Saturday Morning AU Blocks

Nah, just putting it there. The E/I weekday slot will actually be separate from Fox Kids but syndicated by Disney to Fox stations- I’m thinking Bill Nye.
A very fitting addition for the market.
Meanwhile, Buzz Lightyear and Legend of Tarzan were both shows on Disney’s final season on UPN and launch programs for Toon Disney’s version of Jetix. I actually wanted Tarzan on weekdays as well, but I know how much both the Action Block and Jetix loved bringing back shows to cash in on popular movies (which is, spoiler alert, how you see X-Men come back for X2 in 2003), and Buzz has almost twice as many episodes as Tarzan, and Tarzan is a newer show that only premiered “last year”, so I’m fine with having it as a Saturday exclusive for now. Plus, I do see Disney cutting Digimon down to one slot before ending the series.
Understandable.
They’re the money-making time slots in general across all Saturday morning lineups, let’s be real.
True. And if we were being real, CBS proved this to be fact for half the 90s.
Yep. I mean, there’s still ABC, but Disney owning ABC means that shows can air on both ABC and cable at the same time, which can’t be said for UPN.
Yeah.
By the start of fall 2002, House of Mouse still had 26 episodes to air. Lloyd in Space had seventeen. The Weekenders had five, and Disney had already shifted episode premieres to UPN in fall 2001.
Plus, it helps that House of Mouse brings some parental brand recognition. Yes, the Fox lineup has Spider-Man, Power Rangers, Buzz Lightyear, and Tarzan, but who can resist the allure of Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck?
I know you brought back Coconut Fred because in the DM we discussed how it was a non-zero possibility Cookie Jar picked it up, but I have loads of questions beside that.
Shoot your shot.
Why did Magi-Nation stop being E/I?
Because I felt like there was enough for the three-hour limit to allow Magi-Nation to graduate beyond education.
Why isn’t Nanoboy E/I despite being E/I when it aired on Vortexx?
Different demographics, I guess. Vortexx has Yu-Gi-Oh!, Justice League, Iron Man, Sonic X, and Dragon Ball Z, meaning Nanoboy didn't have a chance if it wasn't for the educational requirement. This block has more of a comedic and light-hearted edge with its biggest stars being Johnny Test and the residents of Busytown.
Why are Mona the Vampire E/I and A Miss Mallard Mystery E/I when they WEREN’T E/I when they aired on ThisTV?
Because they aim for a female audience, I suppose. I know that sounds backwards and wrong, but that's how it was before 2010.
Why is Gerald McBoing Boing E/I when it aired on a block that partially sold itself on NOT being educational (though you can say the same about Peppa Pig, which Nick Jr. claims is educational, and Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, which was E/I when it ran on Qubo)?
Because Tickle U was on a cable channel that initially thought Tom and Jerry was educational, while this is a broadcast network block that has to answer to the FCC. This also explains why Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs was E/I on Qubo.
Why did you drop Spectacular Spider-Man earlier than IOTL?
Probably because Spider-Man didn't fit the Cookie Jar-themed rebrand.
Why is the most watched OTA Saturday morning block unearthing stuff from years ago in prime-ish slots?
Because they were cheap? Because broadcast television was on the decline in those hours? I don't know.
Why are there preschool shows at the beginning of the block and at the end of the block but with the older skewing action shows in the middle?
I thought the older-skewing action shows being in the middle would be good, especially if we're still talking between 9 and 11 AM.
Why, why, WHY?!?
With all these questions you were asking, I have a sinking feeling you despise my take on this. If there's any part you like, please let me know.

Nah, just putting it there. The E/I weekday slot will actually be separate from Fox Kids but syndicated by Disney to Fox stations- I’m thinking Bill Nye. Meanwhile, Buzz Lightyear and Legend of Tarzan were both shows on Disney’s final season on UPN and launch programs for Toon Disney’s version of Jetix. I actually wanted Tarzan on weekdays as well, but I know how much both the Action Block and Jetix loved bringing back shows to cash in on popular movies (which is, spoiler alert, how you see X-Men come back for X2 in 2003), and Buzz has almost twice as many episodes as Tarzan, and Tarzan is a newer show that only premiered “last year”, so I’m fine with having it as a Saturday exclusive for now. Plus, I do see Disney cutting Digimon down to one slot before ending the series.

They’re the money-making time slots in general across all Saturday morning lineups, let’s be real.

Yep. I mean, there’s still ABC, but Disney owning ABC means that shows can air on both ABC and cable at the same time, which can’t be said for UPN.

By the start of fall 2002, House of Mouse still had 26 episodes to air. Lloyd in Space had seventeen. The Weekenders had five, and Disney had already shifted episode premieres to UPN in fall 2001.

I know you brought back Coconut Fred because in the DM we discussed how it was a non-zero possibility Cookie Jar picked it up, but I have loads of questions beside that. Why did Magi-Nation stop being E/I? Why isn’t Nanoboy E/I despite being E/I when it aired on Vortexx? Why are Mona the Vampire E/I and A Miss Mallard Mystery E/I when they WEREN’T E/I when they aired on ThisTV? Why is Gerald McBoing Boing E/I when it aired on a block that partially sold itself on NOT being educational (though you can say the same about Peppa Pig, which Nick Jr. claims is educational, and Harry and His Bucket Full of Dinosaurs, which was E/I when it ran on Qubo)? Why did you drop Spectacular Spider-Man earlier than IOTL? Why is the most watched OTA Saturday morning block unearthing stuff from years ago in prime-ish slots? Why are there preschool shows at the beginning of the block and at the end of the block but with the older skewing action shows in the middle? Why, why, WHY?!?
wow

And if we were being real, CBS proved this to be fact for half the 90s.
And technically until they stopped.
Because I felt like there was enough for the three-hour limit to allow Magi-Nation to graduate beyond education.
I mean, it’s still educational. And if they want to fill up E/I requirements while doing as little as possible, they would make DAMN sure their existing lineup had enough E/I to compensate, or at least they had enough popular and notable E/I in their library to draw some people in. Hell, half of Cookie Jar TV’s lifespan had them air Sabrina reruns from a decade before.
Different demographics, I guess. Vortexx has Yu-Gi-Oh!, Justice League, Iron Man, Sonic X, and Dragon Ball Z, meaning Nanoboy didn't have a chance if it wasn't for the educational requirement. This block has more of a comedic and light-hearted edge with its biggest stars being Johnny Test and the residents of Busytown.
I mean, I’d get it if we were talking about when Vortexx aired Chuck and Friends, or when Fox Kids aired the Magic School Bus, but Nanoboy is still a superhero show. It kinda makes sense. And they also picked up the comedic Bolts and Blip.
Because they aim for a female audience, I suppose. I know that sounds backwards and wrong, but that's how it was before 2010.
I don’t think that’s how it works. “Has a woman” probably wouldn’t fly as educational merit with the FCC.
Probably because Spider-Man didn't fit the Cookie Jar-themed rebrand.
To be fair, it didn’t really fit with 4Kids either.
Because they were cheap? Because broadcast television was on the decline in those hours? I don't know.
I thought you would know, considering you came up with this. I mean, CBS could get away with coasting on Sabrina reruns because nobody cared. But the CW is the top rated broadcast kids block and no matter how many people quit watching broadcast, they’re going to want to REMAIN the top broadcast kids block. Especially since this is when they still had competition (ABC was somehow drawing viewers in with THEIR reruns of Disney Channel shows, and the main reason 4Kids stopped airing on Fox was to go air on the CW instead).
I thought the older-skewing action shows being in the middle would be good, especially if we're still talking between 9 and 11 AM.
Yeah, but common practice and common sense is to gradually age up the lineup later and later in the morning. You don’t do the reverse (unless you’re Kids WB and think that “big kids go first”), and you don’t go forwards only to switch BACK.
With all these questions you were asking, I have a sinking feeling you despise my take on this.
I am sorry, but your math is just not mathing.
If there's any part you like, please let me know.
I… like adding the E/I content gradually leading up to fall 2008?

And technically until they stopped.

I mean, it’s still educational. And if they want to fill up E/I requirements while doing as little as possible, they would make DAMN sure their existing lineup had enough E/I to compensate, or at least they had enough popular and notable E/I in their library to draw some people in. Hell, half of Cookie Jar TV’s lifespan had them air Sabrina reruns from a decade before.

I mean, I’d get it if we were talking about when Vortexx aired Chuck and Friends, or when Fox Kids aired the Magic School Bus, but Nanoboy is still a superhero show. It kinda makes sense. And they also picked up the comedic Bolts and Blip.

I don’t think that’s how it works. “Has a woman” probably wouldn’t fly as educational merit with the FCC.

To be fair, it didn’t really fit with 4Kids either.

I thought you would know, considering you came up with this. I mean, CBS could get away with coasting on Sabrina reruns because nobody cared. But the CW is the top rated broadcast kids block and no matter how many people quit watching broadcast, they’re going to want to REMAIN the top broadcast kids block. Especially since this is when they still had competition (ABC was somehow drawing viewers in with THEIR reruns of Disney Channel shows, and the main reason 4Kids stopped airing on Fox was to go air on the CW instead).

Yeah, but common practice and common sense is to gradually age up the lineup later and later in the morning. You don’t do the reverse (unless you’re Kids WB and think that “big kids go first”), and you don’t go forwards only to switch BACK.

I am sorry, but your math is just not mathing.

I… like adding the E/I content gradually leading up to fall 2008?
Look, I'm just going to level with you. I put absolutely zero forethought into making those schedules. I apologize for my irrational execution.