Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

1880's: the Sino-French War
iBnIKC6l.jpg

Charlie MacDonald, Strange States and Bizzare Borders, (weirdworld.postr.com, 2014)

Oh boy, the Sino-French War.

Here we go again.

Before I start, let me remind you all that this is Strange. States. And. Bizarre. Borders. And those who have been here long know of my aversion to covering wars in general. There are other forums for those who are interested, but I like to keep things short and distinct here. OK?

Now before we can talk about all of this, we need to talk about France. The French Third Republic was feeling a little… sore from what happened at Tunisia and there were many in her government whom wanted to salve that aching wound. Namely, they wanted more colonies. So entered into the public eye a man named Jules Ferry, a republican deputy for Vosges who got himself swept into power in 1883.

He was a supporter of colonial expansion, seeing it not only as an issue of national pride, but also of the mission civilisatrice, even espousing at one point, “it is a right for the superior races, because they have a duty. They have the duty to civilize the inferior races.”

And one region where he and everyone looked was Indochina. The region was already under considerable French influence, but the colonies of Annam and Tonkin were of particular attention. France wanted inland trade and the Red River seemed to look like the perfect waterway for that. They also wanted to play catch-up with Great Britain and the Dutch, who were busy doing their own thing in the East Indies.

And so it wasn’t that surprising that the government took notice when a few hot-headed French officers stormed the citadel of Hanoi.​

rKZg37w.jpg

One officer: “This will force them to take forward their Tonkin Question!”

Ferry saw the opportunity and tried to wrench the Indochinese states apart during the damage negotiations. However, their counterparts in the East was… scatterbrained? Confused? Distracted. Yep, distracted’s good.

You see, for Annam and Tonkin it was all a big fat headache. Their armies and defences couldn’t possibly match up to the French. Even worse, Qing China was also dealing with problems of her own, largely due to the ongoing court struggle between Empress Alute and Dowager Empress Cixi over who gets to raise their son/grandson [1]. Court functionaries were replaced time and again and talks were literally stopped halfway through 1883 because a Marquis on the Chinese side got himself replaced – and said replacement wrote back to Peking naively stating that France would never go to war for Indochina.

Yeah. That happened.

As talks stopped, France went into action, taking coastal forts without regard and hoping to present a fait accompli to the other side. The only force close by that was capable of matching them was the Black Flag Army; a bandit force that grew into a massive extortion racket in northern Tonkin. With other things on their minds, Peking sanctioned the group to attack French troops.

The Sino-French War has begun.​

XMbKC8w.jpg

“Sooo… anyone have any croissants left?”

With everything said, the land battles were actually roughly matched. The French corps was more modern yet was also full of hot-headed officers, making progress slow and discordant as they slowly marched into the highlands, fighting against the royal forces, the Flack Flags, and the Yunnan Army of the Qing (though that last bit was at the border).

By contrast, the naval battles were more dramatic and fast-paced (well, for the standards of the time) and it was there that several major events happened:
  • The British closed their ports to French gunboats…​
  • The South China Sea rumour happened, and…​
  • The Republic’s Navy captured the Pescadores.​

The first one was kinda expected. Under the 1870 Foreign Enlistment Act, Great Britain can close its ports to foreign Powers under certain conditions, and London did just that in January 1884. Under pressure from Peking, they closed every port they controlled in the Far East to French warships. In response, France imposed a rice blockade at the Yangtze River delta, hoping to literally starve the capital to peace.

It wasn’t long after this that the second bullet point happened. In March, a rumour got around that Singapore will arm-twist Sarawak and close the South China Sea to France. By all accounts, it was absurd; besides international maritime law, Sarawak’s oceanic navy was pitiful (it was their river navy that was packin’!) and Charles Brooke would rather sell stuff to the French than block them. But the rumour got stuck in Paris long enough to make a few officers look at their maps.

The third one really got everyone eye-popping. Around the same time as the rumour above, a small detachment of the French navy nabbed the Pescadores Islands, cutting off Qing smugglers from supplying Taiwan, which was under a naval blockade.

This stunned the court. Whatever Annam and Tonkin were, they were tributary states. Taiwan was an integral province. Taking the Pescadores would mean gaining a stepping-stone to the island and cutting off smuggling routes to the mainland and back. That, more than anything, more than Annam, more than Tonkin, more than the rice blockade, made them offer peace.​

kvdaqZZ.jpg

There was also the fact that Japan was doing its own shenanigans on Korea, so that’s that.

dmu7FCR.jpg

Karpal Singh, The Greatest Wars of the 19th Century, (Bridgeworth Press: 1984)

…The terms of the 1884 Tientsin Convention granted France with all it had wanted. Protection of Annam and Tonkin would be handed to the Third Republic, from which the French would be free to impose their rulers the Treaty of Huế.

There was some smarting by both sides over the Pescadores Islands, though. Both governments knew of the island’s value as a stepping-stone for Formosa, as well as a strategic stopover point for vessels heading to Japan. Thus, both sides pressured hard for its incorporation into the Convention. While the Qing pushed hard, Ferry’s ministers pushed harder, and so the islands were renamed to îles des Pêcheurs ('The Fishermen's Islands') and became a French colony, in exchange for no indemnities from Peking.

When the Convention’s terms were published in China, public outrage was incalculable. Attacks on foreign businesses increased dramatically, and so were attacks on foreigners. Violence in China rose to such a point that several nations sent warships to ports like Fuzhou and Hong Kong to defend their nationals from harm. Still, even in Europe and the Americas public sympathy shifted towards the Qing; indeed, many saw France as being too domineering and unfair in claiming Chinese soil that was far removed from the main conquests.​
Nevertheless, the Sino-French War proved one thing: Small were the Pescadores islands, yet their handover to France confirmed that China was not immune to imperial conquest and partition. This lesson was observed greatly by Japan as it began enacting their own plans over Korea.
However, there were some lessons learnt for France as well. Their officer corps was badly in need of reform, as was their attention to supplies. More subtly, The Third Republic wondered what had happened if their route to the Far East was blocked by other Powers. What if open stopover ports would refuse French warships due to pre-existing agreements?

It was this lingering fear that made them look at their maps, and especially towards the colonial holders of Borneo…

--------------------

1. Based on post #668 China’s history is butterflied a bit. Empress Xiaozheyi (Alute) managed to conceive a son to Emperor Tongzhi, though he still died somewhat around 1879.​

Last edited:
Ooh, French Pescadores! Looks like Formosa will become a powder keg in East Asia, considering the competing French, Japanese and Chinese interests there...

So France is going to strike a deal with Italy or Sarawak (maybe both), to obtain the access at their ports.

Or with the Dutch. The French are late to the party in terms of getting territory of their own, but they might be able to buy rights in one or more other colonial ports.

So France is going to strike a deal with Italy or Sarawak (maybe both), to obtain the access at their ports.

Sarawak (and Brooke) is on the British sphere of influence so only Italy remain...the 'problem' is that this kind of deal can make people in London fear that between Rome and Paris there is a reapprochment and with the two nation allied (and with the addition of eveb their partial control of Tunisia) the Mediterrean can be closed or contested enough to be effectively cut off, in this manner severing an extremely vital lane of the British Empire; don't say that this will happen but that was a big no no for the UK at the time and can make people overreact.

Regarding Greece, well sure with a victorious Ottoman Empire (even if i think Athens will have received the same compensation of OTL) will 'force' her to be less vocal or aggressive in her pursuit of her irrendente...for the moment; nevertheless it will surely remain a central aspect of Greece internal and foreign politics. The problem with Greece is the fact that in this period is a poor nation that lack resources and infrastructure and so need allies and finances to achieve her objective.

Sarawak (and Brooke) is on the British sphere of influence so only Italy remain...the 'problem' is that this kind of deal can make people in London fear that between Rome and Paris there is a reapprochment and with the two nation allied (and with the addition of eveb their partial control of Tunisia) the Mediterrean can be closed or contested enough to be effectively cut off, in this manner severing an extremely vital lane of the British Empire; don't say that this will happen but that was a big no no for the UK at the time and can make people overreact.

Well in the last update we see that Charles Brooke is open to maintaining a cordial relation with France, so it's seem possible that Sarawak may reach an agreement with Paris for the concession of the free access at their ports. Obviously this kind of agreement can cause some resentment from London.
I think the dutch are not very happy to see another colonial nation in the area, so i don't consider possible any deal between France and the Netherlands (at least not in the immediate future).

How is immigration (or conversely emigration) in the kingdom. Aside from the Chinese and such I mean. While it won't be anything close to the U.S in this period it would make sense that a economically sound country, that is also (relatively) safe would attract investors who would also attract potential immigrants, though not directly, also if you add the fact that it is rule by 'one of their own', i.e. a European whose family rules through the kind of exploits of his uncle would add to an idea of grandeur and maybe an idea of a new starting place though most likely dimmed down due to the New France episode.

Ooh, French Pescadores! Looks like Formosa will become a powder keg in East Asia, considering the competing French, Japanese and Chinese interests there...

Japan would definitely consider the Tientsin Convention something of an affront, for sure. The idea that France could make it via the Pescadores changes everything about their policy for the island. If there is going to be an *Sino-Japanese War, their attempt for Formosa would be much more guarded with a French base being so close.

Great couple of updates! Now, what's happening in Korea...

By this point, there would have been a few attempted coup attempts by pro-Japanese forces at Seoul. Korea is still somewhat independent for the time being under Qing protection, though time is running out for the court and Queen Min.

Or with the Dutch. The French are late to the party in terms of getting territory of their own, but they might be able to buy rights in one or more other colonial ports.

Sarawak (and Brooke) is on the British sphere of influence so only Italy remain...the 'problem' is that this kind of deal can make people in London fear that between Rome and Paris there is a rapprochement […]

The Dutch East Indies would be France’s best bet. Their territory has adequate ports across multiple island chains, controls several important naval straits (Sunda and Makassar, to name a few) and – most importantly – is a relative Middle Power with a disinterest on Indochinese and East Asian affairs. So long as Batavia has no sights on the north, so long France shall see it as their best bet to buy docking rights.

With that said, the South China Sea is their closest route, so it wouldn’t be out of the question to send one or two emissaries to Sarawak or Italian Borneo (Brunei for the most part) to see if they could get port access there.

Of course, any sort of agreement on this is going to raise eyebrows in London, so such an affair will be met with caution from all of the established Powers.

Well in the last update we see that Charles Brooke is open to maintaining a cordial relation with France, so it's seem possible that Sarawak may reach an agreement with Paris for the concession of the free access at their ports. Obviously this kind of agreement can cause some resentment from London.

I think the dutch are not very happy to see another colonial nation in the area, so i don't consider possible any deal between France and the Netherlands (at least not in the immediate future).

Actually – and besides being Britain’s cadet Power on Borneo – Charles Brooke has experienced enough in gunboat diplomacy to know having a foreign navy docking close to home is generally a bad idea. Especially if your own navy is inadequate.

With that said, he is more open with French businesses buying raw goods from Kuching, so if Paris could angle that, he might be interested in giving or selling materials for the Navy. It would still be a tall order though, and he would view the offer with caution.

And for the Dutch, they are more disinterested than anything. France is more interested on Indochina and the Far East in general, so Batavia (and Amsterdam) wouldn’t have any conflicts of interest with Paris, at least for the short term. Being the guardian of several vitally important naval straits, the DEI may declare themselves neutral with open port access to any Power, just so they wouldn’t get dragged into any regional *or global* wars (Though they may impose a 24-hour access time limit to belligerent nations).

If France wanted a spare base, they might want to look (again) at Basilan.

Have I mentioned how much I love learning about new stuff here?

Interesting, but at this point Spain would have established at least naval supremacy around Basilan due to its proximity towards Jolo and would not accept any other Power take their island. From what I can gather, the local populace was pro-Spanish too so they would most likely resist if France tries to do anything dodgy in the region.

The French Navy may appeal to Manila to obtain wartime port access at Zamboanga, though. They would need a place to resupply before going off to the Sulu Sea.

How is immigration (or conversely emigration) in the kingdom. Aside from the Chinese and such I mean. While it won't be anything close to the U.S in this period it would make sense that a economically sound country, that is also (relatively) safe would attract investors who would also attract potential immigrants, though not directly […]

For immigration? lose to nil. While there were several European planters (British, mostly) that did own cash crop fields in Sarawak, there was very little to offer there for the immigrants of Europe and the Americas. Besides that, while Charles Brooke did make himself known widely as the White Rajah, he did very little incentivise temperate migration to Sarawak.

With that said, the country received an enormous amount of visitors throughout its lifetime, especially scientists, explorers, painters, and anthropologists. The diverse wildlife and rainforests had already attracted a few notable people beforehand – Alfred Russel Wallace among them – with several more coming in during the 1890’s. While temporary residents, they (will) exert a large influence in Sarawak due to them making the country known through their works and research.

mini-update: Leopold II

ZI1OFA0l.jpg

Laeken Palace, outside Brussels, Belgium. 21 February 1885

“Your Majesty, I have word that the British and German delegations are in Brussels.”

“Excellent. Inform me when the others have arrived.”

The aide responded accordingly and walked back to the door. The windows of the furnished room were closed from the evening downpour, but the flare of interior lights did not mask the smell of fresh moisture hanging in the air. But to Leopold, that was immaterial.

For quite some time, he has been thinking. Planning. The desk in front of him has certainly felt its share of notes and ink. Now, a large map lies unfurled upon the dark surface, its contents speaking of a passion that never truly went away from the monarch’s mind.

My own domain.

Leopold’s eyes wandered to the continent displayed on the paper. He gazed at its long rivers, large mountains, and the great desert which forms the northern half of the landmass. Then, his eyes turned to the colonies on the coast; settlements and trading ports propped up by the Great Powers of Europe – and a few middling ones too.

How many times has he looked at this image of the continent? How many times has he stood behind this worktable, tracing entire regions with his fingers on the paper? How much time has he spent, pouring over papers and drafting letters to various adventurers?

Too much.

But it was all worth it. The expeditions of the past years has filled the gaps in the map; Empty spaces signifying unknown regions have now been filled, showing vast river systems which snaked through the center of the continent. Leopold’s eye lingered on the region.

If Britain and France can get rich from their colonies, then why can’t I!?

For a moment, his mind wandered to his previous attempts, and he briefly recalled a past encounter: a letter to a family who proclaimed themselves as Rajahs.

If the Brookes can be the White Rajahs of Sarawak, then I shall be the White Rajah of the Congo.

The thought of it swelled up something within him. Pride?

Moving away, he reached for another paper on the upcoming conference in Brussels. Then, it happened.

It felt slight, as if there was some small jerk making itself felt in his brain. Then, his world turned sideways. Legs buckled. Limbs felt numb. Leopold’s hands grappled with whatever they could, catching papers and pens. The large map fluttered to the floor, the Congo Basin covering his horrified face.

I'm just saying that anything horrible happening to Leopold II deserves applause.
In other words, I'm giving you a hand instead of Leo being given ten million.

I am feeling amounts of schadenfreude which may be a bit too cruel. Looking forward to what Leopold's stroke does to his ambitions, I imagine that he will be far less ambitious IF he recovers.

I am feeling amounts of schadenfreude which may be a bit too cruel. Looking forward to what Leopold's stroke does to his ambitions, I imagine that he will be far less ambitious IF he recovers.

Probably, but while this will be extremely good for people in Congo as it's hardly to image something like or even worse than the Free State there is the great probability that the various colonial power will be very interested in the place and even if somekind of agreement in the end is found tension will rise

Firstly...

I'm just saying that anything horrible happening to Leopold II deserves applause.

In other words, I'm giving you a hand instead of Leo being given ten million.

*why hello there mistah*

You two owe me a new keyboard. XD

Who's to say he will recover from this event?

Probably, but while this will be extremely good for people in Congo as it's hardly to image something like or even worse than the Free State there is the great probability that the various colonial power will be very interested in the place and even if somekind of agreement in the end is found tension will rise

Yup. It's all now up in the air, really. With Leopold out of the picture, everyone's now eyeing the patch of land that was supposed to be his. The upcoming conference will be very interesting, in the Chinese sense.

Coming up will the Brussels Conference itself, and then a look into a raw resource that will fuel the colonial conflicts of the 1890's.