Reconstruction: The Second American Revolution - The Sequel to Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid

Bottom line, any hope of a united Lost Cause Mythology with tenants that they all can mostly agree on and make a concerted effort to push through on a National Level is right out. The various proponents of Southern Viewpoints of the Civil War will be far too busy tearing each other to shreds over which faction in the South was truly to blame for the defeat and which can truly claim to be the 'true' heirs of the Confederate Legacy and Memory.
Not dealing with the Sons & Daughters of the Confederacy in the post-war period is just simply music to my ears. Fuck those people.

Just binged the entire Every Drop of Blood TL in the last 3 or 4 days. Not usually one for reading US timelines but this has held my attention into the dawn hours of the morning reading.

Given how the Daughters of the Confederacy are unlikely to be formed, now I have a question: would this butterfly away Mount Rushmore? Because I might be wrong, but I think that the DotC hired someone to create something similar but with Jefferson Davis, Lee and many Confederate soldiers (a project that went nowhere) and then that same person was the one that did Mount Rushmore.

Maybe instead of OTL DOTC, we get a more inclusive Daughters of the South? It's made up of the descendants of Southern Unionists/Confederates/Freedman/etc.

Why not just put the sequel's tropes in the original's page, but on a different section? I've seen it done before.
Yeah, it's the best option.
Make two folders, one for the first part's tropes and another for the second.
When it becomes too unwieldy, we can then split it in two pages.

To pour cold water on the "UDC and Lost Cause go away forever" for abit: I actually do think a organization like it is very likely to be formed and continue on through the Post War era. The fact is, the Civil War was a profoundly meaningful event for the people who went through it, and many who participated will still want to do reunions, to preserve memories and Legacy and the like. Trying to suppress them with Government force, decades after the conflict, will just push them underground and spawn bad will. The trick is, to make these organizations less politically powerful and the narratives they spin around the conflict less harmful. The entire "Just Defending home and hearth unlike those bastord Planters/Firebreathers (Insert based on class allegiance).

In our timeline there were a reunion at Gettysburg on the 50th anniversary and still a few scattered Soldiers made it in 1938 for the 75th anniversary.

It seems that, even though the planter class is being destroyed, there would be some desire for a reunion just to show that it is one nation now, one nation that is pushing forward to eliminate every bit of that stigma that the planter class established.

Perhaps instead of Gettysburg, Union Mills will be that reunion place. A battle that saw blacks and whites fighting together in a common cause for the Union, and where Southern soldiers will join them to show they accept that the races can coexist. It will of course be just the poor, or those who were poor and lower class in the 1860s, but some sort of reunion to remember is human nature.

To be clear, I didn't say those Narratives/Organizations WOULDN'T pop up, just that they are bound to never become anywhere near as prominent, widespread and nigh-universally accepted as they were in OTL.
Eh, I think these narrative will always be very prominent in the White South, and to make true reconstruction, a part of which always entailed reconciliation with white southerners, a success you have to have at least some of that narrative be accepted. Best for the everyone for that part to be the “Firebreathers started everything, those who just fought for there homes are not to
be reproached.”. Is it all true? No. Is it better than OTL? I’d say so, as it keeps the door on racial reconciliation open.

Granted, though even with the OTL full reconciliation and lost cause on paper, the wounds between North and South layed open and deep for a long ass time. See not willingly electing a president from the South until nearly 100 years after the War ended. Perhaps, that stretches on even longer here (although granted, yes, Jim Crow played a big part in this)

Last edited:
You're welcome. Yeah, when people start wondering why certain groups of blacks want to separate for a while, that may cause further study into the idea of these imprints. Because even for me with a touch of Asperger's, especially when younger, such things were a little confusing. Because after all, they had to achieve what they wanted. And once it is explained it makes sense to me. It will definitely be Harder for someone who doesn't even have the concept of trauma.

This too might end up leading to a much greater understanding of trauma than the people had just a decade earlier.

(Theodor Meynert made some discoveries about the amygdala in 1867. From what I just found. And if Doctor Da Costa has not corresponded with him before. I'm sure he will now :))
Yeah, a much more traumatizing Civil War is bound to cause much more widespread PTSD and then, hopefully, a greater understanding of the condition, how to treat it, and empathy for those who have it.

This is actually a favorite historical niche of mine, so I'm quite excited to see how you choose to cover it. I'm definitely curious if Ex parte Milligan comes out the same from Lincoln's new Court (I do not recall what changes were made there vs. OTL). As seems to be a recurring theme, though, the Junta has hoist its own petard. Their actions made the south an active war zone where no functioning civilian courts exist, and eliminated whatever facade of government Breckinridge could've protected them with. It's beautiful.

Like Wendell Phillips said--
Yes, at the end they courted their own destruction. I think it was mentioned that the equivalent to the Milligan case was more radical and allowed for military tribunals in any State still in insurrection, and given the Southern conditions that clearly applies. In any case, however, these cases are probably going to be somewhat controversial for American jurisprudence, since they are bound to have their fair share of extralegality and arbitrariness.

Hope the next update will catch up on the carpetbaggers and Scalawags ITTL

Seeing the Russian Embassy in the last vignette makes me thing... Alaska's coming up. Maybe Lincoln could settle some black soldiers up in Kodiak or Sitka
Yeah, we're gonna get a good look at what those White Unionists are going through. One of the greatest failures of OTL Reconstruction is that White Unionist support was not carefully cultivated as it ought to have been. Experiences during Reconstruction and then later the Populist movements showed that there were real chances for bi-racial democracy, with Whites swallowing down their racism in exchange of meaningful reform.

interesting indeed, honestly it could go either way, Hoar and Strong to me seem more likely to side with the dissent while Fisher seems more likely to side with the majority but there’s so little about Ballard‘s judicial opinions that I can’t say with certainty, while Ballard did prosecute traitors and the like he was in Kentucky, I am not sure if he would support the same measures in Indiana.
It's interesting, but I think we could enter a period of weakness for the Supreme Court. Republicans showed they were fully willing to just strip the Court's jurisdiction to protect Reconstruction, and with them having the Executive in their side I could see them just pressuring the SCOTUS into not messing with them and their power over the South and the nation.

And on that note, the Union's focus on war criminals, junta leaders, and fire-eaters is also convenient for the Union on grounds that the bureaucracy for larger-scale trials than those people doesn't really exist.
Indeed. Most trials will actually be conducted by ad-hoc military commissions integrated in that moment, instead of a national bureaucracy.

So far I appreciate the emphasis on black agency throughout the process of dismantling the Slavocracy. It just shows that they're not just a monolithic group that accepted their new status all at once but rather they were real people who weighed their options before declaring themselves free, and once they did, took matters into their own hands to work the land for their family and community. With land reform and distribution being more favored towards the freedmen (and more importantly, their lands and wealth can be inherited throughout the generations), the future is bright for Black Americans ITTL.
Thanks :) I've tried really hard to show the agency of Black people as players in the Reconstruction process, since so often they are reduced to passive factors in many timelines. I think with this we've set them up for greater success.

Considering the treason trials, this reminds me: What line of defense will the vanquished rebel leaders be taking in their defenses?
Probably two main lines of defense: first, they couldn't have committed treason, since they surrendered their American citizenship and owed allegiance only to their States; and, second, that they are not guilty of war crimes and that the Yankees are worse criminals in any case.

I fully expect quite a few to take the Saddam Hussein approach and deny the legitimacy of the Court trying them, especially the civilian politicians who often had legal backgrounds and can make a legitimate claim that civilians being tried by military courts is technically illegal (which was a major stumbling block IOTL vis-a-vis the question of trying Confederate leaders).
Probably that as well. I can see many harping on how, if they are indeed Americans and thus can be trailed by their courts, they should receive the same constitutional protections; if they don't receive those protections because they have forfeited their citizenship, then they aren't Americans and can't be trialed by their courts.

It’s a solid policy, beats having to rely on merchants that will wring them dry and offer a chance to build wealth.

That would definitely help the South’s rebuilding. Historically, merchants charged higher interest rates than banks because they themselves were borrowing funds and had greater market power. Moreover, investing back into the freedmen is not only the morally responsible thing to do, it helps avoid the speculation that doomed the Freedman’s Bank IOTL. If I might suggest, perhaps the Freedman’s Bank should switch from being a mere savings bank to its new mission as the Cotton-Mule policy is finished.

It will be a different track from OTL for sure. The Federal government was scared to actually do the trial because they might accidentally declare secession as legal and constitutional. Hence, the defense kept playing up that they would prove the constitutionality of secession - in reality, Jeff Davis was scared as hell of being tried. Here, their best defense against treason would be the same: secession was constitutional, therefore it’s not treason.

There will probably be some shenanigans among the U.S. politicians as to how secession is unconditional - was it always unconstitutional or was it because of trial by battle? The latter was pushed by Radical Republicans in a last ditch for State Suicide IIRC - because secession was legal before 1865, that meant the Confederacy was an independent state and now it was a conquered territory that could be moulded into anything they wanted. Of course, that also meant that the Confederate officials did not commit treason and looking at the words ‘Treason Trials’ I doubt this worked.

For war crimes, it’s more simple. Contrary to popular belief, Henry Wirz was not the only Confederate figure to be executed for war crimes. Plenty of others were executed, such as Champ Ferguson. George Pickett of Pickett’s Charge fame was meant to be tried for executing several captured NC Unionists for serving in Federal uniforms. Only Andrew Johnson’s proclamation to ban military tribunals in peacetime stopped it and other pending trials.
I'll certainly adopt your suggestions regarding the Freedman and Southern Unionist Banks!

I think the most likely approach is just to bypass the question of secession's constitutionality by focusing instead on war crimes for many offenders. Even those who did not commit them directly could be hanged by association, saying that they supported a criminal government (the Junta) ergo they are criminals. I can also see some simply refusing to engage with the question, but that would give some credence to the idea that these were mere kangaroo courts that wished to hang rebels without real regard for legality or justice.

Loved the chapter! I'm a bit late to comment because I was traveling. I have to ask though...

Is this a reference to "Somewhere in South Carolina"/"A deserter and a freeman." because it feels like it lol

If so, that's cool, if not, still a cool moment.
Thanks! It was not a conscious reference, I'm afraid, but in hindsight it works perfectly as one :D

Something that just occurred to me: One major reason for why the Lost Cause will never take root in this Timeline, besides many of it's leading proponents in OTL not surviving the War and it's aftermath here, is the division among the Confederates.

In OTL, the Confederacy went to it's death mostly united. After Lee surrendered, most of the other Leaders understood it was over and followed suit not long after. Like, something all Confederates could agree on was how and when everything ended for them...and instead of blaming each other for the defeat, they all then went on to blame the North, the Union Army, Sherman's March to the sea, superior enemy numbers, etc., etc.
Once they got themselves organized, they could thus quickly and without much fuss publish and push their narrative of the war, why it began, how it was fought and why it was lost. They presented the Confederacy as a united Entity that stood together to the end and never faltered in their unity.

Bluntly put, this is flat-out impossible in this Timeline. Any attempt by possible Lost Cause Activists to make their narrative popular on a level above local is gonna run into the problem that the Confederacy absolutely disintegrated after the October Coup...and that the various splinter factions all have their own ideas about how, when and why the War was lost.
Breckingridge-ites are gonna lay the blame chiefly at the feet of the Coup and those who supported it, calling them the vilest of traitors who 'ruined everything'. Supporters of the Coup will blame Breckinridge and his policies for 'mismanaging the war' and 'betraying the Foundations of the Confederacy'. Supporters of Kirby Smith or other former Confederate voices might say that both of those camps were morons and another way was actually the best, that the Yankees were the most to blame, or the British and French for not formally recognizing the Confederacy, or maybe some shadow cabal of Negroes/Jews/Abolitionists/whatever manipulating events behind the scenes, etc., etc.

Bottom line, any hope of a united Lost Cause Mythology with tenants that they all can mostly agree on and make a concerted effort to push through on a National Level is right out. The various proponents of Southern Viewpoints of the Civil War will be far too busy tearing each other to shreds over which faction in the South was truly to blame for the defeat and which can truly claim to be the 'true' heirs of the Confederate Legacy and Memory.
Exactly! That was one of my main reasonings regarding the Coup: divide and conquer. With many Southerners more focused on blaming each other over their defeat and who exactly caused their suffering, it'd be much harder for a narrative akin to the OTL Lost Cause to take hold. Likewise, it gives the Union an opening to poor Whites, by blaming the planters for the war, the defeat, and then the calamitous post-war.

Huzzah :)

Just binged the entire Every Drop of Blood TL in the last 3 or 4 days. Not usually one for reading US timelines but this has held my attention into the dawn hours of the morning reading.
Hey, I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much! To the point of reading such a long timeline and reading it until the dawn, that's great that I was able to hold your attention like that. Thanks for your comment :)

Given how the Daughters of the Confederacy are unlikely to be formed, now I have a question: would this butterfly away Mount Rushmore? Because I might be wrong, but I think that the DotC hired someone to create something similar but with Jefferson Davis, Lee and many Confederate soldiers (a project that went nowhere) and then that same person was the one that did Mount Rushmore.
Actually I wouldn't mind butterflying Mount Rushmore. As iconic as it is, I don't like how it's built on stolen land.

Maybe instead of OTL DOTC, we get a more inclusive Daughters of the South? It's made up of the descendants of Southern Unionists/Confederates/Freedman/etc.
I could see something like that! Maybe a filial of the Grand Army of the Republic dedicated explicitly to Union soldiers who came from the Southern States. With a Statue of George Thomas, of course.

Why not just put the sequel's tropes in the original's page, but on a different section? I've seen it done before.
Yeah, it's the best option.
Make two folders, one for the first part's tropes and another for the second.
When it becomes too unwieldy, we can then split it in two pages.
That's probably the most sensible option for now.

To pour cold water on the "UDC and Lost Cause go away forever" for abit: I actually do think a organization like it is very likely to be formed and continue on through the Post War era. The fact is, the Civil War was a profoundly meaningful event for the people who went through it, and many who participated will still want to do reunions, to preserve memories and Legacy and the like. Trying to suppress them with Government force, decades after the conflict, will just push them underground and spawn bad will. The trick is, to make these organizations less politically powerful and the narratives they spin around the conflict less harmful. The entire "Just Defending home and hearth unlike those bastord Planters/Firebreathers (Insert based on class allegiance).
I do think we'll see competing organizations and narratives for a few decades, with some people insisting nonetheless than the Confederacy was right and their cause was just. The thing is, defining what the Confederate cause and legacy even are will be harder. I can't see organizations praising Breckinridge and praising the Junta getting along, to say the least. Eventually, the idea that most Confederates were forced by the planters to fight in an unnecesary war, but that they nonetheless fought with valor and honor, will win out. Until around the modern day that narrative, too, is challenged.

In our timeline there were a reunion at Gettysburg on the 50th anniversary and still a few scattered Soldiers made it in 1938 for the 75th anniversary.

It seems that, even though the planter class is being destroyed, there would be some desire for a reunion just to show that it is one nation now, one nation that is pushing forward to eliminate every bit of that stigma that the planter class established.

Perhaps instead of Gettysburg, Union Mills will be that reunion place. A battle that saw blacks and whites fighting together in a common cause for the Union, and where Southern soldiers will join them to show they accept that the races can coexist. It will of course be just the poor, or those who were poor and lower class in the 1860s, but some sort of reunion to remember is human nature.
The mythic Gettysburg reunion, though known nowadays as an example of reconciliation, actually was a quite terse meeting. Bitterness had evidently remained, a few fistfights broke out, and many veterans openly insulted or refused to associate with the "enemy." I could see a Union Mills reunion resulting in similar incidents. Surely, a survivor of the Stonewall Brigade wouldn't be happy to see a Black veteran of the 54th Massachusetts there.

Eh, I think these narrative will always be very prominent in the White South, and to make true reconstruction, a part of which always entailed reconciliation with white southerners, a success you have to have at least some of that narrative be accepted. Best for the everyone for that part to be the “Firebreathers started everything, those who just fought for there homes are not to
be reproached.”. Is it all true? No. Is it better than OTL? I’d say so, as it keeps the door on racial reconciliation open.

Granted, though even with the OTL full reconciliation and lost cause on paper, the wounds between North and South layed open and deep for a long ass time. See not willingly electing a president from the South until nearly 100 years after the War ended. Perhaps, that stretches on even longer here (although granted, yes, Jim Crow played a big part in this)
Yes, at the end of the day we need a measure of "charity for all" - or at the very least charity for the poor Whites. Conciliating them by blaming the planters for everything is still better than by saying that no one, neither planters nor yeomen, were to blame.

Probably that as well. I can see many harping on how, if they are indeed Americans and thus can be trailed by their courts, they should receive the same constitutional protections; if they don't receive those protections because they have forfeited their citizenship, then they aren't Americans and can't be trialed by their courts.
On that note, trying civilian politicians via military tribunal could be something that draws some controversy even from those who support tribunals for Confederate military leaders on grounds that, while they deserve their day in court for their crimes, the "normal" court system should have been used to prosecute them with the possibility that the question of whether civilian politicians, as opposed to military officers, being tried that way was even legal going to the Supreme Court.

Mount Rushmore was built for the proximate reason of attracting tourists to the Black Hills, after the area's economy declined following the gold rush there. It's sadly quite unlikely this butterflies away the Black Hills Gold Rush and the war and land-thefts that followed - but I do wonder if, with a larger "carpetbagger" migration taking people who would otherwise move west southwards, and the costs of keeping the military in the South coming at the expense of western deployments, western settlement, including that of the Black Hills, would be weaker, or at least delayed.

This is an obvious enough idea - but it would be both fun and plausible for the Mount Rushmore analogue to be at Stone Mountain.

How did I miss this. This is almost as bad when i accidentally hit ignore on the old thread for months.

I saw early you said that a land value tax is probably happening do think Georgeism is going to be stronger this timeline with more staying power? Also I can see some left wing people in the United states jumping on Georgism as a way to divide land owners and capitalists event they often are the same

Yes, at the end of the day we need a measure of "charity for all" - or at the very least charity for the poor Whites. Conciliating them by blaming the planters for everything is still better than by saying that no one, neither planters nor yeomen, were to blame.
Even if the reality that the richer yeomen, the "small slaveholders" who aspired to be planters one day and arguably stood more to lose than the planters from Lincoln winning, were the class most "guilty" of secession would need to be papered over.
This is an obvious enough idea - but it would be both fun and plausible for the Mount Rushmore analogue to be at Stone Mountain.
That sounds like an interesting idea, though the question is whose faces would be there aside from Washington and Lincoln as Jefferson’s reputation might be lower ITTL.