The '84 Draft: A Forever Different NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind if I borrow this from a Sixers perspective?

I don't know what it is, but I don't think I've ever seen a sports timeline on this site where Philadelphia teams ever turn out better than OTL. Often we're ignored, sometimes we're shafted (as here), but I begin to wonder if I have to write my own Philly-wank to see us be anything more than an afterthought. :(

Why not write a TL where you guys get Kobe? He's from Philly, after all. In the 1996 Draft, Philadelphia had the first pick, but they took Iverson instead. Iverson was an amazing player, but I think Kobe would have been better for you guys.

Mind if I borrow this from a Sixers perspective?

I don't know what it is, but I don't think I've ever seen a sports timeline on this site where Philadelphia teams ever turn out better than OTL. Often we're ignored, sometimes we're shafted (as here), but I begin to wonder if I have to write my own Philly-wank to see us be anything more than an afterthought. :(

Feel free! :)

1986-87 Pre Season

Philadelphia:
The Sixers were still a good team in 1986, however there was a growing sense that the current group’s window of opportunity for winning another title had passed. 1984 First rounder Mel Turpin had turned out to be a bust. All-time great Julius Erving announced that the upcoming 1986-87 season would be his last. Moses Malone was growing impatient in Philly. He was also upset that the Sixers had just drafted Roy Tarpley, a young big man who was obviously intended as a replacement for him. Moses asked to be traded.

In August, after fielding a few offers (some good, some ridiculous) the Sixers traded Moses Malone to Chicago for Dave Corzine, Sidney Green (F), Kyle Macy (G), ’86 Lottery pick Brad Sellers (F) and Chicago’s 1989 First round pick.

Philly also traded Turpin to Utah for forward Fred Roberts and Utah’s 1988 First round pick. Now with Tarpley and Sellers, Philadelphia looked forward to a new future.

Chicago:
The addition of Moses Malone changed expectations in Chicago. Adding free agent guard John Paxson to the roster helped their backcourt depth. The feeling was very much win soon. They’d given up a young prospect (Sellers) and a future pick, and Malone was only under contract until 1988.

The Combo of Barkley and Malone inside was exciting for Bulls fans, and with the hiring of yet another new coach (Chris Ford), Chicago looked forward to the new season very optimistically.

Seattle and Milwaukee:
The Milwaukee Bucks traded centre Alton Lister and their ’87 First rounder to Seattle for centre Jack Sikma.

New York and the LA Clippers:
New York traded Bernard King (now trying a comeback from injury) and a couple of second round picks to the Clippers for veteran forward Cedric Maxwell and the Clips 1988 First round pick.

Utah and Detroit:
The Utah Jazz traded star forward Adrian Dantley to the Detroit Pistons for Kent Benson and Kelly Tripucka.

Last edited:
1986-87 Pre Season

Philadelphia:
The Sixers were still a good team in 1986, however there was a growing sense that the current group’s window of opportunity for winning another title had passed. 1984 First rounder Mel Turpin had turned out to be a bust. All-time great Julius Erving announced that the upcoming 1986-87 season would be his last. Moses Malone was growing impatient in Philly. He was also upset that the Sixers had just drafted Roy Tarpley, a young big man who was obviously intended as a replacement for him. Moses asked to be traded.

In August, after fielding a few offers (some good, some ridiculous) the Sixers traded Moses Malone to Chicago for Dave Corzine, Sidney Green (F), Kyle Macy (G), ’86 Lottery pick Brad Sellers (F) and Chicago’s 1989 First round pick.

Philly also traded Turpin to Utah for forward Fred Roberts and Utah’s 1988 First round pick. Now with Tarpley and Sellers, Philadelphia looked forward to a new future.

Chicago:
The addition of Moses Malone changed expectations in Chicago. Adding free agent guard John Paxson to the roster helped their backcourt depth. The feeling was very much win soon. They’d given up a young prospect (Sellers) and a future pick, and Malone was only under contract until 1988.

The Combo of Barkley and Malone inside was exciting for Bulls fans, and with the hiring of yet another new coach (Chris Ford), Chicago looked forward to the new season very optimistically.

Seattle and Milwaukee:
The struggling Seattle Supersonics traded centre Alton Lister and their ’87 First rounder to Milwaukee for centre Jack Sikma.

New York traded Bernard King (now trying a comeback from injury) and a couple of second round picks to the Clippers for veteran forward Cedric Maxwell and the Clips 1988 First round pick.

Utah and Detroit:
The Utah Jazz traded star forward Adrian Dantley to the Detroit Pistons for Kent Benson and Kelly Tripucka.

Oh no, we gave up our 1989 pick! What a nightmare! :p (Liking the Barkley/Malone combo, BTW)

1986-87 Pre Season

Philadelphia:

Chicago:

Seattle and Milwaukee:
The struggling Seattle Supersonics traded center Jack Sikma and their ’87 First rounder to Milwaukee for center Alton Lister.

Utah and Detroit:

Fixed the Milwaukee-Seattle trade for you.

Any chance we see Glen Rice end up somewhere he can be an impact player from day one; a 'Final Piece' sort of guy who changes the whole direction of the franchise?

I'm a casual basketball fan, but there's been players I always had an affinity for, Glenn Rice was one of them. I thought he could have been huge if he played for a contender in his prime.

Also, any chance Mitch Richmond stays with the Warriors, or are the Warriors doomed to the same horrific mess they've been OTL?

Also, it'd be kinda cool to see X Man be 'The Final Piece' somewhere.

Maybe in Oakland with Ewing, Tim Bug and Rock? (I'm a sap for the Warriors...I don't know why.:eek:)

The'84 Draft: A Forever Different NBA

1986-87 NBA Season

Houston’s season:
Ralph Sampson recovered well from his knee injury. The Rockets steamrolled through the season posting a 62-20 mark, the best record in the league. Michael Jordan won his first MVP award (30.5ppg, 6.1rpg, 7.2apg, 2.9spg). Sampson was an All Star again (19.5ppg, 12.6rpg, 3.2bpg) and young Karl Malone (16.5ppg, 10.9rpg) was far exceeding expectations. In four regular season matchups, Houston was 4-0 against the Lakers. None of the games were close.

Midway through the season the Rockets traded swingman Lewis Lloyd to Phoenix for guard Jay Humphries. This deal would be the cause of bad blood between the two franchises for years, as Lloyd was soon out of the league due to drug problems. Humphries became a solid contributor for the Rockets, working his way into the starting five.

With Humphries, Robert Reid and Jim Peterson providing stellar support, the Rockets ‘Big 3’ looked destined to go all the way this time.

Portland’s season:
Akeem Olajuwon (24.4ppg, 14.0rpg, 4.1bpg) won his first Defensive Player of the Year award in ’86-87. He continued to develop his offensive skills and was now clearly the best centre in the NBA. Clyde Drexler had also established himself as a superstar, and the Blazers were becoming a juggernaut. They had the best home record in the league (38-3) and won the Pacific with a 60-22 mark.

Chicago’s season:
With addition of Moses Malone, the Bulls were transformed into a contender overnight. Malone and Barkley (23.5ppg, 12.1rpg) were both All Stars, and Dumars made the All-Defensive Team. The Bulls posted a 51-31 record, good for second in the Central division, just one game behind the Atlanta Hawks.

Golden State’s season:
The ’86-87 season was a disaster for the Warriors. Patrick Ewing broke his foot and missed 45 games, and Purvis Short also missed most of the season due to injury. The Warriors fell back into the Lottery with a 29-53 season. In the 37 games he played, Ewing (19.5ppg, 12.2rpg, 2.9bpg) looked fantastic. The Future still looked good for the Warriors.

New York’s season:
Brad Daugherty (17.5ppg, 9.2rpg) won Rookie of the Year honours and teamed with Chris Mullin (19.9ppg) to give the Knicks a dangerous offense. New York profited from the vacuum in the Atlantic division created by Philadelphia’s rebuild and Washington’s woes (more on that later). The Knicks finished with a 42-40 record, good for second in the Atlantic division.

The League:
In the Eastern Conference, the defending champion Boston Celtics overcame a rash of injuries to top the Atlantic division with a 58-24 record. Atlanta, Chicago and Detroit all won at least 50 games in the Central division. The Philadelphia 76ers suffered an ignominious fall from glory with a 28-54 record in Julius Irving’s final season, however their young big men (Tarpley and Sellers) both showed signs of developing into good players. The Washington Bullets also had a horror year with Sam Bowie missing the entire season, and rookie Chris Washburn beset by drug issues. Washburn was a bust and would play only 56 games in his pro career. In Cleveland, Len Bias had a terrific rookie campaign (18.1ppg, 7.0rpg) but the Cavaliers were still a Lottery team.

In the West, the Rockets (62-20), Blazers (60-22) and Lakers (59-23) dominated. LA made line-up changes starting AC Green and Byron Scott in an effort to get younger and more athletic and the move paid off with both having great years. The Utah Jazz took a big step to relevancy posting a 46-36 record. John Stockton and Ron Harper gelled beautifully and quickly became one of the best backcourts in the league. The Clippers went 10-72 as Bernard King missed the whole season.

In the Playoffs Boston faced a tough second round series against the tough Detroit Pistons, but won it in six games. Chicago and Atlanta fought a thrilling seven game series with Charles Barkley and Dominique Wilkins going head to head. In the end, the Bulls won the seventh game in Atlanta with Barkley scoring 48 points in the best game of his career. The Celtics defeated the Bulls in the Conference Finals in six games, but Chicago was very competitive, and Barkley was the outstanding player in the series.

In the West, Houston suffered a huge blow in their first round series against Denver with Michael Jordan breaking his foot in game two. He would be lost for the rest of the Playoffs. The Rockets advanced, but were beaten by Utah in the Second round in six games.

Portland defeated the Lakers in six games with Olajuwon and Drexler out running and out jumping Magic and Kareem. Many people now began asking if Showtime was effectively dead. The Blazers swept Utah in the Western Conference Finals.

In the Finals, Portland dominated the Celtics. Olajuwon had his way, with Robert Parish struggling with an ankle injury. The Celtics guards were unable to contain Drexler, and even Bird’s outstanding play wasn’t enough to give the Celtics a chance. At the end of their 110-99 game five victory, the Blazers celebrated on the Boston Garden court. It was the franchise’s second title. Olajuwon was the clear choice as Finals MVP.

NEXT: The 1987 NBA Draft

I had a post ready about how, with Cleveland having likely still suffered the Don Rogers death from an overdose, it makes sense that Len Bias would be saved, simply because the Cavs can take precautions knowing they're taking Bias. However, I checked and it wasn't early in the offseason, but actually late June that Rogers died, 8 days *after* Bias.

So, more likely he's just out with different people, having just been drafted by Cleveland, and therefore doesn't have his overdose. Whether he still has a drug problem I don't know, but my hunch is that if the Rogers death still happens, it might not be as national a story but locally it would still be huge and might cause Bias to seek treatment.

I had a post ready about how, with Cleveland having likely still suffered the Don Rogers death from an overdose, it makes sense that Len Bias would be saved, simply because the Cavs can take precautions knowing they're taking Bias. However, I checked and it wasn't early in the offseason, but actually late June that Rogers died, 8 days *after* Bias.

So, more likely he's just out with different people, having just been drafted by Cleveland, and therefore doesn't have his overdose. Whether he still has a drug problem I don't know, but my hunch is that if the Rogers death still happens, it might not be as national a story but locally it would still be huge and might cause Bias to seek treatment.

Well, when the Celtics took him I imagine he was all excited about being able to play with the 66-16 defending world champions, Larry Bird, Robert Parish, and all of that and he decided to go on a crazy coke bender.

If Cleveland had taken him, the only overdose you'd have to worry about Len Bias having is alcohol poisoning.

Regarding Len Bias, I figured I could get away with butterflying away his death. Same with Ralph Sampson's injuries (maybe :rolleyes:).

The Expansion is going to give a headaches. I'm going need a spreadsheet with all the alternate rosters soon. :D

The 1987 NBA Draft Lottery

For the fifth year in a row the top draft prospect was a seven footer. This time however, there were some complications. Everyone felt that David Robinson (Navy) was the consensus number one pick but he came with complications – his 2 year Military Service commitment. This mean that whichever team chose him couldn’t have him until the 89-90 season.

The favourite to win the lottery were the lowly Los Angeles Clippers. They had just suffered through the ignominy of a 10-72 horror season. Clippers owner Donald Sterling and GM Elgin Baylor were in a bind. They weren’t sure they could really afford to wait two years for Robinson. As fate would have it, the Clippers won the Lottery. Now they would have to make difficult and fateful decisions.

Lottery order:

1. LA Clippers
2. San Antonio
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. Golden State
6. Phoenix
7. Cleveland

Leading up to the Draft, Baylor entered serious negotiations with the San Antonio Spurs. Twenty four hours before the Draft it was announced that the Clippers would trade the Number One pick, their 1993 First Round pick and cash to San Antonio for John Salley, the number two pick and San Antonio’s 1988 and 1989 First Round picks. Both organisations felt good about the trade. Time would tell who had won it.

Great timeline you got here. If I may ask, will the Mavericks break into the conference finals anytime soon? I still think there's a possibility that they trade Aguirre if the price is right.

Great timeline you got here. If I may ask, will the Mavericks break into the conference finals anytime soon? I still think there's a possibility that they trade Aguirre if the price is right.

Actually I have been trying to figure out ways to work Dallas into the story. They have a pretty good roster at this point, although I think Portland, Houston and the Lakers are all clearly ahead of them.

An Aguirre trade is definitely on the cards. I don't think I'll use the OTL deal with Detroit though. The Pistons kind of ripped them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.