Looking around the forums I've seen some ideas floating around regarding possible
German (Prussian) settlement of the island of Tierra del Fuego (Preußisch-Feuerland).

What would be the best time frame for this to take place (my rough guess would be from the 1850's to the 1870's)
What would be the best way for the Prussian government to go about colonising the Island? could deals be made with Chile (who would later go on to have a very strong relationship with the German state) to secure Prussian sovereignty over the area?

Assuming that a colony is successfully established what butterflies can we expect for the German colonial empire and even Germany itself. Control of Tierra del Fuego would give Germany better access to the pacific. Could this lead to a stronger East Asia Squadron. If coastal defences were developed could this even have butterflies for WW1, I.e has a safe haven for the remains of Von Spee's East Asia Squadron?

What butterflies could this have for the German Empire as a whole, if a base is established could this give Germany enough prestige and a better standing to gain more colonies in Africa and Asia?

In terms of demographics how do you think Tierra del Fuego would turn out differently; could the Germans establish it as penal colony, ignore it (relatively) or set it up as full on settler colony.

The island experienced a gold rush in the last two decades of the 19th century
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tierra_del_Fuego_gold_rush
What would change if all or part of the island was in German hands, could we see a massive influx of gold prospectors from Germany?

Lastly going back to WW1 assuming that Von Spee's fleet has found refuge in Tierra del Fuego and coastal defences were built how would the British (or French, or even Americans) tackle the colony. Would they assault it directly, try to starve it out (could local farming and Chilean/Argentinean imports counteract this) or try to ignore it.

Coming to the end of World war One what would be the fate of colony, could Germany keep it?!? or more likely will it be ceded to the British (or slim chance, the Americans). What the British do with the colony, try to expel the Germans, allow them to stay (abit like a German Quebec?), could they try lumping it together with Falklands if so what consequences could we expect.

If it is lost could this boost support the Nazis, esp if the colony is so well integrated and populated with ethnic Germans it is seen as an integral part of Germany (like Algeria). Although likely small do you think this change could have butterflies for WW2?

Lastly post war what do you think the British would do, if lumped together with the Falklands could we see a dominion of the South Atlantic? Would it be separated from the Falklands and given independence? Assuming its still owned or closely associated with the Brits by 82' how could this affect the Falklands war, would Argentina try attacking the islands? Modern day if still apart of Britain what butterflies could be expected? Or if independent what would this country look like how would it interact with Argentina and Chile, what would relations be like with Germany?

Sorry for the long post I just find the idea to be fascinating as such a small pod has potential for substantial butterflies.

Last edited:
No biters? :(
just another quick idea regarding the gold rush was that a small scale 'genocide' of the natives occurred during the gold rush, would this still happen or be even worse under a German Tierra del Fuego and potentially add to Germany's dismal record on genocides?

I really can't see this happening. 1850s to 1870s would make it Prussia's/Germany's first colony, and IIRC at this stage Bismark was hostile to overseas adventures, preferring to concentrate on Unification and Europe, and not wanting to upset other colonial powers like Britain. So the 1880s then? But in 1881 Chile and Argentina have agreed to divide T del F between them. I think Germany will prefer to develop good relations with one or the other, maybe both.

And what would be the point of making T del F a colony? I don't think strategic importance alone is enough at this time. Certainly not a settler colony. It's cool and wet in the west and south, and cool and dry in the east. There are lots of places more attractive to German emigrants, even if they're not actually owned by Germany. It's only with the Gold Rush that you're going to get a lot of Europeans coming to the island, as in OTL. I think btw that the native peoples are still going to suffer with your proposal. Any timeline that includes a gold rush and settlement is going to mean death for the Selk'nam and Yahgan.

The best I can see happening is Germany supporting either Chile or Argentina (hopefully it's Chile) in a successful claim to the whole island, and getting preferential treatment for doing so.