Nuclear Armed Taiwan

Taking all of this together, there is only one ally which Taiwan can look to, and that is ROK. Now, given Parks disdain for Chiang, things might be rough, but I find it possible for a working relation to be formed with bombs being made by 1975.

alright, you've convinced me.

Taiwan get's designs and basic enrichment tech, and trades to South Korea for some real bombs........

Sumeragi

Banned
I'll listen to other members' opinions before going into deeper research for this (never mind I'll be getting pretty busy in RL also...).

I guess it's apt... it fulfills the same role as a horse. But why not the Tian Xiongmao? :p Or, seriously speaking, just to mock the mainland, the Hexie Shehui-Class IRBM.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

but seriously, that is unnecessary aggravation!!!!
but I doubt china would invade over a missile name...hahahahaha

Sumeragi

Banned
with both nuclear armed south korea and taiwan.....

Assuming we have the nuclear test in 1975~6 (with only Taiwan declaring itself as a power, since ROK was negotiating some nuclear technology transfer), we'll be seeing Mao right before this death looking at what would seem to him to be a conspiracy by the US of invading PRC. Since he is probably going to die around the time he did in OTL, we might have Deng be shut out from power as the hardliners gain power using fear of ROC as a weapon. Basically, the market liberalization might be pushed back decades or perhaps indefinitely, turning the PRC into something akin to Burma.

This wouldn't be a pretty world. Leaving out PRC, the USSR is probably going to be more aggressive towards the ROK/ROC alliances, while the US would most likely be angry with both of its East Asian leaders.

Assuming we have the nuclear test in 1975~6 (with only Taiwan declaring itself as a power, since ROK was negotiating some nuclear technology transfer), we'll be seeing Mao right before this death looking at what would seem to him to be a conspiracy by the US of invading PRC. Since he is probably going to die around the time he did in OTL, we might have Deng be shut out from power as the hardliners gain power using fear of ROC as a weapon. Basically, the market liberalization might be pushed back decades or perhaps indefinitely, turning the PRC into something akin to Burma.

This wouldn't be a pretty world. Leaving out PRC, the USSR is probably going to be more aggressive towards the ROK/ROC alliances, while the US would most likely be angry with both of its East Asian leaders.

I'm assuming 1977-8.......
so deng still comes to power....but he'll need to be more hardline.

Does Deng Xiaoping shifting to become more politically hardline butterfly his domestic socio-economic stance - that stance which led China to open up? I have the impression (not backed up with research yet, mind) that he adopted a nonconfrontational foreign policy.

I once read a technothriller where the premise was that the Taiwanese had started a secret nuclear research facility on Kerguelen in order to obtain a nuclear deterrent (this was written in the 90s and set in something like 2002...those books quickly ended up unintentional AH due to the lack of 9/11).

Is this book 'Kilo Class', by Patrick Robinson? I remember reading it way back.

Does Deng Xiaoping shifting to become more politically hardline butterfly his domestic socio-economic stance - that stance which led China to open up? I have the impression (not backed up with research yet, mind) that he adopted a nonconfrontational foreign policy.

problem is the hardliners who are bound to crop up over Taiwan's nuke.period.

problem is the hardliners who are bound to crop up over Taiwan's nuke.period.
China doesn't quite work that way, especially with so little time (in 1975 Mao only has one year left) for the post-Mao situation to be changed. The thing is that by that time, all across China everybody knew that more Maoist policies would endanger not only the populace but also the continuing authority of the party itself. It was imperative to enact some sort of reform after Mao's death, and by 1975 it was clear he was near it.

China doesn't quite work that way, especially with so little time (in 1975 Mao only has one year left) for the post-Mao situation to be changed. The thing is that by that time, all across China everybody knew that more Maoist policies would endanger not only the populace but also the continuing authority of the party itself. It was imperative to enact some sort of reform after Mao's death, and by 1975 it was clear he was near it.

but TAIWAN JUST GOT NUKES!!!!!

I once read a technothriller where the premise was that the Taiwanese had started a secret nuclear research facility on Kerguelen in order to obtain a nuclear deterrent (this was written in the 90s and set in something like 2002...those books quickly ended up unintentional AH due to the lack of 9/11).

Patrick Robinson's 'Kilo Class'