Malê Rising

This story has kept me company on many a bored night for the last two years. I miss it already. Thank you so much for all the work put into this, Mr. Edelstein.

And to echo zeppelinair's previous request: I would absolutely love to own a published copy of this some day. I know you downplayed the idea earlier in the thread, but I'm still holding out hope for it!

Thanks, everyone. It's been a marvelous pleasure to write this timeline over the past four years, and I've learned a great deal from the discussions. It's time to move on, but I also miss the Malêverse already.

For those who may have missed it, the third and final part of the epilogue is on the previous page at post 6903; comment is of course welcome, as is sharing of other memories.

At this point, I'm declaring the Malêverse open to all: if you want to set stories or gap-fillers there, please do, although I reserve the right to decide what's canonical and what isn't. A couple of people have suggested that I start a "stories from the Malêverse" thread, and if there's interest, I'll do so. If you have any ideas you want to run by me, the door is always open. I'll probably return to this world myself every now and then when there are stories to tell.

On the ebook issue: I'm still not sure the story would work in that format (with the exception of the Great War arc, which is a coherent albeit somewhat Turtledove-esque narrative), but one thing I've been discussing off-list is a series of five ebooks with a few bonus stories in each one. It would be a lot of work, though, so I'd want to be reasonably sure I could sell a couple hundred copies of each volume before I got started. I also can't promise a timetable, although I'd try to get the first volume out within a couple of months. If there's interest, you can PM or email me or we can discuss it here.

Thanks again to all of you who've followed this story since January 2012, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Jonathan, this timeline possibly represents the triumph of the form. Certainly, I don't think that anything on the site comes close to its humanism. It's been a pleasure to have spent the past few years looking for updates, and I know that I won't be the only person to reread it in the future.

Congratulations, and good luck with whatever comes next.

I've only occasionally commented on this timeline but have been an avid reader relatively early on, and I must say how impressed I am with this piece of work. This website has been around for a while now and as accrued a lot of really capable writers, but only a small number of timelines can really be called genre defining in the way that Malê Rising can be. In fact I would go so far as to say that this has been the seminal work of the 2010's on AH.com, and if/when enough time passes that it will be possible to list Malê Rising as one of the most important chapters in the history of the genre and indactive of an important part of its evolution.

To make a comparison with a previous work on the page which most of us (at least most of us who've taken the time to read 'The Literature') would also describe as genre defining, that being Decades of Darkness of the 2000's, I think it is clear the ways that Malê Rising represents the next phase in the genre's development. DoD in many ways established with reasonable clarity the format in which most successful timelines are made, that being a combination of 'historical' documents and small eye-witness narratives. This format obviously already existed, but was so successfully implimented in that timeline that it has become rare that any successful TL, including this one of course, strays too far from this path.

What Malê Rising rising does which is novel is massively expand the scope of cultures and locations that are given a generous and interesting treatment. Putting Africa centrestage, with places like South America and the Pacific also enjoying a great deal of good press, and combining it with excellent writing and a compelling narrative, has put an enormous crack in what I'd call the AH-glass ceiling. A problem with English-language AH is that, without malice or prejudice, many of this genres readers and contributers simply know very little about the non-European parts of the world. I'll openly confess that I did not know that there were cohesive inland African states in many of the parts of Africa explored ITTL prior to reading it. The success of this timeline is not just that it gives these parts of the world a fair go, it educates its readers and the skillful depiction of them make their histories and modern plights all the more compelling. It's also a little ironic that this wonderful timeline is coming to an end just after the rather contraversial departure of some of our more extreme aggressive progressives, given that it creates a real hole in their argument.

All in all I'd say that not only has this been a greatly enjoyable timeline to read, but that it has been a fascinating experience to see the genre shift and expand before one's eyes. This website is one of the most successful online literary communities, and it earns the epithet thanks to works like Jonathan Edelstine's Malê Rising.

It's funny that, despite all the differences, TTL also has a 2C goal on climate change, arbitrary as that is in OTL...
Otherwise, what can I say that hasn't been said already? Only that I hope that this isn't closed, that you'll return to the Malêverse, and that I'd absolutely like a story thread. Thank you for this great work of art!

Last edited:
...And I am late to see this piece have it's soaring sendoff. Ah well.

Everyone else have already said what I wanted to say, so I'll just say this: Thank you. For inspiring us, teaching us, and entertaining us for these past four years.

Thank you.

They say it's easier to show things getting worse than getting better: so you really lived up to the challenge with this TL, Johnathan. Great job.

Thanks again, everyone.

I do like that it's the American remaining silent at the meeting of an organisation that has achieved a global presence via enviromentalism. Loved that.

It's funny that, despite all the differences, TTL also has a 2C goal on climate change, arbitrary as that is in OTL...

Yeah, the 2C goal is arbitrary. On the other hand, climate change got started earlier ITTL and progressed farther before we got the technology to deal with it. Lower 21st-century populations and a greater coordinated effort have mitigated that somewhat, but not entirely, and there's also the expected resistance from oil and gas interests. So I figure that the world in 2015 would be in roughly the same position in terms of climate as OTL, meaning that an organization trying to set a realistic target goal would probably still come up with something in the 2C range. There are plenty of people arguing for 1.5 or 1.75, but that hasn't yet become policy.

And yes, the United States is among the parties more skeptical of what the Consistory Environmental Section is doing. Officially, the section has no governing function, and it can't force anyone to do anything unless permitted by treaty, but when an organization has 1 percent of world GDP to throw around and is coordinating the joint efforts of many governments, it can't help acquiring influence. There are those who are afraid the Environmental Section is the seed of a world government and those who hope it is; neither is true, but those at the skeptical end of the spectrum know that temporary measures have a way of becoming permanent.

What Malê Rising does which is novel is massively expand the scope of cultures and locations that are given a generous and interesting treatment. Putting Africa centrestage, with places like South America and the Pacific also enjoying a great deal of good press, and combining it with excellent writing and a compelling narrative, has put an enormous crack in what I'd call the AH-glass ceiling.

I wasn't the first to do that - Kiat's Songhai timeline (the actual timeline begins at post 93) dates from 2010, and of course Jared's Lands of Red and Gold, while not African, was a rich and detailed timeline that put non-European cultures at center stage. There were plenty of Asian timelines predating Malê Rising as well.

I hope, though, that I helped to crack the glass ceiling. When I first signed up here, I did notice that Africa was seldom mentioned and hardly ever treated in any depth, and the Malêverse was in part an effort to remedy that. There's quite a bit more African content now, and if I helped to open the door, I'll consider that an achievement.

They say it's easier to show things getting worse than getting better: so you really lived up to the challenge with this TL, Johnathan. Great job.

I'll admit that one of the inspirations for this story - there were many - was a rebellion against the idea that dystopian worlds are somehow more honest and interesting than worlds in which people have learned, at least some of the time, to listen to their better nature. There's a Le Guin quote that comes to mind.

Does anyone have a favorite Malêverse moment? Mine is still this one, although there are some close contenders.

Letting the slavers know fear was a powerful, powerful opening line.

I found myself smiling at the narratives and enjoying the flow despite being one of those civilizational pessimists -- unlike many "better worlds" I've seen here, Male Rising was more than simply better results from a similar system -- it rewrote the modern world entirely.

The transition away from Westphalianism -- and the empowerment of the small forces of life, of communities and peoples rather than governments and the rich, warmed the cockles of my blackened, paleocon heart :D

I also enjoyed the mention of In taberna quando sumus and the death of Ibrahim Abacar.

In terms of favourite moments, the one that springs to mind is the forgiving of the Haitian debt just before the Emperor trades away the relevant power.
And the poor wandering Hungarian finally realising he's found a home.

I can honestly say that reading this timeline has been an education. I admit, I'm going to miss it a great deal - but I can't wait to see what you do next. Thank you for a truly inspiring work, JE.

On that last update, I found the scene with Sara in Hyderabad to be my favourite, because it almost perfectly encapsulates how I feel about the end of TTL in a way I can't quite put into words.

I'm actually re-reading TTL from the start, so I'm rediscovering a lot of wonderful moments as I go, but I think for me it's a choice between that glorious literary excerpt which gave birth to the Mutanda-verse and George V's speech on his India visit. The former because it is the absolute high point of a work rich in literary goodness, and the latter because it encapsulates perfectly what you said earlier about people listening to their better natures.

"Let the slavers know fear" and the Muslim civil rights hymn in the first couple updates still give me chills, but my favourite piece of this timeline is still the marriage under fire at the siege of Sarajevo. Human decency and happiness amidst brutality hits all the spots for me.

yboxman

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, this has been a timeline.

Fuck, yeah:cool:. Hope you mine this for publishable novels, or at least more short stories. I wish I had noticed and followed this from the very beginning instead of playing catch-up marathon.

I loved the way you created so many memorable and empathy inducing characters whose personality was so distinct from one another. That, and the redeemed villians.

Hnau

Banned
Wonderful timeline, I regret that I haven't been able to follow it and other AH lately as frequently as I should in the last year or so. I have much to still read, but I've read a several installments here and there until the most recent closing entry, keeping my eye on it. It is amazing to see a TL progress from a fairly distant POD to the very year we now live in. It makes this world seem as though it is really alive, just behind the curtain of our present reality. One of the morals of the story, I would venture to guess at, is something like: good ideas cause people to do good things which inspire new, better ideas to begin the cycle again. Progress is a pump that must be primed, whether by Great People or the inspired masses, or it simply doesn't happen. I see our world as one that had slightly less fortune in creating real progress, while in Malê Rising the positive trends reinforced each other to create a very noticeably different global situation.

If we don't start focusing our own people-power on contributing to these processes of social progress creation, we risk another two hundred years of muddling by with marginal gains. Malê Rising shines a line on what opportunities have already been missed.

Wonderful timeline, I regret that I haven't been able to follow it and other AH lately as frequently as I should in the last year or so. I have much to still read, but I've read a several installments here and there until the most recent closing entry, keeping my eye on it. It is amazing to see a TL progress from a fairly distant POD to the very year we now live in. It makes this world seem as though it is really alive, just behind the curtain of our present reality. One of the morals of the story, I would venture to guess at, is something like: good ideas cause people to do good things which inspire new, better ideas to begin the cycle again. Progress is a pump that must be primed, whether by Great People or the inspired masses, or it simply doesn't happen. I see our world as one that had slightly less fortune in creating real progress, while in Malê Rising the positive trends reinforced each other to create a very noticeably different global situation.

If we don't start focusing our own people-power on contributing to these processes of social progress creation, we risk another two hundred years of muddling by with marginal gains. Malê Rising shines a line on what opportunities have already been missed.

This is the sort of comment that makes me wish for a "like" button in this board. :)