Sports What Ifs.

I have a couple of unrelated ideas:

1) What if the National League never contracted out the Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Spiders, Louisville, Cardinals, and Washington Senators and how would the American League play out if it were to do so at all?

2) I know someone asked what if Nebraska won the Big 12 championship game in 2009, which would mean Cincinnati of the Big East goes to the 2010 BCS Championship game as ranked #2. However, what if West Virginia never lost to Pittsburgh in 2007 and thus would be ranked #1 in the BCS Standings and head to the 2008 Championship game (they were ranked at #2 before Pittsburgh beat them). How does conference realignment in both scenarios play out?

1) What if the National League never contracted out the Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Spiders, Louisville, Cardinals, and Washington Senators and how would the American League play out if it were to do so at all?

2) I know someone asked what if Nebraska won the Big 12 championship game in 2009, which would mean Cincinnati of the Big East goes to the 2010 BCS Championship game as ranked #2. However, what if West Virginia never lost to Pittsburgh in 2007 and thus would be ranked #1 in the BCS Standings and head to the 2008 Championship game (they were ranked at #2 before Pittsburgh beat them). How does conference realignment in both scenarios play out?

In regards to #2 I don’t think much changes as they’d have to play Ohio State and personally I think Ohio State barely beats them but that’s my Big Ten bias showing. If West Virginia won however they might get a serious look from the SEC and might get in over Mizzou and join along with Texas A&M. At least divisions would make geographical sense again.

As for Mizzou in that scenario, I think they either stay in the Big 12 or join Rutgers in the Big Ten. Delaney always wanted to be in NY as commish so I think Rutgers has an edge over Maryland. This then means the Big 12 is stuck at 9 and probably tries to add Louisville, Cincinnati and South Florida as they were former BCS conference members. A worst case scenario might involve Texas and Oklahoma going to the PAC 12 but Texas seemed happy and Oklahoma doesn’t want to leave Okie State behind.

As for the rest, the AAC is left with Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, East Carolina, UCF, and Temple. They’d probably still add Navy in football and get Army to join in and to round it out to 12 I could see Marshall and maybe Southern Miss in the league. I’m at work now so I might continue with more scenarios later but it certainly might make the Mountaineers more attractive to the SEC and is a better cultural fit than Mizzou

You would have to avert the disastrous 1899 campaign for the Spiders, and that starts with a forward-thinking owner pushing a rule - a rather obvious one - that no one can own a stake in more than one team at a time. That dumpster fire of a team was brought on by the Spiders’ owners, two brothers, buying the St. Louis team at the same time as owning the Spiders and shipping anyone who was worth a shit to St. Louis (called the Perfectos at the time.)

Before that, the Spiders were actually a pretty good team. So if instead, those two brothers are forced to sell the Spiders before buying the Perfectos, local ownership could keep them afloat and make them a viable draw, meaning that the NL decided it’s worth it to keep them around.

I’m not sure what else would have had to happen to save both Baltimore and DC’s teams as well as the hapless Louisville Colonels. If I had to guess, the right move would be to have either the Orioles or Senators move - say, Detroit - and set up the Colonels as a second Chicago team.

If they really want to put a stranglehold on the sport, they could expand some more - Milwaukee is obvious, and MSP would work as well. They could go back to either Baltimore or DC (or Detroit if they don’t move at all) and then...Hartford?

What would it take for baseball to become either THE international sport or the same level of international reach as soccer?
The main barrier was equipment cost, yet Latins children played with improvise balls and glove(or gloveless) and some with bottlecaps and tree branches even...it just need the support, maybe French and German Loved it for the dry spring and summer months?

Maybe a different china(stronger or one that balkanize) like Japanese loved the sports and adopted it too? Indians(and pakis,etc) considered cricket too much British aristocratic sport and adopted the more culture neutral baseball too?

If the 1994 MLB season was able to be finished to its completion, would Tony Gwynn have still collected his 3,000th hit halfway through the '99 campaign?

Here is a "what if" for everyone:

February 13, 2011:
Days before the start of spring training Milwaukee Brewers GM Doug Melvin is at Miller Park on a cold day - there is a table with four chairs. Milwaukee media is buzzing - Mark Attanasio's private jet has been busy the past couple of days, and there have been rumors and buzz about something being up.

He walks out, joined by manager Ron Roenicke, Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, and newly-acquired Zack Greinke.

"Today, I am thrilled to announce that we have come to terms with Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Rickie Weeks, and Zack Greinke on deals that will keep them in Milwaukee through the 2020 season..."

I did a timeline with the pod of Robison not buying the St. Louis club, the Perfectos were the ines to fold. If I recall, they were in bankruptcy, and Louisville was in bad shape.. Whether they'd have gone down to 8 teams or 10 I don't know. I have OTL Cardinals in the A.L., forming the Heavyweights League.

Speaking of bankruptcy, the Braves struggled a lot in the mid-30s, and in 1934 rumors came around of a move to Baltimore... but Montreal was another thought. A team there that early would be interesting, could they have stayed?

Apparently, the reason that Ron Harper was traded was that he was caught socializing with suspected drug traffickers:

When he found out, Gordon Gund, the Cavs' owner, said that they needed to trade him right away, even though no drug charges were filed against Harper.

They ended up trading him to the Clippers for Danny Ferry, and the rest is history. Cleveland was unable to get by the Bulls without him.

However, what if cooler heads prevailed? What if they waited to see if Harper was really guilty?

Apparently, the reason that Ron Harper was traded was that he was caught socializing with suspected drug traffickers:

When he found out, Gordon Gund, the Cavs' owner, said that they needed to trade him right away, even though no drug charges were filed against Harper.

They ended up trading him to the Clippers for Danny Ferry, and the rest is history. Cleveland was unable to get by the Bulls without him.

However, what if cooler heads prevailed? What if they waited to see if Harper was really guilty?
He is getting trade as he might want out such bad owner

I remember looking on Dirty Laundry of Ewing going into the 1984 Draft alongside Michael Jordan and both ending up on the Houston Rockets. Regardless of team, I am more curious as to the consequences of both players actually being on the same team.

He had a lot of injury issues as did Mark Price and Brad Daugherty. They had some great talent and wish they could have gotten a title. But I dont think keeping Harper would have gotten them over the hump. In fact, their best chance was arguably the season that Jordan beat them with the iconic shot.

He had a lot of injury issues as did Mark Price and Brad Daugherty. They had some great talent and wish they could have gotten a title. But I dont think keeping Harper would have gotten them over the hump. In fact, their best chance was arguably the season that Jordan beat them with the iconic shot.

I think those started after he was traded to the Clippers, though. Could be the Clipper Curse :).

What if, instead of Keith Lee (1) (whom they drafted in OTL), the Chicago Bulls draft power forward Karl Malone (who went #13 to the Utah Jazz in OTL)?

Assuming the Bulls still manage to get Pippen in 1987, the Bulls are going to dominate most of the 1990s...

(1) The basketball player, not the wrestler of the same name...

Last edited:
What if, instead of Keith Lee (1) (whom they drafted in OTL), the Chicago Bulls draft power forward Karl Malone (who went #13 to the Utah Jazz in OTL)?

Assuming the Bulls still manage to get Pippen in 1987, the Bulls are going to dominate most of the 1990s...

(1) The basketball player, not the wrestler of the same name...

On draft night 1987, the Bulls still draft Polynice and Horace Grant, but they trade Horace to the Sonics instead of Polynice (the Bulls didn't have a big man).

With a big three of MJ, Malone, and Pippen, the Bulls overcome the Pistons a year earlier, and probably win more than six titles (they may win from 1990-93 and 95-98 or 99).

I looked at their 2008 season. They were 9-7, and had four losses by four points or less. If Favre is healthy at the end of that season, I can see a 12-win team that year, at least. Favre probably breaks their heart at some point in the playoffs, though.

However, Gruden stays another year, and they are picking near the end of round 1. Maybe they get Hakeem Nicks to bolster the weapons around Favre, and then add Terrance Knighton at the end of Round 2 (Chris Hovan was 30, and would only go on to play one more year in the NFL).

In 09, the Bucs finished 3-13. They probably win about five more games with Favre, but 9-7 doesn't cut the mustard in the NFC WC race that year. Then, in 2010, if he still falls off a cliff, they will be looking for a new QB in 2011 (like Dalton or Kapernick).