The '84 Draft: A Forever Different NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a number of baseball TLs, and we have a few NFL ones; it's great to see an NBA-centered one.

This was the year Houston got to the Finals OTL, I think; it's always been my 3rd favorite sport behind baseball and football, but I recall some of the '80s stuff. I wonder if they beat Boston this time.

When did Sampson's...was it back problems...start? That could be a fortuitous event if the salary cap comes into play, as he might take less money seeing that he can't play as well anymore.

Ralph Sampson's back problems began with a very hard spill he took during a game against the Celtics. In other words it's something that can be very easily butterflied.

Speaking of butterflies, does Len Bias survive ITTL? I remember starting a timeline where he lived but I lacked the wherewithal to even get past the preseason that year >_< It'll be interesting to see where he ends up if he lives.

As a Chicago fan:

9a2.gif

Mind if I borrow this from a Sixers perspective?

I don't know what it is, but I don't think I've ever seen a sports timeline on this site where Philadelphia teams ever turn out better than OTL. Often we're ignored, sometimes we're shafted (as here), but I begin to wonder if I have to write my own Philly-wank to see us be anything more than an afterthought. :(

I don't know what it is, but I don't think I've ever seen a sports timeline on this site where Philadelphia teams ever turn out better than OTL. Often we're ignored, sometimes we're shafted (as here), but I begin to wonder if I have to write my own Philly-wank to see us be anything more than an afterthought. :(

Yeah, the bulls' fans can't be too sad, they got Barkley and might make a Finals or two, maybe even win one. But, well...at least you didn't get Bowie.

But, yeah, I guess the history of the Athletics and Phillies is pretty bad except for the two runs Mack had before he had to sell off his players. Maybe the Phillies take Dave Winfield #1 in '73? They're rich enough and a big enough market he might stay.

Or Mack keeping Joe Jackson, who was up for a cup of coffee at first with the A's...he's already selling Eddie Collins to the White Sox so I doubt Comiskey could give him a *whole* lot more money for 2 players, maybe he can trade Jackson for prospects or with the extra money from selling him to, say, Washington, Mack can get Babe Ruth from Jack Dunn, his friend, and then later get some of the great Orioles of the International League earlier. He could have *the* dynasty of 1925-1933 or so.

Hmmm, if I had the time I might do that TL. I just don't know how rich Mack could get or if he could keep the team going to have it stay in Philadelphia.

Oh, well, sorry, back to the NBA - you can play with that on your own.

Why does everyone keep dissing Bowie? If he hadn't been injured who knows how well he could've done.

coming from a non-NBA fan, givent he way NBA fans talk I always figured he was like Greg Oden, just naturally more injury-prone. However, it is possible that it was the result of one incident like Sampson's.

coming from a non-NBA fan, givent he way NBA fans talk I always figured he was like Greg Oden, just naturally more injury-prone. However, it is possible that it was the result of one incident like Sampson's.

Injury's are pure luck on whether or not you get them. No one is more injury prone then someone else.

Could be - medically speaking obviously people have different bone or back structures, but that might not be as problematic for a 22-year-old healthy man as it is for a group of 72-year-old women as one example. A doctor would probably say there is a greater risk for one 72-year-old versus another a lot more readily than for one 22-year-old star athlete versus another.

Perhaps Philadelphia will get someone good in the upcoming draft (although, as I recall, 1986 IOTL was frustrating, starting with Len Bias). However, now that I recheck Wikipedia, the draft was not as bad as I remember it being.

Thanks for answering my questions, sashlon. :) Now I have a couple of other questions. Who was the center in Chicago? Barkley, as I recall, played center in Philadelphia although he was 6'4" or so. I wonder if it might have helped him to play that position less often.

Perhaps Philadelphia will get someone good in the upcoming draft (although, as I recall, 1986 IOTL was frustrating, starting with Len Bias). However, now that I recheck Wikipedia, the draft was not as bad as I remember it being.

Thanks for answering my questions, sashlon. :) Now I have a couple of other questions. Who was the center in Chicago? Barkley, as I recall, played center in Philadelphia although he was 6'4" or so. I wonder if it might have helped him to play that position less often.

Frustrating happened before Len Bias for Philly in that draft. The day before the draft, we traded the #1 pick to Cleveland for Roy Hinson. That pick was five-time All-Star Brad Daugherty; Hinson played 105 nondescript games for Philly and was traded away (with Tim McCormick and a 2nd rounder) for Ben Coleman and Mike Gminski, who were equally nondescript.

Simple way to fix this: the Sixers (who got the pick from the Clippers in 1979 for Joe Bryant) would have no bearing on the result of that pick, so it'd probably still be #1 if the Clippers aren't meaningfully better. Just have us keep it and use it on Daugherty, or trade it for the impact player we had expected Hinson to be. Another small thing: with our 2nd rounder, we picked SG David Wingate. Two picks later: SG Jeff Hornacek (an OTL Sixer anyway, as we got him for the suddenly missing Charles Barkley.)

The current Bulls starting centre is Dave Corzine.

1986 NBA DRAFT

The 1986 NBA Draft would once again feature a seven footer as the main prize. Brad Daugherty from North Carolina was a clear first choice in a draft that seemed more like a lucky dip. So many of the prospects had questions about them.

One team that wouldn’t get the chance to pick Daugherty was the LA Clippers. They were in the Lottery, but their pick had been traded to Philadelphia seven years previously. New York were the clear favourite this time, but they had had their hearts broken by the lottery twelve months earlier.

Neither would the Seattle Supersonics be getting their pick. They had traded it to Boston in 1984. Thus the Celtics, reigning NBA champions had a lottery pick.

This time however, fate smiled on New York. The Knicks won the Lottery and would get the prize of picking Daugherty. The Lottery went as follows:

1. New York
2. Cleveland
3. Indiana
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia
6. Utah
7. Phoenix

On Draft day the Knicks gleefully picked Brad Daugherty to be their saviour. The Cleveland Cavaliers chose Maryland star Len Bias, a very talented player who many touted as a future superstar. Indiana chose Auburn forward Chuck Person.

1. New York Brad Daugherty (North Carolina) C
2. Cleveland Len Bias (Maryland) F
3. Indiana Chuck Person (Auburn) F

With the fourth pick the Celtics chose Duke point guard Johnny Dawkins and the Philadelphia 76ers chose Michigan big man Roy Tarpley with the fifth pick. Utah chose star Miami guard Ron Harper and Phoenix drafted centre William Bedford. The rest of the top picks were:

4. Boston Johnny Dawkins (Duke) G
5. Philadelphia Roy Tarpley (Michigan) C
6. Utah Ron Harper (Miami) G
7. Phoenix William Bedford (Memphis) C
8. Chicago Brad Sellers (Ohio State) F
9. San Antonio John Salley (Georgia Tech) F-C
10. Sacramento Kenny Walker (Kentucky) F
11. Washington Chris Washburn (NC State) C
12. Golden State Dell Curry (Virginia Tech) G

4. New York Chris Mullin (St. Johns) F
5. Seattle Xavier McDaniel (Wichita St.) F
6. Kansas City Jon Koncak (Southern Methodist) C

The Bulls had the seventh pick. They desperately needed to add backcourt depth to their roster. Unfortunately for them, the Draft was weak in backcourt talent. They decided to take a risk and selected little known Joe Dumars from McNeese State. Dumars was a good shooter and a strong defender. He was also a solid and steady locker room presence, something much needed for the Bulls. The remaining top ten picks were:

7. Chicago Joe Dumars (McNeese St.) G
8. Phoenix Joe Kleine (Arkansas) C
9. Atlanta Detlef Schrempf (Washington) F
10. Cleveland Charles Oakley (Virginia Union) F

Joe Dumars 7th overall? I'm very familiar with his career (I'm a Piston fan) and I know that he wasn't rated anywhere near that highly coming into that draft. He was picked 18th pick in OTL and even at that spot, many teams wouldn't have chosen him. Having him zoom up to 7th overall is a bit of a reach.

Joe Dumars 7th overall? I'm very familiar with his career (I'm a Piston fan) and I know that he wasn't rated anywhere near that highly coming into that draft. He was picked 18th pick in OTL and even at that spot, many teams wouldn't have chosen him. Having him zoom up to 7th overall is a bit of a reach.

Yeah, I know its a bit of a reach, but that said the Bulls needed a guard. If you look at all the top picks from '85, its all front court players. Dumas was the first decent guard picked. I figured it was unlikely but hardly impossible. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.