Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

The thing is not only Microsoft bombed their interview,is that Nintendo already have the GameCube ready to go(IBM billionaire contract, the start up they founded to make the GPU was already a competent one ,etc) when MS didn't even have a CPU,let alone GPU.
Okay, so how about Microsoft approaches Nintendo earlier, before they could even begin work on the GameCube? Or is that not realistic enough?

Last edited:
Okay, so how about Microsoft approaches Nintendo earlier, before they could even begin work on the GameCube? Or is that not realistic enough?
That's the thing what Ms offer? DirectX? Artx would love that but the rest? MS didn't have a GPU (Nintendo already have artx) ,CPU? Microsoft was juggling AMD and Intel till choosing Intel

That's the thing what Ms offer? DirectX? Artx would love that but the rest? MS didn't have a GPU (Nintendo already have artx) ,CPU? Microsoft was juggling AMD and Intel till choosing Intel
I'm assuming that Microsoft would probably offer Nintendo a version of DirectX for the successor to the N64 ITTL, and also make a push for DVD playback and online functionality as well, since for the former, they would most likely believe that DVD would be the way forward, unlike Nintendo, who would still be against the format due to fears of piracy. In fact, maybe Nintendo and Microsoft could try to figure out a way to combat piracy somehow, perhaps giving their DVD game discs a special colour, black probably?

who would still be against the format due to fears of piracy. In fa
It was never piracy,they refuse to pay money to Sony after the spc-700 incident, that's why they tried to work with Philips,the physical creator of CD (Sony only owned the compression codecs and helped Phillips improve the laser) but after Philips ended up being useless and chasing fool's Gold, they just dropped them. After that they first worked with NEC but because SGI inefficiencies, N64 was unable to use CD,them Samsung but later pivoted to Panasonic when they discontinued the 3DO in a CD format didn't have to pay Sony anything.

So they could use DVD drive but the console not play DVD (or charge the license fee to Sony separately)

Last edited:
It was never piracy,they refuse to pay money to Sony after the spc-700 incident, that's why they tried to work with Philips,the physical creator of CD (Sony only owned the compression codecs and helped Phillips invent the laser) but after Philips ended up being useless and chasing fool's Gold, they just dropped them. After that they first worked with NEC but because SGI inefficiencies, N64 was unable to use CD,them Samsung but later pivoted to Panasonic when they discontinued the 3DO in a CD format didn't have to pay Sony anything.

So they could use DVD drive but the console not play DVD (or charge the license fee to Sony separately)
source

What if Kirby was the flagship franchise for Nintendo, instead of Mario?

It might be mostly ASB, but I see 2 factors that led to Mario’s massive popularity: Donkey Kong and being an NES launch title.

What if, say, both DK and SMB1 were replaced with Kirby characters? There might be some light Kirby touches, such as the pink ball being able to swallow enemies but not copy them.

After that, the 2D Kirby games are similar to the OTL counterparts, with the 3D games being more ambitious.

All Donkey Kong games are butterflied away, but I’d imagine most other franchises would stick around.

Last edited:
What if the Viacom-Paramount merger in 1994 never happened, or was aborted before it could ever get off the ground. I'm assuming that we would most likely get no Nicktoon budget freeze, which means that Doug gets to complete its originally intended 65-episode run on Nick, therefore never jumping ship to Disney. It would also be very likely that Nick's unrealised movie deal with 20th Century Fox in 1993 actually goes through, resulting in a Nickelodeon Doug movie, and maybe a earlier Rugrats movie as well?

Nicktoon budget freeze, which means that Doug gets to complete its originally intended 65-episode run on Nick,
According to his creator,Doug was already cancelled before it, it was a small bless for him Disney liked Doug so they saved it and greenlight pepper Ann too

What if the Viacom-Paramount merger in 1994 never happened, or was aborted before it could ever get off the ground. I'm assuming that we would most likely get no Nicktoon budget freeze, which means that Doug gets to complete its originally intended 65-episode run on Nick, therefore never jumping ship to Disney. It would also be very likely that Nick's unrealised movie deal with 20th Century Fox in 1993 actually goes through, resulting in a Nickelodeon Doug movie, and maybe a earlier Rugrats movie as well?
No Viacom-Paramount merger also means Star Trek production does not get jerked around with multiple changes of management, means better product does out.

Longer term, it probably butterflies Enterprise and everything after it.

Maybe Nickelodeon could have stayed good. Several Nicktoons that were rejected could get greenlit.
According to his creator,Doug was already cancelled before it, it was a small bless for him Disney liked Doug so they saved it and greenlight pepper Ann too
Ouch.
No Viacom-Paramount merger also means Star Trek production does not get jerked around with multiple changes of management, means better product does out.

Wow......

Interesting, maybe the trek franchise is in far better health too?

What will be of Viacom? Bought by news corp?

interesting timeline idea: what if jetix became independent and became the fourth major kids network?
FUCKING DO IT!!!!!!!!!
If it did become independent, I have some questions.

1: When would it launch as an independent network?
2: Who would launch it?
3: What shows could we see on there? Are there any that are off the table?
4: How many originals could we see on the channel?
Right....
it was on foreing market but could disney fill up with content? regardless that gives the power rangers a new permanent home, meaning Disney now will beguilingly keep it on ABC/Cable now(Part of DISNEY hated PR but ABC loved it as it bring good ratings)
I could see that happening.....I can't believe Disney hated Power Rangers.....Why did they hate it so much?

hated Power Rangers.....Why did they hate it so much?
The typical for some producers/executive didn't liked the show/content because didn't fit the company criteria/ their taste,it wouldn't be the first time something is dropped just because it wasn't the taste of a bigwig. Is just seems they keep from the package to buy family channel and the iron clad toei contract when they would have loss it for free otherwise,but abc truly loved it,the executive at charge loved the show and was a solid rating anchor.

The typical for some producers/executive didn't liked the show/content because didn't fit the company criteria/ their taste,it wouldn't be the first time something is dropped just because it wasn't the taste of a bigwig. Is just seems they keep from the package to buy family channel and the iron clad toei contract when they would have loss it for free otherwise,but abc truly loved it,the executive at charge loved the show and was a solid rating anchor.
Damn, but at least the ABC guys liked it.

If it did become independent, I have some questions.

1: When would it launch as an independent network?
I think around 2009, when it became DXD IOTL. Or slightly earlier.
2: Who would launch it?
It would probably take up Toon Disney's slot.
3: What shows could we see on there? Are there any that are off the table?
Many of the Fox Kids library shows could show up, as well as Jetix Europe (like Kid vs. Kat and Jimmy Two-Shoes), SIP Animation, and potential early DXD acquisitions, like Spectacular Spider-Man and Naruto Shippuden. Anything made by the main Disney (including the Jetix Animation Concepts trio- SRMTHFG, Get Ed, and Yin Yang Yo) is off the table.
4: How many originals could we see on the channel?
Don't exactly know a number.

Many of the Fox Kids library shows could show up, as well as Jetix Europe (like Kid vs. Kat and Jimmy Two-Shoes), SIP Animation, and potential early DXD acquisitions, like Spectacular Spider-Man and Naruto Shippuden. Anything made by the main Disney (including the Jetix Animation Concepts trio- SRMTHFG, Get Ed, and Yin Yang Yo) is off the table.

Those are good, but why Jetix not have their own shows..........

Also, what about the Disney EMEA stuff? Or would that stuff be Jetix ITTL? Also, what about the projects originally developed for Jetix like Zeke and Luther?

Would Disney Channel cram the OTL DXD stuff on there ITTL?

If that's the case, maybe Haim Saban buys the Fox Kids library alongside the Power Rangers, and Jetix is a Saban channel. Sounds to me like that's a reasonable option.