Napolyon Bey Bonaparte's Whiff of Grapeshot

Selim III was one of the more competent Sultans of the Empire, I would be surprised if he were completely sidelined by Napoleon.

Good to see someone do a TL of this. Ottoman history in this period is very interesting and an Ottoman-aligned Napoleon does seem to be suggested as an aside pretty regularly.

fasquardon

Book I: The Life and Death of Napolyon Bey Bonaparte
… Napoleon Bonaparte departed Paris only three days before Royalists rose up in Paris, on the 1st of October. By all accounts he was scheduled to leave later, but he was eager to leave as he saw no opportunity for himself in France. After getting permission, Napoleon left a week early. [POD] The Directory, never trusting him due to his Jacobin ties, cared little what he did. Bringing Desiree Clary, his lover to whom he was engaged, along with him, Napoleon arrived at Montpellier, from there setting sail to Constantinople, capital of the Ottoman Empire.

By all accounts Napoleon's first few months in Constantinople were nothing if not uneventful. He and his fiancee got settled, and then he began to work as an artillery advisor for the Ottoman Empire. While little of anything happened, he was hopeful, saying many years later in his life that “I knew an opportunity would come. I only had to wait for said opportunity to come, and I would take it, and show the Sultan what I was worth.” He spent much of his spare time viewing the city and learning about the Ottoman Empire.

Then, in early January of 1795, his fiancee, Desiree Clary, informed him that she was leaving him and returning to France. Napoleon tried to get her to stay, feeling he had a strong bond with her, but she would have none of it. She was not willing to stay in this ‘wretched place’ any longer, and more so she was done with him. Accusing him of caring more of his work than her, she left him, returning to France.

Desiree_Clary.png
Left: A later painting of Desiree Clary.

During the rest of 1795 and all of 1796, Napoleon threw himself into his work. No longer tied down by his fiancee, and hurt by her leaving him, he spent every minute of his time either working or studying the Ottoman Empire. Every piece of the government, every detail of information about the military, Napoleon learned it all. This was to have great benefit later when Napoleon…

… In early 1797, Napoleon’s opportunity came. Selim III, who was an avid reformer, was increasingly training more regular units schooled in the European style of warfare, and equipped by the French. Now, Selim III had decided to visit his new army and see the progress. As part of the visit, Selim III was going to view the new artillery unit, which Napoleon was training. Taking the opportunity, Napoleon boldy requested that he speak with the Sultan. The Sultan, curious why a French Artillery Advisor would want to speak to him, accepted. It was then that Napoleon shared his plan of dealing with the Janissaries to Selim III.

Napoleon had despised the Janissaries from the moment he arrived. Not only did they hold the Ottomans back from reforming, but the people of Constantinople feared and hated them. Upon seeing the Janissary barracks, Napoleon had hatched a plan that he would develop over the next few months, ultimately leading to him meeting with the Sultan and then the Fortunate Event (See Fortunate Event, pg. 256.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An excerpt from biography.com: Sultan Selim III:
… Selim III, who was a talented and energetic ruler, found himself slowly falling under Napolyon’s influence. Selim III was still his own ruler, but Napolyon’s ideas and plans were excellent, and they coincided with Selim III’s desire for a reformed Ottoman Empire. His dream of the Nizam I Jedid, the New Order, with a European style army and a reformed Ottoman Empire, became a reality, but at the cost of Napolyon Bey Bonaparte becoming more and more powerful.

Neferi.jpg
Left: Soldiers of the Nizam I Jedid.

After the Fortunate Event, Napoleon had become a close advisor of Selim III. During this period, Napoleon became the spearhead of the reforms, and this arrangement continued until the Russo-Turkish War (1801-07)...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An excerpt from The French Revolution by Jean Favre, 1892:
On October 3rd, several days after the now famous Napolyon Bey Bonaparte left Paris, Royalists in Paris declared a rebellion against the National Convention. General Menou was given command of the defense of the city, however he was severely outnumbered with only 5,000 soldiers to fight the 30,000 man Royalist Army.

On the 4th of October, the National Guard arrived at the La Peltier section of Paris to try to put down the rebellion. Menou, splitting his forces into three columns, planned that the assault was to begin in the evening. At the time the assault was set to begin, the commanders of the first two columns made excuses, not advancing. The third column, led by Menou, timidly advanced. Inviting the rebels to discuss terms of their dispersal, he withdrew when they promised to disarm. Seeing this as a sign of weakness, the rebels called up other parts of Paris to rise up in rebellion. Realizing his mistake, Menou launched a cavalry attack, clearing a small area of Royalists. Shortly after, the National Convention replaced Menou with Paul Barras.

At around 4 AM on October 5th, the Royalists launched a probing attack, which was repulsed at a heavy cost. At 10 AM, the main Royalist attack was launched. Being outnumbered nearly 6 to 1, the National Guard quickly began to waver, and by noon the National Guard fell apart.

Undefended, the members of the National Convention were almost all captured, given false trials, and either imprisoned or put to death...

A bit of a slow Chapter I, mostly setting up future events and getting through Napolyon’s rise to power in the Ottoman Empire. Much of the parts on the French Revolution was as per OTL, but as it takes place only several days after the POD, and Napoleon was not present for the first day of the battle, I feel its pretty believable. Comments, questions, concerns?

Last edited:
I love it:D. Normally, I'm not a fan of the "Napoleon as famous general elsewhere how much does he conquer" schtick, but this looks promising and you've grabbed my interest.

So, even in this TL Napoleon doesn't get Desiree? Damn.

One wonders who could be his TTL Josephine...

It's interesting to see how the OE is going towards a dual power setting, it will be nice to see who between Napoleon and Selim will have the last word...

Do they have a list of who voted to execute Louis XVI?If they do,then anyone who is still alive on that list is a dead man.Probably,even the executioner's a dead man too.

I liked the first chapter, and the dynamic you've established between Napoleon and the sultan. Looking forward to the next update!

Kuld von Reyn- Thanks! The relation is somewhat interesting, because Selim III is talented in his own right, but Napolyon is even more brilliant. The next update is more war involved, but it sets up some massive changes that I am REALLY looking foward to writing. :D

Darthfanta- It will be a long list. I don't have specifics on me as I was trying to get the update out, but I will look in to it.

Yuelang- Don't count the revolution out yet, but with the National Convention gone things are going to collapse to a more local level VERY quickly.

RyuDrago- TTL he still doesn't get her, but this was to make it so future marriages that are more politically potent are possible. As for the dual power, it makes sense as the Sultan is more politically powerful and is talented, but Napolyon is more talented by a lot.

Biden&Ceaser'12- Great to have you hooked. :D

Siliwangi- I'm not sure I understand?

Sh3baproject- Thanks!

Fasquardon- Its more of a dual power balance. Napolyon is far more talented, but the Sultan is talented in his own right.

Starting work on the next update.

Fasquardon- Its more of a dual power balance. Napolyon is far more talented, but the Sultan is talented in his own right.

It occurs to me that part of Napoleon's problem in France was that there was no-one strong enough to tell him when he was wrong. This makes your situation here at once full of chances for disaster, also full of potential for great success.

With regards to events in France, while France may end up Royalist, I doubt it will be stable for some considerable time to come. (After all, OTL they were still suffering the aftershocks of the Revolution until the Third Republic brought stability.)

fasquardon

I dig it! I especially enjoyed the investigation of Napolyon's emotional state in Desiree's wake. As for the Revolution, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it. Violent suppression isn't a good recipe for complacent subjects.

Napoleon can marry into the House of Osman if he converts to Islam and no doubt Selim would want this IF Napoleon kicks Russia's ass like a total defeat of Russia such as the one the Ottomans inflicted on Peter the Great(and unlike that Ottoman commander I doubt Napoleon will let Russia off with a weak treaty)

Muhammed Ali Pasha is next after Russia he's far too independant for anyone's liking.

Napoleon will CRUSH the Balkan people he's not sympathetic for Greece, he loved the Roman Empire he still took over Italy, he respected Alexander the Great, and the Egyptian Pharoh's he still tried to take Egypt.

Plus his life has been tied to the Porte now he can't go back to France the influence he got OTL has passed bye, in France he's a Jacobin artillerly officer so yah his life is now in the Porte. And losing territory to rebellions is bad Napoleon will slaughter the Greek rebels, and any allies they get.

I like it.

Breaking the Jannissaries 30 years early and NOT having to fight for Egypt against the French definitely gives the OE breathing space.

In the Ottoman Empire it was possible to achieve high positions for foreigners (IIRC quite a few high officials were from Poland or Germany in the 19th century - Mehmet Emin Pasha I remember). They were usually required to convert to Islam and took (had to?) Ottoman names. I believe old Nappy would have folloed this custom too.

I can't see him as Sultan, but he would make a good "man behind the throne".

I like it.

Breaking the Jannissaries 30 years early and NOT having to fight for Egypt against the French definitely gives the OE breathing space.

In the Ottoman Empire it was possible to achieve high positions for foreigners (IIRC quite a few high officials were from Poland or Germany in the 19th century - Mehmet Emin Pasha I remember). They were usually required to convert to Islam and took (had to?) Ottoman names. I believe old Nappy would have folloed this custom too.

I can't see him as Sultan, but he would make a good "man behind the throne".
Not necessarily,but if he wants to achieve the utmost positions like grand vizier or marry an imperial princess,converting to Islam would be necessary.It's against Islamic traditions for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim.Chinese Gordon most famously remained a Christian even in Ottoman/Egyptian service as governor-general of Sudan.

And yes,marrying an Imperial Princess would be necessary for Nappy to climb to the top of Ottoman hierarchy.It wouldn't give him a claim to the throne,but it would most certainly give him the prestige and respect to command his subordinates.Most importantly,marrying into the family gives the Sultan greater trust in Nappy's loyalty.

In addition,the history book is entitled "The Life and Death of Napolyon Bey Pasha".This means that he never became anything higher than a Bey Pasha.Although,it wouldn't be impossible for Nappy to become an entity similar to the Khedive of Egypt,the hereditary ruler of a de facto independent region of the empire.

In case of Gordon Pasha I assume thats largely because he was basically serving British interests ;)

I had not remembered the style as bey, but IF thats Bey is siply an translation of European wriete the originakl could be "Bey Efendi" which would make Nappy the husband of an imperial princess ;)

Richter con Manthofer- Yeah Napolyon on the side of the Ottomans is a huge boon. However to reach the highes florentine conversion to Islam is a must, although That isn't a big deal to Napolyon, especially considering his thoughts in Egpty IOTL.

Darthdanta-I agree with you on basically all your points, although one problem which is from my end, His name is Napolyon Bey Bonaparte. Originally my plan was different, so when I planned the Intro and Chapter I I used Napolyon Bey Pasha instead of Napolyon Bey Bonaparte. He may hold other titles, but that's what I will refer to him as. Completely my fault, sorry for that. :(

Berat2beti- Next update will cover the war with Russia, and you will see what happens then.

Quimporte- Thanks! Glad you enjoy it.

Fasquardon- With someone to check him, Napolyon is in a bit stronger position. As for France, I cannot say it is lookin good.

As for Chapter 2, it is well on its way, but it is a big update. To clear this up now, his name is Napolyon Bey Bonaparte, while he may hold other titles historically, this is the name I will refer to him as. Sorry for any mistakes, I had a different plan when I planned the Intro and Chapter I, and never rememebered to change his name when my plans changed later on.

Just finished reading this, will be following closely, i really like it.
And im wondering about the Russian campaign, theres too many Nappy can grab from russians :p