Status
Not open for further replies.
Like to think I have something here but for now it's still in the WIP stage. Based off this DBWI.
bX5GgIf.png

Latest snapshot from my ongoing YouTube series on history of Poland. I'm going very in depth in these, including literally every border change that occurs across the years. So if anyone needs help with OTL medieval Poland and it's shitloads of minor duchies and stuff, I can help. ;)

Schowek01_zps4s3clyip.png

Could you link to that previous map?

Here you go.

Also, wouldn't the UK have England & Wales as being the third portion of the union or have it be Britain?
I imagine when I see the contemporary map it will explain a bit on just how things went down.

That's actually a mistake, at this point it's still the UKGBNI, the change does not come until later on, though I have'nt decided if Wales will end-up a constituent part of remain considered (an autonomous) part of England.

And I see that at this point the Portuguese ditched their rather expensive colony of Guinea.

Guinea-Bissau was the first Portuguese Overseas Province to gain independence as the Portuguese leadership was able to read the tea leaves as it were and decided that it was not worth trying to hold onto it, however it will not be the last, though the others will be on more friendly terms.

Did you decide not to show the British bases on Cyprus because it might over complicate things to show the Russian and American bases everywhere as well?

I actually don't show the Sovereign Base Areas on the GCS map in general since they're to small to show without completely distorting the shape of Cyprus.

That in mind, did the Russians give up Port Arthur and the Trans Siberian Railroad in Manchuria to that Red state there, or is it basically the same?

Port Arthur is under the sovereignty of the People's Republic of Manchuria (originally the PRC, it dropped its claims to all of China in 1970), however the Soviets use it as a Naval base (not that the PRM could (or would) do anything about it anymore than OTL Warsaw Pact Poland could); the TSR is fully within the USSR as OTL.

And why do the Russians have multiple Mongol-type SSRs?

The Buryat SSR came into existence prior to Mongolia becoming an SSR (in 1958) and the Tuvan SSR is considered a 'brother culture' to the two, rather than the same (think Sweden-Norway-Denmark), while the Buryat SSR was not only seen this way but was also home to large minorities of other ethnicities.

What is the grey line near Beijing for? A new Great Wall?

That shows the area claimed by the PR of Manchuria.

Have the Chinese and Indians gotten over their border disputes, expect for the minor area they do not border at?
[/quote]

The Chinese stopped claiming parts of India after pressure from the West (who was supporting them against the ChiComs during the Civil War) and later on did not start claiming them again due to their being no real sentiment for it and China-India relations becoming better and closer.

Any grand story for the fate of Berlin and why Vienna is still international?

Berlin was captured by the Soviets in total, resulting in it being fully part of East Germany; Vienna is this TL's version of Berlin, captured by the Western Allies (though unlike Berlin, captured in full) while the surrounding territory was under Soviet occupation, eventually leading to Vienna being an exclave of the Republic of Austria surrounded by the Austrian People's Republic.

Does the UN only administer the Spratly Islands and help Kaisai or do they have missions in other places as well?

At the time of the map the only place the UN fully administers are the Spratly Islands, while the Pacific Mandate is legally a United Nations Mandate Territory administered by the United States as per OTL; the United Nations Mission to the Autonomous Kasai Region (UNMAKR) is the only full UN mission in 1975.

What is the situation like in Albania?

Semi-free authoritarian democracy, basically so long as you're not a Communist, Communist Sympathiser or overtly oppose the established order you're more or less free and can vote for whatever (not banned) party you want.

And, very importantly, why are the Soviets claiming a large area in Antarctica where American explorers seemed to concentrate their efforts in?
Not that it is the most valuable place, but it seems off they decide to concentrate on an area claimed by the Chileans and Argentinians, while leaving a nice buffer for the Soviets.

The area the Soviets claim is part of OTL Marie Byrd Land, the only part of Antarctica not claimed IOTL and at the time was one of the unclaimed areas and American exploration by the point had been limited; basically the Soviets claim part of it for the same reasons as the OTL countries not close to it do.

The American claim was a counter to the Soviet claim; America's relations with Chile and Argentina are not close (Argentina prefers being neutralish, plus the whole Falklands thing and the Chilean's are suspicious of America after a failed coup attempt in the 60's by an American-backed group) so the counter claims are'nt really hindering any diplomatic projects America might have.

And by the looks of it, they even got the British to drop their claim to the Antarctic Peninsula.

They did, yes as a result of not only supporting Britain's claim to the remainder but also clearly stating they back the Falklands being a British Territory.

Interesting with Dutch Guiana. Both in dropping their claims to their neighbors and their still being orange. Did the Dutch not end up with a left-leaning government pushing to give them independence?

The Dutch by the late 60's had no interest in continually claiming uninhabited jungle far from any population centers and thus dropped the claims; the Netherlands did have Center-Left governments, but none that were obsessed with forced decolonization.

And how did Sudan get powerful enough to take that coastal land Egypt claimed and de facto owns IOTL?

IOTL the Hala'ib Triangle has actually only been fully under Egyptian control since the mid-90's; ITTL Sudan marched troops in during a political crisis in Egypt and took control; this would not remain though as the 2015 map shows.

Come to think of it, how did South African manage to get up the mountains to conquer Lesotho? Seems like it would annoy the British and just give themselves a lot of angry Africans.

That's an error, Lesotho would not become part of South Africa until 2003.

Is Pakistan still united? And what is the story with American Taiwan? And did the Americans get the Japanese to keep the southern Kuriles, while that one small island went to Korea?

Bangladesh seceded (with Indian and covert Western backing) in 1958 due to a failed coup attempt in Pakistan lead to the country falling into chaos in 1955.

America did'nt turn Taiwan over to the Nationalists immediately and, after relations between China and America cooled some and America considered what to do they ultimately gave Taiwan independence (the Taiwanese not wanting to be part of China, with a good many remembering the Japanese era positively and fearing what becoming part of China would lead to), of course the socioeconomic and political situation that it existed in it became an 'Associate State' to the United States.

The Soviets were not quite as focused on Asia initially (hence their slightly more successful position in Europe), which lead to the islands being split.

The Liancourt Rocks were given to Korea as they were seen as having held active sovereignty over them prior to becoming part of Japan; America pressured Japan to not claim them in later years.

Is Qatar in the UAE, or did Qatar and/or the UAE just retain separate claims for land the Saudis seized? Certainly would have some effect on regional hegemony. And are my eyes deceiving me or does Jordan have a longer coastline? Hope it doesn't seem like nit picking, it is just the small details that often offer up the best stories.

Qatar is an independent state and the UAE never stopped claiming the extended border.

And yes, Jordan has a slightly longer coastline as a result of a somewhat different border realignment with Saudi Arabia.

And no, it's not nitpicking to me, I have no issue answering questions, indeed it helps me flesh out details.

You know what this page needs? Another large map!

siva5_by_keperry012-datmikx.png

This here is the Siva-5 setting from the GURPS Infinite Worlds: Lost Worlds supplement. The premise is an Indian-dominated world and the PoD is the Han Empire accidentally contacting the Indo-Greek Bactrian kingdom in 138 BC, leading to a Chinese-Bactrian alliance and by extension the preservation and flourishing of Indo-Greek culture (while at the same time redirecting all the steppe nomads away from Central Asia and into Europe). Europe and eventually China languish but the Indian nations (plus Japan) thrive and extend their reach across the world both politically and culturally. In the 18th century the militant populist Bhaktiya sect of Hinduism arises in Indonesia and a Bhaktiyan state based in Bali tries and fails to conquer the whole Indian Ocean, but the egalitarian ideas they spread plus the upheaval of the war spark 19th century revolutions, first in northern India for independence from the Kushan Empire and then in the Kushan Empire itself, establishing the democracy of Taxila in the former and the oligarchic Kushan Consortium in the latter. Upheaval throughout the 1800s culminates in another Balinese war at the end of the century, with Taxila leading the successful charge against Bali and subsequently riding a postwar boom to become the world's premier power, sparking ideological conflict across the world...

All that broad outline is in the book, most of the details apart from the major powers are mine; please forgive my terrible, terrible attempts at Indian-sounding names. The book says that this world has advanced biotech but doesn't go into any further detail; apart from that the tech level is basically equivalent to the same time (1947) in OTL.

Latest snapshot from my ongoing YouTube series on history of Poland. I'm going very in depth in these, including literally every border change that occurs across the years. So if anyone needs help with OTL medieval Poland and it's shitloads of minor duchies and stuff, I can help. ;)

Would love that series in English/ English Subtitles

I like Lithuania's very simple look.

Thanks - that's just a footsoldier, various Grand Dukes are more elaborate. ;)

BionicWilliam said:
Would love that series in English/ English Subtitles

I plan to open new channel with English version of my materials (maps/text/narration) in 2017. Just have to polish my English a little bit, since I haven't spoken it in years. ;)

Thanks - that's just a footsoldier, various Grand Dukes are more elaborate. ;)
I plan to open new channel with English version of my materials (maps/text/narration) in 2017. Just have to polish my English a little bit, since I haven't spoken it in years. ;)

What's your channel name?

This is a map I made based off of the book The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia, by Alexander Dugin (or at least the summaries I could find).

The book is pretty much a plan for Russia to dominate the world, and end the control of the "Atlanticist powers" of the US and UK. This is accomplished by isolating the United States, getting the UK out of the EU, dismantling China and Turkey, and annexing lands that he thinks Russia should have. The Wikipedia article has a pretty concise summary of the finer details, so I won't repeat them here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics).

Because this whole scenario is pretty ASB, I haven't made a detailed write up, but maybe I will eventually; for now, there's this:

• Russian intelligence agencies manage to get a successive wave of isolationist presidents elected. Coupled with Russian infiltrators causing racial tension across the US (Russian agents disguising themselves as police officers and executing people on the streets, then assassinating cops watching over the resulting protests), and recession after recession, the US is more concerned with internal affairs than playing world police man.
  • The UK withdraws from the EU, again due to Russian meddling, and has to deal with an economic crises and a new wave of both Irish as well as Scottish terrorism (guess who).
  • Far right parties rise up in both France and Germany, both of which are glad to see the UK leave, and both of which feel little obligation to defend the Eastern members of NATO.
  • Russia exerts it's dominance over Ukraine, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland. Germany is bought off with Kaliningrad as well as influence over Estonia, while France is plied with favorable access to Russian energy.
  • All this global uncertainty is causing a massive recession in China, as well as an upsurge in separatism in the outer regions. Russia takes advantage, and China is unable to do much of anything. They accept the Russian compensation dominance over southeast Asia and the pacific.
  • Japan is afraid of China's new aggressive posture, and with the Americans preoccupied in North America, they almost leap at Russia's offer of the Kurils and an alliance.
  • With the help of Iran and Armenia, the Caucasus are divvied up, and the Kurds are given independence from Turkey.
  • The Russians are welcomed into the Balkans by Eastern Orthodox Christians who are tired of Western Decadence and oppression (at least that's how it's reported).
And there you have it: Russian Dominance over most of Eurasia, and the end of Atlanticist United States as the global hegemon.

foundations.png

This is a map I made based off of the book The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia, by Alexander Dugin (or at least the summaries I could find).

The book is pretty much a plan for Russia to dominate the world, and end the control of the "Atlanticist powers" of the US and UK. This is accomplished by isolating the United States, getting the UK out of the EU, dismantling China and Turkey, and annexing lands that he thinks Russia should have. The Wikipedia article has a pretty concise summary of the finer details, so I won't repeat them here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics).

Because this whole scenario is pretty ASB, I haven't made a detailed write up, but maybe I will eventually; for now, there's this:

• Russian intelligence agencies manage to get a successive wave of isolationist presidents elected. Coupled with Russian infiltrators causing racial tension across the US (Russian agents disguising themselves as police officers and executing people on the streets, then assassinating cops watching over the resulting protests), and recession after recession, the US is more concerned with internal affairs than playing world police man.
  • The UK withdraws from the EU, again due to Russian meddling, and has to deal with an economic crises and a new wave of both Irish as well as Scottish terrorism (guess who).
  • Far right parties rise up in both France and Germany, both of which are glad to see the UK leave, and both of which feel little obligation to defend the Eastern members of NATO.
  • Russia exerts it's dominance over Ukraine, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland. Germany is bought off with Kaliningrad as well as influence over Estonia, while France is plied with favorable access to Russian energy.
  • All this global uncertainty is causing a massive recession in China, as well as an upsurge in separatism in the outer regions. Russia takes advantage, and China is unable to do much of anything. They accept the Russian compensation dominance over southeast Asia and the pacific.
  • Japan is afraid of China's new aggressive posture, and with the Americans preoccupied in North America, they almost leap at Russia's offer of the Kurils and an alliance.
  • With the help of Iran and Armenia, the Caucasus are divvied up, and the Kurds are given independence from Turkey.
  • The Russians are welcomed into the Balkans by Eastern Orthodox Christians who are tired of Western Decadence and oppression (at least that's how it's reported).
And there you have it: Russian Dominance over most of Eurasia, and the end of Atlanticist United States as the global hegemon.

View attachment 301749

China: "Yes, let's trade some of our industrial and agricultural heartland to Russia in exchange for lands filled with fairly poor people who hate us."

(The secret truth? Beijing did the math, that Russia is now plurality Han Chinese. North China will be annexed soon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.