Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

Basically ITTL this compromise will be the textbook example of 'law of inentended consequences'

I think you mean "unintended consequences", but I got your gist.

Curious to see how the alliances will go now. Italy and France and Russia against Britain and the Ottomans? But that still leaves Germany and Austria and the o
beta tier Europan nations up in the air.

Hm...

Italy would have to get over the fact that France somewhat wants the same regions it also does, especially in regards to the Red Sea (now for the East Indies though...)

As for the alliance system, there is a chance for the Ottomans to be neutral and thinking "maybe we shouldn't get involved". And as long as Bismarck still lives, France would find itself devoid of allies whether she likes it or not. Russia and Italy, though... well, they do have a bone to pick with the Porte.

Epic pool party with all you can eat chicken wings and live band?

If only! :p

I think you mean "unintended consequences", but I got your gist.

Yeah...sorry:eek:

Italy would have to get over the fact that France somewhat wants the same regions it also does, especially in regards to the Red Sea (now for the East Indies though...)

Both side can agree about some sphere of influence as Tunisia was the real elephant in the room...and now Rome had some other target for her anger than only Paris

As for the alliance system, there is a chance for the Ottomans to be neutral and thinking "maybe we shouldn't get involved". And as long as Bismarck still lives, France would find itself devoid of allies whether she likes it or not. Russia and Italy, though... well, they do have a bone to pick with the Porte.

With a much different 'Schiaffo di Tunisi the diplomatic situation between France and Italy is in flux, both side had been 'wronged' and this make the rift between the two nation much more smaller than OTL and they remain great economic patner

International snippets: The "New France" Affair
International snippets: part 4/4

kameX4o.jpg

Robert Whitlam, The Farthest Colonies: New Guinea (Queensland Bowen Press; 1989)

Of all the European adventures that have played their hand in Southeast Asia, none were more insane or more delusional than the man known as the Marquis de Rays. This man harboured a dream, a fantasy, a delusion that sucked in over 500 people – and several European empires and allied states – into its grip, and over 100 to their deaths. When his dream imploded, what was left was not the verdant kingdom he so promised to all, but a heightened state of acrimony and distrust.

Born on 1832 as Charles du Breil, the Marquis de Rays was a man totally enraptured with the mystique and splendour of the French Second Empire. He had a sense of adventure and a dream for carving out his name in recorded history, and tried doing so many times during his youth. However, his endeavours to achieve this were far from successful; in fact the Marquis ended up nearly bankrupt after participating in several failed ventures in Africa, Indochina, and the United States throught the 1840’s and 1850’s. He never gave in, though, and after the defeat of his home nation in the Franco-Prussian War, de Rays vowed that he would, in his words, “…restore France her glory and dignity.

It was also during the 1870’s that he began reading the works of other adventurers, including the now famous figures of James Brooke and Stamford Raffles. To say that their actions aroused him was an understatement. He personally endeavoured to be as successful as the two men and began plans to create his own little kingdom, far from Europe, in which he would rule as absolute monarch over a content and supportive population. In 1877, de Rays put the plan in motion when he personally crowned himself in front of a few supporters as “Charles I, king of New France”.

There was only one problem: New France was an imaginary empire. Using whatever money he had left, de Rays published a journal, printed out advertisements, and established a donation drive for European residents to support a colonizing mission in the South Pacific. He bargained in secret for some “foreign land” from several French captains at Marseilles, whom in turn gained said land through trade with native chiefs from an island off the coast of New Guinea. Using this, de Rays aggrandized his claim to Eastern New Guinea and the surrounding archipelagos, stating that the islands had arable land and a balmy climate, perfect for colonization. Perfect for settlement.

7NGm70z.png

Map of the Marquis' "Kingdom of New France".

To our jaded eyes his plan sounded nothing more than a scam, but his idea caught fire with the European public of the late 1870’s, especially with the poor and working classes whom dreamed of a better life abroad. An organization was created to support his claim: La Société pour l'établissement de la Nouvelle-France (The Society for the Establishment of New France), and he soon garnered over 500,000 Francs through journal subscriptions and a cadre of sympathisers, as well as a slew of interested colonists.

However, the governments of France and Italy did saw his idea as a scam, and as such tried to stop his delusional plans from bearing fruit. Rome even went so far as to state that whoever would follow the Marquis would not be handed a passport to travel abroad. However, de Rays managed to evade both the French and Italian police and was able to direct would-be participants to congregate at Spain, where the government was neutral to his endeavour. In two separate fleets, around 531 men, women and children – mainly Italians from the Veneto region – departed from Barcelona on a three-month journey from mainland Europe to what is now Fredericksburg Island on March and June 1880.

Arriving to their destination, the colonists of the first fleet were shocked to discover their paradise of New France as being anything but. The climate was hot, the land heavily forested, and the town of Port Breton nothing more than a dilapidated pier. Things go from bad to worse when the ships transporting them quickly turned back after dumping their human passengers, leaving the colonists literally stranded on an island halfway across the world. With no mode of communication to warn other arriving settlers or to flag nearby ships, the stranded colonists had to make do with what they have. Tress were cut down, simple tents erected, and a deal was made to trade labour for food with the local tribes. Still, disease was rampant, morale was low, and fights often broke out amongst the settlers and the natives. When the second expedition arrived at Fredericksburg in September, around 113 colonists had already died.

JSI1BBq.jpg

Photograph of the surviving colonists at Port Breton, 1880.

It was the second expedition that finally turned things around. After witnessing the state of the colonists on Port Breton from afar, the passengers on the second fleet were able to overpower their ship captains and officers, taking control of the vessels that were meant to abandon them. After landing on the islands and discussing what happened with the surviving settlers, the remaining men and women decided to seek help: one ship would head to Sydney, Australia, while another would head to Italian New Guinea. Only one vessel would arrive at its intended destination. With inexpert men on the wheel, the vessel headed for Sydney went off course and landed at New Caledonia instead while the other ship went about in circles over the northern coast of New Guinea before finally being spotted by a frigate belonging to the Regia Marina.

Upon arrival, the Italian administration at Japen Island was shocked to hear the madness of the Marquis and quickly provided the starving colonists with aid. However, the governor of the colony, Ulisse Donati, spotted a potential silver lining in the crisis and tried persuading the settlers to settle on their side of New Guinea instead, providing incentives to work in the various timber and copra concessions and discussing potential arable land in the mountains of the Birds Head Peninsula. Although most of the colonists had enough of the tropics and headed for Australia, around 123 men and women did decide to take up the offer, becoming some of the first unexpected settlers to make their home on the prestige territory.

However, this news had one unexpected consequence. For years, the Australian colony of Queensland had looked on in apprehension at the colonial goings-on in New Guinea, scared that whatever nation establishes itself there would be a threat to the territory’s interests. When news of the Marquis’ expeditions broke out and that colonists were actually arriving to settle in New Guinea, the Primer of Queensland, Sir Thomas McIlwraith, thought it was the final straw. He ordered the Police Magistrate on nearby Thursday Island to proceed to Port Moresby and annex the southern half of the island “…in the name of the British Government”.

The events that happened next are enough to fill a separate book by itself, but it is suffice to say that London was shocked by Mcllwraith’s actions and quickly began countering back by stating that the Queensland colonial government had no authority to annex other colonies by itself. However, the damage was done. Rome, Amsterdam and Berlin all countered back by stating just which parts of New Guinea actually belonged to whom, and a war of words flooded the diplomatic circles from then on.

gvo4Oll.png

All in all, it took over two years of conferences, discussions, leadership changes and diplomatic wrangling across Europe, the East Indies and Australia before the fate of New Guinea was finally sealed. The island was to be divided into four separate colonies, each going to the colonial power that had established there first, with a portion going to the Dutch East Indies as a token for their long involvement in the region (though rumours persist of the British granting said portion to the Dutch for fear of giving Italy too much of the island). Southeastern New Guinea (where Port Moresby was) would be a British protectorate, but only once the Australian territories would pool their finances into supporting the endeavour, thus indirectly paving the way for the federation movement on the continent.

However, none of what happened could mask the undercurrent of distrust and apprehension flowing in the diplomatic channels. Although the Marquis de Rays was arrested at Brisbane in 1881, the governments of Europe had failed to stop him from carrying out his scheme, and the result was a state of heightened interest in an island once far removed from contemporary thought. The Kingdom of New France was a fanciful dream, but the pursuit of that dream created far-reaching effects that almost slipped through everyone’s fingers. Above all, there was no disguising the 113 dead men and women on Fredericksburg Island. It highlighted to the world the sheer power of individual adventurers, and – for good or for ill – their effects to inspire other like-minded men among their midst.

Besides that, the migration of the Venetian colonists also led Rome to think of an idea: to resettle the poor and working classes of Italy to the far colonies, tying them socially and culturally to the Italian peninsula…

Notes:

1) Believe it or not, there was an actual settler expedition to New Guinea headed by a man called the “Marquis de Rays” in 1880. ITTL, he managed to get even more people involved in his scheme. (he originally intended to make four separate settler expeditions to New Guinea)

2) The names of the colonial regions in Papua New Guinea are a bit anachronistic (Kaiser-Wilhelmsland wouldn’t be named as such until around 1888), but I decided to include them for the sake of naming the regions easier.

3) Fredericksburg Island = OTL New Ireland.

Last edited:
Wow... De Rays was cuckoo! Easily one of the dumbest and most tragic filibuster attempts of the 19th century and that's saying something. But hey, at least now after this tragedy Italy has developed a new colonial policy which may or may not backfire. I mean it doesn't look like Italy is getting prime real estate in North Africa anytime soon...

Also I am surprised by Italy being granted the Bird's Head Peninsula since it just seems to useful to the Dutch... But then again, not controlling it might make Biak, which undoubtedly is the center of Italian Papua, more volatile. Yet ultimately I have to say that that the four-way partition of New Guinea ITTL looks quite pleasing to the eye, simply through the virtue of it creating a "Four Corners" situation.

Wow... De Rays was cuckoo! Easily one of the dumbest and most tragic filibuster attempts of the 19th century and that's saying something. But hey, at least now after this tragedy Italy has developed a new colonial policy which may or may not backfire. I mean it doesn't look like Italy is getting prime real estate in North Africa anytime soon...

In the world of adventuring he really was among the bottom of the heap, though personally I would give the most cookoo of all king-entrepreneurs to the French mariner that controlled Easter Island around the same time. Now that's one person I'll be more than happy to butterfly away.

As for Italy, it might be a policy worth considering if it weren't for the fact that all it's biggest colonies lie in the malaria-filled tropics. It would take a truly desperate settler to consider moving to Sabah or Papua, and even then there must be very strong incentives for him (or her) to do so. Rome is considering it though, for better or worse.

Also I am surprised by Italy being granted the Bird's Head Peninsula since it just seems to useful to the Dutch... But then again, not controlling it might make Biak, which undoubtedly is the center of Italian Papua, more volatile. Yet ultimately I have to say that that the four-way partition of New Guinea ITTL looks quite pleasing to the eye, simply through the virtue of it creating a "Four Corners" situation.

Confession time: I actually gave the Birds Head Peninsula to Italy because it looked more pleasing aesthetically. :eek: But you do have a point there. The Italian commercial interests and the Regia Marina would want Emmanuel Bay to be protected against foreign forces, and that meant controlling all the lands along the shore, including the Peninsula. It would be easy for the Italian fleet to secure territories along the northern coast, especially if the Dutch were too busy with Aceh, the Flores region and Sulawesi.

You have to have an ATL Flashman excerpt here, Jonathan Edelstein style.

What, on the island or the timeline in general? :p

Sadly, my writing skills are a bit sub-par compared to him, and Flashman-style narrative aren't exactly my style. But I am considering making a narrative or two in the near-future, especially once the decade finally goes into full swing.

And thank you all for the 100,000 views!! This TL has gone pretty far from what I started, and I hope I'm able to continue the journey of Sarawak and the world around it for the foreseeable future. Thank you!! :D

Well, there are two things to consider:

1) This is Italy is somewhat more rich, with Cavour governing for more years, the industrialization will be more supported, the southern question handled a little better (not by much, is too complicated even for him, but at least he will do a better job of OTL prime ministers) and finally with no revolving door of weak goverment in the initial years many things (in the administrative sense) will be smoothed out meaning a better economic developement.
More importantly, with the Tunisia question resolved in this manner, things between France and Italy are not diplomatically bad as OTL (and even before, thxs to Cavour were somewhat better...but just a little) and if the commercial war of the 80's is averted, a big chunk of the italian emigration will not happen.
Finally, there is Dalmatia to initially send people

2) No prime real estate no, but a somewhat more stronger Italy will still try to get both Somalia and Eritrea and in this case probably will be more aggressive towards Abyssinia (big possibility to snatch the Tigris region) and Sudan (and this can bring problem with the UK).
Finally much depend if Germany have the same colonial politics of OTL if the Bismarck line prevail the colonial effort will not very supported and so Italy can grab some of her colonies

Well interesting for New Guinea. A four way partition, should make for interesting times when war comes between the holders.

And this Marquis makes James Brooke look better, the difference between the competent eccentric and the crazy. Though it did net Italy a start up for settling their colony.

I am guessing their New Guinea settlements will have some success, infrastructure seems to be getting going ad acceptable local relations. Sabah though I think will be a disaster for settlers.

And Australia's legendary invasion paranoia is intact ITTL I see.

Well, there are two things to consider:

Hmm... interesting. I many need to think about this more. On the whole though, I have a very different plan for Ethiopia and the Somali regions. Bismarck may not have much love for colonies, but some of the German companies sure do!

On the commercial war, though... I might need to do some research on that.

Finally, there is Dalmatia to initially send people

I...kinda forgotten about that. :eek: Yes, that would be the first place to send Italian settlers should Rome decided on the policy.

More great stuff here.:)

Oh, but wait! There's gonna be more soon...

Well interesting for New Guinea. A four way partition, should make for interesting times when war comes between the holders.

And this Marquis makes James Brooke look better, the difference between the competent eccentric and the crazy. Though it did net Italy a start up for settling their colony.

In the world of adventuring, competence and crazy often rests on a fine line. Unlike the Brookes or Stamford Raffles, de Rays appealed to the wider public in his plan and didn't care much for the consequences, whereas James and Raffles knew very well how much work it'd take to run a port (or a kingdom). The Italian authorities nabbing the settlers was a lucky thing, but most of those who chose to stay on Papua are lured by the high incentives the colonial government offered to them and frankly had enough of fending for themselves. Now it's up to Rome to follow through the promises.

As for New Guinea, lets just say things are going to get a whole lot weirder ITTL. ;)

I am guessing their New Guinea settlements will have some success, infrastructure seems to be getting going ad acceptable local relations. Sabah though I think will be a disaster for settlers.

And Australia's legendary invasion paranoia is intact ITTL I see.

Bear in mind that the pact of "labour for food" with the natives was done out of sheer necessity and not for high ideals, and the ones who did so might not have the same views once they have been rescued. Sabah is going to be an entirely different story altogether.

And yes, nothing's going to change Australia much at this time, even ITTL. :p

Depending on future wars, Papua may have a very different future compared with OTL.

Oh yes, the inclusion of four different colonial powers has already changed the island's future. New Guinea as a whole might find itself walking down some unexpected paths ITTL.

An excellent update. As noted above, Australia's paranoia remains as strong as ever- I'm curious if there'll be more of a push for migrants if the north is perceived as being under even more threat.

Pity the four-way division probably won't last long enough for the exact location of the four corners spot to be determined and a plaque installed tourists can snap pictures of each other standing on. :)

An excellent update. As noted above, Australia's paranoia remains as strong as ever- I'm curious if there'll be more of a push for migrants if the north is perceived as being under even more threat.

There might be, or maybe not. With New Guinea being a tropical island, it would take a lot to convince immigrants to settle there and establish any sort of significant presence whatsoever (besides, Italy has Dalmatia ITTL to settle would-be immigrants if they want to first). On the other hand, the perception of Australia's politicians might not mesh with the actual reality, and a more divisive New Guinea might spur Queensland to provide greater incentives for outside immigration.

Pity the four-way division probably won't last long enough for the exact location of the four corners spot to be determined and a plaque installed tourists can snap pictures of each other standing on. :)

Considering the quadripoint spot lies in the high central mountains of the island, it would take a very hardy tourist to even reach there in the first place. :p

Borneo by the end of the week, though maybe not Sarawak just yet. There's still one last sultanate facing the abyss...

Last edited:
And just as I thought I could bring this TL up to speed every week, a new curveball throws itself at me.

From tomorrow until the end of July, I will be away due to attending my sister's graduation from university at Europe. I might be popping in from time to time over here, but I won't be making any new updates to this TL until August at the very least.

Sorry everyone!!

1877 - 1883: Brunei
Hello...? Anyone here?

mk3hwVC.jpg

Muhammad Amirul Idzwan, Brunei: Rise and Fall of the Bornean Empire (Delima Publishing: 2001)

The death of Sultan Abdul Mo'mein unleashed dire questions over the future of Brunei, and his successor had to answer them fast. For all his faults, the sultan was at least respected and shrewd enough that not even the Brookes were able to take full control of the Bornean Empire during his lifetime. With his death went that ability, and the once-great Bornean Empire became perched on the edge of the proverbial abyss.

By 1881, the sultanate was not just dysfunctional, it was near-totally broken. International trade had become non-existent for Brunei and administrative order only extended as far as the capital itself. Many outsiders to the region noted how deplorable Bandar Brunei looked, with one observer remarking that the sultanate "...was as opposite to the fabled city of wonders described by the Portuguese and Spanish conquistadores ... as it could be."

The changing nature of oceanic trade had always been the empire's achilles heel, and the decades that passed since the birth of the Industrial Revolution was not kind to the polity. New empires sought new resources, as well as the means to extract and transport them. Brunei tried to piggyback on the changing times, but a fractious court coupled with inexperience in modern trading and outside circumstances thwarted their efforts to modernize time and again. By 1880, the transfer was complete: British Singapore had grown to become the "Pearl of the Orient" whilst Kuching became the new centre for trading on Bornean goods.

This had dire consequences for the Bruneian court. As a maritime power, Brunei depended on income through international trade to grow and prosper, and more so than local taxation. Without trade revenues, there wouldn't be enough money to handle everyday affairs or finance river expeditions, let alone employ the local Sea Peoples - the Bajau and Orang Laut - to police the nearby waters. With loss of trade came loss of control as the coastal towns and interior regions began paying less and less taxes due to declining law and order. This fed a vicious cycle in which less and less revenue entered the state coffers, leading to a more slipshod administration and lesser control over the empire, which in turn generated lesser revenues as a result.

However, it was the actions of the Brookes that truly upended Brunei's fortunes. Besdies territorial expansion, the White Rajahs and their Kingdom of Sarawak provided new and modern facilities that catered to both local and international traders, as well as providing protection by purging the island's rivers and bays of marauders and warring Dayaks. In the safety of Sarawak, business flourished with local producers and international companies selling everything from artisnal goods to black pepper to gutta-percha. The continuous arrival of Chinese emigrants and the mining monopoly of the Borneo Company Limited ensured a steady supply of raw exports and commodities while the administration's policy of punitive expeditions extended Sarawakian influence deeper and deeper into Bruneian territory.

By the turn of the decade, the Brookes' contol over the former lands of Brunei was at their highest yet; Sarawak now had nearly all the mines, timber, and sago plantations on which Brunei could have used to generate hard currency. The sultanate's finances had also become entwined with that of their neighbour as Sarawak's monthly territory compensations became a lifeline for Bandar Brunei to sustain itself. The rise of the adventurer-state had also provided an alternate path for the more serious-minded administrators and nobles to move over the border to work in the more fulfilling (and more lucrative) Sarawak civil service, creating a slow but steady "brain drain" that further deprived the sultanate of learned men.

With trade falling and resources dwindling, it was a wonder that Brunei even made it to the 1880's at all. That it had survived into the next decade was a combination of skill, diplomacy, and sheer luck on part of the rulers. However, by 1882 everyone knew the game was up. It was an open secret that Charles Brooke aimed to completely annex the empire, and with Abdul Mo'mein's death a significant obstacle to his designs was removed. Now, it wasn't a question of whether Brunei would fall, but rather when...

ui3ZPjx.jpg

Charlie MacDonald, Strange States and Bizzare Borders, (weirdworld.postr.com, 2014)

...If you saw your Empire collapsing right in front of you for the past forty-or-so years; see everything that your forefathers have built for be taken away by your neighbour; watch your reigning sultan - your own brother - be humiliated time and again on the international stage, and then see him die just ten days after signing yet another annexation deal ...wouldn't you get a little unhinged?

If so, then congratulations: You are Hashim Jalilul Alam Aqamaddin, brother of Abdul Mo'mein and - after his death - the 26th sultan of the Bruneian Empire. Or, what was left of it.

Upon ascencion, Hashim had to swallow the bitter truth: The Bruneian Empire is all but over. The only thing left now is to save what was left of it. It was a decision that stung with him to his dying day; his brother, the former sultan, had declared an 'Amanat' before his death; basically, everyone in the Bruneian court agreed that the sultanate "should never leave this eath, not for anything", but Hashim knew that the polity is not strong enough to enforce that promise. For Brunei to even survive, it needed a protector. A powerful protector.

But who? The British? Yeah right, when hell freezes over! After their collusion with the Brookes over Sarawak and elsewhere, the sultan wasn't having any of that! And besides, what are the chances the British might even try to protect Brunei, even if it's a protectorate? Besides that, the thought of asking a Power that is (seemingly) complicit in your destruction for protection is... iffy. So, nope! Not happening!!

Alright, so the Dutch then? Nope, not after he heard what was going on in Aceh! Besides, the other sultanates of Borneo - the ones that chose Dutch protection - didn't seem to benefit much from being protected by their new masters. Sure, they kept their crowns, but they were also forced to accept certain economic policies like allowing large tracts of land to be sold for cash crop plantations. For a fallen trading empire, that didn't well with the royal court.

Well, there was always the Ottoman Empire, the supreme protector of Muslims around the globe! Except... they already tried that. They already sent a letter to the Sublime Porte for help, and no reply came. Considering their recent history, it wasn't long before the sultan suspected that his mail might be watched. Hashim wanted to send a Johore-style delegation straight to Kostantiniyye to state his case, but he didn't have enough cash and was kinda wary of borrowing money from others, especially after Brunei recently got itself near-bankrupted because of it. So, no Ottoman relief.

That left the other second-rate "newbie" Powers and Western nations to think about. So, France? Maybe... but then there's the goings-on in Indochina to consider. Germany? Promising, but they're untested; no one knew just how powerful they really were. The United States? Possible... but then the sultan remembered the Vinston "Yankee Rajah" debacle and swiftly crossed that out. Portugal and/or Spain? NOPE. Too much bad history!

Funnily enough, one empire did try to extend an offer to the shambling sultanate: Austria-Hungary. Nope, I am not joking! The Austro-Hungarian Consul to Singapore sent a letter to Brunei that August with a proposal to start a joint business venture in the region (Consuls at this time were supposed to make their own pay). Considering what happened with the last joint venture aka. the Yankee Rajah Affair, Brunei quickly said no.

That only left... yeah. That Power.

On one hand, they do have colonies to their name, and one of them was even close by. On the other, no one really knows how will they treat Brunei. Then again, having that Power protecting them would have an amusing twist; it was one of the few Western nations Sarawak absolutely hates. Having them protecting Brunei would be the greatest insult the Bruneian court could give to the White Rajahs; Charles Brooke could never annex the capital again. It would also partly fulfill the Amanat; Brunei would never vanish from the world.

In truth, Brunei had a lot of options to choose from, so it might have been sheer luck that they selected that colonial power and not say, Germany or Austria. But nevertheless, after a month of discussions the royal palace sent a small emissary group to Sandakan to test the waters for an agreement. Two weeks later, they went back with good news: their respondents were receptive. On the 3rd of July 1883, a frigate and several gunboats sailed into Brunei Bay in the dead of night. By midday, the sultanate became a protectorate of the Italian East Indies.

kstG200.jpg

"Tak'kan Brunei hilang dari dunia."
Never shall Brunei disappear from the Earth.

Last edited:
What an excellent way to pull it off. Thank you for giving us another very well written chapter.

Last edited: