Sports What Ifs.

Here's a very simple one.

What if the Astros didn't cheat in 2017? (and 2018, but 2017 is the big one since they won that year and not 2018)

What if the Astros didn't cheat in 2017? (and 2018, but 2017 is the big one since they won that year and not 2018)
Why they even cheated? For me it looked didn't need it...maybe the did beats the royals in 2015 so never need cheating?

I have heard about this. Wasn't this around the 1989 trade deadline?

Wow! I didn't know that they could have gotten Buhner and Vizquel. If they have all those players into 1991-92 (and beyond), they probably don't have their downward spiral. Also, they would have been better off avoiding Bobby Bonilla (let him go to the Phils).

I think winter meetings in 1988 up until before ST in 1989. It went through many incarnations. (There was even a proposal with a multi team trade that would have seen Wade Boggs go to KC! https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1989-05-27-8901270458-story.html )

Before I answer this, I'd like to clarify that I'm a Mets fan, so I really don't have a horse in this race. At the very most, I was hoping the Dodgers would win in 2017, so take that however you choose to.

The Astros are an absurdly talented team, first and foremost. After all, as is frequently brought up in my social circles, you may be able to have the signs, but there is a special amount of effort actually needed to pull off hitting a ball that travels at 100 MPH, especially hitting it so powerfully that it lands 400 ft away. So, let's say that AJ Hinch told Alex Cora (and Beltran, for that matter) something to the tune of "cut it the hell out, or get the hell out" early in the season after he realizes just how bad it would look if discovered. I think that, with the offensive weapons they had partnered with the all-around elite pitching, they would likely still win their division and at least 90-95 games, with some wins being taken off because of the late-game implications of the scandal, and others just due to butterflies. They make the postseason, probably still the second seed in the AL. From here, it's a crapshoot, although it's overwhelmingly likely that the Dodgers tear through the NL like they did IOTL, with the AL remaining competitive between the Indians (who could end up defeating the Yankees in the ALDS), the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Astros. My money would be on the Indians facing the Dodgers in the series, with LA winning in six.

After that, the butterflies really begin to take hold; it's written in the stars that Cora would go to the Sox, but if the Yankees lose to the Indians, would they still fire Girardi? Would they hire someone other than Boone? If the Yankees go to the World Series or, (god help us) win it, what ramifications would that have? The Red Sox were a monster team in 2018, and there need to be further considerations about how much they were aided by sign-stealing. If it wasn't too major a factor, they'd likely still win 104+ games and the fall classic. If it was as big a deal as some have made it, could they fall in the playoffs to the Astros, could the Indians go three-peat as AL Pennant winners? Maybe the Dodgers go all the way and win it.

What I'm saying is the Astros are a very talented team, but their cheating is a major question mark, even after all of the investigations and inquiries. The most likely answer is that, if they didn't cheat in 2017 (or beyond) they'd probably still make it to the World Series at some point in this four-year span, and they might still win it. They are just too talented not to. The effects are unquestionable, though. Alex Cora to the Red Sox is a powerful consequence of their success, as is Aaron Boone's rise to the command of the Bronx Bombers. Even looking to the future, the Tigers with Hinch could end up as contenders in two-to-three years, and the Red Sox are surging as of the time of writing. Carlos Beltran, without the scandal, could stay on as Mets manager (although I'd be lying if I said that would turn out well), and he would have fewer obstacles when he tries to make his case for Cooperstown in the next few years. But, ultimately, there is something we should all remember; Aaron Judge was terrible in the playoffs.

Before I answer this, I'd like to clarify that I'm a Mets fan, so I really don't have a horse in this race. At the very most, I was hoping the Dodgers would win in 2017, so take that however you choose to.

The Astros are an absurdly talented team, first and foremost. After all, as is frequently brought up in my social circles, you may be able to have the signs, but there is a special amount of effort actually needed to pull off hitting a ball that travels at 100 MPH, especially hitting it so powerfully that it lands 400 ft away. So, let's say that AJ Hinch told Alex Cora (and Beltran, for that matter) something to the tune of "cut it the hell out, or get the hell out" early in the season after he realizes just how bad it would look if discovered. I think that, with the offensive weapons they had partnered with the all-around elite pitching, they would likely still win their division and at least 90-95 games, with some wins being taken off because of the late-game implications of the scandal, and others just due to butterflies. They make the postseason, probably still the second seed in the AL. From here, it's a crapshoot, although it's overwhelmingly likely that the Dodgers tear through the NL like they did IOTL, with the AL remaining competitive between the Indians (who could end up defeating the Yankees in the ALDS), the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Astros. My money would be on the Indians facing the Dodgers in the series, with LA winning in six.

After that, the butterflies really begin to take hold; it's written in the stars that Cora would go to the Sox, but if the Yankees lose to the Indians, would they still fire Girardi? Would they hire someone other than Boone? If the Yankees go to the World Series or, (god help us) win it, what ramifications would that have? The Red Sox were a monster team in 2018, and there need to be further considerations about how much they were aided by sign-stealing. If it wasn't too major a factor, they'd likely still win 104+ games and the fall classic. If it was as big a deal as some have made it, could they fall in the playoffs to the Astros, could the Indians go three-peat as AL Pennant winners? Maybe the Dodgers go all the way and win it.

What I'm saying is the Astros are a very talented team, but their cheating is a major question mark, even after all of the investigations and inquiries. The most likely answer is that, if they didn't cheat in 2017 (or beyond) they'd probably still make it to the World Series at some point in this four-year span, and they might still win it. They are just too talented not to. The effects are unquestionable, though. Alex Cora to the Red Sox is a powerful consequence of their success, as is Aaron Boone's rise to the command of the Bronx Bombers. Even looking to the future, the Tigers with Hinch could end up as contenders in two-to-three years, and the Red Sox are surging as of the time of writing. Carlos Beltran, without the scandal, could stay on as Mets manager (although I'd be lying if I said that would turn out well), and he would have fewer obstacles when he tries to make his case for Cooperstown in the next few years. But, ultimately, there is something we should all remember; Aaron Judge was terrible in the playoffs.
As a Diamondbacks fan, I didn't really care about the scandal, just thought I'd get some interesting responses. I wanted Houston to win, since the Dodgers are our rivals and knocked us out that year, but if I knew Houston cheated, I probably would not have watched. I think without the cheating, LA would have won it all for sure. 2018 is interesting, but I think the Red Sox still beat the Dodgers that year. I like your replay though Calcaterra.

Beltran, without the scandal, could stay on as Mets manager (although I'd be lying if I said that would turn out well),
He would be better than Rojas, don't lie to ourselves in that regard.
with the AL remaining competitive between the Indians (who could end up defeating the Yankees in the ALDS)
Nope, Yankees outplayed the Indians when they got them on the edge of elimination, even chaos theory can't change that massive collapse. if anything Cleveland windows was shut hard in 2016.

The Astros are an absurdly talented team, first and foremost.
I add a better butterfly, they beat the Royals in 15, who win ALCS? I Dunno is 50-50 As bluejays rallied hard to beat the Rangers so could be a toss-up, regardless of who wins 2015 WS , without the trauma of that elimination that might kill cheating in their cradle

Last edited:
As a Diamondbacks fan, I didn't really care about the scandal, just thought I'd get some interesting responses. I wanted Houston to win, since the Dodgers are our rivals and knocked us out that year, but if I knew Houston cheated, I probably would not have watched. I think without the cheating, LA would have won it all for sure. 2018 is interesting, but I think the Red Sox still beat the Dodgers that year. I like your replay though Calcaterra.

Thank you! I agree that the Dodgers would win it all in 2017, without the trash can banging, and the Red Sox would likely still win the next year. In my opinion, it would be interesting to see how 2019 goes with all of that. The Astros would've lost some momentum without the 2017 title, and then Cora would leave and win almost immediately. Hinch would have a fire under his ass to finally bring it home after three appearances and a ton of potential.

He would be better than Rojas, don't lie to ourselves in that regard.

Nope, Yankees outplayed the Indians when they got them on the edge of elimination, even chaos theory can't change that massive collapse. if anything Cleveland windows was shut hard in 2016.

I add a better butterfly, they beat the Royals in 15, who win ALCS? I Dunno is 50-50 As bluejays rallied hard to beat the Rangers so could be a toss-up, regardless of who wins 2015 WS , without the trauma of that elimination that might kill cheating in their cradle

Say anything you want (I for one think that Rojas is the least inspired managerial choice in years), but at least Luis has significant coaching experience. It's not best to put an untested man into that position and expect anything other than a disaster in his first season.

I disagree with the idea that chaos theory can't change that. Firmly disagree. This is baseball we're talking about- a closer tips a pitch in June, loses the game, and we suddenly find ourselves in the midst of a slide. It's perfectly likely that the Indians could win.

Probably the Blue Jays. Man... those Blue Jays teams were a thing of beauty. But them against the 2015 Mets, and you have at least five games of great baseball.

I disagree with the idea that chaos theory can't change that. Firmly disagree. This is baseball we're talking about- a closer tips a pitch in June, loses the game, and we suddenly find ourselves in the midst of a slide. It's perfectly likely that the Indians could win.
Maybe because how i saw that series, but for me when yankess got that hit onward...the Indians couldn't answer at all, but possible a lucky break... i can't see them beating the astros.

Probably the Blue Jays. Man... those Blue Jays teams were a thing of beauty. But them against the 2015 Mets, and you have at least five games of great baseball.
If that happen, them astros cheating is butterflied away, not need as a loss vs red hot bluejays is nothing to be ashamed of

Maybe because how i saw that series, but for me when yankess got that hit onward...the Indians couldn't answer at all, but possible a lucky break... i can't see them beating the astros.

If that happen, them astros cheating is butterflied away, not need as a loss vs red hot bluejays is nothing to be ashamed of
If the Astros cheating is butterflied away, perhaps the Yankees win a couple of more World Series recently (2017, 2019)

Thank you! I agree that the Dodgers would win it all in 2017, without the trash can banging, and the Red Sox would likely still win the next year. In my opinion, it would be interesting to see how 2019 goes with all of that. The Astros would've lost some momentum without the 2017 title, and then Cora would leave and win almost immediately. Hinch would have a fire under his ass to finally bring it home after three appearances and a ton of potential.

Say anything you want (I for one think that Rojas is the least inspired managerial choice in years), but at least Luis has significant coaching experience. It's not best to put an untested man into that position and expect anything other than a disaster in his first season.

2019, i'd say the Nationals still get it. That team just got hot at the right time and it showed. Maybe the Yankees win that year or maybe the Dodgers if they bring Kenley Jansen in the eighth inning of game 5 against the Nats instead of Kershaw. Houston winning is possible, but I just can't see it. 2015 is also interesting, if the 'Stros beats KC in the LDS, we might see the Astros beat Toronto and play the Mets in the World Series. Blue Jays vs Mets 2015 also sounds interesting, i'd say it goes six or seven games, It's really a toss-up who wins that one.

2019, i'd say the Nationals still get it. That team just got hot at the right time and it showed. Maybe the Yankees win that year or maybe the Dodgers if they bring Kenley Jansen in the eighth inning of game 5 against the Nats instead of Kershaw. Houston winning is possible, but I just can't see it. 2015 is also interesting, if the 'Stros beats KC in the LDS, we might see the Astros beat Toronto and play the Mets in the World Series. Blue Jays vs Mets 2015 also sounds interesting, i'd say it goes six or seven games, It's really a toss-up who wins that one.
I think the Mets are cursed now, like the Red Sox were. They sold their souls to the devil for that ball going through Buckner's legs.

1988: Should have beaten the Dodgers easily (won 10 of 11 in the regular season that year), lost to them in 7 games in the NLCS.
1989: Should have won the NL East easily, lost to the Cubs.
1999: Kenny Rogers in Game 6 NLCS in Atlanta walking in the winning run.
2000: Lost Game 1 to the Yankees in the World Series when they had the lead, ultimately leading to them losing the series.
2006: Adam Wainwright striking out Carlos Beltran looking with the bases loaded in the last playoff game ever at Shea, Game 7 of that NLCS vs the Cards
2007: Blowing a 7 game lead to the Phillies with 17 games remaining in the season to lose the NL East.
2015: Lost some bizarre games against the Royals in that World Series

Last edited:
If the Astros cheating is butterflied away, perhaps the Yankees win a couple of more World Series recently (2017, 2019)
NAH, not with girardi or boone.

Is a toss up that make it so fun

NAH, not with girardi or boone.

Is a toss up that make it so fun
Girardi won a World Series with the Yankees (2009) and was still manager of the Yankees in 2017. Maybe Boone still fails in 2019 but the Yankees had a top team two years ago (not anymore though)

Girardi won a World Series with the Yankees (2009) and was still manager of the Yankees in 2017. Maybe Boone still fails in 2019 but the Yankees had a top team two years ago (not anymore though)
Girardi won thanks the superteam of jeter, rodriguez and co, once that collapse he was loss(see his stint with Phillies) Still they got luck ALE was a mess before Boston rebounded back a few times

Curses in sports are just a bad way of passing blame. The Mets fail because of organizational incompetence and imperfectly built teams. The Yankees wouldn’t win 2017; that Dodgers team could go the distance with anyone else. In 2019, as has been said, the Nationals got hot and ran with it, right to the end.