Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Before The Mouse
Walter Elias Disney was born on December 5th, 1901 in Chicago, Illinois. A lot of Walt's childhood was spent moving around from farms in Missouri to the streets of Chicago. At just 16 years old, Walt deployed to France to serve as a ambulance driver for World War I.

"I actually developed a bit of a smoking habit when I was in France.... I remember being assigned to work with a man during the later half of my time out there, who hated that I smoked. This was before the long term health problems were well known, so when he told me to stop, I would just tell him to focus on his job. Then one day we were having one of our arguments and almost immediately after I was done lighting one of my cigarettes, he grabbed the box, chucked it out the back of our vehicle and it got run over by the guys behind us. That was pretty much the last time I ever smoked, who knows where my life would be right now if it wasn't for that moment" - Walt Disney, 1971 interview

Walt returned to the States in October of 1919, where he would soon get a job at advertising firm Presman-Rubin and befriend fellow animator, Ub Iwerks. In 1923, Walt would move to Hollywood, California, in hopes of becoming a film director. The Walt Disney Company, then known as "Disney Brothers Studio" would open in 1926 and began working several theatrical shorts for studios like Universal and Columbia. However, troubles would begin in 1928. Due to negotiations with film producer Charles Mintz going south, Walt would end up loosing the majority of his staff and his most famous character at the time, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, to Universal.

He and his remaining crew would brainstorm numerous ideas for new shorts and characters but it all seemed like the company had already started its death clock. That was until, Walt began to reminisce about his old pet mouse.

Walt_Disney_1946.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my very first alternate history timeline. This one mainly follows the story of the Walt Disney Company after Walt (who doesn't have a smoking problem ITTL) loses the rights to Oswald. However, Disney will not be only one we'll cover. What will Universal do with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit? What will happen to companies like Fleischer Studios? Will there be new sports teams and locations? Who will lead these United States? Only time will tell.

As you can probably tell, this is inspired by @OldNavy1988 's timeline "As Dreamers Do". It will slowly get more and more different as we get closer to present day so consider this a sorta reinterpretation of his timeline (hopefully with less murder and awful people becoming president).

Constructive criticism and ideas for future events would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
I would be happy to see this timeline flourish. I saw your link mention Fleischer Studios be as beloved as WB or MGM as far as Disney's competition is concerned, and we get less deaths in this timeline as well.

In fact, I'd like to bring a few of my colleagues here for guidance.

@King Krazy @Tacomaster We have a freshman in this corner. Do you copy?

Please don't tag me in other people's threads. I don't do it in mine because I figure it annoys other people as much as it does me.

As for the thread itself-have you actually changed anything yet or is the first post just supposed to be set-up?

Thank you very much for crediting me as your inspiration. I actually take a lot of joy in knowing I've been influential to other creators here.

A Cartoon Feature?
Soon after, Walt and his crew began work on the first ever Mickey Mouse shorts. While the first two shorts "Plane Crazy" and "Gallopin' Gaucho" were well received, it wasn't until "Steamboat Willie" that the character would truly begin his rise to being one of the most famous pop culture characters of all time. The short was praised as one of the first cartoons to have fully-synchronized sound, giving Walt the idea to make a new series of shorts based around the use of sound called "Silly Symphonies".

Silly Symphonies became a massive hit for the studio and by 1934, over 40 shorts were made for the brand and were met with much acclaim by the general audiences. Walt and his crew easily could have just made more Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies and be well off for the next half decade or so, but he knew that the studio could go even farer.

Hyperion Building.jpg

Walt Disney Studios, June 14th, 1934

Walt Disney: So what did people think about our latest Symphony short?

Ub Iwerks: The reception is very positive, people seem to really enjoy the new duck character we made for it.

WD: Fantastic, great to hear. Say Ub, I wanted to ask you a question about the future of this company.

UI: What is it?

WD: Do you think people would watch a cartoon feature? Like an actual hand drawn movie?

UI: Well, it's definitely gamble. I think I heard somewhere about a guy in Argentina trying something like that once, but I don't know how well it did.

WD: I was thinking about possibly adapting Snow White but I can't think of a memorable song that could tell the story in a short. I think that it would probably work better as a feature. Do you think we can do that?

UI: I can't think of a reason why we wouldn't be able to.

WD: Perfect, get a team together and start work on as soon a possible.

Walter Elias Disney was born on December 5th, 1901 in Chicago, Illinois. A lot of Walt's childhood was spent moving around from farms in Missouri to the streets of Chicago. At just 16 years old, Walt deployed to France to serve as a ambulance driver for World War I.

"I actually developed a bit of a smoking habit when I was in France.... I remember being assigned to work with a man during the later half of my time out there, who hated that I smoked. This was before the long term health problems were well known, so when he told me to stop, I would just tell him to focus on his job. Then one day we were having one of our arguments and almost immediately after I was done lighting one of my cigarettes, he grabbed the box, chucked it out the back of our vehicle and it got run over by the guys behind us. That was pretty much the last time I ever smoked, who knows where my life would be right now if it wasn't for that moment" - Walt Disney, 1971 interview

Walt returned to the States in October of 1919, where he would soon get a job at advertising firm Presman-Rubin and befriend fellow animator, Ub Iwerks. In 1923, Walt would move to Hollywood, California, in hopes of becoming a film director. The Walt Disney Company, then known as "Disney Brothers Studio" would open in 1926 and began working several theatrical shorts for studios like Universal and Columbia. However, troubles would begin in 1928. Due to negotiations with film producer Charles Mintz going south, Walt would end up loosing the majority of his staff and his most famous character at the time, Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, to Universal.

He and his remaining crew would brainstorm numerous ideas for new shorts and characters but it all seemed like the company had already started its death clock. That was until, Walt began to reminisce about his old pet mouse.

View attachment 835771
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my very first alternate history timeline. This one mainly follows the story of the Walt Disney Company after Walt (who doesn't have a smoking problem ITTL) loses the rights to Oswald. However, Disney will not be only one we'll cover. What will Universal do with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit? What will happen to companies like Fleischer Studios? Will there be new sports teams and locations? Who will lead these United States? Only time will tell.

As you can probably tell, this is inspired by @OldNavy1988 's timeline "As Dreamers Do". It will slowly get more and more different as we get closer to present day so consider this a sorta reinterpretation of his timeline (hopefully with less murder and awful people becoming president).

Constructive criticism and ideas for future events would be much appreciated! :)
Soon after, Walt and his crew began work on the first ever Mickey Mouse shorts. While the first two shorts "Plane Crazy" and "Gallopin' Gaucho" were well received, it wasn't until "Steamboat Willie" that the character would truly begin his rise to being one of the most famous pop culture characters of all time. The short was praised as one of the first cartoons to have fully-synchronized sound, giving Walt the idea to make a new series of shorts based around the use of sound called "Silly Symphonies".

Silly Symphonies became a massive hit for the studio and by 1934, over 40 shorts were made for the brand and were met with much acclaim by the general audiences. Walt and his crew easily could have just made more Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies and be well off for the next half decade or so, but he knew that the studio could go even farer.

View attachment 835942

Ub Iwerks: The reception is very positive, people seem to really enjoy the new duck character we made for it.

WD: Fantastic, great to hear. Say Ub, I wanted to ask you a question about the future of this company.

WD: Do you think people would watch a cartoon feature? Like an actual hand drawn movie?

UI: Well, it's definitely gamble. I think I heard somewhere about a guy in Argentina trying something like that once, but I don't know how well it did.

WD: I was thinking about possibly adapting Snow White but I can't think of a memorable song that could tell the story in a short. I think that it would probably work better as a feature. Do you think we can do that?

Cool!

Very good start!

Hope this does well.

Can't wait for the next update.

View attachment 835942

Something I just noticed is that Ub Iwerks is still working with Walt Disney. Does this mean characters that Iwerks created like Flip the Frog and Willie Whopper are part of the Disney family in TTL?

What if I. This timeline Walt lives long enough to take Don bluth under his wing and make him head of animated movie production or something?

Mining Dwarfs and Beached Giants
What if I. This timeline Walt lives long enough to take Don bluth under his wing and make him head of animated movie production or something?
I have big plans for Don Bluth and The Walt Disney Company, but for now.

Snow_White_1937_poster.png

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on December 21, 1937

Upon release, Snow White was met universal acclaim from critics and audiences.

"Disney and his men continue to prove the power of animation with their latest masterpiece" - The New York Times

"An instant classic... shows the promise of feature length animation" - The Washington Post

NEWS REPORT

"After the success of Walt Disney's Snow White, Paramount announces plans for new animated feature based on 'Gulliver's Travels' with Fleischer Studios. The film is currently set for a late 1939 release" - Wall Street Journal

I have big plans for Don Bluth and The Walt Disney Company, but for now.

View attachment 836350
Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on December 21, 1937

Upon release, Snow White was met universal acclaim from critics and audiences.

"Disney and his men continue to prove the power of animation with their latest masterpiece" - The New York Times

"An instant classic... shows the promise of feature length animation" - The Washington Post

NEWS REPORT

"After the success of Walt Disney's Snow White, Paramount announces plans for new animated feature based on 'Gulliver's Travels' with Fleischer Studios. The film is currently set for a late 1939 release" - Wall Street Journal
Nice.

What are the chances of Disney buying RKO themselves?

Also, I hope Gulliver's Travel can work and be more successful and stuff, and perhaps lead to Paramount being a big player in the animation scene.

A Ghostly Discussion at Fleischer
51U4d2dgpeL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Distributed on November 10, 1939 by Paramount

The film is mostly the same as IOTL, the main difference is that Paramount decides to release the film a month earlier to avoid competition with Gone with the Wind.

There was some collision between the Fleischers and Paramount about the film going over budget, but all seemed like water under the bridge as the film would go on to earn $10 million at the box office.

fleicher_miami-front.jpg

Fleischer Studios, December 23, 1939

Barney Balaban:
What's this "Friendly Ghost" thing?

Max Fleischer: Oh that, some guy named Joe left it on my desk the other day. I guess I forgot to throw it out.

BB: Well, I see a lot of potential in this "Casper" fellow. Maybe it can be another franchise.

MF: Do you really think so? I think that Mr. Bug script would be a much better idea.

BB: Look, let's do this one first and we'll see what happens.