Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

Is Plirism more represented in the North American Gunnagal community? (E.g. due to selective immigration etc.)
That's hard to answer without giving significant spoilers for how the Gunnagal in Aururia develop. Suffice it to say that in seventeenth-century Aururia, for the Gunnagal, Plirism was part of their socio-religious milieu more than it was an exclusive faith. Or to put it another way, many Gunnagal would follow some Plirite practices along with some of their older religious practices, without considering themselves exclusively Plirite. Those who did consider themselves exclusively Plirite were a much smaller group, no more than 20% of the population.

By the twenty-first century, however, the Gunnagal social-religious milieu has changed significantly.
Indeed.
From experience every Chair needs that or control of the Minutes Taker. An independent Minutes Taker is a very powerful position!
Naturally; the minutes-taker is the one who decides what decisions the committee actually reached.

Stretch

Donor
This shouldn't count as a necro, but this YouTuber I follow has just reviewed Walking Through Dreams, and I thought I should share it here. He had some issues, but liked the scenario and changes to history.

This shouldn't count as a necro, but this YouTuber I follow has just reviewed Walking Through Dreams, and I thought I should share it here. He had some issues, but liked the scenario and changes to history.
I haven't watched the video, or plan to watch it either. I think this is the same reviewer who left a review on Goodreads which amounted to "I thought this was a weak 3-star, but raising it to 4-star due to research and effort." Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, and I'm not offended if someone doesn't like my work.

That said, it's pleasing to have LoRaG Book 1 reach someone with a wide reach. Even if the review wasn't the most favourable, there's been a spike in sales since it came out. (Insert adage here about no such thing as bad publicity.)

dammit, you raised my hopes that Jared posted again, but the video looks interesting. will watch soon.
Well, if you want me to post something... Book 2 is in Sea Lion Press's hands and is in the publication process. Book 3 has first draft finished and starting the editing process. After that, I move onto the material for Book 4, much of which will also be posted here as it's written.

Hey, Jared, I've been *obsessed* with your TL for a while now, and have read and reread it numerous times by now, including the SLP published copy. One thing I noticed while rereading the TL was that, in a couple of the earlier posts(both in AH.com and in the SLP version) there's a few instances in which the Aururian shaking-nodding thing isn't abided by.
Namely:
1)One of Kawiti of the Tangata's gestures in post #10. While I do know that the Maori are a distinct people from the Aururians, I'm still pointing this one out just in case. This one wasn't really significant, by the way
2) The Good Man's actions in #17. I'll paste the ones in the AH.com version here, although IIRC, there's a couple more in the added Good Man content in the Sea Lion Press Version
He pauses, then continues, “So, is this man happier than the king? The king is burdened with worry, with our enemies in Tjibarr and Garrkimang threatening our borders. Yet this man knows little, and enjoys much.”

The would-be acolytes nod and murmur in agreement. “This man is happy, happier even than the king,” the pituri-chewing acolyte says.
I've also just noticed the pituri-kunduri mixup here
“So, then, is joy something which comes from within?” the Teacher asks. “Is it intrinsic to a man, not something which can be granted from without?”

The acolytes nod again.
And then, there's a third post in which this happens, namely, the one in which Yuma Tjula and co. discuss what to do of the new Raw Men question. Specifically, post 33:
Wirnugal said, “My heart tells me that the Raw Men will come to us again, no matter what. Better that we find them, too, no matter what else may happen. To act otherwise would bring only discord from their visits, without any counterbalance to bring harmony.”

Yuma nodded. As always, Wirnugal saw clearly. But then, what else was an elder expected to do? He said, “We need only decide, then, how best to contact the Raw Men.” Remembering Wirnugal’s words about balance, he added, “And whether to do it alone or in alliance with other bloodlines.”
So, there's that. These are the only ones I currently remember, and I do hope you don't find me excessively pedantic at the moment, I'd just thought of informing you about this because it's up for publication and stuff.
Once again, your timeline is absolutely brilliant, and I'll be eagerly awaiting any posts you make in the future. So....yeah.

I met some people from the Sidney area on new years's 2020 in Sofia in a bar, and at the moment I mention anything concerning traditional Australian agriculture -- I did NOT know there were wildfires there -- it's like I was supposed to know there were wildfires there. I had not been following news for two months in Bulgaria, let alone Australia, too busy.
EDIT: It took me two months to make a conjecture as to why they had been offended, and I'm still not sure.

Last edited:
“If their Association approves it,” Northwind said.

Nyulinga nodded. This Association – Company was their word – was one of the strangest features of the Raw Men. One Association which controlled all of the Nedlandj trade. Odd to think that it worked. Most frustratingly, it meant that certain Nedlandj goods were not for sale.

“Does their Association still forbid trade in their thunder-weapons?” Nyulinga said.
I've found another instance of the aforementioned nod-shake thing here in post #66
Edit: Also, another tiny nitpick regarding the following excerpt:
“This is a new spice, grown in Barrat. Dried, naturally. Fry this spice in linseed oil, or cut it up and eat only small amounts directly. Do not eat too much at once. They are fiercer than the hottest purple peppers.”

Dalwalinoo raised an eyebrow. “I will try them. What are they called?”

“The Barrati call them tjilee.”

“Intriguing goods,” the Patjimunra merchant said. “This Barrat is not a place I have heard of before.”

More likely, a place he had been told about occasionally, but had not bothered to remember, Berree judged. Patjimunra merchants cared very little for where the goods they were sold came from, unless the place was well-known enough that it could be used as a selling point when trading the goods among their own people.
About the "Barrati call them Chilli" thing, as far as I know, Indian languages don't usually call chillies, well, chillies. Rather, Indian names for chillies usually originate in the name of the Tamil port of Muciri (Greek version: Muziris) and share their name with the name for the black pepper (piper nigrum), because apparently Muciri was a major port for the Spice Trade back then. The Tamil name for chilli, according to Google Translate (which I think is fairly accurate here cuz I speak a related language with a similar name for chilli) is transliterated as milakāy. The Malayalam one is called mulak, the Bengali one is marica(I'm mentioning this cuz IIRC the Nuttana has a presence in the French outpost in *Chandernagore/Chandannagar), and the Sinhalese term (Just in case they'd mislabeled Ceylon/Sri Lanka as Barrat instead) is miris. These are *probably* the languages that the coastal principalities the Nuttana traded with would speak, and most other Indian languages (Both Indo-Aryan and Dravidian) have a similar term for chillis as well. Ik that this is excessively pedantic, but I hope you don't mind that I'm pointing this out. If the Nuttana do call Chillis "tjilee", they're probably using a Western term instead. An Indian/Sri Lankan loanword would probably be something like mirakay or marikay or something like that Instead

Last edited:
I want to ask who colonizes Alaska and Northern Cascadia TTL? I hope the Japanese colonize it. Or would the Aruarians colonize it?

ps sorry this is not an update, but its an interesting question.

I want to ask who colonizes Alaska and Northern Cascadia TTL? I hope the Japanese colonize it. Or would the Aruarians colonize it?

ps sorry this is not an update, but its an interesting question.

I don't think the Nutanna have got that far yet, maybe I missed that.

Hey, Jared, I've been *obsessed* with your TL for a while now, and have read and reread it numerous times by now, including the SLP published copy. One thing I noticed while rereading the TL was that, in a couple of the earlier posts(both in AH.com and in the SLP version) there's a few instances in which the Aururian shaking-nodding thing isn't abided by.
Namely:
1)One of Kawiti of the Tangata's gestures in post #10. While I do know that the Maori are a distinct people from the Aururians, I'm still pointing this one out just in case. This one wasn't really significant, by the way
2) The Good Man's actions in #17. I'll paste the ones in the AH.com version here, although IIRC, there's a couple more in the added Good Man content in the Sea Lion Press Version
[/QUOTE]
Apologies for the delay in responding to this. Life keeps me busy and with little time online these days.

Glad you've enjoyed the timeline so far, and the published version. The nodding/head-shaking thing is something which wasn't well-defined at the start of this timeline, so think there's a few early occasions when it slipped past. I caught some on the SLP rewrite, but not all, by the looks of it. The couple in #17 were still in the published version (though I couldn't find any in the new material added for the published version), as was the one from #33. I've amended them in a version which I'll send to SLP for an update around the same time that Book 2 comes out. One of the nice things about Amazon ebooks is that they can be updated for everyone even if they've already bought it.

The head-shaking with Kawiti was deliberate. At that time the Maori were, as Polynesian descendants, following the same pattern as most of the world for the meaning of nodding versus head-shaking. It changed over the next few decades as they were influenced by contact with Aururia - head-shaking to mean no became one of those things which was a mark of status after dealing with Aururians. (There was a time when the Maori looked at Aururian cultures as something to emulate, though that didn't last.)

I've also just noticed the pituri-kunduri mixup here

And then, there's a third post in which this happens, namely, the one in which Yuma Tjula and co. discuss what to do of the new Raw Men question. Specifically, post 33:

So, there's that. These are the only ones I currently remember, and I do hope you don't find me excessively pedantic at the moment, I'd just thought of informing you about this because it's up for publication and stuff.
Once again, your timeline is absolutely brilliant, and I'll be eagerly awaiting any posts you make in the future. So....yeah.
The kunduri-pituri mix was an artifact of when I wrote the earliest parts of the timeline, I used pituri as a term, and only switched to kunduri for later chapters. That part is fixed in the published version.

I've found another instance of the aforementioned nod-shake thing here in post #66
This one has been changed too. Fortunately with Book 2 still in press it's easily dealt with.

Edit: Also, another tiny nitpick regarding the following excerpt:

About the "Barrati call them Chilli" thing, as far as I know, Indian languages don't usually call chillies, well, chillies. Rather, Indian names for chillies usually originate in the name of the Tamil port of Muciri (Greek version: Muziris) and share their name with the name for the black pepper (piper nigrum), because apparently Muciri was a major port for the Spice Trade back then. The Tamil name for chilli, according to Google Translate (which I think is fairly accurate here cuz I speak a related language with a similar name for chilli) is transliterated as milakāy. The Malayalam one is called mulak, the Bengali one is marica(I'm mentioning this cuz IIRC the Nuttana has a presence in the French outpost in *Chandernagore/Chandannagar), and the Sinhalese term (Just in case they'd mislabeled Ceylon/Sri Lanka as Barrat instead) is miris. These are *probably* the languages that the coastal principalities the Nuttana traded with would speak, and most other Indian languages (Both Indo-Aryan and Dravidian) have a similar term for chillis as well. Ik that this is excessively pedantic, but I hope you don't mind that I'm pointing this out. If the Nuttana do call Chillis "tjilee", they're probably using a Western term instead. An Indian/Sri Lankan loanword would probably be something like mirakay or marikay or something like that Instead
That point I did know. Ironically enough, I know the Hindi and Gujarati terms for chilli due to learning how to cook Indian food from YouTube videos, a lot of which were in Hindi or Gujarati with English subtitles (or no subtitles), some times. For that post, I'd thought that saying that the Barrati call them chilli is more a reflection of how in the relevant trade port here (in Bengal), the Nuttana had taken over from previous Europeans, and had not yet learned much of the local languages, and thus communicated with them in English/Dutch since that had been the language of trade at that point.

On reflection, though, that's excessively complicated and not something that readers could be expected to pick up. For the published version of Book 3 (still in editing), I'll probably just go with saying "they are called chilli", without getting into the origin of the name.

@Jared will the third book be posted here too?
Books 1-3 are formed from what's the published timeline so far - revised and expanded, since I wouldn't ask someone to pay for a book unless it had new material in it.

Book 1 is roughly to the end of Nuyts's invasion of the Yadji, Book 2 is from there until the outbreak of the Great Death, and Book 3 is from there on until the end of the Hunter's campaigns. Book 4 will continue from there. The majority of it will be published on here, but there will be some sections that I keep as exclusive material for the novel version. Ditto with the (probably) two more books after that which will finish the timeline.

Books 1-3 are formed from what's the published timeline so far - revised and expanded, since I wouldn't ask someone to pay for a book unless it had new material in it.

Book 1 is roughly to the end of Nuyts's invasion of the Yadji, Book 2 is from there until the outbreak of the Great Death, and Book 3 is from there on until the end of the Hunter's campaigns. Book 4 will continue from there. The majority of it will be published on here, but there will be some sections that I keep as exclusive material for the novel version. Ditto with the (probably) two more books after that which will finish the timeline.
ah ok thanks for clarifying.

ps: who colonizes Cascadia and alaska?

That's too far ahead of the "present" of the timeline to go into, but I will note that the question assumes that they're colonised by anyone, which isn't necessarily the case.
Thinking of that subject myself having done quite a bit of research thanks to my own TL inspired in part by this one, murnong + potatoes + wattles (the kinds tolerant of Aotearoa's climate, the further south they grow there, the further north along the coast they'll grow) would be a very interesting set of introductions to that region. It would be similar to the pre-existing reliance on semi-domesticated root plants like camas and wapato and harvesting acorns. OTL this led to farming potatoes (obtained mostly from the Spanish and Russians) which helped bolster the continually declining population numbers during the repeated epidemics (there's many parallels to the New Zealand Musket Wars). Although I don't know how much difference it will make from OTL since even if they get more new crops and trees, they also get more new diseases and it still doesn't fix the root challenge in the PNW regarding the very simple farming tradition (i.e. little concept of fertiliser and reluctance to devote the resources toward clearing new farmland from the vast forests).

Wattles might be the most consequential, if they can survive in the Center Coast of BC and southeastern Alaska (the climate is similar to the southern parts of South Island). OTL there was a native trade in acorns for many centuries that helped spread and preserve many populations of the Oregon white oak (Quercus garryana) which formed an important source of food (although perhaps not as important as acorns were in California or southern Oregon). But wattles function similarly and unlike the Oregon oak, they would grow much further north and provide an additional source of nutritious food and perhaps wood on islands and coasts. The biggest issue (aside from the thorns!) would probably be the lack of knowledge in managing them, where if introduced they'd be managed in a similar way to oaks (i.e. making sure to scorch the land to discourage other trees from overtaking the oak prairie) rather than the precise orchards of wattles the Aururians (and Aotearoans?) create. But even "feral" they should prove highly useful for the natives of BC and Alaska who lack local access to acorns and the wattles would no doubt spread by trade to as far north as they possibly could.