Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Before The Mouse
  • Walter Elias Disney was born on December 5th, 1901 in Chicago, Illinois. A lot of Walt's childhood was spent moving around from farms in Missouri to the streets of Chicago. At just 16 years old, Walt deployed to France to serve as a ambulance driver for World War I.

"I actually developed a bit of a smoking habit when I was in France.... I remember being assigned to work with a man during the later half of my time out there, who hated that I smoked. This was before the long term health problems were well known, so when he told me to stop, I would just tell him to focus on his job. Then one day we were having one of our arguments and almost immediately after I was done lighting one of my cigarettes, he grabbed the box, chucked it out the back of our vehicle and it got run over by the guys behind us. That was pretty much the last time I ever smoked, who knows where my life would be right now if it wasn't for that moment" - Walt Disney, 1971 interview

Walt returned to the States in October of 1919, where he would soon get a job at advertising firm Presman-Rubin and befriend fellow animator, Ub Iwerks. In 1923, Walt would move to Hollywood, California, in hopes of becoming a film director. The Walt Disney Company, then known as "Disney Brothers Studio" would open in 1926 and began working several theatrical shorts for studios like Universal and Columbia. However, troubles would begin in 1928. Due to negotiations with film producer Charles Mintz going south, Walt would end up loosing the majority of his staff and his most famous character at the time, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, to Universal.

He and his remaining crew would brainstorm numerous ideas for new shorts and characters but it all seemed like the company had already started its death clock. That was until, Walt began to reminisce about his old pet mouse.

Walt_Disney_1946.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my very first alternate history timeline. This one mainly follows the story of the Walt Disney Company after Walt (who doesn't have a smoking problem ITTL) loses the rights to Oswald. However, Disney will not be only one we'll cover. What will Universal do with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit? What will happen to companies like Fleischer Studios? Will there be new sports teams and locations? Who will lead these United States? Only time will tell.

As you can probably tell, this is inspired by @OldNavy1988 's timeline "As Dreamers Do". It will slowly get more and more different as we get closer to present day so consider this a sorta reinterpretation of his timeline (hopefully with less murder and awful people becoming president).

Constructive criticism and ideas for future events would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
    A Cartoon Feature?
  • Soon after, Walt and his crew began work on the first ever Mickey Mouse shorts. While the first two shorts "Plane Crazy" and "Gallopin' Gaucho" were well received, it wasn't until "Steamboat Willie" that the character would truly begin his rise to being one of the most famous pop culture characters of all time. The short was praised as one of the first cartoons to have fully-synchronized sound, giving Walt the idea to make a new series of shorts based around the use of sound called "Silly Symphonies".

Silly Symphonies became a massive hit for the studio and by 1934, over 40 shorts were made for the brand and were met with much acclaim by the general audiences. Walt and his crew easily could have just made more Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies and be well off for the next half decade or so, but he knew that the studio could go even farer.

Hyperion Building.jpg

Walt Disney Studios, June 14th, 1934

Walt Disney: So what did people think about our latest Symphony short?

Ub Iwerks: The reception is very positive, people seem to really enjoy the new duck character we made for it.

WD: Fantastic, great to hear. Say Ub, I wanted to ask you a question about the future of this company.

UI: What is it?

WD: Do you think people would watch a cartoon feature? Like an actual hand drawn movie?

UI: Well, it's definitely gamble. I think I heard somewhere about a guy in Argentina trying something like that once, but I don't know how well it did.

WD: I was thinking about possibly adapting Snow White but I can't think of a memorable song that could tell the story in a short. I think that it would probably work better as a feature. Do you think we can do that?

UI: I can't think of a reason why we wouldn't be able to.

WD: Perfect, get a team together and start work on as soon a possible.

Mining Dwarfs and Beached Giants
  • What if I. This timeline Walt lives long enough to take Don bluth under his wing and make him head of animated movie production or something?
    I have big plans for Don Bluth and The Walt Disney Company, but for now.

Snow_White_1937_poster.png

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on December 21, 1937

Upon release, Snow White was met universal acclaim from critics and audiences.

"Disney and his men continue to prove the power of animation with their latest masterpiece" - The New York Times

"An instant classic... shows the promise of feature length animation" - The Washington Post

NEWS REPORT

"After the success of Walt Disney's Snow White, Paramount announces plans for new animated feature based on 'Gulliver's Travels' with Fleischer Studios. The film is currently set for a late 1939 release" - Wall Street Journal

A Ghostly Discussion at Fleischer
  • 51U4d2dgpeL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Distributed on November 10, 1939 by Paramount

The film is mostly the same as IOTL, the main difference is that Paramount decides to release the film a month earlier to avoid competition with Gone with the Wind.

There was some collision between the Fleischers and Paramount about the film going over budget, but all seemed like water under the bridge as the film would go on to earn $10 million at the box office.

fleicher_miami-front.jpg

Fleischer Studios, December 23, 1939

Barney Balaban:
    What's this "Friendly Ghost" thing?

Max Fleischer: Oh that, some guy named Joe left it on my desk the other day. I guess I forgot to throw it out.

BB: Well, I see a lot of potential in this "Casper" fellow. Maybe it can be another franchise.

MF: Do you really think so? I think that Mr. Bug script would be a much better idea.

BB: Look, let's do this one first and we'll see what happens.

Welcome to Treasure Island
  • Pinocchio

Pinoco.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on February 23, 1940

The movie is the same as IOTL, why change something that's a 100 percent on RT?

While profits were diminished because of WWII closing off oversea markets, Disney's Pinocchio was widely praised by critics and general audiences.

"Pinocchio is here at last, is every bit as fine as we had prayed it would be—if not finer" - The New York Times

"The charm, humor and loving care with which it treats its inanimate characters puts it in a class by itself" - Time Magazine

"[It's] infinitely superior to Snow White" - The Hollywood Reporter

NEWS REPORTS

"Paramount & Fleischer Studios to make a ghost film for 1942 release" - The Washington Post

"United Artists looking to lure Terrytoons from Fox" - Variety

"Disney company moves to new facility in Burbank" - The Hollywood Reporter

There Are No Strings On Strike
  • Fantasia.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on November 13, 1940

Changes from OTL's version: Introduction skits are shorter, similar to the Laserdisc release and The Pastoral Symphony segment isn't included ITTL because Disney and RKO wanted to reduce costs.

Despite praise from critics and audiences for amazing visuals and spectacular "Fantasound" technology, the high cost of picture and inability to enter the European market resulted in the film underperforming at the box office.

Due to the lackluster financial returns of their previous 2 movies, the Walt Disney company had trouble paying their animators. The animators unhappy with their pay, would go on strike in march of 1941, with some eventually quitting to join Fleischer Studios.

Screen_Cartoonist's_Guild_strike_at_Disney.jpg

After 5 weeks, Walt decided to give in to the demands and sign a contract with the Screen Cartoonist's Guild on May 4th, 1941.

War Can Certainly Give You An Awful Fright
  • dummy.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on October 23, 1941

Made to recoup the costs of Pinocchio and Fantasia, Dumbo would end up becoming one of Disney's most successful films of the 1940's and would be praised by critics as an endearing classic.

The Friendly Ghost (dir. Dave Fleischer)
    Casper.jpg

Distributed by Paramount on December 1, 1941

The Friendly Ghost was praised upon release as being a fun movie to escape from the responsibilities of the real world. Sadly only about a week after the film's initial release, the events of the real world would become too much to escape from.

NEWS REPORTS

pearl-harbor-attack-newspaper-headline-mindy-sommers.jpg

"Disney says 'Bambi' production is still going full steam ahead despite war vote" - The New York Times

"'Superman' and 'Bug' movies to be made by Paramount" - United Press

"Fox to put animation studio plans 'on hold' for the foreseeable future" - The Washington Post

"Tex Avery rumored to be making 'Alice in Wonderland' animated film" - The Hollywood Reporter

Last edited:
    Rabbits of War
  • p_bambi_19754_990e0e5a.jpeg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on August 21, 1942
    Bambi would become a financial success but received a mixed response when it was first release. While some critics praised it for the animation and being such a wholesome feature for the time, others did not appreciate the tonal shifts and lack of fantasy elements compared to the studios previous work.

NEWS REPORTS
    "Terrytoons suffers after animators leave for war" - Time

"Insiders say 'Superman' is in active development, could be out as early as 1944" - The Miami Herald

"Beatrix Potter sells 'Peter Rabbit' film rights to Disney" - The Los Angeles Times

"Warner Bros. confirms plans for Tex's 'Alice in Wonderland' to be released next year" - The Hollywood Reporter

Alice in the Wacky World of Tex Avery
  • If WB still has Tex Avery on their payroll by 1943, does this mean the likes of Droopy and Screwy Squirrel are Looney Tunes ITTL?
    Yes, but like with Flip the Frog and Disney, they become some of the lesser known Looney Tunes. Also "Saludos Amigos" does still exist ITTL, it just has no changes in terms of plot or reception.

Alice in Wonderland (dir. Tex Avery)
    20hkcanhhce81.jpg

Distributed by Warner Bros. on June 5, 1943

Cast: Shirley Temple, Mel Blanc, Bea Benaderet, Danny Webb, Pinto Colvig, Billy Bletcher, Walter Catlett

The plot is kind of a mixture of the Disney movie and the original drafts of the planed 1939 version. I guess the best way to describe it is that it is an animated version of the 2010 film from OTL. While critics were mixed on the darker tone, the movie would be one of the most financially successful films during to be released during WWII, making over 7 million dollars at the box office.

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's...
  • Soup Mon.jpg

Distributed by Paramount on April 14, 1944

Cast: Bud Collyer, Jack Mercer, Joan Alexander, Jackson Beck

Superman would end up striking a cord with the public. It would become one of the most popular animated films of WWII, earning 6.5 million dollars at the box office.

NEWS REPORT

"Paramount announces 'Mr. Bug' to be released in Summer 1945" - The Hollywood Reporter

Mr. Bug Returns Home
  • mr-bug-lobby.jpg

Distributed by Paramount on September 7, 1945

Mr. Bug Goes to Town would become the first animated feature to be released since the end of WWII. The post war optimism would lead to the movie become a lot more successful than IOTL, grossing over 4 million dollars at the box office.

NEWS REPORT

Just Win.jpg

Make Mine News
  • Music Mine Make.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on July 13, 1946
    The film is the same as IOTL. I was originally just going to mostly ignore it like I did with Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, but I decided to use it as basically a really news focused update. More of these types of posts will be posted as we move forward with the timeline.
    NEWS REPORTS
    "Disney family welcomes Walt Jr. to the world" - Variety

"Minority groups upset after Universal announces 'Brer Rabbit' film for early next year" - Time

"20th Century Fox buys 'Mighty Mouse' studio Terrytoons for 6.5 million dollars" - The Los Angeles Times

"Paramount confirms that 'Batman' is in production" - The Hollywood Reporter

Splash Mountain Bomb
  • The Tales of Brer Rabbit (dir. Alex Lovy & James Culhane)
    Rabbit Racist.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on April 15, 1947

Cast: James Baskett, Johnny Lee, Dallas McKennon, Nick Stewart, Mel Blanc

From the first time it was unveiled, Brer Rabbit received some controversy due to the nature of the original source material. Critics and general audiences weren't too much happier with the end result, with it being described as boring and only getting a modest return at the box office.

A Tale of Mice and Batmen
  • I'm very interested in what the film's plot is like. Any way to describe it?
    Casper needs to stop a group of paranormal investigators to save his friends, that's all I got. Anyways, on to the Bat-film.

4003122-batman___1960s_tv_logo_by_johnsmall-d33u9d8.jpg

Distributed by Paramount Pictures on December 6, 1947

Cast: Lewis Wilson, Douglas Croft, Jack Mercer, William Austin

Batman would be another success for Paramount and Fleischer, becoming one of the highest grossing films of 1947.

NEWS REPORTS

"Paramount, Fox and Universal battle for 'Little Prince' project" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Disney announces 'Mickey Mouse' movie" - Time

"Can local Fleischer Studios overtake Disney as the kings of animation?" - The Miami Herald

Prince in a Bottle
  • Mickey's Misadventures
    Mickey-mouse-the-pointer-pluto.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on November 19, 1948

The movie is a package film similar to The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie, with the framing device being Mickey telling stories of him and his friends. The shorts featured are "Steamboat Willie", "Chicken Little", "Cowboy Goofy", "Caxanga" and "Mickey and the Beanstalk". The movie would become a big success at the box office, earning over 4 million dollars.

NEWS REPORTS

"20th Century Fox wins battle for 'Little Prince' project by Orson Welles" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Disney sets 'Sleepy Hallow' release for Halloween 1949" - The Los Angeles Times

"Universal announces 'Aladdin' with Abbott & Costello" - Time

Sleepy, Sleepy Hollow
  • Sleepy, Sleepy Hollow.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on October 5, 1949

Cast: Bing Crosby, Dawes Butler, Dinah Shore

The plot of the film is an extended version of the short from OTL. The film would become another modest success for Disney and his crew, but it was very clear that the studio needed another "Snow White" level hit. That hit would come just a few months later.

The 1940's Recap
  • This is something that I plan to do for the end of every decade where I recap what the major film studios did in the past decade and give a brief preview of what they are putting out in the next decade. It will also include what sports teams have won championships as we move further along this timeline, but for now I'm focusing on the movie side of things.

The Walt Disney Company: The 40's started out rough for Disney as the war practically crippled the success of Pinocchio and Fantasia. They were however able to keep things steady with anthology movies and a few minor hits like Sleepy Hollow. The company is hopeful that their next movie "Cinderella" could be next Snow White and did announce that work had finally started on the long awaited "Peter Rabbit" movie.

Fleischer Studios/Paramount Pictures: With the dip in Disney's profits came the rise of Fleischer Studios. The company made the decision to work on "The Friendly Ghost" before "Mr. Bug" for 1941. This would end of being the right decision as even with the unfortunate timing of TFG's release, it would make more money than Mr. Bug did IOTL. Some people have even discussed the possibility of Fleischer getting ahead Disney, considering Paramount's deal with DC and their own library of classic characters like Popeye and Betty Boop.

Warner Brothers: "Alice in Wonderland" was a huge hit for WB and the Loony Tunes have continued to entertain audiences all over the world. Let's see if they can maintain that level of success for the 1950's

Universal Pictures: Universal was probably expecting "Brer Rabbit" to do to them what Snow White and Alice did to Disney and Warner Bros. All they got instead were angry minority groups, mediocre reviews and underperforming box office returns. The studio now hopes that "Aladdin" with Abbott and Costello can help repair the damage costed by it.

20th Century Fox: Fox decided to enter the animation scene with a bang by first buying out "Mighty Mouse" company Terrytoons, then out bidding both Paramount and Universal to produce an adaption of "The Little Prince". Fox has spent a lot of money to get their animation division started, the question now is, can they make their money back?

Finally, a Big Hit
  • cinderella-3.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on March 4, 1950

Cinderella would end up becoming Walt's biggest hit since the war, earning over $180 million dollars worldwide and spectacular reviews from critics.

Universal's Aladdin and Fox's The Little Prince

New Royals
  • The Little Prince (dir. Orson Welles)
    Little Nigerian Prince.png

Distributed by 20th Century Fox on July 7, 1950

Cast: Audrey Hepburn, Gene Kelly, Clifton Webb, Billy Chapin

Aladdin & His Magic Lamp (dir. by Alex Lovy)
    Pazam.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on July 7, 1950 (Popeye model sheet used for visual purposes)

Cast: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Mel Blanc, Hans Conried

The battle between Universal's "Aladdin" and Fox's "Little Prince" was one of the closest and most anticipated matchups in film history. In the end, TLP would get slightly more praise from critics, while Aladdin made more money.

NEWS REPORTS

"FFC's television restrictions blocked by Supreme Court" - The Washington Post

"Disney sets 'Peter Rabbit' for Fall 1951 release" - Time

"Disney likely to try more live action films as 'Treasure Island' proves to be a success" - The Hollywood Reporter

Is This the End for Disney & RKO?
  • Who exactly is the main antagonist of the 1947 animated Batman film?
    The Joker.

Petey the Average Rabbit.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on September 14, 1951
    Cast: Jerry Mathers, Janet Waldo, Lucille Bliss, June Foray

Peter Rabbit would become another success for the studio, earning 7 million dollars and getting wide spread acclaim from critics.

NEWS REPORTS
    "RUMOR: Walt Disney planning on opening self distribution company after RKO deal ends in 1954" - The Los Angeles Examiner

"Paramount's 'Wonder Woman' to be released next Summer" - Variety