Living Forever Like Ra - a Dynastic Egypt Timeline

chapter 9
Chapter 9 - In The Shadow of Jubilation

"As for the king, the good god, Sekhemkheperure: he is the best of scribes, wise like Djehuty in the ways of the land. He sees into the hearts of men and knows the secrets of the gods. He has spent long in the House of Life, reading the scrolls of ancient times that have come down to us..."

It had been over sixty-five years since a pharaoh had ruled long enough to celebrate a Heb Sed - the thirty-year jubilee that truly elevated a living king to godhood. Neferseshemptah was in fact the first pharaoh since the great Ramesses II to live long enough to celebrate one, and at the end of his thirtieth year on the throne - in January of 1148 BCE by the commonest estimate - he ran the courses as vigorously as if he was young and virile. Indeed, Neferseshemptah seems to have had the good fortune to keep excellent physical health throughout his long life, unlike most of his sons. Senwosret had been carried off by tuberculosis four years earlier, while two others of his sons - one by Gilukhepa and one by a minor wife - had also died in the intervening years. His second son by Great Royal Wife Merytneferet, named Neferseshemptah for his father, had already died by year sixteen, and this left the King with only two surviving sons. One of these was a youth of fourteen, Khaemweset, by a minor wife of the harem. The other was the Great King of Hatti, Mursili - Neferseshemptah's son Amunhotep - who had ruled the Hittite Empire for nine years. He had brought the gods, the language and the culture of Egypt into the very heart of Hatti and slowly, insidiously transformed the nation.

In the process, he had immensely strengthened it too. The Hittite army had been thoroughly reorganised along Egyptian lines. Highly trained, with educated and expert commanders, the new Hittite army was a combination of Egyptian and Hittite warriors, bolstered by former Greek and Phoenician mercenaries, and commanded by skilled men who had largely risen from the ranks. If the majority of commanders were Egyptians few people commented on it: by now it was beginning to seem oddly natural that native Egyptians - and Hittites raised in Egyptian culture - had become central to Hittite government and military leadership. Amunhotep had 'adopted' the youthful sons of major Hittite nobles ensuring they wouldn't rebel against him again, having them educated and indoctrinated in Egyptian culture. Indeed, it had become fashionable now in Hattusa for young nobles and commoners alike to worship at the shrines to Amun-Ra and the other Egyptian gods scattered around the city. The entrance to Amunhotep's palace compound in the heart of the city was flanked by two basalt statues of the king as seated pharaoh, modelled on the ancient statue of Khafre that still sits to this day in his temple at Rostja, and even Hittite soldiers now prayed to Set and Wepwawet as well as to the Hittite war gods. Trade with Egypt that flowed through the Levant had made Hattusa prosperous again after a period of decline and by now his rule was not only accepted but appreciated by the majority of the empire's population.

After consolidating his power in Hatti, Amunhotep had also developed intense ambitions. His first campaign outside of core Hittite territory, in his seventh year, had been the reclaiming of three cities overrun by Assyria in the days of his grandfather Kuzi-Teshub's reign; Assur-dan had reacted less than promptly, and his counterattack had been swiftly repelled. By this ninth year, Amunhotep's army was pushing farther south and east into Assyrian territory proper, ransacking towns and forcing Assur-dan's army to engage with them directly. Border skirmishes and the move-countermove game of sieges swiftly escalated into fullscale war on a scale rarely before seen. Sustained campaigns were rare in the late Bronze Age; few had been seen since the fateful years of Ahmose's war against the occupying Hyksos in Egypt more than three hundred years before, but Amunhotep's standing, largely volunteer army had proven itself ideally suited to playing the long game. Assyria had never faced a situation quite like this before and as Assur-dan lost his border cities the populations of towns closer to the Assyrian heartlands began to flee south and east along the rivers. Many appear to have joined up with the various nomadic Aramaean tribes in the region but within a few decades most of these tribes would simply vanish from the map as conflict in the area intensified. Whether they were wiped out or absorbed by the larger powers, nothing of them remained by 1100 BCE.

On Amunhotep's domestic front he had married a priestess of the storm god Teshub in 1150, who had given him twin daughters, although he had so far spent more time on campaign than in the marriage bed so it was whispered among his courtiers that sons would not be forthcoming any time soon!

Few in Egypt paid a great deal of attention to the growing conflict in Mesopotamia. After Neferseshemptah's jubilee celebrations, the court and the nation's elite were more concerned about succession: no matter how physically healthy the king was, he was almost seventy and living on borrowed time. In this era few nations had clearly defined succession laws: it was usually taken as given that the ruler's eldest son, or a suitable son-in-law if there was no living son, would succeed, but as evidenced by the number of times a powerful vizier or general had taken the throne - including Neferseshemptah himself - it was by no means an absolute rule. In this case the king's only living son still in Egypt was the young Khaemweset and while the more ambitious nobles and officials no doubt relished the opportunity to rule through a child puppet king, most of Neferseshemptah's sons had died young and the worry was that this one would too before he had the chance to father children of his own. The king had arranged a marriage for his son with Aahmeset, the daughter of the High Priest of Ptah, but it would not be entered into until both were sixteen and the member of court were well aware that the king might not last another two years.

So it was that even while Egypt lived through its most prosperous and peaceful time in many centuries, a seed of conspiracy was planted among the upper echelons of society. It seems to have begun with various members of court nobility, spearheaded by a man named Panehesy. Despite his name - "the Nubian", Panehesy was a hereditary erpa-ha and smer, whose family had been governors of the Mennefer region apparently for over a thousand years. It's unclear whether or not they wanted to place one of their own on the throne or just to rule through the young Khaemweset were he to take power, but the conspiracy to take control of the reins of power grew to include several chiefs of the army as well as an overseer of the royal harems and even some of the priesthood of Ptah. While Neferseshemptah had been in his prime nobody would ever have dared conspire against him: for all the suspicious beginnings of his reign, he had given Egypt everything he had promised and more. But now as he aged, a shadow grew, aimed not at him, but the power vacuum that would result should he die before Khaemweset came of age.

"Interesting. An Egyptian king to reign over the Hittites.
What language is currently used for diplomatic exchanges? Is it still Akkadian?
In OTL, Babylonia was pillaged at the end of the reign of Marduk-apla-iddina by Shutruk Nahhunte I of Elam, who also took the 'god Merodach' into captivity

This Assyrian-Hittite war is probably the beginning of a long series of conflicts between the two nations. The Hittites might initially focus on the conquest of the northwestern regions of Assyria. These are the former territories of Hanigalbat (Mitanni).

Last edited:
This Assyrian-Hittite war is probably the beginning of a long series of conflicts between the two nations. The Hittites might initially focus on the conquest of the northwestern regions of Assyria. These are the former territories of Hanigalbat (Mitanni).
Most likely yes. Assyria may not be able to immediately retake lost territory and may attempt to expand in another direction, probably towards Babylon which has as Sharn305 said recently been weakened by Elam.

"Interesting. An Egyptian king to reign over the Hittites.
What language is currently used for diplomatic exchanges? Is it still Akkadian?
In OTL, Babylonia was pillaged at the end of the reign of Marduk-apla-iddina by Shutruk Nahhunte I of Elam, who also took the 'god Merodach' into captivity
Akkadian is still the language of diplomacy, yes, but I could see it easily being supplanted by Egyptian in the coming decades, assuming things go as I've planned (although these things tend to write themselves do that may not be the case!)
The Hittite empire is getting stronger but Hittite culture is weakening in the face of Egyptian cultural influence (to a certain extent this tends to happen OTL as well, we see Egyptian religion spreading across the Mediterranean in the wake of Alexander's conquests and especially after it becomes a Roman province).

the bronze age might not collapse
Nope. Without the Sea Peoples and the mass migrations and upheavals they seem to have caused or been part of, the politics of the area are going to be very different over the next few centuries. Likely the Bronze Age will transition to the Iron Age in a far less disruptive fashion.

chapter 10
Chapter 10 - The Sun God Sails to Heaven​

The moon shone full and bright overhead and the court lay somnolent and quiet, with the exception of the hawk-eyed night guards, the moonlight glinting off the tips of their spears as they stood at the gateways and in the courtyards. One tensed himself to offer a challenge as a shape loomed close by, but he realised just in time that shape belonged to the king and he knelt instead, his companion doing the same. Amunhotep, the Great King of Hatti, the first man in history to meld Egyptian culture with that of a land who had once been his people's enemy, and the first in history to rule as pharaoh but not in Egypt, could not sleep, and he paced the palace courtyards beneath the full moon like a lion stalking prey yet unsure when to pounce.

Few lights were lit in the palace tonight. He could see only one ahead, its glow emanating from a small shrine to the melded storm god Teshub-Set that had been erected last year. Teshub-Set had emerged out of the two warrior gods of Egypt and Hatti, their rituals acquiring an odd convergence, and the new syncretised deity had become a favourite of soldiers and guardsmen. Amunhotep suspected a priest was performing nightly rites with the shrine and he approached its door, heavy wood carved with images of the god trampling his fallen foes. It stood ajar and he silently opened it, slipping within.

In deep prostration, a single priest lay before the god, his cheek to the gilded floor, his eyes closed, his arms outstretched in deep reverence as he uttered time honoured prayers - in Egyptian. The man's long hair and heavy beard marked him out as a native Hittite, but his clothing and utterances told Amunhotep all he needed to know: in his devotions, he was thoroughly Egyptian. The king smiled softly; in this far land, the fluid words of his native tongue, smooth and flowing unlike the harsher, clipped Hittite language, delighted him no matter how often he heard them.

The priest finished his prayer with a ritual washing of his hands in the bowl of water that lay before the shrine, and rose; his eyes widened as he turned to see the king and he knelt, bowing deeply.

"Sacred Majesty," he said, still in Egyptian. "Forgive me. I did not see you enter."

"There is nothing to forgive," Amunhotep said, gesturing for the other man to rise. "Such devotion to your god can only be celebrated. Tell me," he added curiously, "as a Hittite, how did you become so enamoured of the Egyptian way of worship?"

"I was only a boy when your Majesty first came here," the priest answered. "My father was a priest too and he already knew I would follow where he led. But when I saw the gods your people brought with them, when I saw how your priests worshipped, my heart was filled with a joy I had never known worshipping the gods of my ancestors. I knew even then that I had found my soul's home."

Amunhotep smiled, reaching out to place a fatherly hand on the priest's shoulder.
"What is your name?" he asked.

"Siun-assiyant, Majesty."

"Beloved of God," Amunhotep said softly. "Your father named you well. I say your name is now Mery-en-Netjer in our tongue as you love our ways so well. I would ask your advice, Mery-en-Netjer."

"My advice, Majesty?" the younger man stammered. "I am only a priest. I have devoted my life to serving my god. I know nothing of politics or war or intrigue."

"Precisely," Amunhotep said. "I know my father does not have long before he must sail west in the Holy Barque with our ancestors. He may not even last the year, and his heir, my brother, is a young boy not versed in rulership or court life: he was never expected to rule. My father had four sons before my brother, and of those four, I alone still live. When my father dies the court of Egypt will fight like hyenas to control my brother and whoever wins the struggle will dictate the course of the Two Lands for a generation to come. I cannot sleep for the thought of it. I have been here so infrequently since my campaign against Assyria began, yet in the comfort of my wife's arms and the softest beds, I am restless."

"Majesty, I cannot advise you on matters of which I am so ignorant," Mery-en-Netjer said. "I can only say this: if you would have peace in your heart tonight, pray with me. We will lay these concerns at the feet of our god and let Him decide what to do."

"Wise man," Amunhotep said with another smile. "I think the god willed it that I meet you here tonight. Very well. I will pray with you."

As 1146 BCE crawled towards its conclusion, Neferseshemptah, the aging pharaoh of Egypt, a man of seventy-two now in his thirty-third year on the throne, took to his bed with a fever. Immediately the court began to prepare, knowing this could be the last days of the glorious monarch who had dragged Egypt out of a dark period into the light of glory and prosperity. His last remaining son in Egypt, Khaemweset, had recently married, his equally young wife Aahmeset being a daughter of the previous High Priest of Ptah who had unexpectedly died in 1147; however, both were little more than children and certainly not prepared to become King and Queen of Egypt!

Behind the throne, as the king ailed, stood Panehesy. While his position at court remains unclear, he came from a long line of nobility and governed the Mennefer sepat in the king's name. He seems to have been close with a number of military leaders and some of Ptah's priests: the marriage between Khaemweset and Aahmeset was almost certainly his idea. We know from certain documents that Panehesy seems to have been one of the heads of a loosely formed conspiracy aimed at lifting the reins of power from the king's hands once Neferseshemptah died; in fact, at least one of the conspirators when forced to confess his role in the conspiracy, quoted Panehesy as saying: "This land of Egypt must never be endangered by leaving it in the control of a weak pharaoh (life! prosperity! health!)!"

The conspiracy would be short lived. In fact, it would not long outlive Neferseshemptah who, to the great grief of all his subjects, finally succumbed to his fever after eighteen long and frightening days. With a little over two months to go until the start of his thirty-fourth year, Sekhemkheperure Neferseshemptah breathed his last in his bed in the palace at Mennefer, and plunged Egypt into mourning the like of which had not been seen in seventy years.

The king we now call Neferseshemptah the Great was buried seventy days later in his exquisite, long prepared tomb. Unlike previous pharaohs, he was not laid to rest in the Great Meadow west of Weset. Although a tomb bearing his name had been dug there early in his reign, by his fifteenth year he had changed his mind about his resting place. Emphasising a return to the golden ages of the beginning, he had instead ordered the construction of a magnificent pyramid on the Abusir plateau, west of Mennefer and not far from the monuments of the mighty gods of the beginning of time which reared in all their might just a little to the north. Within the pyramid his tomb had been dug, a grand chamber for the king himself sumptuously decorated with the scenes of his triumphs and depictions of his standing among the gods, while another chamber, heavily sealed to prevent robbery, held all the provisions that he would need as he passed into eternity. Beside the main pyramid two smaller ones had been built for his chief wives, Merytneferet and Gilukhepa, both of whom had preceded him into the dark realm from where no man returned.

Neferseshemptah was the first pharaoh in four centuries to build a pyramid as his tomb. He would not be the last. But as his son Khaemweset prepared to be crowned, an evil shadow loomed on his horizon. Greedy, power hungry men sought to control the young king. History, sadly, would not be kind to the brief reign of Djedkare Khaemweset.

At almost the same time as his father lay dying far away in Egypt, Amunhotep the pharaoh of Hatti became a father himself for the third time. His wife Naptera gave birth to a son whose name, unlike his father's, was given in only one language. He was named Thutmose.

(A sepat, also called a nome, is a province of Egypt ruled by an often hereditary governor called an erpa-ha.)

well... looks like the Hittite identity is dying...
Also... The main god of the Indo-European peoples has always been a storm god like Teššup. However, in the Egyptian pantheon, the greatest god is a sun deity. This will have... interesting repercussions.

Last edited:
well... looks like the Hittite identity is dying...
Also... The main god of the Indo-European peoples has always been a storm god like Teššup. However, in the Egyptian pantheon, the greatest god is a sun deity. This will have... interesting repercussions.
Yes, yes it will... I figured the most likely god the Egyptians would identify with the Hittite storm god would be Set, so he would be the first to really enter the Hittite pantheon.
Given how flexible the gods and their roles often were in Egypt though I can imagine Amunhotep and his priests will want to identify Tarḫunna with Horus and his (and Teshub's) consort Hepat/Wurushemu with Hathor. (That might let them 'fiddle' with Hittite syncretizations so that Tarḫunna/Horus and Teshub/Set are brothers rather than being identified with each other.)
Telepinu and Inara could become tentatively identified with Osiris and Isis (through the association with fertility and agriculture). Ishtar of course basically already is Hathor.
A'as could become Thoth...
It would also be easy to identify Tarḫunna's struggle with the serpent Illuyanka, with Set's defence of Ra's barque from the serpent Apophis. There are a lot of intriguing ways Amunhotep (and potentially his new son) could push Hittite religion toward a more Egyptianised form.

chapter 11
Chapter 11 - A Crisis of Power

Amunhotep had sat on the throne of Hatti for seventeen years when his first son was finally born. He himself was still only in his early thirties, a man of great bravery who by far preferred to be on campaign at the head of his army than home administering his realm. The latter was just as, if not more, essential, however; the presence of the pharaoh was probably much of what prevented the Hittite court from turning in on itself like a pack of wild dogs, traditionalists against the new and upcoming brand of Egyptianised nobility.

One important area in which Amunhotep did adhere to certain Mesopotamian and Hittite traditions was in the legal sphere. A king should be seen as a great lawgiver in those regions and those times, and Amunhotep took the time to codify a new set of immutable laws for his empire, erecting a massive pylon at the gates of Teshub's main temple in Hattusa and having similar reliefs carved in cities all across the kingdom. The adherence to Hittite tradition ended here, however: the laws themselves were of a thoroughly Egyptian character, based almost entirely on Egyptian precedent and the rule of Ma'at which every Egyptian from pharaoh to peasant farmer had to be seen to abide by. The reliefs themselves relegated the Hittite-language inscriptions to less than a third of the wall, while a large portion of the relief showed Amunhotep himself presenting Ma'at to the gods Amun and Teshub-Set. The king himself had almost entirely dropped the use of the name Mursili from his titles and everywhere the cartouche of Neberdjerre Amunhotep decorated palaces, temples, city walls and municipal buildings.

In 1145 BCE, if newspapers had been invented, the front pages would display only one headline: BABYLON HAS FALLEN! Not only had Elam continued their merciless conquest of Babylon's territory as far north as Eshnunna, but Assyria's still reigning king Assur-dan, seeing that the western half of his empire was almost certainly lost to Egypto-Hittite expansion, had turned his attention toward Babylon's rich, fertile lands. Pushing southward from Assur he first overran Sippar which he had found utterly unprepared for his invasion, then stopping only to seize supplies from the city he left a token garrison in Sippar to rebuild its walls and force marched his army south. Babylon was sacked, its temples and palaces burned, its king and nobility put to the sword and many of its citizens carried off as slaves to bolster the populations of Assur and Nineveh. Assur-dan boasts in an inscription on the walls of the temple of Ishtar in Nineveh:

"Like the mighty bull of heaven I fell upon Babylon; its inhabitants young and old I did not spare, and its gods I carried off to my city. They who did not submit to my yoke, I made pay for their crime; with their corpses I filled the streets."

Assur-dan's boasts of course were hollow; the western half of his empire was already crumbling, and the only thing that stopped his Hittite enemy from seizing the Nawar region and crossing the Khabur river to advance towards Assur itself was the fact that Amunhotep had taken half his men home on rotation to see their families and rest from the campaign. His own forces were not up to the task of defeating the Egypto-Hittite army but a Babylon weakened by years of Elamite incursions had been easy prey. Assur-dan left a left force behind in the ruined city to keep order among its surviving population while he took the rest of his force home, redeploying them on the eastern bank of the Khabur to hold back his main foe.

Amunhotep records Assur-dan's "triumph" in derisory form in his temple to Amun-Ra in Hattusa.

"This vile wretch, Assur-dan, he says: I am the hero without equal, for none may stand against me! Yet he is but the dog who shrinks in fear before the lion; Amun my Father has already decreed his end, and his kingdom will be desolate and without issue."

Clearly the political and military situation in Mesopotamia was chaotic at best in this period. Assyria was being gradually squeezed out of existence; Babylonia had been ravaged; the Elamites pressed in from the south-east.

And none of this even registered in Mennefer, where the young pharaoh, Djedkare Khaemweset, in his first year had appointed the ambitious noble Panehesy as vizier. The previous vizier, Iuty, had died unexpectedly almost as soon as the young pharaoh took office after the seventy days of mourning for his illustrious father, Neferseshemptah the Great; it was an open secret that Panehesy had probably had the man poisoned in order to usurp his position. At this point Panehesy seems to have had such a hold on the young king that he was appointed not only vizier but also overseer of priests in the temple of Ptah-south-of-His-Wall, as well as Great Chief of the Army. One man holding that much power could only be bad news for a country in mourning and uncertain of its direction: while Egypt was still unimaginably wealthy and its artisans were the most skilled in the ancient world, having imported iron working from the Hittites and improved on the alloys and designs, politically the death of the pharaoh worshipped by the nation for a generation was a massive blow. It would have been easy at this point for Panehesy to lift the reins of power entirely from the weak pharaoh, even eliminate him, and usurp the throne for himself; indeed, this seems to have been his goal all along.

Seventeen years old, Khaemweset seems to have struggled with the nature of his position. On the one hand he was the son of a god and divine himself, in theory an absolute monarch whose decisions could not be questioned and whose word should always be obeyed. On the other hand he was a boy on the threshold of manhood who had been given only a few short years to prepare to rule, a youth uncertain of himself and his place who was dominated by the overbearing will of Panehesy against who he evidently chafed. The internal power struggle, as one-sided as it was, seems to have not gone unnoticed by the common people; as the literacy rate continued to climb with more and more commoners seeing the benefits of learning their letters, personal observations abound across the country. One stash of letters inscribed on clay ostraca discovered in a tomb in the Faiyum region and dated to years 1 and 2 of Khaemweset record the writer's dissatisfaction with the status quo.

"Tell me, my beloved brother Prehotep, how fare you within the court of pharaoh (life! prosperity! health!)? How fare you in that cobra's nest where the tjaty coils around the king (life! prosperity! health!) and does not let him rule the land? Write to me soon, my dear brother. From your beloved sister Beketaset, by my own hand on this day, the fifth day of Mekhir in year one of the king."

Khaemweset seems in his early days to have attempted to emulate his father. He ordered, but did not lead, an expedition into Nubia to subdue the population and restore the sometimes erratic flow of gold; he built at Ipet-sut, mostly completing or adding onto his father's work. He appears to have begun work on a pyramid similar to his father's at Abusir, but this work was less than three courses of stone into its construction when it was suddenly abandoned. A graffito found at the site indicates that towards the end of Year 1, the workmen were ordered to cease all work at the site, and two gangs were sent south to Weset to work on the Ipet-sut additions instead. It is tempting to see this as the changeable nature of a king who was in many ways still childish, but behind the scenes something else appears to have been going on. Khaemweset, wanting to free himself from the near total control of Panehesy, must have been attempting to link himself with the holy city of Weset far to the south, and thus to Egypt's state god Amun. He had been born in Weset, and no doubt felt the pull of that sacred site as a way to escape the machinations of his power-hungry vizier.

Khaemweset's wife, Aahmeset, gave birth early in Year Two to a stillborn son. She appears to have died herself not long after, and she and the infant were laid to rest in a tomb at Saqqara that was evidently usurped: the tomb was repainted hurriedly to cover the names of the original occupants. Recent investigations discovered a hidden chamber behind a wall in the tomb, presumably overlooked when the unfortunate Aahmeset was laid to rest. The chamber held two basalt sarcophagi dating from the Fourth Dynasty, inscribed with the names Naneferkaptah and Ahura. Both were empty, their lids propped against the chamber wall, and the chamber itself was ankle deep in stagnant water which seems to have seeped into the tomb from the Nile in ancient times. The only other artifact discovered in the tomb was a wooden box in one corner which contained a scroll, miraculously undamaged.

Last edited:
chapter 12
Chapter 12 - The Rising of the Mighty Bull

In 1144 BCE as now, the reality of politics rarely aligns with the ideals of a society. Few events in that long ago era exemplify that fact more clearly than the conspiracy of Panehesy, yet few things show the importance of our ideals more than the actions of Ramessesnakht. Ramessesnakht was the High Priest of Amun at Ipet-sut; fairly new to the role, his appointment had been one of Neferseshemptah's last official acts before his swift decline and death, but the relatively young man had seemed to grow into the role appointed to him with remarkable ability.

The young pharaoh's wife, Aahmeset, had not even been laid to rest in her usurped tomb at Saqqara when the tjaty, Panehesy, wrote a letter to the High Priest. Even now, a copy of it remains perfectly preserved in the holy archives at Ipet-sut where many such gems have long been read by historians and priests seeking to understand the past.

"To the First Prophet of Amun the Hidden, overseer of priests, lord of Ipet-sut, from the tjaty, Hereditary Prince of Mennefer, Great Chief of the Division of Ptah, mighty among the mighty, greetings.
I trust that you are well, and the enemies of the Great God are not. Come, hearken to me: how long will you sit there in Weset, when a weak pharaoh (life! prosperity! health!) sits upon the throne here in Mennefer, and cares nothing for the greatness of the Two Lands? Come therefore and be not idle, lend me the support of the Great God and of all the men of Weset, for the Two Lands are falling into chaos, and I alone can save them from weakness and decay!
By my own hand on this day, the thirtieth of Pa-en-ipet, Year Two of the King.
"

Accompanying the letter was a series of dates and numbers, not all of which have survived but which appear to be coded references to troop movements and other activities which Panehesy would direct in his attempt to overthrow Khaemweset and seize the throne for himself. He had to have realised he was taking a major risk by attempting to include Ramessesnakht in his plot, but he must have believed it worth it: the support of Egypt's most powerful priesthood and its chief god would be invaluable, especially since Ramessesnakht seems to have been close to the major political figures of the south who could easily rally the local militias.

Panehesy however reckoned without one thing: the pharaoh's impatience to be out from under the influence of his overbearing tjaty. While unaware of Panehesy's true goal, Khaemweset had already been in contact with the High Priest of Amun and various other notable figures from Weset, and his plan was evidently to move the capital back to the southern city which had been the seat of power for his illustrious predecessors, rulers like Ahmose, Hatshepsut, Thutmose III and Amunhotep III. By the time Aahmeset died shortly after delivering a stillborn child, Khaemweset was already secretly preparing to move the court south to Weset, leaving Panehesy behind as tjaty of the north only. Whether or not he intended a high position to go to one of Ramessesnakht's relatives is unknown, but it seems likely he offered this as an incentive.

Regardless, Ramessesnakht was steadfast in his loyalty to the pharaoh. He immediately wrote to the king on receiving Panehesy's own missive warning Khaemweset of the plot, and in order that his letter to the king not go astray, he sent copies of it to every provincial governor in Egypt, as well as taking the remarkable step of adding a copy of it, to a request he was making of the Hittite pharaoh, Khaemweset's older brother Amunhotep: Ipet-sut required iron ore from the Hittite heartlands to arm the temple guards with the new steel weaponry that was starting to become more common. Normally such requests would have gone north to the tjaty, but Ramessesnakht had already apparently mistrusted Panehesy even before he became aware of the latter's treachery. A treachery which was now laid bare to the entire country, as well as to the Egypto-Hittite empire in Anatolia.

This letter ultimately became one of the first known instances of mass communication. The increasingly literate population of Egypt were able to read copies of it in provincial towns, while Amunhotep once he received his copy from the High Priest was so incensed by its contents that he also had it copied and circulated in multiple languages. Copies in Akkadian, Hittite and Egyptian have been discovered at sites in Amurru as well as at Assur, Babylon and Karkemish. At least one petty monarch in Amurru, Habidjilat the ruling Queen of Byblos who had overthrown the local king some years before, pledged troops to support Khaemweset should Panehesy move against him.

Ultimately however it was Amunhotep who decided the matter and by doing so changed the face of the world forever. Leaving behind his tjaty Iymery and his most gifted general Sebaennekheb, he force marched an army of two divisions south and taking advantage of Habidjalat's loyalty to Khaemweset he claimed a fleet of her ships in his younger brother's name at Byblos. Sailing south he landed at Djanet as the season of Peret came to a close.

Of course by then it was too late, despite the speed with which Amunhotep had deployed his forces. Faced with the risk of a popular uprising in the name of the young pharaoh, Panehesy had acted more quickly than he had intended: he poisoned the pharaoh one night at dinner, along with several high ranking officials, and usurped the throne for himself, calling on the troops who were loyal to him as hereditary governor of the Mennefer region. Taking for himself the throne name Itjetennakhtre ("who seizes the strength of Ra") he commanded his followers to hunt down and execute any who still pledged loyalty to Khaemweset or the High Priest Ramessesnakht who he summoned to Mennefer to answer for his "crimes". Panehesy had at first put out the story that Khaemweset had been murdered by rebels and he was putting down a rebellion against the king but as news reached Egypt of Amunhotep's sailing from Byblos he deployed the army to the north-east, declaring that he was the rightful pharaoh and that Amunhotep was a vile foreign invader who had stirred up rebellion against his own brother.

Few by now believed Panehesy whose plans were crumbling and whose conspiracy thanks to Ramessesnakht had been publicised throughout the land. When Amunhotep landed at Djanet and marched his two divisions south the army deployed to stop him mutinied against their commanders and switched sides to join Amunhotep.

Amunhotep by now was becoming known for his lightning swift campaigns and this would be no exception. He commandeered food and supplies from the nearby towns and hurried south to Mennefer. Panehesy ordered the city gates closed against him but by then almost nobody would obey the usurper who had been exposed as a murderer and blasphemer; the city's own inhabitants rose up against Panehesy and the local forces deployed to protect the palace were in no condition to stop a full scale rebellion. Finally one of his former supporters the High Priest of Ptah turned against him and arrested him in the palace before opening the city gates to Amunhotep and his army.

Panehesy was condemned to death by impalement. His family was turned out of their home, stripped of their titles and lands, and sent south to live out their days as peasant farmers in Weset, labouring on the auroras of the temple of Ipet-sut. Over fifty other nobles and officials who had supported Panehesy were executed; due to his change of heart the High Priest of Ptah was pardoned and kept his position although he was ordered to pay a heavy annual tribute to the pharaoh each year he remained High Priest.

As to who would become the pharaoh now? There was only one choice. The family of Neferseshemptah the Great had but one surviving adult member, and nobody else in the court could or would present any kind of a valid claim. After the mourning for Khaemweset was done, the ill-fated king was hastily buried in an unused tomb in the Great Meadow west of Weset, one hurriedly enlarged and hastily painted. As the Inundation began, Neberdjerre Amunhotep was proclaimed pharaoh of Egypt on the seat of his father. The falcon had spread his wings across all the world.

As to who would become the pharaoh now? There was only one choice. The family of Neferseshemptah the Great had but one surviving adult member, and nobody else in the court could or would present any kind of a valid claim. After the mourning for Khaemweset was done, the ill-fated king was hastily buried in an unused tomb in the Great Meadow west of Weset, one hurriedly enlarged and hastily painted. As the Inundation began, Neberdjerre Amunhotep was proclaimed pharaoh of Egypt on the seat of his father. The falcon had spread his wings across all the world.

United Egyptian and Hittite Empire?
a United Egyptian and Hittite Empire, this is something new

United Egyptian and Hittite Empire?
Potentially anyway... right now it's more of a 'personal union' like James VI becoming king of England, I can't see it becoming a full political union yet unless Amunhotep full on restructures the entire empire. That'll probably be the work of generations... but Egyptians are patient, and once they've obtained territories they don't like letting go of them.

I promise there will be an update coming soon! I have spent most of the last two weeks at work and the remainder finding family time where I can so writing has had to fall by the wayside temporarily!

chapter 13
Chapter 13 - Uneasy Lies the Head

It would be unfair to say that Amunhotep V was a bad pharaoh. He was undoubtedly a brilliant tactician, a charismatic ruler, and a man as invested in religious matters as his father had been. But it was clear from the outset that Neberdjerre Amunhotep's weak spot was administration. Not only did he have no talent for it, but he had no patience for it either. He had spent most of his reign as the Hittite ruler on campaign against a now near-fatally weakened Assyria (which had only survived thanks to the flood of slaves, supplies and wealth from ransacked Babylon) and very little time learning to effectively govern. Which was all fine and well since in Hattusa and across the Hittite realm he had a wealth of able, trustworthy men and women, not least of whom was his Great Royal Wife, Naptera.

This was not the case in Egypt. Amunhotep had lived and ruled in Hatti for twenty years. None of the Egyptian aristocracy or bureaucracy knew him as anything but the boy he had been before he left Egypt's borders with an army intent on resolving their ally's succession crisis. None of them had any reason to trust this man who returned a conqueror, who had arrived too late to rescue his brother the legitimate pharaoh, and whose first act in his native land had been to impale one of their own on a twelve foot spear to slowly bleed and choke to death in agony as the sun blazed down. No matter how corrupt Panehesy had been, no matter how vile his actions, to the nobility clustered in the capital he was still one of their own, and the fact was that the new pharaoh had ordered his death in such a fashion, like the lowest of blasphemers, before stripping his family of all they owned and leaving them destitute beggars. At least fifty more nobles and officials had likewise been executed although in a less humiliating fashion, and the survivors were afraid the new pharaoh was set to carry out a bloody purge across the Two Lands.

For his part, Amunhotep had no reason to trust the officials or aristocrats either. Many of them had actively participated in, or at least backed, Panehesy's conspiracy, and that to his mind tainted all of them. He could call on nobody from Middle or Lower Egypt that he could trust; in fact, aside from those he had brought with him, the only person in Egypt he knew he could trust was Ramessesnakht, the High Priest of Amun.

The beginning of 1143 BCE saw Amunhotep as absolute ruler of the largest empire the world had yet seen, and with no idea how to effectively govern it. Previous empires had either consisted of a central power exercising loose control over various vassal states - as the Hittite Empire prior to Tudhaliya IV, or Egypt itself during the 18th and 19th Dynasties - or a collection of city-states of a similar culture, ruled from one city-state above them all. This was different. Never before had two great imperial nations been ruled by a single man, and neither the man nor the nations knew how to handle it. Was the Hittite Empire to be ruled from Egypt? Or was Egypt to be ruled by the Hittite Empire? Or were they to still retain a practical distinction as separate polities who just happened to both be headed up by the same man?

Nobody had an answer to this question, and wouldn't do for some time. In fact, Amunhotep's lack of ability to function as a peacetime ruler would ultimately almost destroy the fledgeling united empire before it even got its feet on the ground, and he wouldn't be the last pharaoh to have to unify the separate realms.

Of course all that lay in the future, and right now Amunhotep did what he thought best: he removed Egypt's centre of power from Mennefer. Paranoid and untrusting of the local nobility and officials, he located his capital at Weset, the holy city of Amun, and appointed Ramessesnakht's second son Nesamun to a new and curious office, one of the Chief Spokesman to the King. This new position was not in charge of speaking in the king's name, but rather Nesamun would serve as an advisor and counsellor to the pharaoh who seems to have realised his inadequacy at governing.

It is rather unfortunate that, unlike his father, Nesamun was a greedy and altogether unscrupulous man who would use his office to badly advise the pharaoh, not only causing mismanagement throughout the country but also resulting in Amunhotep himself becoming despised. And despite all of this, Amunhotep's own intentions had always been pure.

Like any pharaoh before him, he eulogised the Golden Ages of the past in his monuments, the most recent being that of his father who had both crushed Egypt's enemies and brought unprecedented wealth and authority into the land. He declared his intent to rule well upon the throne of his father. And despite the gossip which would never die in Egypt, that had circulated since he had taken the Hittite throne, he had never sought power for himself in Egypt. He had come south with his troops only to rescue his native land and his brother from the clutches of the treacherous Panehesy, his only fault there being that he arrived too late to save his brother's life.

Probably Amunhotep's most important political decision once taking up his position in Weset was to send a dispatch to his tjaty in Hattusa, Iymery, instructing that his young son Thutmose who had remained in the Hittite capital be given a title: the title of junior pharaoh, a co-regent with his father, to rule in Hatti while his father ruled in Egypt. It was a courtesy title of course: Thutmose wasn't even three years old yet and the tjaty would still exercise power in Amunhotep's name for the foreseeable future, but it did ensure that a king, at least in name, held the throne in Hattusa while Amunhotep himself issued decrees and tried in Weset to set his native land in order.

As has been previously said, he was a poor administrator, and relied far too much on Nesamun whose main objective was to enrich himself at the king's expense. However, Amunhotep did manage to push through a number of military reforms along the lines of his army reorganisations in Hatti, resulting - at least in theory - in an Egyptian army with increased readiness.

After a year in Weset, Naptera gave birth to another son who the royal couple named Neferseshemptah after his grandfather. Muted celebrations across the realms accompanied this birth; many in Egypt still did not trust Amunhotep, while many in Hatti bewailed the absence of the king who had steered the course of their world for the past two decades. The army on the Assyrian campaign in the east had met with setbacks as well, due to a new development within the Assyrian court itself that would ultimately cause the long war to drag on for many more years, draining the strength of Assyria and Hatti both.

Amunhotep's worst mistake in these years was to ignore the situation in Mesopotamia. Had he responded, had Nesamun not hidden things from him, the outcomes might have been different.

Towards the end of 1142 BCE, Ashur-dan, who had been king of Assyria for over thirty years, was found dead in the temple of the goddess Ishtar in the city of Arbeles. He had been stabbed a total of fifty-two times in a frenzied attack. Both of his sons were later found behind the temple, strangled and thrown on the temple's rubbish heap. No perpetrator or murder weapon were ever discovered; no hint of what had happened or why was ever found out. It was as if the goddess herself had passed judgement on the king and his sons and deemed them unworthy of living any longer.

A brief period of chaos followed wherein the various relatives of the dead king jockeyed for position in the royal court, but one by one, almost all the male members of the royal family mysteriously died, vanished, or publicly disavowed any claim to the throne. This left only the king's grandson, Ashur-resha-ishi, to ascend the throne; his accession had been in little doubt in any case, but his cousins and other high ranking members of the inner circle had tried to advance their own claims. Rumour said that Ashur-resha-ishi himself had them killed; it has been suggested by historians that he blamed other members of the royal family for the deaths of his grandfather, father and uncle, and had them executed for the crimes.

Regardless of how he came to power, Ashur-resha-ishi was certain of one thing: his grandfather's mistakes would not be repeated. The Hittites and Egyptians would pay a heavy toll in the coming years.