NASA goes ahead with super-heavy Nova rockets: Impact on Space Commercialization?

Thanks e of pi and RanulfC

I overlook the needed Static test stand, also the point that launch pad must be configured for different Module. Either several Pads for different Version.

Interesting is that Early NOVA were also took modular approach, with Solids or F-1 Module as First stage
Special General Dynamics under Kraft Ehricke and NASA in 1959

Boeing had this idea: seven large Solids and large Hydrolox stage on top, the entire rocket would be assembly in gigantic overground Concrete Silo and launch out of it
the repair cost on silo after each launch would be gigantic...

First lets “assume” a PoD of the “Juno-V” instead of just being ‘make-work’ to keep Von Braun’s team together actually has a bit more initial support in the development of an ‘off-the-shelf’ modular rocket cluster. (In other words they go with the initial concept of actually using Redstone and/or Jupiter stages and strapping them together) In testing the initial Redstone clusters of two, three and then four Redstones they find an effective means of making a modular “hex” beam and thrust structure system which translates over to later clustered Jupiter tests up to seven “modules” (six-around-one) which is tested and then launched with an ‘upper-stage’ of a quad-Redstone “tanks” and gimbled quad Jupiter engines. The Redstone tankage is dropped in favor of (initially) a single Centaur duel-engine stage which is itself replaced by a new-build single J2 powered hyrdrolox module stage.

Another possibility is if the USAF makes the F-1 available during the Saturn I development process.

Or maybe, the Convair Nova is chosen because it can share development costs with a Saturn I replacement that will allow NASA to test the F-1 engine on a real launch before they need to launch moon shots.

When you say they develop a modular "hex" beam - what do you mean by that?

Also, for the modularity concept to really work, you'd also need modular plumbing. More likely, each stage would be treated as a distinct thing, but all the shared components would help drive shared costs down.

This is all before the mode or actual configuration is chosen. However certain operational issues must be addressed. Since the Nova can be configured in five or more module clusters at least part of the roof at Michoud must be raised and since the maximum possible configuration diameter is around 14.9m in the final assembly hall is raised to 15m. Construction of pads to handle the various configurations of the Nova launch vehicle are begun at Cape Canaveral but questions remain if they could handle a full-up launch of the biggest Nova design.

Hm. They're raising the roof to accommodate the 7 module Nova, right? Can Michoud accommodate 4 and 6 module Novas without modification?

I'll be honest, I would expect them to go with a slimmer module if the roof at Michoud was an issue. Either that or accept that the larger Novas wouldn't ever be made.

Propellant feed lines, avionics, vernier engines, and more would be shared at the stage level, not the modular level.

Hm. Do the modules have to have propellant cross-feeding? I know it would make the rocket more fuel efficient if it were, but it would make it much simpler and more modular if there was no cross-plumbing.

fasquardon

Hm. They're raising the roof to accommodate the 7 module Nova, right? Can Michoud accommodate 4 and 6 module Novas without modification?
Four 4.9m modules can, barely. Six and seven module have the same assembled diameter (roughly 13.5 meters), given the way circles close-pack. Accommodating either requires a new assembly bay with a higher roof.

I'll be honest, I would expect them to go with a slimmer module if the roof at Michoud was an issue. Either that or accept that the larger Novas wouldn't ever be made.
Going narrow enough to fit into Michoud without a higher bay means pushing to increasingly aggressive aspect ratios for the individual modules--you need to go to about a 4m tank instead of a 4.9m tank, which translates to a tank aspect ratio of about 10 instead of 6. Accepting not building a 6 or 7 module Nova while sticking to a 4.9m diameter defeats the purpose, since a 4-module Nova can't reach the historical Saturn V performance. Just...build a higher bay at Michoud. You only need a one or two build stands in the bay, and the bay is a relatively small one by Apollo infrastructure standards.

Hm. Do the modules have to have propellant cross-feeding? I know it would make the rocket more fuel efficient if it were, but it would make it much simpler and more modular if there was no cross-plumbing.
If you can't feed any engine off every tank, then you end up with serious mass distribution problems if an engine fails during flight--the tank can't be drained, either dramatically increasing residual mass (if it's a center tank) or that and also throwing the center of mass off the axis (if it's any tank in a 4 or 6-tank cluster or any tank but the center in a 7-tank cluster). The easiest approach to solving this in my opinion is to have all the plumbing between engine inlet and tank drain line combined as part of the stage-level integration, as with adding vernier engines and instrument units. The tanks just include the dead-end fill/drain lines for the two tanks and the engine inlet, and everything in between is fitted as part of stage integration (as with Saturn I, IIRC).

Fasquadron wrote:
Another possibility is if the USAF makes the F-1 available during the Saturn I development process.

What? Let those heathen “Army” sub-humans touch a sacred Air Force project/program/proposal? Besides “We” (the Royal ‘we’ mind you) have already come up with a vastly superior launch vehicle. We will ‘simply’ (it has to be simple since the Army pukes came up with it first) cluster a bunch of Titan, (shut up we know Titan hasn’t flown yet, but it’s an Air Force missile of course it will work just fine, the first time, every time just look at our hist... er, well just trust us) stages and attach a couple of OUR F1’s to the bottom and have a better launcher than anything those ‘people’ could even dream of!

Seriously, I fully expect a ‘sooner’ push for moving around the needed technology but they won’t be using the F1 on the “Super-Jupiter” because it and the tankage system are going to be designed from scratch as a unit. (Yes they’ll have to put extra effort into solving the combustion instability issues but given the ‘priority’ I don’t see that as an issue)

Or maybe, the Convair Nova is chosen because it can share development costs with a Saturn I replacement that will allow NASA to test the F-1 engine on a real launch before they need to launch moon shots.

In fact that’s why I have them moving directly from “Super-Jupiter” (it never gets named Saturn) to the Nova 1-1 configuration as soon as possible because it is going to fill the original role of the OTL Saturn-1/1B in launching various test and prototype mission such as the Pegasus Satellites and boilerplate test modules.

When you say they develop a modular "hex" beam - what do you mean by that?

Something ‘catchy’ to describe the interconnect and structural assembly that ties the ‘upper’ part of the stage together the same way the thrust structure and plumbing ties the aft together. It’s not actually a single ‘beam’ or structure but since the maximum number of modules we are going to string together is seven or six around one calling it a ‘hex’ sounds right. These are the kinds of design decisions that are going to drive the detailed design and functionality of the modules.

(Yes seven {7} is going to be the maximum number of clustered modules due to operational and transport constraints. And at that I should point out every time you launch one of them they WILL do significant damage to the launch pad and associated equipment. The Saturn-V did more damage than originally anticipated and we can be pretty sure with significantly more thermal and acoustic stress the Nova 7-7-1 is going to do more)

Also, for the modularity concept to really work, you'd also need modular plumbing. More likely, each stage would be treated as a distinct thing, but all the shared components would help drive shared costs down.

Each stage is treated as a distinct unit, likewise certain ‘standardized’ configuration ‘clusters’ (1-1, 3-1, 4-3, etc all the way up to 7-7 for examples) will be treated more as “units” than individual modules but the fact they ARE modules means the reconfiguration will be designed in from the beginning.

And yet another reason why they chose Saturn-V OTL over the Nova designs. But here we assume they are willing to put out a bit more money upfront with the justification that the modular nature will lower costs down the road.

Randy

Four 4.9m modules can, barely. Six and seven module have the same assembled diameter (roughly 13.5 meters), given the way circles close-pack. Accommodating either requires a new assembly bay with a higher roof.

Yup which is why 14 or 15 is a good number, though a major point of the the initial program was NOT to spend money raising the roof so they could use existing facilities I can see an argument to do so once they decides on Nova.

Going narrow enough to fit into Michoud without a higher bay means pushing to increasingly aggressive aspect ratios for the individual modules--you need to go to about a 4m tank instead of a 4.9m tank, which translates to a tank aspect ratio of about 10 instead of 6. Accepting not building a 6 or 7 module Nova while sticking to a 4.9m diameter defeats the purpose, since a 4-module Nova can't reach the historical Saturn V performance. Just...build a higher bay at Michoud. You only need a one or two build stands in the bay, and the bay is a relatively small one by Apollo infrastructure standards.

Ya, going 'narrow' brings up a lot of problems ESPECIALLY with the 'modular' approach. All the arguments that sold the 'mono-tank' design are more supported the more you don't go with raising the roof.

If you can't feed any engine off every tank, then you end up with serious mass distribution problems if an engine fails during flight--the tank can't be drained, either dramatically increasing residual mass (if it's a center tank) or that and also throwing the center of mass off the axis (if it's any tank in a 4 or 6-tank cluster or any tank but the center in a 7-tank cluster). The easiest approach to solving this in my opinion is to have all the plumbing between engine inlet and tank drain line combined as part of the stage-level integration, as with adding vernier engines and instrument units. The tanks just include the dead-end fill/drain lines for the two tanks and the engine inlet, and everything in between is fitted as part of stage integration (as with Saturn I, IIRC).

Ya were I to write this up that would actually happen at least once in the initial flight testing with them watching a cluster of Redstones flip end-over-end and noting, "Well that seems to be an issue..."

Randy

Also back onto the 'general' subject I think I've figured out a way this COULD effect medium, (aka commercial) payloads :)

I'm generalizing around the margins here but following my initial concept if the "Jupiter" is clustered as a prototype "Nova" it would actually make sense to continue to pursue that angle for payloads up to the Nova-11 size would it not? The "Jupiter/H1" then becomes the prototype for the "Nova/F1-J2" module which might have some serious knock-ons down the road considering how much trouble Centaur initially had reaching operation. The main reason it's Jupiter not Thor is to ensure Von Braun becomes a believer in modularity and advanced cluster design which would tend him towards picking Convair's Nova design...

The sticking point is modular boosters may not be cost effective vis-a-vis small solid motors but if it makes economic sense for larger designs I'd think it would for smaller ones as well.

Given how OTL Thor evolved to Delta I'm not sure it would actually work but I am thinking that there was a 'point' where while the Air Force was very interested in keeping the Army from having long range IRBM's they themselves were not actually interested in deploying them and had to scramble when given the "job" taken away from the Army. (Hence the Thor is really a version of the Jupiter built to AF specifications) So in TTL while the Air Force manages to get the Army IRBM development taken away they are still caught flat footed by the decision and are called out when they ask for funding to develop their own. Much like OTL they are forced to use a version of the Jupiter built by the contractor so only deploy them in limited numbers. (And rename then "Thor" out of spite) In the confusion they also miss out on part of the space launch mission allowing Von Braun's team funding and support to build the 'modular' version of the Jupiter as a prototype of Nova. Plausible?

Randy

Possible POD?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGM-19_Jupiter

"In March 1955, the Army approached the Air Force about their MRBM design. When the Air Force had split from the Army in 1947, the two forces had a tacit agreement that the Army would be responsible for designs flying less than 1,000 miles (1,600 km), while the Air Force took over those with greater range. {Note: That actually wasn't in the Key West accords as missile technology wasn't really considered} The new design's 1,500 mile range placed it within the umbrella of the Air Force, so the Army offered to design and build the missile for operation by the Air Force. In spite of addressing the calls for an Air Force M/IRBM, and that taking it over would keep the Army out of the long-range missile game, General Schriever dismissed the idea outright:

“ It would be naive to think that the Army would develop a weapon and then turn it over to the Air Force for operation. Therefore, I strongly recommend that our relationship with Redstone [Arsenal] remain on an exchange of information basis.”
As the calls for an IRBM continued, Schriever finally acquiesced and suggested that an IRBM could be created out of a down-scaled Atlas, thereby avoiding any duplication of effort. Contract tenders for such designs were sent out in May 1955. However, by July the Joint Coordinating Committee on Ballistic Missiles concluded that there were enough differences between the two concepts that an entirely new design should be built for the role."

Schriever being Shriever that statement makes some 'sense' but it's dumb as heck and someone should have called him on it. It's not ''naive" and that is in fact exactly what the Army is suggesting to do. What it WAS about was Schriever (and most of the Air Force missile organization) were bound and determined to make the Army obsolete as the rest of the Air Force management, (LeMay-et-al) were trying to do to the Navy at the same time. It was about leaving the Army no place in the missile or space operations. But since the Air Force, (Schriever specifically) had no real interest in an M/IRBM and was focused on the Atlas (and later Titan and Minuteman) if SoD Wilson's 1956 "memo" is a bit better thought out and maybe his elbow joggled by some Congressmen, the Air Force is forced to accept the Army Jupiter and at the same time the Army is given credit for it's more accurate design by giving them a piece of the space program. (The DoD Weapons Systems Evaluation Group {WSEG} doubted the Army claim of being able to get a CEP of 0.5 miles (0.80 km) at 1500 miles (2,400km) unrealistic but the Army actually was getting there prompting the WSEG to label the "Jupiter is the most promising weapon for development" which made the Air Force even madder)

While Wilson was obviously more Air Force oriented, (face it pretty much everyone in both the Truman and Eisenhower administrations was due to the desire for "cheap" defense operations which equated out to bombers and nukes even though Korea SHOULD have been a wake up call on the concept) OTL he got so disgusted over the Army/Air Force media sniping that he tossed off his memo only to have to back-track a few weeks later on most of the limitations. OTL that was too almost to late for both Von Braun and Jupiter but if someone can get Schriever to see past the "nonexistent" inter-service rivalry it is a clear win/win going with Jupiter. (Lose though because it doesn't kick the Army down another notch but that could be spun if one tries hard enough :) )

The other problem is getting the Army invested in space in any way as at the time it was the only service to not have a viable 'space' based mission despite having an advanced missile program. Again the Air Force wanted sole control so as to monopolize the "launch vehicle" (read: ICBM/Nuclear delivery) mission but they really had no real "plan" to do anything with it. Meanwhile the Navy and Army were proposing things like Navigation, (who needs those when you have a navigator and sextant? It's an atomic bomb, you only need to be 'close' after all) Communications, (why? you have a radio and no need to talk to anyone other than take off and landing... In flight orders? That's what they make carrier pigeons for right?) Reconnaissance, (... Ok you may have a point there but still airplanes take better pictures and we can fly so high... Damn, ok we can fly so fast... Damn, still don't think it's a valid point but hey if we build them to carry men too they we're still "flying" it right?) and other satellites but the Air Force "programs" to study these applications were, well they DID write a lot of reports...

Again if we assume some Congress-critters get serious in addressing the inter-service rivalry and Air Force over-reach... Especially if we have the Army and Navy get together and start some joint programs. (Ok, now I have an image of an Army "Mobile" Polaris launcher in my head)

Anyway does this make some sense?

Randy

Late reply (because I just re-found this :) ) but on what the 'clustered' Nova stage would probably "look" like:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/attac...1b-png.47053/?attachmentid=47053&d=1303770309

Specifically the "alternate" configurations as they avoid the 'dead-space' and need for a central support hub structure.

Also I've discovered a youtube KSP program that has forever altered the way I'm going to 'see' the what we've termed the Nova-11.

To the point: 1 F1 and 1 J2 = 1F1+1J2 = F1+J1 = FiJi of Fiji.. I can't unsee that now :)

How much would that drive someone who was as "name-happy" as Von Braun nuts, especially if it caught on?

"We have decided to go to the Moon with the..." (sound of gritting teeth) "FIJI V cluster rocket"

Randy

So would the 2 F1 1 J2 be to FoJi? The 2F1 2J2 to FoJo?

Ahm. I was just thinking about this topic again because I was thinking of the impact of the Apollo 1 fire... If the extra payload capacity of the Nova allows for a mixed oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, it's rather likely that a catastrophic fire would be avoided and decent odds that a fatal accident could be avoided during the Apollo program.

If Apollo had ended with only Apollo 13 as a disaster (which without the precedent of the Apollo 1 fire isn't nearly as scary since NASA can say "yes that was hairy, but also proved that our contingency planning and safety measures were up to scratch") NASA could have a much freer hand in development of subsequent programs.

fasquardon

So would the 2 F1 1 J2 be to FoJi? The 2F1 2J2 to FoJo?

Well considering MY interpretation of the 'flow-path' has the F1J1, (ie: testing the single module flight vehicle) first once the media gets ahold of "FiJi" they will just keep going 'up' along that path. FiJi-2, FiJi-5 etc...

[qutoe]Ahm. I was just thinking about this topic again because I was thinking of the impact of the Apollo 1 fire... If the extra payload capacity of the Nova allows for a mixed oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, it's rather likely that a catastrophic fire would be avoided and decent odds that a fatal accident could be avoided during the Apollo program.[/quote]

Ah, I keep noting this but it seems to not be understood but let me be blunt:
NASA nor anyone else did NOT use oxy-nitrogen atmosphere once the ship left the atmosphere! They ALL used pure-oxygen for the majority of the space flight and ALL EVA operations. This was not changed until the Skylab which use 80% O2 and 20% N2 at 5psi which was also fed to the suits by umbilical. (This made the Skylab suits more difficult to move than the Lunar suits btw) This is why the Shuttle suits required two hours of pure O2 pre-breathing because THEY used pure O2 as do the ISS suits so they can be worn and worked in for extended periods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo/Skylab_A7L

Apollo-1 happened because of the TIME pressure not the carrying capacity of the Saturn-1B. No it didn't help that the Block 1 Command module had to be lightened but that had been an issue since the beginning and NAA was simply not qualified to make accurate assessments of what was needed for the module in weight and manufacture despite working closely with Max Faget on the "approved" capsule design. (Faget disliked ALL the other Apollo contractor concepts and despite having worked closely with Mercury and Gemini manufacturer McDonnell seems to have not passed on any of the design features or construction technology to NAA who had to develop it all from scratch) Unless they actually go with a different maker for the Apollo capsule I don't see increased lifting mass helping the actual issues that lead to the fire. Now the chances the fire either doesn't kill anyone, (they'd been scheduled to leave the capsule and hour prior but the comms and electronics glitches delayed the end of the test) or is worse, (the chances were pretty high those attempting to open the capsule could have been seriously injured if not killed that they weren't was really pure luck) are about even but it wasn't JUST the pure O2 that was an issue. The over-pressure nature of the 'plugs-out' test even with a mixed atmosphere would mean a higher O2 level in the cabin and while it might not spread as fast as it did the cabin was still going to fill with toxic smoke AND breach both the breathing air system and suits in short order due to where the fire broke out. That same over-pressure and hatch design meant getting the astronauts out in a timely manner simply wasn't going to happen.

Oddly the designs that Faget 'hated' which all had "mission" or "orbital" modules attached to the Command Module might have saved the astronauts lives. They could have moved to the other module, (in theory) and sealed the internal hatch and let the fire burn itself out. That IS one thing a higher lift capability would have allowed with ease.

The reason the accident was such a 'disaster' OTL was not really about the design or the pure O2 atmosphere but of the unmitigated 'rush' and pressure NASA was maintaining on the contractors and costs. The mantra was literally "waste anything but time" and the continuation of the "Air Force/Contractor" relationship and practices that had come to NASA with the large influx of Air Force personnel meant that there was a vast amount of trust AND pressure on a contractor to perform with no questions and limited oversight simply because NASA was to busy to provide either. It's telling that the majority of the astronauts DID have questions and concerns over the NAA Apollo design but felt that pushing either would reduce their chances of being chosen to perform missions during Apollo.

If Apollo had ended with only Apollo 13 as a disaster (which without the precedent of the Apollo 1 fire isn't nearly as scary since NASA can say "yes that was hairy, but also proved that our contingency planning and safety measures were up to scratch") NASA could have a much freer hand in development of subsequent programs.

Probably yes but also no. See NASA was pretty sure that "something" WOULD happen if the program continued but much like the later Shuttle program Apollo and the Lunar landings was really the only game in town and they treated it as such. It was management that 'traded' landings away and the lower management simply complained that the program was being taken away from them just as they were getting 'good' with the process. Mid-level management just wanted to keep extending the surface time and maybe get those 'scientist' off their backs about doing things on the Moon but they really didn't support any significant change in the operations or systems because THAT would introduce new failure modes and/or possibilities. THE problem was that "yes that was hairy, but also proved that our contingency planning and safety measures were up to scratch" was STILL how they treated Apollo-13 which piled on top of a similar "people die when your doing this stuff" for Apollo-1 and "trust us we're experts and you can't possibly understand what what we do" attitudes towards anyone who might question them all added up to drive Congress and the President to reign them in hard as soon as possible.

Couple that with the rather arrogant attitude that NASA was going to toss the current program for a new and improved, (and even more expensive) one the second they saw an opening, (and this was pretty clear in that management of NASA in fact did not really support Apollo Applications other than an excuse to 'use-up' the remaining Apollo hardware) and had made no bones about this "plan" since before the fire it was clear that any 'post-Apollo' planning was going to require giving NASA a 10lb sledge hammer to the forehead reality check. Which was arguably what Congress and the Administration (Nixon) attempted to do OTL. The fact the Shuttle program turned out the way it did and all the drama therein pretty much proves the 'lesson' didn't take and I'd have to assume in TTL it may not either but...

Here NASA has something they can 'work' with even if the overall program is cut back. As long as they don't "throw-it-all-away" in a fit of aiming to get over Apollo there's a good chance they can have at least as somewhat more viable system in the post Apollo period and something they can work FROM to get to where everyone wants to be in the post-Apollo period.

As we've discussed the fact that they can if they want continue "module" production at even a low level and still have the occasional capability of launching significant payloads just by 'saving' up modules over time is a vast improvement over OTL's post-Apollo period. One of the things I'd mentioned but not gone into any detail was that you CAN have a Modular-Nova based "shuttle" without a huge amount of difficulty IF you really put your mind to it. As I noted you actually need and can use a smaller "orbiter" since your large payloads can go up on a multi-module HLV. Given the same "factors" as OTL a TAOS design actually makes a bit more sense though I'd have to try running the full numbers at some point. Your 'basic' J2 module (or two) used as expendable tanks with the Orbiter mounting the J2 needed, (remember it's pretty much 'crew' only and some light cargo) with either LRBs or SRBs depending on if we need Thiokol/Utah on-board or not but easy to 'attach' since we've already got built in attachment points. You put up a set of space stations using the HLV and support it with "Fiji-1's" and this Shuttle and you can continue to do it for quite a while the limited budget you have. Even better you will still have the ability to send off the occasional Lunar or deep space mission if you play your cards right and since you already, (if you didn't piss the Power-That-Be off TOO much along the way and kept your landers in storage) the equipment to do it.

Win/Win

Randy

So the choice of a pure oxygen atmosphere wasn't a weight-saving measure? Because I was sure that it was. And Apollo was supposed to be the craft that would support the whole space program, not just the Lunar landing. So it makes sense to give it an atmosphere humans can tolerate for long periods of time. Of course, the space suit issue might mean NASA still went with a pure O2 atmosphere for the capsule and LEM, since humans can tolerate that well enough for the length of mission they'd be doing.

One of the things I'd mentioned but not gone into any detail was that you CAN have a Modular-Nova based "shuttle" without a huge amount of difficulty IF you really put your mind to it.

It's true, and considering how close OTL's shuttle came to being boosted by an F-1 stage, I could see TTL's shuttle using F-1 modules as its boosters.

Couple that with the rather arrogant attitude that NASA was going to toss the current program for a new and improved, (and even more expensive) one the second they saw an opening,

I think part of the problem is that doing a space program by half-measures is inefficient in terms of money and resources. The smart way to do it if you want bang for your buck (and to be fair, NASA has been asked often to provide bang for buck) is to scale things up. Get a LV that is either big, or flies often servicing infrastructure in Earth Orbit with propellant depots, people in orbit working in small space stations, reuseable OTVs, a wide ranging robot probe program and working to develop the technology for deep space human exploration and for either Lunar or NEO mining to provide a resource base in a shallower gravity well.

Launch costs being what they are, the pay-off being so far off, and with space development being the priority of a small, politically divided part of the electorate, well, you can understand why Congress doesn't back this stuff. But at the same time, I don't think NASA is so unreasonable to keep putting forward these sorts of things. At least, in view of what the NASA charter, the Presidents and Congress itself tells NASA it is FOR.

Trying to half-ass (or even worse, quarter-ass) this sort of thing ends up being exorbitantly expensive in the end.

fasquardon

So the choice of a pure oxygen atmosphere wasn't a weight-saving measure? Because I was sure that it was. And Apollo was supposed to be the craft that would support the whole space program, not just the Lunar landing. So it makes sense to give it an atmosphere humans can tolerate for long periods of time. Of course, the space suit issue might mean NASA still went with a pure O2 atmosphere for the capsule and LEM, since humans can tolerate that well enough for the length of mission they'd be doing.

Apollo was originally intended to have a mixed gas atmosphere UNLIKE all previous NASA space craft, (Mercury and Gemini) which used pure-O2 atmospheres but yes the weight of the system was a problem but it was only one of many NAA was having with the design. NASA requested the change in that the capsule as planned the would start with a mixed gas atmosphere and transition as the flight went on switch to pure O2 in flight. Changing this from launch, (while waiting to launch the mixed gas would be replaced with pure O2 through an external connection) saved the weight of the initial mixed gas system and the transition system. After the fire NAA simply put back in the original system and they found ways to reduce mass in other places instead. (Actually off-loading a lot of the required weight 'savings' onto the still being developed LM in fact)

Everything was planned to run on pure O2 to reduce issues with EVA and space suit operations even "space station" studies assumed pure-O2 until after the fire. Skylab ended up having a reduced pressure mixed gas atmosphere but that required the use of pre-breathing for any EVA activity since the suits still always used pure-O2. The biggest issue with Apollo-Soyuz was Apollo's atmosphere was at a much lower setting than Soyuz was which required the whole 'docking tunnel' assembly to get around.

[/quote]It's true, and considering how close OTL's shuttle came to being boosted by an F-1 stage, I could see TTL's shuttle using F-1 modules as its boosters.[/quote]

I blame the KSP "Thin Shuttle" for starting me down the dark path :)

I think part of the problem is that doing a space program by half-measures is inefficient in terms of money and resources.

No argument and no doubt really :) It still boils down to not having sufficient 'reason' to have a more efficient space program which in and of itself is a logic trap.

The smart way to do it if you want bang for your buck (and to be fair, NASA has been asked often to provide bang for buck) is to scale things up. Get a LV that is either big, or flies often servicing infrastructure in Earth Orbit with propellant depots, people in orbit working in small space stations, reusable OTVs, a wide ranging robot probe program and working to develop the technology for deep space human exploration and for either Lunar or NEO mining to provide a resource base in a shallower gravity well.

Agreed but with the context that doing so requires the ability to both assume and plan for 'writing off' a huge amount of the initial and ongoing costs in favor of a longer term 'payoff' if one comes at all. One correction though is the idea that you can go "either" big OR often and in fact going big will invariably lead, initially, to not going often and therefore be far less cost-effective. It is the main conundrum with "going big" (Apollo, Saturn-V/Nova, Shuttle, etc) early on that it makes it seem you are further 'ahead' of the curve than you really are. And something we've been stuck with and can't seem to get over. It is the reason that it is rare to get a proposed launch vehicle that is smaller rather than as big as possible. In the context here the various proposals OTL for a follow on to Apollo were in the majority BIGGER payloads than the Saturn-V could carry, (into the "million-or-more-pounds-to-orbit" in a single launch category) and we 'settled' for about a third (counting the Orbiter mass along with the cargo... Crew on every flight remember AND a "mini-space-station" which was the orbiter itself) of that in the end. And that was arguably exactly the wrong way to go from that point since there was and still is obviously no real 'need' for such large payloads. But here comes SLS which will probably be used even LESS than the Shuttle was.\

In the case being discussed here we have a more 'medium' launch capability that is, due to hoped for cost effectiveness due to a modular nature and mass production, overall cheaper to use more often, (at least the OTL Shuttle flight rate) and can be with a bit more effort and/or budget used once in a while to loft much larger payloads all using the same 'basic' module. As I see it the nature of the 'system' (why not call it the Space Launch System it's not like the Air Force didn't come up with the name in the '60s first :) ) means that adding something like a reusable crew reentry and landing vehicle, (TTL's "Shuttle") so you can recover the upper-stage engines makes a lot of sense over a pure capsule. Given the "wings-and-wheels" bias of the people involved it won't be that hard of a sell really and NASA can in fact claim to be seeing to the whole 'bucks=bang' situation.

Launch costs being what they are, the pay-off being so far off, and with space development being the priority of a small, politically divided part of the electorate, well, you can understand why Congress doesn't back this stuff. But at the same time, I don't think NASA is so unreasonable to keep putting forward these sorts of things. At least, in view of what the NASA charter, the Presidents and Congress itself tells NASA it is FOR.

Well I CAN in fact understand and even somewhat sympathize but the plain fact is, (and as usual when politicians get together to "chart" a course for a large and complex government agency) what they SAY they want is very often situational and time-period sensitive and almost never what they will want once any parameter changes. What NASA's charter and continued authorization bills SAY the politicians want NASA to do and what those same polticians actually support are worlds apart and always have been. (Prime examples are while NASA is supposed to use "commercial" launch capability as much as possible the actual outcome was clearly to provide funding and support to ONLY certain "commercial" vendors. The fact they got called out on that little fact has made the politicians 'reinterpret' that ruling several times now with language that continues to narrow "who" NASA can actually choose and who they can't)

The simple truth is every time NASA proposes a 'new' strategy in space exploration the politicians see them asking for Apollo and all that implies all over again. And they are not really wrong because for the longest time that was exactly what NASA said they were looking for. As Administrators go O'Keefe got a lot of grief for being a "bean-counter" and not an astronaut or scientist but he did show NASA could probably do the job cheaper than they were. On the other hand he also showed that Congress and the Administration for the most part were themselves not really interested in seeing NASA do that. Sure Congress balked at Constellation but in the end they still backed it because it was quite obviously a 'far future' system that could be milked for pork for decades. Meanwhile had they or the Administration supported O'Keefe's EELV based, (with an SDHLV "in works) program the US would have had orbital manned and ISS support capability to back up the Shuttle by around 2010. Since actually having capability tends to cause NASA to actually plan to USE that capability...

Trying to half-ass (or even worse, quarter-ass) this sort of thing ends up being exorbitantly expensive in the end.

And as long as the majority of that money, (all of it really if you get technical) gets spent on places on Earth that those in charge of the purse stings want it to be spent at who cares? Well obviously a lot of us "Space Cadets" DO in fact care and would greatly prefer that the money be spent at least a titch more efficiently :) Thing is OTL NASA has the problem that they simply don't have any alternatives to offer and at the same time need to keep "employing" people whom it's proven Congress doesn't actually care if they stay employed or not.

In the context of "TTL" NASA has an ongoing and pretty robust system in place where they "technically" don't have to go hat-in-hand to beg Congress for money to do anything with because they can in fact "live" within their means. Not that this will actually stop them from occasionally trying or taking advantage of an Administrative or Congressional mood-shift but by the same token they don't have to depend on that happening to do even what is nominally their "job" on a regular basis. H. W. Bush announces the Space Exploration Initiative? NASA still presents 'a' 90-day plan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Exploration_Initiative) but it's based on the Nova-SLS and variants. (Oh they ASK for a "new" LV but they don't get it either of course)
Congress balks as per OTL which is fine since all NASA has to do to 'initiate' Space Station Freedom is A) decide on a design, B) Pull enough modules out of storage to stack a Fiji-6-ish HLV on which to stack the core module once it's built, C) go for launch!

The Common Lunar Lander gets nickle and dime'd by Congress of course, (this they can control) but every couple of years there should be enough Fiji modules to toss a significant Lunar orbital mission to the Moon. Look you can take your 'friends' the Russians too! And while I wouldn't trust their 'lander' as far as I can throw it, in the near future when we're looking to toss money towards their scientist NOT going to work for someone to build nuclear weapons, we can have them build modules for Freedom... And if a few of them have some funny attachments that oddly enough look like landing legs and propulsion systems, well you know those crazy Russians right? And why NOT help them to do what they couldn't do on their own and look they offer to take some American's with them! Win/Win.

Compare that to having to ask "Congress-may-I" at every turn :) But it also is predicated on NASA being able to reign itself in from tossing out the baby, the crib, Mom, Dad, and then placing an add in the paper for a government designed and built family along with the bathwater. A fundamental acceptance that Apollo was and will remain and aberration rather than any possible or plausible state of budget and support that you are going to return to one day. That you WILL have to make do as one Agency among many with no automatic priority and with a budget that likely will shrink rather than grow and plane and work accordingly. Of all of NASA Von Braun and the Huntsville folks understood what it was like and how to 'make-do' if they had to whereas the rest of NASA was born and raised with the false expectations and experience of Apollo and acted accordingly.

Randy

There were some misconception on Apollo Capsule Atmosphere

it was designed from begin to use pure Oxygen as Air in Apollo
because of Mass reason, the pressure was fixed on 5 psi in orbit (8 psi max)
Also would use of pure oxygen, exclude the need for a Airlock in Apollo spacecraft what save mass
This brought CM internal pressure shell mass to 1284 lb. or 582 kilogram.
(with a Sea level Pressure shell would have mass of 3466 lb. or 1571 kilogram)

but here comes design error
During launch the Cabin pressure is 16 psi on launch pad to prevent air (14.7 psi) get into capsule
NASA and NAA consider pure Oxygen at 16 psi not big problem
Until Apollo 1 show how dangerous this was

There several proposal like put little bit nitrogen into Cabin Atmosphere, but this requires airlock and additional subsystem, what was not possible to change in short notice
Oxygen Helium mixture needed additional subsystem in CSM and turn human voice into Donald Duck likes
in end Max Faget came with easy solution
since the Crew is already in space Suit, the capsule is filled oxygen-nitrogen in a 60:40 ratio.
That mixed atmosphere will be bled out Capsule during ascent into orbit and replaced with pure oxygen.
While the Astronauts are sealed in there Spacesuits breading already 100% Oxygen.

For Apollo Applikation Program and Skylab
they had Problem that Pure Oxygen start to damage the lungs on mission longer that 14 day
so they went for 70% oxygen 30% nitrogen at 5 psi for Skylab.

Compare that to having to ask "Congress-may-I" at every turn :)

Hrm. OK. I'd thought that the Apollo fire was what led to the rules under which NASA is so closely overseen by Congress.

So what do NASA need to ask "Congress-may-I" about?

fasquardon

Sorry for the delay some computer issues to work out :) (Computer:1 Randy: 0, not like that's a surprise :) )
Fasquadron wrote:
Hrm. OK. I'd thought that the Apollo fire was what led to the rules under which NASA is so closely overseen by Congress.

It was but keep in mind that (as of yet, crossing-my-fingers) Congress hasn’t gotten as far as mandating what the spacecraft atmosphere mix is going to consist of :) One must keep in mind that the use of pure O2 was only PART of the problems with the Apollo Spacecraft and indeed the Program itself and the fire was the opening that Congress used to assert more ‘over-sight’ and ‘control’ over NASA programming, planning and operations. But they had to be careful as the US and NASA had only three years left to ‘fulfill’ the Martyred Kennedy’s goal. They could not in effect “punish” NASA too much or they might risk the Lunar Landing Goal. So they settled for some sacrificial heads and basically killing all future Apollo projects by canceling and de-funding all follow-on programs that were not at that point already in some stage of work. (LBJ’s “point” when he noted they were going to “throw it all away” regarding Apollo)

What Congress did was to start insinuating themselves into NASA’s budgetary process to the point where by delaying, deferring or outright vetoing various budgetary allocations they could delay or change what NASA could actually do or not do in a planned program. (The Shuttle) This went on for decades to the point where certain programs that members of Congress had “issues” with (TransHab) got canceled despite wide support within NASA for the program or money would be removed from ‘general’ funding (support) to build a “multi-lingual visitors center” right next to the existing “multilingual visitors center” which never opens and is then torn down in a few years.

Finally we’re at a point where Congress sets into law the performance of a launch vehicle with no regard to NASA’s ability to utilize or support that launch vehicle. And very clearly in order to ‘use’ the stated launch vehicle capacity NASA then has to ask Congress for additional funding and support for new payloads to launch on a launch vehicle that oddly enough Congress isn’t giving NASA enough money to finish in a timely fashion…

So what do NASA need to ask "Congress-may-I" about?

Currently pretty much anything since Congress can and has gone into the NASA budget AFTER APPROVAL and changed the amounts and where they go on a line by line basis. To start a new program or build a major asset requires that Congress allocate enough money to NASA’s budget and THEN NOT TOUCH IT, which is likely the ‘harder’ criteria. And while NASA has a lot of blame for being so ready to ‘toss’ the ‘old-program’ (Apollo), really as long as Congress was not going to authorize funds to re-open the production lines, (and keep in mind this had been going on since around 1965 well BEFORE the fire) and order more Saturn’s and Apollo’s NASA had little choice really.

Congress put into ‘law’ how much payload the SLS is required to lift without recourse or reference to NASA’s input or requirements. That the amount of payload requires an upper-stage which Congress has been reluctant to fund and other design and construction issues is fully and obviously beside the point to Congress. Those that were quite ‘proud’ to have inserted that number into the bill as a requirement were ONLY concerned that the stated amount of payload would “require” the use of SRB’s they were told by “experts” and so they inserted that number into the NASA funding bill. This is simply a continuation of the strict overall control that Congress exercises over NASA programs and capability.

Now imagine what happens if Congress doesn't get that opening in the first place? Or they are not in the position to regulate NASA's ability to carry on certain programs at a lower level? Again we're talking a system that once every couple of years allows NASA to 'build' a Lunar mission while supporting a space station and possibly even a "shuttle-like" (STS actually) transport system without having to go to Congress for a new "Apollo-like" program every decades or so. Someone still has to sit on NASA's "Big Program" tendency but the "thinking" was there even during Apollo it just wasn't encouraged or allowed into the open much.

Randy

Currently pretty much anything since Congress can and has gone into the NASA budget AFTER APPROVAL and changed the amounts and where they go on a line by line basis. To start a new program or build a major asset requires that Congress allocate enough money to NASA’s budget and THEN NOT TOUCH IT, which is likely the ‘harder’ criteria. And while NASA has a lot of blame for being so ready to ‘toss’ the ‘old-program’ (Apollo), really as long as Congress was not going to authorize funds to re-open the production lines, (and keep in mind this had been going on since around 1965 well BEFORE the fire) and order more Saturn’s and Apollo’s NASA had little choice really.
Now imagine what happens if Congress doesn't get that opening in the first place? Or they are not in the position to regulate NASA's ability to carry on certain programs at a lower level? Again we're talking a system that once every couple of years allows NASA to 'build' a Lunar mission while supporting a space station and possibly even a "shuttle-like" (STS actually) transport system without having to go to Congress for a new "Apollo-like" program every decades or so. Someone still has to sit on NASA's "Big Program" tendency but the "thinking" was there even during Apollo it just wasn't encouraged or allowed into the open much.

So congress was already exerting line-by-line control of the NASA budget before the Apollo fire (and no Apollo fire isn't a PoD that leads to more autonomy for NASA)? So what gave Congress the first opening?

fasquardon