Malê Rising

Malêverse 2100: For Those Who Still Dream
upload_2018-11-1_22-58-52.png

Karl Mwila was bargaining with a customer for a swarm of fireflies when he saw Daliso walking toward his stall.

His eyes flashed to her for only a second, but they still betrayed him: the customer sensed his distraction, heard the new urgency in his bargaining, and bore in for the kill. The contract was settled at a price that was profitable but well below what Karl had hoped to get, and when the customer took his leave, he walked off with a swagger.

Daliso was smiling when she came into the stall; she, too, had seen what happened. She ignored the chairs, sat on a wrecked sidewalk-cleaning bot that Karl was tinkering with, and kept smiling.

Half a minute of that was all Karl could take. “All right,” he said at last. “You obviously know you cost me eight hundred marks, so will you do me the courtesy of telling me why you cost me eight hundred marks?”

Daliso still had the smile on her face. “Come have lunch and all will be revealed.”

She got up and made to leave. For a moment, Karl thought of not following her. But he was hungry, and when someone from the Consistory Space Section came calling, it wasn’t in his nature just to let her walk away. He stood up, set his alarms, and followed in Daliso’s path.

She led the way through the warrens of the gear market, past the piles of parts, the jobbers bargaining over custom machines, the smell of solder and welding fumes, the muttered curses over impromptu repairs, the tourists looking wide-eyed at a place where they could have anything made but that they couldn't quite call polite. Karl almost understood the last of those: he’d studied in Berlin and spent his Wanderjahre in Shanghai and Dakar, and in all those places, they hid their machines behind walls and lived in the carefully-fashioned illusion that their world operated itself. But only almost. The Bazembe didn’t care for that illusion – they liked to see their machines work, to see inside them, to take them apart and put them back together – and Karl was a Muzembe to the core.

The labyrinth opened into a small plaza, and they bought fish with ndiwo from one stall, German cucumber soup from another, shake-shake beer from a third – street food was another taste the Bazembe still had. A family was vacating a table nearby, and they seized it before anyone else could and took the edge off their hunger. For a few moments, Karl sipped his beer and gazed up at the thousand-meter towers of the center city and the High Gardens strung like spiderwebs between them. That neighborhood had been Kanini once; now it was called Mutanda after the world of Chishimba’s imagination [1], and not for the first time, he wondered how consciously the architects of the previous century had had that world in mind.

Daliso saw where he was looking. “At least that far,” she said. “Maybe farther.” Karl looked down and saw that she’d unwrapped the datacloth from her wrist and laid it on the table, and that the circuits woven into its fibers were pulsing.

She made a pass with her hands and an image of the solar system appeared between them; another pass and it zeroed in on a speck of light outside the orbit of Mars; a third and the speck resolved to an irregular object hurtling through space.

“I’ve seen asteroids before,” said Karl. “Pretty, but not worth eight hundred marks.”

“If it were an asteroid, I might agree. But it’s in hyperbolic orbit – it came from outside the solar system. And when we matched its vector of origin against our stellar-trajectory database, it came from…” – she made another pass, and the image above the table was replaced by an F9 sun with six planets – “here.”

Now, Karl leaned in and touched the star with a hesitant hand. Yes, he knew that system. They’d discovered it when he was a child, with two terrestrial planets in the habitable zone and a gas giant in just the right place to send water to them. And at the memory of water, something else flashed through his mind about the image he’d just seen.

“It’s rock, not ice,” he said.

“Yes. It’s an inner-system object. And that’s what I need you for.”

“A probe? I’m flattered, Daliso, but you know I don’t work on that kind of scale…”

“No, not a probe. A component. Something to tell what’s dead from what was never alive.”

Karl put his beer down. “You think there might be living material on that object – fossils.” He didn’t know what the odds of that were – a fraction of one percent would be his guess – but the Kazembe branch of the Space Section dealt in probabilities of that order on a daily basis. “But surely you can already find organic material, DNA... And if you need something custom, you have contractors for that. I’m not a biologist…”

“Yes, yes, and I know. And we have more… traditional components to do exactly that. But if there are life forms on that object, they might not resemble anything we know. They might not be carbon-based. They might code with something other than DNA. Maybe a traditional component wouldn’t recognize them – maybe it would destroy them while it’s looking for something more promising.”

“So you want something non-traditional,” said Karl. It wasn’t a question, it was a statement of fact; at some point during the conversation, without quite knowing it, he’d become fully committed.

“Yes. Something from the gear market – something from you.” Daliso was smiling again, but it wasn’t the same smile as before; she was no longer the cool Space Section mission planner but the neighbor who’d gone on bamwana cha chembe encampments [2] with him when they were both children. “Something that defines life from first principles and looks for its traces.”

“And how should it do that?”

“It’s up to you. Design something, build it, test it. Let us know when you’re done.” She dispelled the star and its planets with a wave and put her hand on the datacloth, and he put his own hand next to hers, sealing the contract. “You’re on a draw and expense account as of now, and I’ve added eight hundred marks for your trouble.”

Daliso’s smile was back to what it had been at the beginning, and Karl flushed. “Don’t worry about it. The man didn’t get the better of me nearly as much as he thought he did.”

“I’m sure he didn’t.” She looked at him with frank curiosity. “What did you sell him?”

Karl pulled a small, buzzing thing of metal from his pocket, and Daliso saw that it had been fitted with jerry-built wings. “A thousand of these – to fly around and flash colors, make scenes in the air, act out stories. He says they’re for his daughter, but I suspect he’ll use them more than she will.”

“He never grew out of imagining?” Daliso nodded. “A true Muzembe. Build me something that imagines life.”

#​

Between customers – the Space Section didn't pay that much, and there were things that citizen sharing credit couldn't buy – Karl made one machine and then another. When he was finished, two weeks after the meeting with Daliso, he rented a motor-wagon and took them to the wilderness.

The wagon drove him out of Ndola on the main Barotseland road, through the southern and western suburbs and the fringing farmland. He turned off the highway a hundred kilometers from town, where the farms had long since given way to miombo woodland, and soon afterward the road was nothing but a dirt track.

He had to drive himself the rest of the way; the off-road trails weren't on most rental vehicles' maps. He hadn't driven in years, but the skill returned quickly and the joy even more so, and he took the rutted track slowly, making way for migrating impalas and listening to the vervets' chirping calls. He came to a stretch of broken pavement by a watering hole and a herd of brown cattle whose ancestors might have belonged to his, and two kilometers further up the road, a village that the woodland had spent the past fifty years reclaiming.

He grounded the wagon at the village’s edge and prepared to make camp. It was far from the first such ruin he’d seen, and they never failed to put him in an elegiac mood. There were a million fewer people in Kazembe now than there’d been a hundred years ago, and unlike the Basotho or the Boers, the Bazembe didn’t cling to the countryside. Once, villages like this had dotted the country, but nearly all of them were gone, and that part of the country not devoted to agriculture or mining was a wildlife preserve. We owe it to the animals, Karl supposed – the elephants’ and big cats’ recovery from their brush with extinction at mid-century was painfully slow – but there were houses here that nobody tended and stories that no one remembered anymore.

He wondered sometimes if humanity even needed the stars – if an aging and dwindling race filled less of the earth every year, what need had it of the worlds beyond? He’d met plenty of people who thought that way during his Wanderjahre. But he was a Muzembe, and the Bazembe still dreamed of the stars and always would. There was a reason why, despite being one seventh of one percent of the people who lived on earth, they were nineteen percent of those who’d left it.

With that thought still in mind, Karl unloaded his machines from the wagon bed and began setting them to their tasks. The first, which he had somewhat blasphemously named Lesa, was equipped with as many definitions of life as he could find, but had been carefully wiped clean of all knowledge of any specific life form. The second, Luchyele, was the opposite: it was trained to know and recognize all living things known to science, but knew nothing of life as a category. Could any of the concepts known to Lesa enable it to pick out living things unerringly, or could Luchyele, by examining life forms, find the things that all life had in common?

There was only one way to learn, and with a word of command, he sent them on their way. From the shade of a miombo tree, he watched them at their work, adjusting their instructions to ensure that they wouldn't disturb or harm the living things they analyzed. They were soon out of sight and by evening they were hundreds of meters away, but Karl stayed the night to confirm that they were working and reporting as designed. In the morning he went out and found them – Lesa was examining a blade of grass, and Luchyele contemplating a cane-rat burrow – and, content, he drove home.

It was two weeks before he called on Daliso. This time, he rented a fiacre and it drove him the whole way; the Space Section offices were at Chilengwa na Lesa lake, and the road between there and Ndola had been traveled for hundreds of years. At the near end of the lake were the inkunka – the huts – where the Wandervögel and the eagle-children, the bamwana cha chembe, had camped for the better part of two centuries, and at the far end, near the place where Kazembe had launched its first sounding rocket, were the low buildings of the Consistory campus.

The Space Section had other offices and larger ones. Karl had been to the vast complex in Paris that managed the installations in near-earth orbit and the facility at Kismayo that supplied the Moon and Mars colonies, and there were also the bureau in Washington that licensed asteroid mining and registered claims and the buildings in Singapore where the entities with interests in space kept their embassies. But Chilengwa na Lesa was the domain of the dreamers. Here were the outer-system probes with lifetimes measured in centuries; the missions planned on thousand-year calendars; the teams searching for technologies that might take centuries to develop if they ever did; the scale models of cloud cities on Venus and self-sustaining Titan habitats. Here were datacloths hung like tapestries on the walls, patterned like stylized lukasa memory-boards or scenes from the Starwind Cycle; here were engineers and visionaries walking quietly through corridors, moved to silence by the weight of time.

At the end of one such corridor was a door that bore the legend "Daliso Chibanda," and beyond the door an airy workroom. Daliso herself was at a table, tinkering with the image of a spacecraft – the probe, Karl was sure, that the Consistory would send to the extra-solar object.

"Your component will go here, if you have one," she said, indicating a space between two sensor suites. "Do you have one?"

"Yes. I'm not sure how much good it will do, but I have one."

Daliso perched on the back of a chair – smiling, this time, like the Mona Lisa – and motioned him to the sofa. "So tell me."

"Lesa and Luchyele cross-referenced well enough," Karl said. "They each found what the other knew. But the commonalities they found all had to do with what life does, not what it is. Growth, metabolism, reproduction – if there's something on that object that doesn't have anything we would recognize as cells or organs, and if we can't trace its parts through any known evolutionary line, how would we know if it did any of those things?"

Daliso nodded. "But?"

"There are ways that might work in some cases. Evolution, for instance – if there's more than one type of possible life, we can look for signs that one evolved from the other. And if there isn't more than one, or we can't find common threads… Luchyele thinks that all life has to have some kind of coding mechanism. It didn't come up with any certain way to tell coding from random complexity, but there are some kinds of patterns that it thinks are more likely than not. I'm not sure if it's what you asked for, but it's better than nothing."

"Better than nothing, yes. And better than I'd hoped for. Can you have a finished component for me in ten days?"

"So soon?" Karl asked. If he'd known that the launch timetable was so close… but no, maybe it was better that Daliso hadn't told him. She'd obviously been prepared to do without the component if necessary, and a rush job would have been worse than nothing. So, rather than waiting for an answer, he nodded.

"Good," she said. "And when you have time, keep working. I'll continue your contract, and maybe we can have something better for the next object we find. There will be one, sometime between now and forever."

#​

It was six months before Karl heard from Daliso again. He'd gone to bargain for some antique computer parts, and the message was waiting when he returned to his stall: "meet me at home."

He had to unfold his datacloth to find where home was for her: they'd lived next door to each other when they were children on the Northrise, but he'd long since lost track of where she lived. The address that came up was in Mutanda, and an hour later, Karl joined the crowd of returning commuters waiting for the elevators at Mailo Tower.

Daliso had four rooms on level 122 with a panoramic window looking out at the mountains – space wasn't at a premium in Ndola and hadn't been for decades, so the rooms were spacious and comfortably furnished. All the same, they didn't stay long. "It's too nice an evening to stay inside," she said, not brooking dissent. "We'll go up to the garden."

Go up they did, to the highest of the High Gardens, set on a bridge eight hundred meters above the city. It was laid out formally in a style that suggested Asia, with acacias and imported flowers adding scent to the mild breeze. There were other scents too, and they followed one to a stall where they bought glasses of Riesling and skewers of beef; the beef didn’t come from a cow, but it was crafted, as carefully as any machine in the gear market, to taste like the meat that villagers might have cooked in the days of Kazembe's first kings.

They sat, looking down to the northern suburbs and the hills beyond, and Karl waited to learn Daliso's news. She would tell him in her own time, he knew, and after they had spoken of inconsequential things for a while, she did. "There was nothing," she said - she spoke lightly, but the disappointment was plain. "Nothing that even might have been alive, or else life so far beyond what we can imagine that it might as well not be."

"It was always a small chance…"

"It was. And the next time, we'll know more."

"Next time," Karl repeated. "But this time…" He reached into his pockets and cast a double handful of the metal fireflies into the air, and then two more handfuls after that. They glowed and swarmed, forming an image of the object from beyond the sun, flashing with patterns that Luchyele and Lesa had thought might carry the codes for life. One pattern followed another, creatures growing and changing and evolving into forms beyond fantasy. They stood – Daliso smiling like a child now – and the swarm encircled them, and they remained until the lights faded and it disappeared into the unknown.
________

[1] See post 6033.

[2] See post 4746.

Art: Julie Dillon, The Future of Human Aging (2014)

Last edited:
Kazembe is one of my favourite places in the Malêverse, well done. Even though, the fact that humanity was described as a dying race is a chilling other side of the coin to this Star Trek-like snapshot of the Bazembe's future. Since Bazembe make up an unusually high percentage of space colonists, I wouldn't be surprised if the lingua franca of Mars or the Moon were peppered with Bantu and Germanic words.

Another thought-provoking story, Jonathan. Alien life being unknowable or unrecognizable to human or mechanical conception... that is something we need to consider regarding interstellar exploration.

Kazembe is one of my favourite places in the Malêverse, well done. Even though, the fact that humanity was described as a dying race is a chilling other side of the coin to this Star Trek-like snapshot of the Bazembe's future. Since Bazembe make up an unusually high percentage of space colonists, I wouldn't be surprised if the lingua franca of Mars or the Moon were peppered with Bantu and Germanic words.

Oh, I think the imagery of humanity as dying is just Karl's mood and a specific setting. In general OTL human population has surged already to a level that is a heavy strain on the global ecosystems; something similar must be happening to the Male'Verse. They have a stronger earlier surge due to industrial related tech permeating more societies sooner, nerfed a bit by greater political agency especially for women kicking in the reining in phase sooner as well. Anyway global populations in the range 7-10 billion are quite high. People freely making choices about family size will I think result in a marked decline from such peaks leveling off at maybe half current levels, perhaps even lower.

So a phase of declining net population is not at all a sign of humanity dying out! It is a sign of us finding a viable level rather.

Meanwhile Kazembe is in central Africa, and as we know to our sorrow Jonathan did not butterfly away HIV; to the contrary "Congo Fever" impacted the world nearly a century before it did OTL, and hits Africa especially hard. The "elegiac" sense, in which population decline is not so much about controlling births as unwanted early deaths, I think comes from that; perhaps one reason Bazembe embrace star colonization is a cultural high fertility model to offset the high death rate.

So death amid life is something a Bazembe artist-craftsman will be very sensitive about, but there is no reason to doubt the human species is at the very start of a long phase of galactic and cosmic expansion.

Awesome as always.

Excellent, though the first image appears broken.

Thank you! There's only supposed to be one image - I'm not sure why the other image tag is there and I can't make it go away, but it can be safely disregarded. (ETA: got rid of it!)

Another thought-provoking story, Jonathan. Alien life being unknowable or unrecognizable to human or mechanical conception... that is something we need to consider regarding interstellar exploration.

Thanks! There were a couple of inspirations for this story aside from the Malêverse canon; one was a recent presentation which mentioned that we now have enough data on stellar movement to trace some extra-solar objects to a probable point of origin, and the other was an article about the boundaries of life in which I noticed that the possible definitions were nearly all functional rather than structural. I do have some preconceptions in that regard - for instance, I think that extra-solar life would need something like cells to keep out the ambient environment, and as mentioned in the story, I can't imagine life without some form of genetic coding - but I'd argue that if we ever get to the point of seriously looking for alien life, we have to be ready for nearly anything.

The Malêverse isn't quite at that point in 2100 - the technology for interstellar probes isn't yet there, and extra-solar objects that wander into the solar system are slim chances indeed - but as can be seen, the Consistory takes a very long view.

Oh, I think the imagery of humanity as dying is just Karl's mood and a specific setting. In general OTL human population has surged already to a level that is a heavy strain on the global ecosystems; something similar must be happening to the Male'Verse. They have a stronger earlier surge due to industrial related tech permeating more societies sooner, nerfed a bit by greater political agency especially for women kicking in the reining in phase sooner as well. Anyway global populations in the range 7-10 billion are quite high. People freely making choices about family size will I think result in a marked decline from such peaks leveling off at maybe half current levels, perhaps even lower.

So a phase of declining net population is not at all a sign of humanity dying out! It is a sign of us finding a viable level rather.

Meanwhile Kazembe is in central Africa, and as we know to our sorrow Jonathan did not butterfly away HIV; to the contrary "Congo Fever" impacted the world nearly a century before it did OTL, and hits Africa especially hard. The "elegiac" sense, in which population decline is not so much about controlling births as unwanted early deaths, I think comes from that; perhaps one reason Bazembe embrace star colonization is a cultural high fertility model to offset the high death rate.

So death amid life is something a Bazembe artist-craftsman will be very sensitive about, but there is no reason to doubt the human species is at the very start of a long phase of galactic and cosmic expansion.

As Shevek23 says, humanity is a long way from dying, but IMO this kind of melancholy will exist in the background, to at least some degree, in any period of sustained population decline. I've mentioned that the global population in TTL's present was in the high five billions - it was higher than OTL during the first half of the twentieth century, but fell behind during the second half as the demographic shift became complete across more of the world. It hit six billion around 2030 but the next milestone, in 2050, was six billion again on the way down; by 2100, it's a bit over five billion and falling. There are empty houses, abandoned villages, land gone back to forest, and despite pronatalist campaigns in some countries, there's no immediate end in sight. Maybe it will ultimately level off, but that's in the future, and when falling populations are combined with an aging society and widespread rewilding, I think it's inevitable that there will be a sense of humanity in retreat.

I agree that Kazembe's experience as an early Congo fever epicenter, and the fact that its last experience with falling populations resulted from a plague, will add to the elegiac sense (and as you say, might be one of the reasons why Kazembe is so forward in space exploration), but I suspect it would be there regardless, and would be a significant cultural thread even as humanity embarks on its first steps to the stars.

Anyway, the Bazembe would probably consider Star Trek a bit antiseptic for their taste - they're still a mining colony made good and they like to get their hands dirty. And yes, Chizembe (the national language of Kazembe, which is mainly Chilamba but picked up words from German and the neighboring Bantu languages during the twentieth century) is very influential in space, and we may see some of that in another Malêverse 2100 story.

What's religion like in the future?

Do we follow the Rema or the Brit Yosef on lab-grown meat of birds, and what does the Ben Ish Chai have to say about Abacarism?

"Elegy for an Oasis" (post 7181) touches on religion, and so will some of the other 2100 stories, so watch this space. (And the halacha question is fascinating, but I'll need to do some research before getting back to you on it - I'd expect that, as usual, there will be rabbis on both sides of the issue, although pragmatism will favor lab-grown meat being recognized as kosher.)

Last edited:
FINALLY

Over the last two months I managed to finish reading this masterpiece, one of the few timelines on AH that managed to keep me interested for more than a month. This is really a timeline that feels alive.

Also I am very happy to see it continuing into the future as someone who’s a futurist at heart I look forward to see where this goes.

One question though is genetic engineering acceptable for humans at this point and if so to what extent?

One question though is genetic engineering acceptable for humans at this point and if so to what extent?

I touched on this briefly in post 7158: "On the one hand, positive eugenics have never been entirely discredited ITTL and futurist ideologies will want to push the boundaries of being human just as they want to explore the frontiers of technology and physical space. On the other hand, many TTL's political and religious currents - the narodniks, the Belloists, the Abacarists, and others that might be grouped under the "progressive traditionalist" banner - also include a strong emphasis on continuity with the past and would be wary of technology's potential to constrain freedom. There might be both significant transhumanist movements and significant Luddite movements, and along with the globalist-localist divide, this could indeed become one of the major political divisions of the late century."

I'd add to this that there will probably be a sliding scale of acceptance. There will probably be relatively little controversy over "curative" genetic engineering to prevent birth defects or hereditary diseases (especially the devastating ones such as Tay-Sachs). Engineering to prevent conditions that don't amount to defects - for instance, tweaks to prevent nearsightedness or make it easier to lose weight - will be more controversial. And augmenting humanity to be stronger/taller/smarter will be most controversial of all, with very strong opposition and very likely bans in many places - although, like any other contraband, this would create an underground market and an opening for organized crime.

When the Malêverse 2100 series gets around to Ilorin, which is a major center of the life sciences and biotech, I'll probably touch on some of these themes and their interaction with politics and religion.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Any thoughts you might have on the story as a whole or particular parts of it are welcome. Also, I always ask new readers if anything stands out as a Crowning Moment of Awesome or Heartwarming, or conversely if anything really didn't work - yes, I'm fishing for praise, but I also like to know what works and what doesn't so that I do better going forward.

Anyway, thanks for reading! Any thoughts you might have on the story as a whole or particular parts of it are welcome. Also, I always ask new readers if anything stands out as a Crowning Moment of Awesome or Heartwarming, or conversely if anything really didn't work - yes, I'm fishing for praise, but I also like to know what works and what doesn't so that I do better going forward.
Moment of awesome: that’s a tricky one but if I had to pick , it would be the formation of the Niger Union. In many ways it was Usman’s dream finally coming true and a vindication of his ideals.

Heartwarming one : A bit biased here since it’s my home country but the Alexandria interlude though it was also tear jerking because I can only lament what we lost IOTL.

Anyways as someone who’s studying in a biotechnology major I will probably comment a lot on the subject of gene editing and the like. Maybe I will try to write a guest post on the history of gene engineering if the occasion comes up

Shoot, just when I wanted to update the Malê Rising records page, I'd forgotten my password and have the conformation email swallowed up by the Net! If anyone could update the page, it'll be really appreciated.

By 2100, the Malêverse has been to Mars and back; there is probably a permanent base there (or more than one) and expanding bases on the moon. Maybe mining of near-Earth asteroids for rare earth metals, which are the only ones for which space mining would be remotely economically viable.
I think you mean platinum-group metals. I don't think there's been too many serious proposals to mine asteroids for rare-earth metals because they're not really that rare or expensive, whereas platinum-group metals are that rare and certainly that expensive. And (metallic) asteroids are expected to have much larger concentrations of these than would be typical in Earth's crust because most of these metals are siderophilic and sank into the core during Earth's formation, whereas such asteroids are likely to be fragments of protoplanetary cores or at least not large enough for the gold, platinum, etc. to concentrate inaccessibly deep.

Last edited:

xsampa

Banned
Are there any specific African countries that have significant cultural influence on the West, broadly defined as the US, Australia and Western Europe? IOTL, this role was taken by various Asian countries whose booming economies led Westerners to assume that their cultural influence would start spreading, and caused interest in them, first Japan in the 80s and more recently, China and India. I'm thinking around from the 1970s when globalization really starts to kick in with the shift from 'a world of nations to a world of regions and confederations' as one of the characters in an Indian episode put so aptly, to the 2000s, long enough for the impact to have become significant over a generation or so.

Anyways as someone who’s studying in a biotechnology major I will probably comment a lot on the subject of gene editing and the like. Maybe I will try to write a guest post on the history of gene engineering if the occasion comes up

It would be great to hear your thoughts on that - just please run any ideas before me before posting.

Shoot, just when I wanted to update the Malê Rising records page, I'd forgotten my password and have the conformation email swallowed up by the Net! If anyone could update the page, it'll be really appreciated.

I figured I'd take care of it myself, but my wiki username and password no longer work, and I see there's an annoying credentialing process to get a new one. If any of you has a current wiki password, would you be willing to add the last couple of updates to the list? If not, then I'll handle it.

I think you mean platinum-group metals.

Yes. Yes I did. Thanks for the correction, and can you point me to any good articles about how the logistics of near-future asteroid mining might work?

Are there any specific African countries that have significant cultural influence on the West, broadly defined as the US, Australia and Western Europe? IOTL, this role was taken by various Asian countries whose booming economies led Westerners to assume that their cultural influence would start spreading, and caused interest in them, first Japan in the 80s and more recently, China and India. I'm thinking around from the 1970s when globalization really starts to kick in with the shift from 'a world of nations to a world of regions and confederations' as one of the characters in an Indian episode put so aptly, to the 2000s, long enough for the impact to have become significant over a generation or so.

This is a question with several answers, given that the strongest African cultural influence depends on what part of the West we're talking about. In the United States, the growth of Afro-Atlantism and the increasing identification of Afro-Caribbean and Southern African-American cultures as part of the Afro-Atlantic region means that the strongest influence would come from those parts of Africa that share the Afro-Atlantic idea, particularly Sierra Leone and Liberia but also the Malê and the various Coaster creole peoples. In France, the greatest influences would be from Senegal and Gabon, albeit in different ways - Senegal is integral to French culture while the Gabonais influence is more countercultural. For Germany, Kazembe; for Russia, Ethiopia; for Portugal, Mozambique and Angola (a case could be made that Afro-Portuguese culture is not merely influential but dominant by the turn of the 21st century).

OTOH, your Japan analogy suggests that you're looking for the African country that has the strongest influence on those parts of the West to which it doesn't have historical ties. In that case, Kazembe by a mile - by the 1970s, it was known outside Africa as a rich and culturally creative country, and although it was much smaller than Japan, the futurist pan-African mythology that its popular culture created was attractive to both the West and other regions of Africa. There's also a case to be made for the Malê states, but their influence on the West as a whole (as opposed to the parts of the West historically connected to them) tended to be subtle and more ideological than cultural. You won't see teenagers in the present-day Malêverse obsessing over movies or video games from Ilorin or Sokoto, whereas pop culture products from Kazembe do have cult followings.

so whats the differences with your future and other futures?

This, OTOH, is a question I'm not sure how to answer at all. I don't know and can't know all other futures (including the many possible futures of OTL), so I can't say what differences this future has or even the extent to which it is different. If you're asking about the difference between this future and other imagined futures, then the only answer I can give is that the future of the Malêverse grows out of its past and is a continuation of the political, social and intellectual changes that took place there between 1840 and 2015. It has many points in common with other imagined near futures, simply because certain technological developments are likely to happen across many futures and to influence society in analogous ways, but hopefully, if I've been doing my job right, the root ideas of the Malêverse can be seen.

Speaking of near futures, I hope to have the next 2100 story ready soon - most likely set in the United States, although like all things here, that's subject to change without notice.