Presidents of the Confederate States

trouble is both the US and CS political systems are built in such a way to make long term multi-party politics near impossible

Yes, but in the North, we had the Republican party starting from scratch and after a couple of years pushing the (northern) Whigs into annihilation. Any chance something like this could happen in the south too? There still will be only two parties -at the same time- but over time they might not be the same two.

Yes, but in the North, we had the Republican party starting from scratch and after a couple of years pushing the (northern) Whigs into annihilation. Any chance something like this could happen in the south too? There still will be only two parties -at the same time- but over time they might not be the same two.

oh yes, something like that is possible
what I meant is the system cant sustain three or more parties at the same time for anything beyond the odd election (otl Perot in 92, Wallace 68, Roosevelt 12, Weaver 92)

Could the CSA experience electoral fusion though? Certainly several southern states did in the reconstruction period in our timeline.

Could the CSA experience electoral fusion though? Certainly several southern states did in the reconstruction period in our timeline.

its possible I suppose, but I still don't think that likely, the CS constitution was rly built to cater for a simple two party system, just like the US one

I suppose there might be some kind of confederate DFL representation in congress, that's plausible

its possible I suppose, but I still don't think that likely, the CS constitution was rly built to cater for a simple two party system, just like the US one

I suppose there might be some kind of confederate DFL representation in congress, that's plausible

Maybe, but would there even *be* a successful DFL equivalent in the C.S.A.? I mean, it could be tried, but they might have a hard time taking off, especially if slavery is still around.

But given the states' rights orientation, I'd expect at minimum the prospect for distinct state parties which may coalesce around shared presidential tickets.

I like this idea, but it would make congressional caucuses a nightmare

True, but there are presidential systems where there are effectively legislative coalitions I think. Alaska has even had a situation in which one caucus consisted of Republicans and Democrats while the other consisted solely of the remaining Republicans.