Reformed Sparta Under Cleomenes III

trajen777

Banned
This will be a TL based upon the successful reforms of Cleomenes III.235–222 BC. He led a series of reforms which i believe could have stopped the Spartan decay by redistribution of land, population growth, and forging a series of "Spartan tiered citizenship structures". The successful reforms that he carried out were :
1. All of the Spartan citizens turned in their land to a central organization.
2. All of the land was then redistributed equally to each citizen as well as the exiled citizens, mercenaries who had fought for Sparta, and the Perioeci who were traditionally the group between the Helots and the Spartans. This expanded the "citizens from 350 to over 4500 families
3. An army of 4,000 was created and trained in the Macedonian fashion.
4. Helots taxs were reorganized to create a consistent income stream and a fairer collection system
5. Traditional discipline and communal living was brought back.

The changes i will be making will be
1. Cleomenes III. (calling him Cleo for short from here on ) will expand the reforms to create a "Rome like" 2nd tier citizens to other city states or communities. (in real time there were excitement in the local communities to also receive these reforms).
2. A focus on population growth

If I were a landowner, I´d meet with my fellow landowners and think of ways of getting rid of this guy.

If I was a new landowner, I'd be making sure he stuck around! I'd be curious as to how he managed to blunt the impact of political lobbying by those same landowners.

My biggest worry is that he'll end the same way as IOTL. If he didn't negotiate with the Achaean Oligarchs, but became a "Populist" (forgive the anachronism) he might be able to complete his conquests, applying the land ownership reforms to the Achaeans, undermining them.

(Excited!)

trajen777

Banned
If I were a landowner, I´d meet with my fellow landowners and think of ways of getting rid of this guy.

The interesting part was it was a series of actions. He was the first one to give up his land rights, followed by father, uncles and then the 100% of the land owners. I kind of envision it is being a "We used to be Sparta and the world trembled" kind of moment. Or a better analogy might be the contagious outburst of enthusiasm after the council of Clermont in the first crusade.

The World in 229 - 221

trajen777

Banned
Cleo had been born in 265 to a dramatic world. The Greek world had come alive with the great victories of the Godlike Alexander as he revolutionized warfare. The adaptation by his father of the sarrassa pike replacing the traditional stabbing spear of the Hoplites combined with the flexible charge of an efficient shock cavalry had overturned the world. Spartan and other mercenaries had come back with stories of the battles and campaigns. They included the many types of warfare found around the world. At the same time the Punic wars (264 – 261 BC) bought to light many other forms of warfare. The world at this time would have been broken into:

1. Rome: recovering from the Punic War, and just starting their wars with the Gauls in northern Italy and Gaul.

2. Cartage is recovering and beginning the expansion of their empire in Spain. They have completed the mercenary war.

3. Macedonia was wracked by the endless battles against the Illyrians and the remaining Diadochi states.

4. The East was in a constant state of wars

5. Greece itself was pulled by the Achaean league and the Aetolian League.

Cleo had many of things to consider. By his redistribution of the land and reforming a stable army he was well on his way to recreating a secure, if not dominant Spartan state. His first goals would be to attack in the north and take in hand various border-states and capture or destroy the hated Megalopolis which had been forced into existence by the Spartan defeat at Lecutia.

The Achaean league decided that Cleo’s continued reformation of the Spartan state upset their desire to control the Peloponnesians. They sent a declaration of war against Sparta and marched an army of 20,000 towards the border. Marching swiftly Cleo met the Achaean’s with 5,000 troops and routed them. In a series of other battles his success continued to grow making his position in Sparta very strong.

Between 229 and 226 Cleo led an unending string of victories over the Achaean’s capturing most of the border town’s and forts. In addition key cities such as Corinth and Mantinea were conquered from the various oligarchies’. During this time frame, and after great thought, Cleo made the “great change” (here is the point of divergence in the real history he left the Olg. In charge where here he followed his populist bent). From many of the mercenaries who had fought in the first Punic war came the stories of Rome who had built their success on alliance or dual citizenship of other towns. By doing this they had been able to field endless armies against Carthage.

Cleo offered not full Spartan citizenship but instead offered the newly “freed or captured “ territory an expansion of the “reforms” which included :

· Fair and equal redistribution of the land

· The distribution of the Olg property and wealth

· Perioeci ranking to be termed “other citizen” of Sparta.

In this way he was able to dramatically expand the army from 4,000 Spartans and 16,000 mercenaries (who after term of service would receive land grants and other citizen membership) to over 30,000 additional other citizens.

The crowning highlight of the year was the Dyme where much of the remaining Achaean’s army was captured or destroyed. Aratus the Achaean league leader applied desperately to the Macedonian king Antigonus III Doson. Antigonus brought the Macedonian army to attack Sparta but was repeatedly defeated at the Corinth Isthmus. Cleo was able to hold the barrier however without the Alexandrian cavalry force he was loath to come to battle in more open terrine. After several years Antigonus made peace and went to defend his borders against encroaching Illyrians, dyeing in 221. Cleo spent the years from 226 to 221 finishing the conquest of the Achaean league, redistributing wealth and land, eliminating debt of the people, and expanding the army.

trajen777

Banned
A quick map and future chapters :

1. The alliance with Rome - work in the Punic war
2. Reformation and economy
3. Battle vs Aetolian League
4. Battle with Macedonia

upload_2017-9-15_13-40-57.png

Military expansion

trajen777

Banned
In 221 Cleo had taken control of the Peloponnese and had instituted his reforms throughout. He set about reforming his army and tying to figure out how to repopulate the Spartans, increase the fighting ability of the "other citizens" and from this time renaming them the Allies of the Spartans or the Allies for short. Key concerns of his were finding ways to pay for his mercenaries (increase cash flow), Alexanderize his military (ie build a Calvary shock force), expanding the Spartan component of the military (ie the trained from boyhood force), and building a systems of external allies he could depend upon as his forces built up. He would also need a small fleet or a fleet of allies to protect being out flanked by sea.

His first steps were :
1. During the massive earthquake the killed over 20,000 in Sparta (Helena P. Schrader historian in missing mothers) it is believed that the majority of these missing were woman,young , or daughters. After the quake you see the maximum size of the army still active (8000) for another 10 years and then a gradual decline as births dropped by a lack of Spartan woman. You also at this time you see the law changed to allow 2 men to have 1 woman as wife. Cleo realizing this and also seeing that it had been accepted by the mass to allow Spartan citizenship for merc fighting for Sparta amd two major changes :
a. The law was modified so that "a woman of correct strength and prowess" would be brought into each Spartan males household (up to 5 ) and if they gave birth to an five acceptable children by the father they would become citizens. Money was appropriated to slavers to identify and acquire up to 5 woman per man.
b. After the recent Punic wars, children below the age of 7 would be bought (of proper strength) and enrolled in the dorms to become future Spartan warriors. The target was set at 2000 per year
These laws were structured to bring long term growth back to Sparta and also to gain a 7 year leap by acquiring slaves to be made into soldiers.
2. IN each class of Spartan recruits 25% were now trained as shock cavalry forces.
a. Alliances were structured with leading enemies of Macedonia to receive funds and grants of shock cavalry.
3. Alliances were formed with Rome, Egypt, and various Illiarian tribes.

Secondly the military was restructured:
Realizing that the Spartans could field and elite 2,000 Spartans, 4000 allies as semi professional at any one time, and 16,000 mercs they had an excellent force to defeat minor rivals while at the same time in the Peloponnese they could defend vs any major force. Until the population increased and their shock forces where in place they started to look at all of the various components of successful armies that were available to learn from. They started to look at
1. Macedonian pile
2. Roman swordsman
3. Nubian light cav
4. Armenian HC
5. Persian archers and HC
6. Siege train

From these beginigs over the next five years the Spartans would forge a new force.

The biggest problem towards a cavalry force would be to the acquire the horses.I think importing horses by sea would be difficult and expensive. Given the size of the population,I think it would have been appropriate to field an all Spartan cavalry.

trajen777

Banned
The biggest problem towards a cavalry force would be to the acquire the horses.I think importing horses by sea would be difficult and expensive. Given the size of the population,I think it would have been appropriate to field an all Spartan cavalry.

I was thinking of several different options. The HC of Macedon was excellent and just as good was the horses of Thessaly. However to gain this area you need "a" or "the" war vs Philip V. He holds both of these areas so you need to defeat or conquer to get some of these lands. However you need to GET SOME horses and good grazing land to maintain and train the horse. You can also get some Anatolian land, however for this you need a major naval force and the resources to gain this land. So still working this thru. Also perhaps in alliance with Rome take part of Sicely (you need a nave again). Anyway going around in my head.

Anyone with any ideas let me know -- HELP ANYONE

I was thinking of several different options. The HC of Macedon was excellent and just as good was the horses of Thessaly. However to gain this area you need "a" or "the" war vs Philip V. He holds both of these areas so you need to defeat or conquer to get some of these lands. However you need to GET SOME horses and good grazing land to maintain and train the horse. You can also get some Anatolian land, however for this you need a major naval force and the resources to gain this land. So still working this thru. Also perhaps in alliance with Rome take part of Sicely (you need a nave again). Anyway going around in my head.

Anyone with any ideas let me know -- HELP ANYONE

There are many, many, many places to import horses from. Be they Egypt, Selucia, even Rome. Plus, there is plenty of land in Laconia to graze on. After all it was used for quite a large quantity of livestock.

Your key is that you need someone to TRAIN that cavalry.

There are many, many, many places to import horses from. Be they Egypt, Selucia, even Rome. Plus, there is plenty of land in Laconia to graze on. After all it was used for quite a large quantity of livestock.

Your key is that you need someone to TRAIN that cavalry.
I think the problem about importing horses is that horses don't do well getting transported by ship.There's a good chance that a lot of them will die trying to get to Sparta.Are there actually dedicated horse transporter ships in this era?

Land used to graze horses on will mean that less livestock can be raised.Expenses would be quite high.More than that,you will actually need people to raise the horses.Other than that,I think a major problem you might run into is that the sellers might castrate the male horses to prevent Sparta from breeding their own warhorses locally.

I don't think that finding someone to train that cavalry will be too hard.Just get some mercs from the east to train the horsemen.

Last edited:
The Social war 220 - 217

trajen777

Banned
With the victories of the Spartans over the Achaean League in the previous several years the Peloponnesians were now wholly controlled by the Allies (Sparta and the cities and country that had followed the “reforms”). The Achaean league (AL) was now reduced to 1/3 of its former territory and centered on Thebes. The ruler Aratus (Achaean) had formed a close alliance with Philp V of Macedon, and the Kingdom of Epirus, as well as Athens. The Allies formed a defensive treaty with the Aetolian League.

Cleo sent ambassadors to the Tribes north of Macedonia to offer a joint offensive for 220 however the tribes would not be available till the May of 218. Little did Cleo know that Philip had bribed the tribes to stay neutral. They did agree to do low level raids for 220 and 219. Cleo modified his plan to have the Aetolians defend in the north vs Philip while the Spartans and allies would attack and finish the destruction of the Achaeans.

Philip V begins the war by a quick conquest of Crete in a surprise move in the summer of 220. Probes against the Aetolians were pushed back. Philp spent the winter building a large army for a full invasion of the Aetolians in 219. Cleo begins with a march with a force of 2,000 Spartans, 12,000 Mecs, and 650 Cav directly towards Thebes. The Achaean’s with their forces spilt in trying to defend against the north and the west fell back towards Thebes with the Athenian army in tow. Cleo had pushed a 2nd army of 20,000 infantry and 900 cav on a parallel path also towards Thebes. Cleo in a forced march swung south and marched through the mountains to appear outside of Athens 3 days later. In a headlong charge using scaling ladders Athens was captured in in two days.

Offering the reforms to the people of Athens there was civil war in the streets as the oligarchs were pulled from their houses and killed. Leaving 3,000 troops in Athens Cleo marched back to face Aratus and his 30,000 troops at Thebes. Cleos combined forces were 31,000 infantry and 1200 cav. After a face off of 30 days Aratus fell back in to the fortification of Thebes while a number of forts and smaller cities came over to the Allies and putting the reforms in place. As the fall came on Cleo consolidated his gains and withdrew back to Sparta.

Over the winter Cleo finished the reforms of his army:

1. The 4,000 Spartans had been retrained in the Roman style of warfare. It had been determined that elite person to person fighters (Spartans trained from 7 years old) would be enhanced in these fighting formations. They knew the 4,000 fighters in a giant phalanx would be outnumbered and rolled over.

2. The Merc and the allies would be split between the sarassa pike and the traditional phalanx pike with 75% having the longer pike.

3. 500 heavy eastern Cataphracts (at massive expense) were hired.

4. 2500 Calvary were trained by Numidian mercs.

Spartans: 4,000

Heavy Phalanx : 25,000

Traditional Phalanx : 15,000

Light Infantry: 15,000

trajen777

Banned
The Allies forces were defined as:
Heavy Cav :
300px-Ancient_Sasanid_Cataphract_Uther_Oxford_2003_06_2%281%29.jpg

Spartan (roman type infantry)

upload_2017-9-18_10-6-47.jpeg

Macedonian Phalanx
th

Traditional Spartan Phalanx
th

trajen777

Banned
In the summer of 219 BC Sparta attacked Achaea from the South, Elis attacked from the west, and the Aetolians attacked from the north. By the end of the summer, Achaea was near collapse. Philip V had prepared his army and marched with about 44,000 men of which 30,000 were phalangites, 8,000 light infantry, and 6,000 cav.

With a significant portion of the Achaean army deposited to the south the Macedonians swept all before it. Cities were razed, people slaughtered and, small armies were crushed. The Achaean army withdrew from Aetolia and was badly defeated in a battle outside of Delphi. They were then besieged at a major fort from July to Sept. Philip settled down to a siege.

The Allies marched north and found the Achaea army again outside of Thebes. The Achaeans had 16,000 infantry, 2,000 light infantry, and 1200 cav. The Allies had 500 Spartans (from now on the Spartans will be referred as Spartans fighting like romans), 21,000 Pike men, 8,000 lt infantry, and 2000 cav (400 HC).

The Achaean’s lined their outnumbered troops deep on their left. The plan was to punch a hole through the Allied lines then turn from the interior and roll up the allied lines. It had worked against the Spartans a few years back. Their right flank, shielded by cav would be held back until the right had won the day. The flanking cav and center would come into action to hold the Allies until the left had won the battle.

The Allies, thinking that the Achaeans would repeat the tactics of Eapad, at the battle of Leuctra took their Spartan swordsmen and had them face perpendicular to the line of battle, in this way they would be able to strike the flank of the attacking Achaeans if they successfully pulled this tactic off. If it became a traditional Phalanx battle their superior numbers and the use of the light infantry to sweep around and attack the enemy cav and infantry flanks would decide the battle. As is turned out, the Achaeans drove in the allied line, were then hit in flank and routed. The Allied left and center advanced and pinned the Achaeans in place while the light infantry hit the enemly cav in flank and then combined together swept to the rear and flank of their phalanx. The Achaean cav lost 400 cav while 80% of their infantry where killed or captured, their armor being too heavy to flea in. Thebes was captured and so ended the Achaean league. The allies offered the reforms to the Thebans and the remainder of the Achaean cities. From a major enemy they became part of the allies,

upload_2017-9-18_16-13-14.png

trajen777

Banned
The Achaean league had been badly defeated by Philip V. in 219. Philip pillaged, raped, and burned across the entire league, basically by the end of the year the league had ceased to exist. However the Aetolia league had also fallen to the allies. The balance of power was pretty even in that Philip had taken massive amounts of plunder with which he could increase his mercenary forces while he planned on bribing the northern tribes to both stay neutral and make its warriors available to be hired as mercenaries.

On the inverse of this the Allies had converted the Aetolian conquests into additional members of the Allies. This was achieved by enfranchising the individuals with land redistribution from the “reforms”.

Peace feelers was worked on thru the winter of 219 – 218. In the meantime both groups worked hard to find allies and financial support. Mercenaries were hired around the world to build their armies up. However the cost of mercenaries went way up with the start of the Punic war in 218.

The northern tribes agreed to both the Macedonians and the Spartan (allies) alliance. They took money from Philip and in the same breath agreed to invade the northern Macedonian territories. So the tribes just basically decided to take the money and then see what happened.

For the remainder of 218 border clashes and forts on both sides were captured as each party worked on consolidation, stocking up supplies, and making sure their armies were ready for a major clash.

trajen777

Banned
As the armies went home for the winter events in Italy moved forward. Hannibal crossed the Alps and won two great victories at the Battle of the Trebia (December 218 BC), the Battle of Lake Trasimene (217 BC). The dual victory’s shocked the world and left the Greek world taking sides. Sparta (allies) had been traditional allies of the Romans while Philip V had leaned towards Cartage. In the middle of winter the Allies sent a force of 12,000 troops over to Italy to help Rome. The troops marched swiftly to Rome and were prepared to defend the walls. At that time a handful of marines were available to defend Rome, and the citizens would be always be grateful for the arrival of the Spartans. This would cement the long term friendship that would be a key point of the relationship for the future centuries. As Hannibal bypassed Rome and marched south 8,000 Spartans returned to Greece the remaining 4,000 would be used as garrison forces (mercenaries).

As the spring of the year approached both nations prepared for the climactic battle that would decide the fate of Greece. One benefit of the Roman alliance was the impact on the northern tribes above Macedonia who had worked with Rome for over 10 years now.

As the armies went home for the winter events in Italy moved forward. Hannibal crossed the Alps and won two great victories at the Battle of the Trebia (December 218 BC), the Battle of Lake Trasimene (217 BC). The dual victory’s shocked the world and left the Greek world taking sides. Sparta (allies) had been traditional allies of the Romans while Philip V had leaned towards Cartage. In the middle of winter the Allies sent a force of 12,000 troops over to Italy to help Rome. The troops marched swiftly to Rome and were prepared to defend the walls. At that time a handful of marines were available to defend Rome, and the citizens would be always be grateful for the arrival of the Spartans. This would cement the long term friendship that would be a key point of the relationship for the future centuries. As Hannibal bypassed Rome and marched south 8,000 Spartans returned to Greece the remaining 4,000 would be used as garrison forces (mercenaries).

As the spring of the year approached both nations prepared for the climactic battle that would decide the fate of Greece. One benefit of the Roman alliance was the impact on the northern tribes above Macedonia who had worked with Rome for over 10 years now.
Should be victories.

Also I'm not sure exactly how swift travel times were back then but the Spartans and allies would have to be moving pretty fast to be able to hear about Lake Trasimene, organize an expedition, and reach rome, all before Hannibal passed Rome on his way south (he was in Campania before the end of summer). Other than that it's a pretty good TL so far.

Anyone have any comments or opinions ?

Really like the simple diagram of the battle,I wasn't quite sure what you meant,it really helped.I'm slightly confused by the tactics employed (I can't help but think the Achaeans would have been better off fortifying the key forts and cities for a siege and employing their cavalry as a raiding force against supply lines rather than force a battle against an larger force when there is a growing threat elsewhere,plus the tactic of a deep punch with infantry was very old by this point and unlikely to succeed against an experienced force) .
However I think that's more down to my lesser knowledge of this time period rather than a problem with your TL and I'm sure that there was a reason why this wasn't possible

I'm enjoying the TL a lot. Do continue.

Also I'm not sure exactly how swift travel times were back then but the Spartans and allies would have to be moving pretty fast to be able to hear about Lake Trasimene, organize an expedition, and reach rome, all before Hannibal passed Rome on his way south

I'm in agreement. Even assuming a message or refugee from the Romans made it to Greece that fast, They'd have to verify the information, reform their army and march to Rome weakening themselves at home in the process.

By fast boat it would take approximately 11 days to get a messenger from Rome to Athens, maybe 16 days to reach Amphipolis. and that's just a fast messenger boat.

If you then take into account that you can't just muster thousands of soldiers,even assuming you took the first message as complete truth and acted immediately, and head straight to Rome at the drop of a hat . I can't see any significant force from Greece reaching Rome to have such a significant impact and sway an alliance as in your proposal. Plus the cost and supplies required would probably cause further delays,and with more fighting expected at home ,a certain reluctance from any Greek army is probably to be expected ,no?

trajen777

Banned
Should be victories.

Also I'm not sure exactly how swift travel times were back then but the Spartans and allies would have to be moving pretty fast to be able to hear about Lake Trasimene, organize an expedition, and reach rome, all before Hannibal passed Rome on his way south (he was in Campania before the end of summer). Other than that it's a pretty good TL so far.

Good Point -- Trebia happened in Dec 18 and Trisiamine in 17. I was kind of looking at the Spartans having the Merc and some Spartans in forts and was able to cobble troops together quickly -- but good point of if the communication could travel that fast and possible response time