Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Unless Columbia buy the rights,even a bad dinosaur movie is irrelevant, there's not chance the project would be marketed if they use JP name without Crichton authorization
It wouldn't use the name outright. But it would let's just say, take alot of "inspiration" from JP in a way that in a court of law it would be hard to argue as omage or parody

It wouldn't use the name outright. But it would let's just say, take alot of "inspiration" from JP in a way that in a court of law it would be hard to argue as omage or parody
Seems you doesn't know how movies works, those concepts are heavily review by lawyer before going, but you can't own direct ideas,like if Sony do a movie about a dinosaur island the dinosaur are bring back genetic engineering might be on the edge but as long you don't name drop Hammond or sysgen or other things that's protected but the project wouldn't fly if that doesn't pass the copyright checks... So your idea is stupid to begin with,so they don't have an issue or the project is never approved to begin with

Probably just a nasty lawsuit (similar to the ones the Asylum gets hit with but obviously a bit more serious) a big bill, the entire board and whoever commissioned the film fired and a "Don't do it again or else!" Maybe Universal gets to buy the Spider-Man rights while Columbia is sorting itself out?
Or Universal could buy Marvel outright?

You guys heard of Mantan Moreland? He did a lot of background and side characters during the black & white film era. One of his most famous roles, in my opinion, was Birmingham Brown, the chauffeur for Charlie Chan. He was actually considered for the role of the third Stooge when Shemp Howard died of a heart attack, with both Moe and Shemp giving him high praises and being open to the idea. Sadly, Colombia wanted to use someone who was already under contract and went with Joe Besser... and every Three Stooges fan knows how well that went.

Now, what if Colombia actually approved of Moe and Shemp's recommendation and made Mantan the third Stooge instead?

Last edited:
What if Kirby was the flagship franchise for Nintendo, instead of Mario?

It might be mostly ASB, but I see 2 factors that led to Mario’s massive popularity: Donkey Kong and being an NES launch title.

What if, say, both DK and SMB1 were replaced with Kirby characters? There might be some light Kirby touches, such as the pink ball being able to swallow enemies but not copy them.

After that, the 2D Kirby games are similar to the OTL counterparts, with the 3D games being more ambitious.

All Donkey Kong games are butterflied away, but I’d imagine most other franchises would stick around.
I’m thinking of starting this soon. Any butterflies that I should be aware of by removing Mario (the character, not the games.)

Platformers would still be really popular, but there might be more of a focus on adventure.

Why wasn't the SNES's PPU exposed to cartridges over the system's memory bus? (Aside from the CPU's DMA path to the PPU being fast and high-bandwidth enough, I mean.) Does anybody know? (Or know of any relevant references or discussion anywhere online?)

Why wasn't the SNES's PPU exposed to cartridges over the system's memory bus? (Aside from the CPU's DMA path to the PPU being fast and high-bandwidth enough, I mean.) Does anybody know? (Or know of any relevant references or discussion anywhere online?)
What I'm reading, must be the loROM/HiRom configuration when the banks goes straights to the CPU to be read.... https://snes.nesdev.org/wiki/SNES_PPU_for_NES_developers And that comes straight from the memory cycle... so just how Nintendo did it

We all know that Jim Henson was planning to sell his company to Disney in 1989-1990, only for negotiations to fall apart when he died. OR WAS IT? Turns out, negotiations dragged on for a really long time because Eisner wanted the rights to the Sesame Street Muppets, and Henson wanted to sell them back to the Childrens' Television Workshop. So there's a big chance that even if Henson lived, the Disney deal wouldn't have gone through. But Henson still wanted out of running a company. So who would he sell it to?

A friend on mine suggested Ted Turner. The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock aired on TNT for its first few years, and Jim even made a few PSAs for Turner's short-lived Better World Foundation. Plus, it could complement Hanna-Barbera well. Here are my own ideas:
  • The Cartoon Network still happens, but the Muppets are just as big a staple as the HB and MGM library toons (because you'd have to be an idiot to own the Muppets in 1992 and NOT have them headline your new family channel). But the Muppets are live-action, right? Well, technically, they're puppets. Teletoon, in its launch in 1997, aired Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL-5. And Sci-Fi Channel's Cartoon Quest, which began the same year as CN (1992, with the rest of the Sci-Fi Channel), had fellow Gerry Anderson series Stingray and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons at launch. But for those still not convinced, a big part of CN's early Muppet marketing would center around a debate on whether puppets count as cartoons.
  • On a similar toon route, with the Muppet crew still being fresh and funny (though with limited success in Henson's later years) and H-B being in its flop era when Turner buys it, Turner puts some corporate synergy to work and has some of the Muppet crew shared with Hanna-Barbera and vice versa, essentially being part of a combined family-ish unit.
  • Turner would agree not to buy the Sesame Muppets, which would go back to CTW... but would instead donate to CTW regularly. This would begin a relationship with CTW and Turner that could result in them airing Sesame Street reruns as early as the late 90s, or a Noggin equivalent being made with Turner/TimeWarner instead of Nick. (And hopefully, stuff like Destroy Build Destroy and Dude What Would Happen air there instead.)
  • The Muppets could still go to Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, being a big part of it- especially considering that many of the "MGM" properties represented in the park were owned by Turner at the time. The Muppet Studios land would even be formed as planned, though the planned Muppetland takeover of Disneyland would be scrapped.
  • Several projects Henson was planning, such as the Muppet event "Pig of the Nineties" (where Miss Piggy officially breaks up with Kermit) go through.
  • Future Henson projects would go to Turner networks, such as TNT or the Cartoon Network.
  • I'm thinking of potentially combining this POD with an earlier POD of Turner not selling his company to TimeWarner.

We all know that Jim Henson was planning to sell his company to Disney in 1989-1990, only for negotiations to fall apart when he died. OR WAS IT? Turns out, negotiations dragged on for a really long time because Eisner wanted the rights to the Sesame Street Muppets, and Henson wanted to sell them back to the Childrens' Television Workshop. So there's a big chance that even if Henson lived, the Disney deal wouldn't have gone through. But Henson still wanted out of running a company. So who would he sell it to?

A friend on mine suggested Ted Turner. The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock aired on TNT for its first few years, and Jim even made a few PSAs for Turner's short-lived Better World Foundation. Plus, it could complement Hanna-Barbera well. Here are my own ideas:
  • The Cartoon Network still happens, but the Muppets are just as big a staple as the HB and MGM library toons (because you'd have to be an idiot to own the Muppets in 1992 and NOT have them headline your new family channel). But the Muppets are live-action, right? Well, technically, they're puppets. Teletoon, in its launch in 1997, aired Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL-5. And Sci-Fi Channel's Cartoon Quest, which began the same year as CN (1992, with the rest of the Sci-Fi Channel), had fellow Gerry Anderson series Stingray and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons at launch. But for those still not convinced, a big part of CN's early Muppet marketing would center around a debate on whether puppets count as cartoons.
  • On a similar toon route, with the Muppet crew still being fresh and funny (though with limited success in Henson's later years) and H-B being in its flop era when Turner buys it, Turner puts some corporate synergy to work and has some of the Muppet crew shared with Hanna-Barbera and vice versa, essentially being part of a combined family-ish unit.
  • Turner would agree not to buy the Sesame Muppets, which would go back to CTW... but would instead donate to CTW regularly. This would begin a relationship with CTW and Turner that could result in them airing Sesame Street reruns as early as the late 90s, or a Noggin equivalent being made with Turner/TimeWarner instead of Nick. (And hopefully, stuff like Destroy Build Destroy and Dude What Would Happen air there instead.)
  • The Muppets could still go to Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, being a big part of it- especially considering that many of the "MGM" properties represented in the park were owned by Turner at the time. The Muppet Studios land would even be formed as planned, though the planned Muppetland takeover of Disneyland would be scrapped.
  • Several projects Henson was planning, such as the Muppet event "Pig of the Nineties" (where Miss Piggy officially breaks up with Kermit) go through.
  • Future Henson projects would go to Turner networks, such as TNT or the Cartoon Network.
  • I'm thinking of potentially combining this POD with an earlier POD of Turner not selling his company to TimeWarner.
You should make that a timeline if you don’t want to borrow my timeline 96 element of the Jim Henson company being purchased by Sony

first time hearing about it...and he did make a better work,XD

These are some great ideas!

How would the Turner/CTW Noggin look like?

These are some great ideas!

How would the Turner/CTW Noggin look like?
Well...
  • Captain Planet as a launch show, obviously.
  • Sesame Workshop would probably stick around, at least for longer than IOTL. Even if it doesn't, it's likely Sesame content could continue to air on the channel to this day.
  • It wouldn't be called Noggin- that came from the Nickelodeon side of the equation, back when its educational channel and CTW's planned educational channel were seperate ideas. CTW's channel was set to be called "New Kid City"- which I think could at least be the basis for a better name. Like Nuki.
  • Nuki might undergo network decay- while it still has educational content, it would otherwise shift into a more entertainment-based channel for Turner to put their live-action kids shows. (This means CN Real never has a chance to happen, thank god) Animated educational/preschool shows and occasional educational puppet shows like Sesame Street air on CN.
  • Alternatively, it could turn into a Cartoonito channel, like how Noggin turned into Nick Jr. Or perhaps both, a la preschool Noggin and The N.

Well...
  • Captain Planet as a launch show, obviously.
  • Sesame Workshop would probably stick around, at least for longer than IOTL. Even if it doesn't, it's likely Sesame content could continue to air on the channel to this day.
  • It wouldn't be called Noggin- that came from the Nickelodeon side of the equation, back when its educational channel and CTW's planned educational channel were seperate ideas. CTW's channel was set to be called "New Kid City"- which I think could at least be the basis for a better name. Like Nuki.
Nuki is the perfect name! Also, Turner and Henson/Sesame just goes together like peanut butter and jelly!
  • Nuki might undergo network decay- while it still has educational content, it would otherwise shift into a more entertainment-based channel for Turner to put their live-action kids shows. (This means CN Real never has a chance to happen, thank god) Animated educational/preschool shows and occasional educational puppet shows like Sesame Street air on CN.
I could actually see them becoming the US equivalent of CBBC, with a mixture of all of that. I'd also assume all of The N's shows would air here as well.
  • Alternatively, it could turn into a Cartoonito channel, like how Noggin turned into Nick Jr. Or perhaps both, a la preschool Noggin and The N.
I'd rather just keep Cartoonito or Tiny TV as a block.

Sorry to bother you, but does anyone here understand Western European video games? I just noticed a number of gaps, and I would like to fill them.
Western Europe videogames started besides importing arcades and stuff from US, mostly on the local micro computers that created the market and demoscene with UK and Germany at the head,

Western Europe videogames started besides importing arcades and stuff from US, mostly on the local micro computers that created the market and demoscene with UK and Germany at the head,
This means that the birthplace of continental games is Germany. I'll keep it on mind.

But at the moment I am interested in a more specific question. Fanservice in the narrow sense (ie chainmail bikinis, jiggle physics, that sort of thing) is something that games from the "Sixth Generation" era tend to overuse, at least the American and Japanese ones. Can this be said about games from Western Europe?