NFL what ifs

Forgot-the Colts played the Packers in 1965 at GreenBay when Don Chandler kicked a "field goal" that many people swear was wide.WI the Colts with Tom Matte won the game and went to the Championship game.Where goes the NFL hence?BTW I think the game for the championship was with the Cowboys.

Xen

Banned
edvader said:
err-people.The pre1984 history with memorabilia of Baltimore Colts was returned to Baltimore.Also Paul Tagliabooboo-intentional did everything to keep Baltimore from getting a team.Alright-WI the name and colors returns to Baltimore and the team stays in Indianapolis?What about the name?Name them after Irsay-The Fighting Boozehounds! I don't think the AFL would fall apart after SuperBowl 3 and Colt's victory as the merger was done before that!

When did that happen? According to the Ravens history, the franchise began in 1996, so the pre-1984 history is still in Indy. Which means Johnny Unitas is considered a Colt not a Raven, though he would have disputed that, after the move he hated the Colts for the way they did Baltimore. Its one thing to move a beloved franchise, like Art Moddell did with the Browns, but to do so in middle of the night, and not give the city or its fans any warning, thats lower than low. Irsay is possibly the worst human being to own a sports franchise in American history, if not the worst, hes certainly in that company.

I thought about what you suggested to. What if after 1995, when the former Browns leaves Cleveland for Baltimore, a deal is worked out between Irsay and Modell, that allows the name, colors and pre-1984 history of the Colts to go with him to Baltimore, while the history of the Colts from 1984 forward stays with Indianapolis, and they create a new name, perhaps something like the Renegades or something really cheezy like the Bulldogs or Americans.

What if the XFL, with its fine-ass cheerleaders, survived long enough to merge its eight teams or so with the NFL?

OK-Xen:what happened about the history, etc pre 1984 was that the city got back the memorabilia from the pre Indy era only!The marching band the Irsays couldn't take as I believe it was volunteers and not officially connected to the team.When the Ravens started a few years later the team was disbanded and changed to marching Ravens.

You forgot about the owner of the Arizona Cardinals.That team has not had a winning season in at least 10 or more years.They are building an inclosed stadium for the losers to play with luxury boxes for the suckers-er fans!

Some More What-ifs

1. Houston beats Buffalo instead of blowing a 32-point lead in 1993--Houston beats Pittsburgh, but lose to Miami in the title game (and still moves as per OTL). Miami, in turn, loses to Dallas in the Super Bowl, though with Marino it's not a blowout.

2. The Dolphins don't have as many turnovers against the Patriots in the 1986 AFC championship game--The Dolphins beat the Patriots (the Dolphins were the only team to beat the Bears in the 1985 season), but lose as Chicago takes its revenge for losing to Miami (IMO, no one could beat Chicago that year in the Super Bowl).

3. The Pittsburgh Steelers don't release Johnny Unitas before the 1955 season--Like Dan Marino, Unitas was from Pittsburgh, but played for another team. The Steelers probably win a couple of NFL championships and still win the Super Bowls in the 1970s. Baltimore fans aren't as angry about the Colts leaving as they were OTL.

4. Denver beats Jacksonville in the AFC divisional playoff in 1996--Denver advances to the AFC title game and beats New England. However, they lose Super Bowl XXXI to the Green Bay Packers (the Packers were the better team, IMO) in one of the better Super Bowl contests. They get their revenge the next year when they beat the Packers.

5. Minnesota kicker Gary Anderson doesn't miss a field goal in the NFC title game in 1998--The Vikings win the NFC title game and go on to face Denver. It is a high scoring game (both teams have good offense) and the Vikings finally win their first Super Bowl.

Try this on for size...

The final seconds of Super Bowl 36. The Patriots line up for a field goal attempt against the Rams, and the Rams line up to block it. The ball is snapped to New England center Damien Woody, and it looks like your typical field goal attempt-- until Woody suddenly springs to his feet and lobs a short pass to tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who darts into the St. Louis end zone for a TD that gives New England a 24-17 victory and makes Woody the unlikely MVP of the game.

HelloLegend

Banned
WI Arizona Cardinals opened 2006 with 4 undefeated wins?

Then HelloLegend would be da bandwagon.

Last edited:
Lamonica

If the Bills had won the AFL champoinship that year (they lost 31-7), they'd've faced the Packers in SBI. The Bills stacked-up much better against the Packers: KC was the AFL's best offensive team (about 90 more points scored than Buffalo), but Buffalo's defense was head and shoulders above KC's.

Superbowl I: When Jack Kemp gets injured in the first quarter, his backup, Darryl Lamonica, comes in to lead the Bills to victory with his fourth-quarter bomb to Elbert Dubenion.

If that would have happened, Lamonica doesn't get traded to the Faders the next year, and maybe the Willie Brown trade gets butterflied away that year as well. Then, Willie goes into the HOF as a Bronco, if he goes in at all(since the HOF voters are so anti-Denver).

Here are some more:

1. Houston beats Buffalo instead of blowing a 32-point lead in 1993--Houston beats Pittsburgh, but lose to Miami in the title game (and still moves as per OTL). Miami, in turn, loses to Dallas in the Super Bowl, though with Marino it's not a blowout.

I think that Houston would have went all the way if they didn't lose to Buffalo. They could have beat Dallas that year. Then, the Oilers go back the next year, and Dallas beats them this time. However, the Oilers end up staying in Houston, they don't break up the team, and Moon retires as an Oiler.

2. The Dolphins don't have as many turnovers against the Patriots in the 1986 AFC championship game--The Dolphins beat the Patriots (the Dolphins were the only team to beat the Bears in the 1985 season), but lose as Chicago takes its revenge for losing to Miami (IMO, no one could beat Chicago that year in the Super Bowl).

That loss by Miami wasn't an upset. The Fins deficiencies(running game, defense) caught up with them that day.

3. The Pittsburgh Steelers don't release Johnny Unitas before the 1955 season--Like Dan Marino, Unitas was from Pittsburgh, but played for another team. The Steelers probably win a couple of NFL championships and still win the Super Bowls in the 1970s. Baltimore fans aren't as angry about the Colts leaving as they were OTL.

I agree about the Steelers possibly winning championships in the 50's, but they probably don't have the dynasty that they had in the 70's.

4. Denver beats Jacksonville in the AFC divisional playoff in 1996--Denver advances to the AFC title game and beats New England. However, they lose Super Bowl XXXI to the Green Bay Packers (the Packers were the better team, IMO) in one of the better Super Bowl contests. They get their revenge the next year when they beat the Packers.

If Denver would have lost to the Pack in 96, I think it would have been a close loss. Then, Elway and the Broncos come back with resolve, and beat the Pack in SD in 97.

5. Minnesota kicker Gary Anderson doesn't miss a field goal in the NFC title game in 1998--The Vikings win the NFC title game and go on to face Denver. It is a high scoring game (both teams have good offense) and the Vikings finally win their first Super Bowl.

This is a continuation of the previous question. If Minny wins and goes to the SB in 98, the Broncos win because they would have pounded the rock against an average Minnesota D. TD wins his second straight MVP, and, because Elway lost two years previous, he comes back in 99, and the Broncos win again over the Rams. He then retires, and gets inducted into the Hall in 05 with Marino, Steve Young, and Barry Sanders. It is considered the best HOF class of all-time. Meanwhile, it butterflies away TD's 99 injury, he goes on to play until 04 or 05, amasses 12,000 career yards, and is a HOF lock in 09 or 10.

Last edited:
T. Davis

You cannot simply butterfly away TDs injuries. His body just couldn't take it. He was an average back with a great line. You put Barry Sanders behind that line and he would have averaged 75 yards a carry. That's right. I said "carry".

TD

You cannot simply butterfly away TDs injuries. His body just couldn't take it. He was an average back with a great line. You put Barry Sanders behind that line and he would have averaged 75 yards a carry. That's right. I said "carry".

I agree, although he wasn't just an average back. I considered him, like Emmitt Smith, to be a good back that benefitted from a great line, or a step down from the Bo Jacksons and Paytons and Sanders of the world. I also agree about Sanders. He would have been dynamite on our team.

But, I don't agree that Davis gets hurt when he did. That was a freak injury against the Jets. With Elway still there, Davis has another 1,500 yard season in 99. Then, in 00, after Elway retires, Terrell gets hurt but it isn't as serious. Shanny notices the tread is starting to get thin, so he drafts Deuce McAlister or LaMont Jordan in the first round of the 01 Draft to help TD. Then, he is allowed to recover faster, play more games, get over 11,000 career yards, retire by 03 or 04, and be a HOFer for sure.

-The Chiefs don't fire Marv Levy following the 1982 season and they draft Jim Kelly instead of Todd Blackledge

-Derrick Thomas sacks Dave Krieg for his eigth sack of the game on the last play of the game against Seattle.

-The Browns win the 1986, 1987 and 1989 AFC Championship games

-The 49ers win the 1970 and 1971 NFC Championship games.

-Dallas Cowboys don't pass on drafting Randy Moss

-Arizona and Indianapolis get expansion teams

-The Chiefs don't fire Marv Levy following the 1982 season and they draft Jim Kelly instead of Todd Blackledge.

Or, after having him in for a pre-draft workout, they are impressed with Dan Marino's competitive fire instead of being turned off by the way he berates receivers(that actually happened). They know they can get him later because of the drug rumors. Buffalo wants Kelly, and the Chiefs make a deal. They trade their pick in the top-10 for Buffalo's first rounders(picks 12 and 13 in the 83 Draft). KC takes Marino and TE Tony Hunter. Dan ends up leading KC to 2 SB appearances in the mid-late 80's, and him and Elway have a great rivalry in the AFC West. The two duels a year between the two become legendary.

-The Browns win the 1986, 1987 and 1989 AFC Championship games

Yeah, right. No way that would have happened. They shouldn't have even been in the playoffs in 89. The Browns should have went 6-10 that year. They might have had a better chance going in 80, if it wasn't for Red Right 88, or 1985, when they blew a 21-3 lead in Miami. If they hold that lead, they would have had the Patriots in Cleveland for the Championship the next week, and could have won. They would have been destroyed by Chicago, however.

Last edited:
I agree on most of your points about the Browns, except 86 and 87. Take away Byner's goal line fumble and Elways "Drive"(where he converted two fourth downs) and things look a little different (still get handled by the Giants and Redskins)

I think if the NFL had expanded right after the Raiders left for LA (which really wasn't that bad of a move) a lot of other movements don't happen. Place expansion in Phoenix and Indianapolis and that hamstrings the Cardinals and Colts (both needed new stadiums, but hijacking fans isn't ideal)

Two player PODs

1. Greg Cook doesn't get hurt during his spectacular rookie season and plays fourteen years for the Bengals.

2. Joe Roth doesn't die of malignant melanoma before the 1977 season and plays 12 years in the NFL.