think that Fitch wore out his welcome with everyone but Bird:
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-05-29/sports/sp-7609_1_bill-fitch

However, as Fitch implied in that article, the players in Houston were easier to coach.

BTW, have you seen the crazy story about Bird eating wedding cakes when he was injured in 1988-9?

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/larry-bird-bored-injured-ate-seven-wedding-cakes/216790

Looking forward to the next updates!

Damn. I was really cheering for Barkley there and if the Bulls can't resign Malone his window of opportunity might be closed for a year or 2. If Sampson's knee problems really begin to escalate it's Portland's championship to lose. Anyways, great update, your writing made reading the finals very entertaining.

I know what you mean about rooting for Barkley. :D

I had obviously already decided that Houston would win - they're kind of too good to NOT win it, but I almost talked myself into an upset.

The 1988 NBA Draft Lottery

The 1988 Draft was not considered to be as deep as in years past, however there were some very intriguing prospects. First on most people’s wish list was 6-10 University of Kansas star forward Danny Manning. No one was quite sure what position Manning would play in the pros, but with his athleticism, versatility and unusual skill set he was expected to be a star.

Another fascinating prospect was Marist centre Rik Smits. He stood 7-4 tall, and possessed a deft offensive touch. The young Dutch centre would definitely be a project, but he had shown enough potential during his college stint to have many NBA teams drooling over him.

Kansas State guard Mitch Richmond was the best offensive player among the top prospects. Richmond had been compared favourably to Michael Jordan, and possessed a similar physique. He lacked Jordan’s amazing athleticism, but he had a significantly better jump shot, with deeper range.

The 1988 Draft would be complicated by the NBA’s expansion. Two new franchises were added to the league, the Miami Heat and the Charlotte Hornets. It was decided that the two expansion teams would make their selections after the Lottery picks were done.

In the Draft Lottery that season were New Jersey (21-61), Sacramento (22-60), Phoenix (22-60), Denver (24-58), Indiana (27-55), Philadelphia (29-53) and the LA Clippers, who had made the playoffs, but owned San Antonio’s (28-54) pick.

When the Lottery balls came out, the winners were the Indiana Pacers.

The Lottery order was:

1. Indiana Pacers
2. Phoenix Suns
3. New Jersey Nets
4. Sacramento Kings
5. Denver Nuggets
6. Los Angeles Clippers
7. Philadelphia 76ers
8. Charlotte Hornets
9. Miami Heat

Next: The 1988 NBA Draft

Danny Manning to the Pacers is awesome, guess Manning will be known as a basketball name in Indy sports lore now. The ACL tear will likely be butterflied away and that should allow his knees to hold out longer, Pacers can build around Danny Manning and Chuck Person now.

Apologies

Apologies to readers. I've been caught up in the real world and haven't had time to write.

Here's something new :D

The 1989 NBA Draft

The Indiana Pacers had won the Draft Lottery, and there was very little doubt that they would select University of Kansas forward Danny Manning. Manning had wowed basketball pundits with his versatility and athleticism, and was the clear choice for number one. The only problem facing the Pacers was where he would fit. The Pacers already had good forwards. 1987 pick Chuck Person (19.5ppg, 6.6 rpg) and 1985 pick Wayman Tisdale (15.2ppg, 9.7rpg) were already very productive players for the Pacers. Leading into the Draft, the Pacers traded Person to Milwaukee for star guard Ricky Pierce and the 17th pick in the Draft (they selected guard Brian Shaw), thus clearing room in the rotation for Manning.

On Draft day, the Pacers chose Manning first.

1. Indiana Pacers Danny Manning (Kansas) F

The Phoenix Suns possessed the Draft’s second pick. The faced a difficult choice between stud Kansas State guard Mitch Richmond and 7-4 Rik Smits from Marist College. Richmond was regarded as a sure thing, and the Houston Rockets had proven that a team built around a shooting guard could win a title. Smits was definitely a project. His potential at both ends of the court was clear to see, but he was still learning the game. The Suns had for several years been trying to find a star big man in the Draft. Each of their previous picks (Polynice in ’84, Kline in ’85, Bedford in ’87) had been disapointments. Kline had languished on the bench for three years, and was now out the door as a free agent. Polynice showed a large amount of talent, but was troubled. He had also moved on, signing with the Los Angeles Clippers. Bedford remained with the team, and had been a starter in the 1987-88 season, but he had been wildly inconsistent.

The Suns had Larry Nance, an All Star forward and talented guard Jeff Hornacek, but they needed more to compete in the star studded Western Conference. After much agonising, Phoenix gambled, and drafted Rik Smits. New Jersey had pick 3. The Nets were languishing in the East, but they had some room for optimism. Thurl Bailey was a keeper at power forward young small forward Rodney McCray had shown promise, despite missing time through injury. The Nets pounced on Richmond at 3.

2. Phoenix Suns Rik Smits (Marist) C
3. New Jersey Nets Mitch Richmond (Kansas St.) G

The rest of the Lottery played out like this:

4. Sacramento Kings Charles Smith (Pittsburgh) F
5. Denver Nuggets Chris Morris (Auburn) F
6. Los Angeles Clippers Hersey Hawkins (Bradley) G
7. Philadelphia 76ers Rex Chapman (Kentucky) G
8. Charlotte Hornets Harvey Grant (Oklahoma) F
9. Miami Heat Rony Seikaly (Syracuse) C

Some other notable selections: The New York Knicks had three First round picks (10, 14 and 16). They chose Temple forward Tim Perry, swingman Jeff Grayer (Iowa St) and big man Mark Bryant (Seton Hall). The Cleveland Cavaliers picked up Central Michigan shooter Dan Majerle with the 11th pick. The Washington Bullets snagged talented DePaul point guard Rod Strickland at 12.
Seattle drafted Vanderbilt centre Will Perdue, and Golden State chose swingman Willie Anderson (Georgia).

NEXT: EXPANSION DRAFT

Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals

Jordan drove against Dumars. Reggie Lewis leapt at him, and Jordan spotted Reid open on the baseline. The pass was perfect, the shot was good. Houston led 97-96 with 3.5 seconds left. Chris Ford used his last timeout. Lewis inbounded the ball to Barkley, but as Barkley dribbled, Jordan reached in a knocked the ball away. Paxson grabbed it at half court but time expired. The Houston Rockets had won their first NBA championship.

Michael Jordan finished with 36 points, 5 rebounds and 7 assists. Ralph Sampson had a strong game with 20 points and 14 rebounds. Karl Malone finished with 15 points and 9 rebounds. Robert Reid had 16 points.

Charles Barkley has played his heart out and had finished with 28 points, 12 rebounds and 5 assists. Moses Malone had 22 points and 14 rebounds and Joe Dumars had 19 points.

Jordan was named Finals MVP.

Next: The 1988 Draft Lottery

What a game! That was very well written, I thought the Bulls were going to pull it out at first, but history has shown that no one can stop Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.