Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

If Tjunini really is attacked, there's no way the Dutch avoid getting drawn into this. And their arms trade to Tjibarr is probably going to be cranked into overdrive once the big Yaluma is declared, so it's not as though they're particularly uninvolved to begin with. I wonder if some historians will prefer to categorize the early 1700s as an extended period of all-consuming conflict in East Aururia, from which no Aururian people or European company with interests in Aururia can escape?

I really fear for the Yadji, though. If they ever fall out with the English, I doubt the latter will have much difficulty making a second Tiyanjara out of the Giratji, with Gurndjit as its capital. And this (mis)adventure in the Cider Isle... the Tjunini have been fighting for centuries, and their sense of independent nationhood will only make coordinating resistance easier. I can see this whole thing ending with Kurnawal cries for external mediation and then an English-forced status quo ante, much to the embarassment of the Yadji court.

Just how many minor cultures along the coast are there? Have most of the ones not discussed yet submitted to the Hunter or otherwise will without much of a fight? Could be a good place to get recruits from since they seem to have suffered the brunt of European imperialism as of this point.

Which seas?
The Hunter's ambitions stretch from the Gulf of Carpenteria/Torres Strait in the north (Yalatji are a little vague on the geography), the Tasman Sea in the east, and Bass Strait in the south.

Two thoughts of connection.

Given the horsemen’s control of the Lower Hunter, does this mean that there are figuratively Newcastle Knights?
:evilsmile:

I still doubt that any states will manage an Ethiopia Siam or Japan, but unless China happens there’s a decent chance of an Indian situation, possibly Indonesian.
Simple geography makes it hard to pull a Japan, since they can't start out with a period of (relative) seclusion that lets them keep outsiders away for a while. The closest possible analogy to that would have been the peoples of the *Hunter, and that didn't work out very well for them even without direct European intervention.

An Ethiopia is also hard as they lack the geographic equivalent (serious highlands) and Christian aspect which helped out Ethiopia.

Siam, well... that would depend on having someone to be a buffer between. Not an impossible prospect, but would only apply to a few key states, not most of Aururia.

The Tgharrling invasion’s not only is going to reshape the geopolitical surface of Aururia, it’ll definitely change the Aururians themselves too. Think about it, with the huge explosion of cattle and the rapid expansion of the Hunter, I can see lactose intolerance being dealt with due to the influx in dairy items (do they drink mare milk and make cottage or make dairy based items?). It also resembles the Mongol expansions into Central Asia which pretty much caused huge movements of people, and the agglomeration of people groups, like how Turkic and Mongol groups intermixed, or how Turkic tribes migrated in all directions.
There's certainly going to be some lasting consequences, although obviously much of this depends on how things play out after the Hunter's reign ends (since these are longer-term considerations). The larger that the stabilised borders of the Dominion are, the more mixing and the more shared influence there will be. Naturally, if the stable borders of the Dominion are from Cape York to Bass Strait, then that's quite a large area for mixing.

In terms of usage of dairy, the most common way to make it is to allow it to ferment into youghurt, which is relatively simple to make and relatively portable. A small amount of milk is consumed fresh; the Yalatji-Butjupa by now have gotten very good at figuring out what's a safe level of consumption. To a lesser degree, they make various kinds of farmers' cheeses which are relatively easy to prepare and store.

As to whether lactose tolerance will evolve... maybe. I'm not sure of the probability of an original mutation appearing, but when it does appear it would spread relatively rapidly thereafter.

I can see a whole new group of people born from the mixing of the several Aururian groups brought together under the Hunter.
In terms of linguistic assimilation, languages from the same language family seem to be assimilated much more easily. (Compare how Arabic largely replaced Aramaic which largely replaced previous Semitic languages). Languages from different language families seem to be much more likely to last. So in other words, most of the Gunnagalic-speaking areas should show some degree of assimilation, while the Bungudjimay would probably be another story.

Great chapter, and now the Five Rivers invasion begins! *Victorian imperialism in *Tasmania is, of course, an objectively positive thing.
It has taken them a while to get to the Five Rivers, but that has always been the key target.

Conquest of *Tasmania is one of those things which some would be surprised hasn't been attempted earlier. The main reason for that is because the Yadji have always been concerned about getting bogged down in attempted conquest there while risking renewed war from the Five Rivers and/or revolts in their own provinces. The Five Rivers now have something much greater to concern themselves with, and in a sense the most likely people to revolt (the mainland Kurnawal) have already done so, hence the Regent is more inclined to make the attempt.

If Tjunini really is attacked, there's no way the Dutch avoid getting drawn into this. And their arms trade to Tjibarr is probably going to be cranked into overdrive once the big Yaluma is declared, so it's not as though they're particularly uninvolved to begin with. I wonder if some historians will prefer to categorize the early 1700s as an extended period of all-consuming conflict in East Aururia, from which no Aururian people or European company with interests in Aururia can escape?
The Dutch certainly have a lot of decisions to make. Before the rise of the Hunter, the Dutch and English trading companies had settled into a more or less stable partition of areas of influence. Decades of warfare had taught them that they were both unlikely to dislodge the other entirely from the continent, and that it was cheaper to stick with existing areas of influence that spend vast amounts of blood and treasure trying to conquer more. The Dutch certainly do consider Tjibarr a key part of their area of influence (a claim which tends to provoke amused smiles in Tjibarr-of-the-Lakes), although for a long time now they have only controlled the plurality of Tjibarri exports (the combined trade with France, Nuttana and England is larger than that with the Dutch)

The rise of the Hunter has certainly been a circuit-breaker in this arrangement. Decades of European influence over the spice-trading areas of the east coast have been casually brushed aside, the Five Rivers is under invasion. Now the Dutch would see any Yadji invasion of the Cider Isle as the English breaking the unwritten partition treaty. There are opportunities for new players to get involved, with the new Oriental Company looking to break into the spice trade, the French company always looking to expand their influence, and even perhaps a time for previously minor players (Swedes and Danes) to stake a claim.

I really fear for the Yadji, though. If they ever fall out with the English, I doubt the latter will have much difficulty making a second Tiyanjara out of the Giratji, with Gurndjit as its capital. And this (mis)adventure in the Cider Isle... the Tjunini have been fighting for centuries, and their sense of independent nationhood will only make coordinating resistance easier. I can see this whole thing ending with Kurnawal cries for external mediation and then an English-forced status quo ante, much to the embarassment of the Yadji court.
I'll note that different observers of the Yadji have made different predictions about what will happen to them. Some of them believe that the Land of Five Directions is in the brink of civil war, while others have thought that they have the power to conquer the Cider Isle. It's certainly true that the Tjunini have a long sense of nationhood, although they have experienced some serious setbacks in recent years - the Kurnawal and now Maori have pushed them out of considerable former territory.

But the biggest problem is that the EIC does not control the Yadji foreign policy. They never really did, though they had considerable influence. Now, as the Regent has rather bluntly pointed out, there is an alternate supplier. Even if the EIC is trying to mediate peace in the Cider Isle, the Regent can just tell them to go jump into the sea and contract out to the Oriental Company instead.

Just how many minor cultures along the coast are there? Have most of the ones not discussed yet submitted to the Hunter or otherwise will without much of a fight? Could be a good place to get recruits from since they seem to have suffered the brunt of European imperialism as of this point.
Depends how far down the east coast you mean. On the coast, the Dominion now controls everything between the former Kiyungu and *Sydney, for a given level of control. (They have obtained formal submission from those who claim to rule each area, though they haven't gone into every town and installed new governors).

A list of the main cultures in that region that have been submitted (other than Daluming and Murrginhi):

Kallibin: Murwillumbah, New South Wales (small chiefdom south of the Kiyungu)
Gul Parree: Mullumbimby, New South Wales. Capital of an eponymous chiefdom centred on the Parree (Brunswick River, NSW).
Warrbi Confederacy: A Dutch-backed confederacy of chiefdoms along the Yimir (Richmond River, NSW).
Gumwalla: Carnham, New South Wales. An independent chiefdom near northern Daluming.
Bimdulla: Kindee, New South Wales. An independent chiefdom near southern Daluming.
Wirapai: Laurieton, New South Wales. An independent chiefdom near southern Daluming.
Narranuk: Taree, New South Wales. Capital of the Loomal chiefdom and minor supplier of spices.
Weenurundi: Bulahdelah, New South Wales. A small chiefdom north of Murrginhi. While small in territory, it is extremely wealthy due to holding a near-monopoly of alum which is traded across eastern Aururia.

All of these are now conquered, and to one level or another have supplied recruits to the Dominion's forces.

In terms of further conquests or influence south of *Sydney, that is unlikely in the short term. The geography does not favour that; the further south things go, the higher and more difficult to cross the mountains are between the coast and the interior. It's also more difficult to travel north-south along the coast as the geography is more rugged and the roads are worse. This essentially forces the Hunter to choose between going after the Five Rivers or going further down the coast, ever further from the Dominion and ever more vulnerable to seaborne raids. That's not a difficult choice.

In the longer-term, of course, things may change.

When you said the Hunter was going to conquer the English for a moment I thought you were going to throw realism out the window and have him actually invade England.

Also... Nice to know he's not a monster.

As to whether lactose tolerance will evolve... maybe. I'm not sure of the probability of an original mutation appearing, but when it does appear it would spread relatively rapidly thereafter.
Pretty low. It only happened 4 times in all of OTL, once in Europe, twice in the middle East and once in Africa. What would be plausible is for the gene to be introduced by Europeans and/or Arabs.

If squabbling between two English trading companies causes both to lose access to spices especially to the Dutch (who, being a fairly minor power might be more willing to trade with the Dominion on its terms), that would cause the British(English?) Government to apply a LOT of pressure. I could see BOTH companies being replaced by direct government action, including shipping out several regiments of Regular Army. It COULD even cause an nth Anglo-Dutch war (can't remember the current count ittl).

I wonder if a Yadji invasion would provoke greater cooperation or conflict between the Tjunini and Kurnawal... they cooperated pretty well against the Maori, but old hatreds die slowly. Perhaps though this is part of the groundwork for a four-way federation on the Cider Isle between the Tjunini, Kurnawal, Palawa, and Maori... probably not though.

Is it wrong that I kinda want to watch the Hunters empire crash and burn and him get served a karmaburger by the people he's currently trying to conquer? that aside this story's fantastic keep up the good work :)

When you said the Hunter was going to conquer the English for a moment I thought you were going to throw realism out the window and have him actually invade England.

Also... Nice to know he's not a monster.
The Hunter would need to be doing very well indeed to be in a position to conquer England. :cool:

He's not a complete monster, at least. His rules are actually fairly simple: submit and live. Refuse to submit and Bad Things happen.

Pretty low. It only happened 4 times in all of OTL, once in Europe, twice in the middle East and once in Africa. What would be plausible is for the gene to be introduced by Europeans and/or Arabs.
I understand that recent research suggests that lactose tolerance evolved 3 times in separate African populations (here is a good summary). Still, the broader point still stands that it hasn't evolved that frequently, and expecting it to show up immediately in Aururian populations would probably be implausible.

A possibility which intrigues me more is that there is evidence that some non-lactose-tolerant populations genetics-wise (eg some peoples in Somalia) can still consume significant amounts of milk (500+ ml per day) without any ill-effects from lactose. This is hypothesised to be due to different gut flora which digests lactose in a way which does not lead to ill-effects. It would be interesting if something like that spread amongst the Yalatji-Butjupa, since that kind of effect can evolve and spread much faster than a lactose-tolerance gene itself can spread among humans.

If squabbling between two English trading companies causes both to lose access to spices especially to the Dutch (who, being a fairly minor power might be more willing to trade with the Dominion on its terms), that would cause the British(English?) Government to apply a LOT of pressure. I could see BOTH companies being replaced by direct government action, including shipping out several regiments of Regular Army. It COULD even cause an nth Anglo-Dutch war (can't remember the current count ittl).
At this point the Dutch East India Company is actually the most successful corporation in the world, by a fair margin. It was in OTL more profitable and carried a greater volume of goods than the EIC until some time in the first half of the eighteenth century (I forget the exact year), and the EIC got a boost in OTL due to the Anglo-Dutch Union driving some increased financial reforms in London which improved the financial backing of the EIC. ITTL, the VOC has some considerable additional profits from Aururia (gold, silver, sandalwood, kunduri, jeeree, additional spices, and miscellaneous other goods), and so remains ahead of the EIC. The Dutch are also a more significant power than at this point in OTL, too, due in part to some additional land (including Antwerp), and also because they came off proportionately better population-wise out of the Aururian plagues, as the Netherlands were more of an immigrant magnet and thus the population decline was comparatively less bad than the rest of Europe.

That said, the competition between English (no union of parliaments ITTL, or at least not at this point, so English not British) companies is deliberate government policy. There were some similar sentiments in OTL of course, leading to a rival English EIC, although the original EIC shareholders dominated most of that company. ITTL, the absolute monarch James II viewed the power of the EIC lobby as a threat, and took the opportunity to set up a rival company and sell off most of its shares as a valuable fundraiser (though keeping about 20% in the possession of the Crown as a nice source of personal revenue).

The rule was that the Oriental Company could freely set up trade in any region where the EIC did not have formal control at the time of its formation, and/or where it loses control. So the Oriental Company cannot go interfering with Durigal, but there is no rule to stop them from, say, shipping Yadji troops to the Tjunini, since the Tjunini are not part of EIC formal inluance. And similarly, the EIC never had a formal monopoly with the Kiyungu, and have lost their one with Daluming, and so the Oriental Company is free to trade there if they can.

The actions of both companies could, of course, set up another Anglo-Dutch War. There were still three of them ITTL, although at different dates and with somewhat different outcomes (Dutch were broadly victorious but some territorial concessions made to the English). They are unlikely to see English Regulars come out purely to stop inter-company rivalry, though the English government may take over control of warfare with the Dutch if it deems it more effective to do so.

I wonder if a Yadji invasion would provoke greater cooperation or conflict between the Tjunini and Kurnawal... they cooperated pretty well against the Maori, but old hatreds die slowly. Perhaps though this is part of the groundwork for a four-way federation on the Cider Isle between the Tjunini, Kurnawal, Palawa, and Maori... probably not though.
The Cider Isle is still a complicated mess, so a Yadji invasion would just be adding to the complexities, basically. Broadly speaking, I would expect the Kurnawal to stand aside officially but still do their best to make sure that the Yadji do not become too entrenched.

Is it wrong that I kinda want to watch the Hunters empire crash and burn and him get served a karmaburger by the people he's currently trying to conquer? that aside this story's fantastic keep up the good work :)
I can certainly get why people might have that view of the Hunter. There seems to be a broad range of different views about what the Hunter's prospects of success should be, ranging from "conquer the lot" to "have his realm collapse into nothing." I do have a view on the most likely outcome for the Hunter, though I'm not saying what it is (yet).

Lands of Red and Gold #120: The Price of Burren
Lands of Red and Gold #120: The Price of Burren

“We have no current plans for releasing an Aururian-themed setting for W&W. If we do, though, the Crusades era would have to be the basis. Mystique, swashbuckling, and the opportunity for anyone to better their lot in life. Set in a time of valiant heroes, mysterious immortals, overthrow of the old order, fading religions of head-hunters and caste-thinkers, and wealth to plunder. You’d hardly even need to add otherworldly beings.”
- Marlon Mylläri, co-creator of Wizards & Warriors, in Ampersand magazine, 1967

Carl Ashkettle has asked many questions of the man who calls himself Clements. Reaching the era of the Hunter offered one of the greatest highlights, one which he has gladly sought out. Clements has said much of the early crusades, but reaching the time of the Fifth Crusade marks, perhaps, the most interesting period of all.

Ashkettle says, “Let us turn, then, to the invasion of Yigutji, as part of the Fifth Crusade. You were still a herald then?”

“Indeed. That remained unchanged throughout all the Yalumas. Heralds marked the closest thing which the old era had to diplomats. Language skills won me that role – but you know all that. I stood alongside the Hunter and Amity Nyuman, carrying the blue banner, and listened as the Hunter offered Yigutji one last chance to submit.”

“He really gave them that?”

“As per his common practice. The Yigutji king was there, Puckapunyal, together with a couple of his officials, though I must confess that their names have long since slipped from my memory. The Hunter declared that he had beaten back the armies that first opposed him, that the city was surrounded, that he could find more food where they could not, and that the Tjibarri were a long way away.”

“Were they? The armies so far away, I mean?”

“Far enough that they did not matter. The Hunter said that if the city surrendered now, all would be spared unless they breached their surrender by taking up arms. He said that the king would be required to go into exile but guaranteed safe-conduct to Gutjanal or Tjibarr. If they refused, the city would face his wrath.”

“Even I know which way that decision went.”

Clements sighs. “They refused. More fool them. The Hunter always kept his word.”

23 June 1719
Yigutji [Wagga Wagga], Kingdom of Yigutji

The walls of Yigutji stood ahead in the distance, while behind him at an almost equal distance, part of the Dominion’s greatest army waited. Most of the rest of that army encircled Yigutji, with the others making patrols and raids in other parts of the kingdom, though none south of the Matjidi [Murrumbidgee River].

Kullerin had heard so much about this city, one of the three great cities of the Five Rivers, and the one most detested by the Hunter. Now, after several Yalumas, and many great battles, including the first major defeat of Five Rivers armies, the Hunter had brought the Dominion’s forces to encircle Yigutji’s capital.

Kullerin carried a banner that was itself of pure blue, but which had been temporarily daubed with four large dots of white ochre [1] to demonstrate how many people could attend the parley, including the herald. The Hunter, naturally, led the Dominion forces, with two of his Warego accompanying him, Malligo and Yongalla.

The Yigutjian side had King Puckapunyal, a man dressed in elaborate robes of bright orange, with pointed head adornments and what looked almost like wings rising from his shoulders. Accompanying him was another man introduced as the Lord of Winter, who wore crimson robes which were of similar style but less ornate, and someone called Warmaster Katawool, who wore mail. The herald, Kullerin’s counterpart, carried a similar white-dotted blue banner but remained nameless despite being ready to act as an interpreter.

With the introductions done, the Hunter started to speak. “You have-”

Puckapunyal said, “This is my kingdom. The right of first address is mine.”

The Hunter gave his usual grin. “Speak, then, if it pleases you.” They spoke in Nuttana, which Kullerin understood, and so did Malligo. Yongalla did not, so far as he knew.

“You have won a battle, but you have not won a war. The city still stands. Its walls have never been breached in siege, not by Tjibarr, not by Gutjanal, not by highlanders, not by Durigal. You will never take the city, and without the city, you will never conquer the kingdom.”

The Hunter said, “I hear many words, said by a man who must use words because he does not have sufficient men of valour and vision. Your armies have been defeated once. They will be defeated again.”

The king said, “Your cavalry is unrivalled. This is inarguable. But while that lets you raid where you please, it has its limits. Unless you can teach horses to climb walls, this will not let you conquer the city.”

“I have more than cavalry,” the Hunter said calmly. “Yigutji will fall, if I press the attack. I give you this opportunity to submit. Surrender the city now, and I will be merciful. All who live within the walls will be spared. Even you, Your Majesty, though you must depart the city and the kingdom and seek refuge elsewhere. So long as you do not return to the lands which were once Yigutji, your life will be safe.”

“You have brought many men in siege,” the king said. “Do you think you can feed them all? Stripping the countryside bare will only work for so long, even without Tjibarri and Gutjanalese soldiers fighting against you.”

The Hunter laughed. “The Neeburra is a land full of cattle, and you ask if I can find food? You would do better to ask if you can find sufficient food within your walls.”

“We have sufficient. More, Yigutji is on the river. What food we lack, we can bring in by boat, something which your cavalry cannot stop.”

He is wrong there. The city of Yigutji was above the river, not on it. Kullerin had been impressed by the many things which had been built on the river. Not just docks; he had seen those before. But there were also many constructions built floating on the river and anchored to the docks. Malligo called them mills and said that they were used to grind wealth-seeds into flour, for making paper, and for other purposes which he did not bother to explain.

Those constructions were all gone now, burned or razed. The Hunter’s forces could stop anything coming in by river. The Kiyungu had made the same mistake at Nyandra [Indooroopilly, QLD], as Kullerin had witnessed. Not that he would point this out unless the Hunter wished it.

“Are you so sure of that?” the Hunter said.

“Are you so sure that you can find food and bring in sufficient herds without risking them?” the king answered.

“Let the Tjibarri try to stop us moving in our herds. It will only make them easier to defeat in open battle, rather than letting them, too, cower behind walls.”

King Puckapunyal turned to Malligo. He spoke in Gunnagal, which Kullerin understood but the Hunter did not. “Malligo, you were honoured in Tjibarr. Why have you betrayed your country by fighting against it and its allies?”

Malligo’s reply came in the Nuttana speech. “I am not betraying my country. I am bettering my country. Who rules a country matters only in so far as it brings the nation toward the right path.”

Malligo looked at Kullerin, and spoke in Yalatji. “Herald, would you be so good as to translate the original question and my answer into Yalatji, so that all here know what was said?”

And so that no-one will accuse you of mistranslating either to conceal your motives. After seeing Malligo’s mind in action over the years, Kullerin felt that he knew him. This was a man whose mind had many turns, but could always be relied on to offer his insight for the Dominion’s advantage. So Kullerin did as requested and translated both statements.

The Hunter grinned at Malligo. “Well said.” He turned back to the Yigutjians. “A last chance to spare your people, Your Majesty. Remember this: I have besieged many cities, and every city I have ever besieged has fallen.”

“Let this be your first defeat, then,” the king said.

“Then we are done here. If I see you alive again, it will be only so I can order your execution.” The Hunter turned his horse around and rode away, leaving the Warego and Kullerin to watch the Yigutjians withdraw back toward their city.

Clements says, “The siege would be difficult. Everyone knew that, even the boldest of the Dominion’s commanders. The city could hold out for many months, perhaps years. The more hot-blooded commanders urged the Hunter to make an assault instead. They said he had more foot-men than ever before, that they had plenty of ropes and ladders, and that the Yigutjians were cowards who would not have the mettle to stand against Dominion forces if they could get atop the walls.”

“Did anyone counsel caution?” Ashkettle asks.

“Perhaps some did. None in my hearing, though. All public speeches favoured the assault.”

29 June 1719
Yigutji, Kingdom of Yigutji

Yigutji. The northernmost of the three great capitals of the Five Rivers. The heir to the imperial legacy. For so long the enemy of Tjibarr. A hatred which had not been forgotten, despite all the long years of official alliance.

And despite Yigutji marching in battle alongside Tjibarr, it is still my enemy. Malligo found that irony amusing, though long years of schooling in the Endless Dance stopped him from showing it on his face. Even living in the Dominion, where openness and frank speaking were encouraged, could not change the habits ingrained in him since childhood. Humour should only be shown when it was called for.

The walls of Yigutji stood high, even when seen from a distance carefully out of musket range. The Hunter did not approach even so close. Not out of fear of attack, but to keep his promise to the Yigutjian monarch that the next time he saw him, he would have him executed. A pity, that, since looking at the walls this closely might remind the Hunter of the difficulties of a direct assault.

“This ground seems as good as any for one prong of the attack,” Yongalla said. “Open ground, too far from the river for any of their boats to fire cannon at us. The walls look strong, but then they look strong everywhere.”

Malligo said, “And the other side of the city is impossible to see, as much for us as for them. The city walls are too high, and no decent hills nearby that offer a view of both sides. Good for us, since it means that they will be more confused whether this prong or the other is a feint.”

Weriyu, one of the lesser commanders accompanying the Warego, said “But that gives a problem. We cannot time both prongs at once. No signals can be seen. Message-riders will take long around this large city.”

Yongalla chuckled. Malligo did so a moment later, since it was expected here.

Yongalla said to Malligo, “Your idea, so you can explain.”

Malligo reached up and pulled up the chain around his neck, displaying what hung on his chest.

“Looks like a gold egg,” Weriyu said.

“Gold would be worth far more than I could dream. This is brass.” He had owned one of these once before, but had needed to sell it for funds before he left Tjibarr. One advantage of returning to the Five Rivers was the opportunity to obtain some decent plunder. A few of his warband had collected four in their battlefield loot; they knew the value better than Yalatji, and so had traded other things for them. In turn, he had claimed this new one as commander’s share.

Weriyu looked more closely at what he held up. “Is that a clock? Very small, if it is.”

“It is. Very small, very finely crafted. When I lived in Tjibarr, we called these Dog Eggs. Named after Dogport, where they are made [2].”

Weriyu said, “Ah. So this divides time into small moments. Enough that choosing the right moment can be done easily. Even for soldiers on opposite sides of the city.”

“Quite. I gave three to the High Warego. One is now his personal possession, and he will allocate the other two to the commanders chosen to order both assaults.”

“Very useful,” Weriyu said. “Has a day been set for the attacks?”

“Not yet, but I expect it will be soon,” Malligo said.

Not that synchronising the attacks would help much in overcoming the fundamental problems with this assault. He truly doubted that this could succeed, but on this matter, the Hunter’s mind was made up. Malligo had ensured that the Harmony Battalion remained on horseback waiting for raids from the northern gate, rather than being anywhere near the main battles. That would avoid any need to bring them close to the walls and expose them to musket fire when they could not properly fire back.

“The assault failed, I take it?” Ashkettle asks.

“Naturally. Over-ambitious, under-equipped, and with defenders who still had high morale. Proof that even the Hunter could make mistakes. Not that anyone said so at the time.”

“What happened then?”

“The perfect chance to hurry up and wait, as the saying goes. The siege dragged on for several months, though without checking a modern history book I cannot recall how many.”

“I know the dates that the siege happened,” Ashkettle says.

Clements snickers. “It matters not. I experienced the siege as it happened, not with a calendar. I remember feeling that this siege felt more real than anything which happened on the previous crusades. None of the cities which had fallen so far were a tenth of Yigutji’s size.”

“The city was that great?”

“The size makes it sound more impregnable than it was in truth. Like everywhere, Yigutji had lost many people due to the plagues. But the walls still stood, in good repair, imposing in bulk, and with enough soldiers remaining to defend them. Yigutji was ancient, it was the seat of the old empire, it was my childhood home. It was just so real.”

This letter is translated from an original parchment document preserved in the Museum of the Moon in Yuragir [Coffs Harbour] [3]. It purports to be a letter from Yongalla, one of the Dominion high commanders during the Yaluma era, written to his wife who is believed to have then been living near Cankoona [Toowoomba]. Internal evidence in the letter states that it was written during the siege of Yigutji, in early July 1719.

The original document was part of the famed Mitjigo Collection which the Museum acquired in 1927. There is no convincing explanation of how Mitjigo acquired the letter in the first place. Nevertheless, the balance of scholarly opinion is that the letter is genuine.

Beloved,

I write to you here from outside the walls of Yigutji, one of the great cities of the Five Rivers, now besieged by our valiant armies.

We were victorious against the River-Men armies at [indecipherable part of original] until they fled. Valour had the day, and my warband distinguished itself by killing many of the fleeing enemy Yigutjians. The Tjibarri regrouped to the west and withdrew in good order, defeated but not broken, while the Yigutjians fled back to their capital to cower behind walls. What happened to the Gutjanalese, I know not, but our scouts reported them nowhere nearby, and believed that they have fled to somewhere on the far side of the Matjidi.

Now we have enveloped and laid siege to Yigutji, the city, and it is here where my doubt begins. Assuredly Tjuwagga would find my lack of faith disturbing, but I have a very bad feeling about this siege.

The walls of Yigutji stand higher and larger than any city which we have conquered. Undermining them seems impossible. Once we tried to assault them, sending foot-men with ropes and ladders against the walls, and we lost many men for no accomplishment.

Tjuwagga had been a warleader unparalleled, but he erred in this instance. I hope only that his vision remains clear, and that this choice was merely a mote of dust in his foresight’s eye. Other measures must be found to bring about this city’s fall.

This is a place of wealth, of this you can be assured. I have sent some treasures with this letter, from my share of what our armies claimed from the fallen in our last battle. And this is only a small portion of what they hold within their walls here. If we can succeed in breaking into the city, then we will have plunder and wealth unparalleled.

Be assured that despite my misgivings about the course of this battle, in my person I am still unharmed, and my heart remains pledged to you even when you are out of my sight.

Until the day I can once again hold you in my arms, I remain your loving husband.

(The original is signed with a mostly indecipherable scrawl in the logosyllabic Five Rivers script which was then used for writing Yalatji.)

Ashkettle asks, “How long did the doubt persist?”

Clements says, “Almost to the end. Other sieges had been easier, even though they lasted longer. The failed assault was a major part of that, for all that no-one spoke of it. One failed attack, and a larger city than anything else. Add in the other Five Rivers kingdoms still being around, not attacking, but always out there, somewhere. The doubt may not have been on the men’s lips, but it was in their hearts.”

“What resolved it?”

“French negotiations, a lot of horses, and ultimately purchase of more cannon. We had those used to conquer Murrginhi, naturally. The walls of Yigutji were harder to bombard with cannon, being elevated, and much stouter besides.”

“Did you have any part in the negotiations?”

“No. Nor did the Hunter, directly. I remained near the walls, largely useless, since a herald could not negotiate when both parties refused to meet. At the time, I did not speak French very well anyway. He assigned the negotiations to the new governor he had appointed in Murrginhi. The results worked, though. Many new cannon, and by dint of much horsepower they were brought all the way along the Spice Road to Yigutji.”

“What happened then?”

“The bombardment started, and soon, everyone knew what the outcome would be.”

25 December 1719
Yigutji, Kingdom of Yigutji

The cannons were performing well. Bombardment continued against the walls of Yigutji, at the chosen location on the furthest wall section from the river. The Hunter looked pleased.

Watching from his vantage to the side, Goonawa did not know whether to be pleased or disappointed himself. He knew, without any false modesty, that his fellow Warego considered him second in battle sense to the Hunter himself. He also knew that for the first time, the Hunter had committed a major tactical blunder. He had endeavoured to storm Yigutji, a decision which accomplished naught but bloodshed amongst the foot, and quiet grumblings from many of the men.

If the mistakes continue, how long before I am considered first in battle sense? Goonawa craved such a reputation. If the errors continued, it would strengthen his personal position as a tactician who had not made such blunders. If the siege of Yigutji failed entirely, the Hunter’s reputation would be badly weakened.

Yet capturing Yigutji would break one-third of the River-Men, and provide enough plunder that every Horse-Man would be enriched. A Warego’s share would be greater still. So conquering the city would be a great enrichment, at the price of preserving the Hunter’s reputation.

If Yigutji holds, where to then? The Hunter had united the North-Men and South-Men because of his vision and his skill in battle. If his conquests failed, there would be opportunities. Goonawa was a man who knew how to take advantage of opportunities.

Of course, even a defeat in battle might not be necessary. Goonawa had watched and listened, throughout the Yalumas. The Hunter often took a valiant role in battle. Good for encouraging his soldiers, but it placed himself at risk. Always at risk. So far his luck in battle had held, but what if it failed?

The Hunter had two sons and one daughter, all of them to concubines, and all of them too young. None of them would be considered as leader. Which meant that if the Hunter fell in battle, the right of rule would fall to the strongest.

And Goonawa was surely the strongest.

A shout went up from amongst the cannoneers. Goonawa looked up to see them gesturing at the wall. The nearest section had partly collapsed; the lower part still stood, but the upper portion had fallen over.

“It begins!” the Hunter said. “Goonawa, Kyulibah, attend! Give orders to your auxiliary foot. They are to prepare for first entry into Yigutji, as soon as the breach can be exploited. Once inside... Kill soldiers, first. Once the soldiers have been defeated, anyone else inside the walls may be killed. Those who have fled beyond the city walls shall be spared, unless they are soldiers, or try to fight back.”

“It will be done,” Goonawa said. Wealth it must be, for now. “Yigutji will fall!”

Ashkettle says, “Did news of the cannon boost everyone’s morale so quickly?”

“Soon enough,” Clements says. “They had worked once before. Getting powder and shot there took some doing, but it was arranged. The city’s doom was assured once the cannon were emplaced.”

“What did you see during the fall?”

“Very little, at the time. A herald had no place entering within the walls while combat raged, and afterward, I feared the flames. I remember survivors of the sack fleeing the city, with many of them being cut down as they ran away from the gates. I remember that after the Dominion armies had brought out their plunder, they fired the city. I remember the smoke, rising high above the city, forming a black column that would linger for days. I remember the feeling that this was the end of Yigutji. That this was the end of the city and the kingdom, not just now, but for all time.”

“And it was the end.”

“More or less. A few military remnants fought on for a while, claiming to be representing Yigutji. Nothing meaningful of the kingdom remained after the city’s fall, though. And for the city, it was indeed the end forever. Yigutji was destroyed, its inhabitants dead or fled, and the city would never be rebuilt.”

[1] The white dye which allohistorical Aururians call white ochre is not ochre in a chemical sense, since ochre is a form of iron oxide which is at least yellow in colour, often darker. The white dye is a form of pipe clay that is, however, used in a similar manner to true ochre.

[2] Dogport is historical Port Augusta. It was founded as an imperial trading post, then refounded as a Nangu colonial outpost ruled by an Island-appointed port-captain, despite the surrounding territory being Tjibarri-administered. The Nangu permitted a short-lived Dutch opal-trading outpost in the city between 1644-1654. After an English East India Company raid in 1654, the Nangu closed the permanent Dutch outpost, though they still permitted visitors. With the economic and demographic collapse of the Island in the era of the Great Death (measles) in the early 1660s, Tjibarr claimed formal sovereignty of Dogport in 1668. This city has since developed into the centre of the Tjibarri brass and lead industry, using zinc and lead produced as a by-product of silver mining in Gwee Langta [Broken Hill], and copper and charcoal sourced locally or shipped in from the lands around the historical Spencer Gulf and Gulf St Vincent.

[3] The Museum of the Moon is popularly nicknamed the “Big Banana” due to its crescent-shaped main building (laid out as such to represent the crescent moon) and the ornamental yellow sandstone on its outer walls (the sandstone is mined in a quarry near historical Lismore).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very, very good. It's the second last day of term here in WA; gave my year 7s some word searches so I could read this. Very professional.

Wow. Well, I wonder if the Nguril and Kaoma have any leftover land in the mountains (they did manage to integrate the briyuna all those centuries ago, maybe they could do the same here...) I suppose that Tjibarr will fight on, and likely Gutjanal too. Though I suspect a period of rest and consolidation is coming up for the Dominion, as they reorganize their conquests (probably two provinces, based at Garrkimang and some other city?) and assess revenues.

The appearance of Goonawa on this stage keeps things as interesting as ever. Perhaps Malligo is right to hold onto the habits the Endless Dance left him with.

Finally, how is the area around Coober Pedy doing? I don't remember hearing about it since the Watjubaga chapter from the first thread.

Wish there was a good scene of the Yigutji king getting what was coming to him. Did he just get butchered with the rest of them or did he get a nice execution?

Will we hear more about the lost battle against the Hunter in the coming chapters? Seems like Tjibarr must be pissed.

Are the "Dog Egg" clocks European imports or native Aururian manufacture?

Also, this siege has me wondering - does the Dominion have French advisors to go with the cannon? OTL, Vauban and van Coehoorn were raising siege warfare to a high art in Europe at about this time - do they have ATL counterparts, and if so, how much of that knowledge is filtering into Aururia?

Very, very good. It's the second last day of term here in WA; gave my year 7s some word searches so I could read this. Very professional.
THank you very much. I'll try to get the next chapter or two out during the holidays so you don't need to distract anyone. :evilsmile:

Wow. Well, I wonder if the Nguril and Kaoma have any leftover land in the mountains (they did manage to integrate the briyuna all those centuries ago, maybe they could do the same here...) I suppose that Tjibarr will fight on, and likely Gutjanal too. Though I suspect a period of rest and consolidation is coming up for the Dominion, as they reorganize their conquests (probably two provinces, based at Garrkimang and some other city?) and assess revenues.
There's arguments both for continuing on and for pausing to consolidate. They are still at war with the other Five Rivers states, after all, and those states will probably have no interest in letting them pause, since everyone knows that the conquest will resume afterward. Certainly, if and when they get to the point of holding the Five Rivers entirely, there would probably be a long pause for consolidation after that. That would lead to a number of provinces, divided largely based on which large cities are left in existence. (Those cities which surrender up front would survive, in such a case. Those who didn't... wouldn't.)

The appearance of Goonawa on this stage keeps things as interesting as ever. Perhaps Malligo is right to hold onto the habits the Endless Dance left him with.
Tjibarr might be the only place which formalises things as the Endless Dance, but the dance of politics and maneuvering for power occurs almost everywhere, including among the Warego.

Finally, how is the area around Coober Pedy doing? I don't remember hearing about it since the Watjubaga chapter from the first thread.
These days it's been turned into an opal-mining outpost of Tjibarr. The trade route leads to Dogport, as it did in the past. The difference is that the local people were largely displaced during the Great Dying, so Tjibarr took over opal-mining directly.

Wish there was a good scene of the Yigutji king getting what was coming to him. Did he just get butchered with the rest of them or did he get a nice execution?
The question of what happened to Puckapunyal will be covered in an upcoming post.

Will we hear more about the lost battle against the Hunter in the coming chapters? Seems like Tjibarr must be pissed.
I wasn't planning on covering it in detail, since if I went through every battle in detail the Hunter sequence would be much longer (even just with what's been covered so far). But in brief, the Hunter managed to outflank the Yigutjian forces and break a lot of them. The Tjibarri took losses and withdrew but were not routed; their discipline held and they withdrew covered by their own cavalry. (They don't have anywhere near as much cavalry as the Dominion, but enough to screen their forces during an organised withdrawal).

The Tjibarri are in general not happy with the outcome, but as the saying goes, when you find two Gunnagal you find five opinions, so there's probably plenty of Tjibarri who are trying to find opportunity in it too.

Are the "Dog Egg" clocks European imports or native Aururian manufacture?
Native Aururian manufactured products. Tjibarr has some very good clockmakers these days, and their products would be considered of at least average quality even within Europe.

Also, this siege has me wondering - does the Dominion have French advisors to go with the cannon? OTL, Vauban and van Coehoorn were raising siege warfare to a high art in Europe at about this time - do they have ATL counterparts, and if so, how much of that knowledge is filtering into Aururia?
There were French crews operating with the first cannon (in Murrginhi) so that the Dominion forces could learn how to operate them effectively, but none of those crews have continued as far as Yigutji. Broadly speaking, the Hunter values European-made equipment but does not really value European advice on how to use it.

There would be equivalents to Vauban and van Coehoorn still developing the art of siege in Europe, but only limited knowledge of that has filtered through to Aururia. Even the Tjibarri and Gutjanalese, who have learned to make personal firearms by now that match those in Europe, haven't quite caught up to European levels of cannon-making yet.

Last edited:
That’s kind of interesting seeing the Hunter using timed attacks. Did he just pull a Hulagu on Yigutji? I can see this temporary setback that he experienced early during the siege making him more cautious and more strict.

Give me some idea of the percentage of Australia/Aururia The Dominion has conquered and which quadrant (I'm guessing South East, Victoria/New South Wales area).

Its nice to see more of Ashkettle and Clements
They do tend to pop up from time to time. There will be at least one more scene featuring them before the conclusion of the Hunter sequence.

That’s kind of interesting seeing the Hunter using timed attacks. Did he just pull a Hulagu on Yigutji? I can see this temporary setback that he experienced early during the siege making him more cautious and more strict.
The Hunter's rules are in some ways similar to what various Mongol leaders had, including Hulagu and Genghis: submit when invited, or if not, pick on a city to make an example of the others. Destroying Yigutji (the city) will certainly be enough of an example to get the remaining cities of the kingdom of Yigutji to submit, similarly how the example of what happened to Baghdad helped to get submission from its neighbours. It won't work as well at getting other cities, say Tjibarr-of-the-Lakes to submit, because Tjibarr is one of those cities which is genuinely almost impossible to conquer. It is almost completely surrounded by water, and what is left is very easily flooded and defended by boat. Of course, having one impregnable city doesn't help if the rest of your kingdom is being reduced to ruins.

The timed attacks was one of those things which had to be suggested to the Hunter (Malligo is no fool), but he certainly figured out how to try making good use of it.

Whether the Hunter will learn from this lesson... well, possibly. He did win in the end, and he now has even more cannon to play with. Of course, as Malligo pointed out earlier, the Five Rivers still have a major advantage in population even with the fall of Yigutji. If they have a couple of battles with Tjibarr where both sides bleed but neither actually breaks the other - as, indeed, the Tjibarri were not broken during the previous battle - then that actually hurts the Dominion much more than it does Tjibarr.

Give me some idea of the percentage of Australia/Aururia The Dominion has conquered and which quadrant (I'm guessing South East, Victoria/New South Wales area).
I haven't been having much luck with maps for the Hunter sequence - the original mapmaker and someone who volunteered to draw a replacement are both incommunicado. I think I'll have to try drawing something myself, though it will be extremely crude.

In the meantime, as a rough-guide, south-eastern corner of Queensland, all of coastal new South Wales as far as Sydney, while across the mountains it controls the interior almost to the Victorian border. The western border of the Dominion is (very roughly) at the town of Balranald (OTL), and running more northwest from that to around the town of Wilcannia. They don't exercise any meaningful control west of the Darling from there.

Nice chart of these groups. Now, I've always liked the Raduru people since the intro chapter, but do they even still exist after all the intrigue and conflicts with European imperialists and the Maori? Are their leaders afraid of the Hunter or willing to ally with him if they felt it was in their best interest?

I wasn't planning on covering it in detail, since if I went through every battle in detail the Hunter sequence would be much longer (even just with what's been covered so far). But in brief, the Hunter managed to outflank the Yigutjian forces and break a lot of them. The Tjibarri took losses and withdrew but were not routed; their discipline held and they withdrew covered by their own cavalry. (They don't have anywhere near as much cavalry as the Dominion, but enough to screen their forces during an organised withdrawal).

The Tjibarri are in general not happy with the outcome, but as the saying goes, when you find two Gunnagal you find five opinions, so there's probably plenty of Tjibarri who are trying to find opportunity in it too.

I'll have to admit I was a bit disappointed, since there was at least some descriptions of the other battles in the Hunter sequence, and the first engagement against the Five Rivers forces seems like something that should get the same attention.

I still hope to see the shakeup in Tjibarr and Gutjunal after this defeat.

I was thinking for a minute that the Hunter would succeed at the assault using the clocks to time it, and that's part of why Julius Sanford (ATL's Jared Diamond) called his book Cannon, Clocks & Crops. I was very disappointed to find out this innovation failed, and that the traditional method of buying cannons from Europeans was what won the siege. I got a bit of a Constantine XI vibe, as the last remnant of a great empire (be it Byzantium/Rome or Watjubaga) is battered down by a superior invader using superior technology, and this last emperor is killed in the process.

The Hunter's rules are in some ways similar to what various Mongol leaders had, including Hulagu and Genghis: submit when invited, or if not, pick on a city to make an example of the others. Destroying Yigutji (the city) will certainly be enough of an example to get the remaining cities of the kingdom of Yigutji to submit, similarly how the example of what happened to Baghdad helped to get submission from its neighbours. It won't work as well at getting other cities, say Tjibarr-of-the-Lakes to submit, because Tjibarr is one of those cities which is genuinely almost impossible to conquer. It is almost completely surrounded by water, and what is left is very easily flooded and defended by boat. Of course, having one impregnable city doesn't help if the rest of your kingdom is being reduced to ruins.

I wonder what Aururian river warfare tech is like. Seems like the Dominion can revolutionise it assuming they have a good enough commander (the "river warego" I guess). The Murray and its tributaries seem like a pain in the ass to navigate riverboats on, so that would influence how this tech would work.

Whether the Hunter will learn from this lesson... well, possibly. He did win in the end, and he now has even more cannon to play with. Of course, as Malligo pointed out earlier, the Five Rivers still have a major advantage in population even with the fall of Yigutji. If they have a couple of battles with Tjibarr where both sides bleed but neither actually breaks the other - as, indeed, the Tjibarri were not broken during the previous battle - then that actually hurts the Dominion much more than it does Tjibarr.

The Hunter will need a lot of cannons for the coming campaign, since there's going to be a lot of walls that will need to be smashed down.