Lands of Bronze and Fire - An American Domestication Timeline, Take Two

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
no native etymology or anything of the sort?
Not to my recollection. "Uurung" is one of the relatively few holdover terms from the original 2013 iteration of the timeline when I was much more lax about that sort of thing. I'm sort of stuck with it now.
It's been a very long time since I've actually read any TLs on here. Graduated with two BAs in Anthropology and American Indian studies, and have definitely learned exponentially more than I knew in 2015.

One day I'll have to sit down and re-read stuff like this. I can only hope I'll be able to enjoy it the same
Well, welcome back! I don't have formal education on anthropology or Native American studies myself, so you're bound to find mistakes here, both strictly technical and otherwise. The one thing I can say to my own credit is that I try a lot harder to research rigorously now than I did years ago back when I started this project, and make an honest attempt to approach the native cultures portrayed with respect.

Last edited:
Just got caught up on this, hoping to see more! Big fan of the civilizations that are developing here. Curious to see how far the changes start to fly, and how far north and south the domestications spread. Central America is pretty geographically insurmountable in places, but if the naval developments happen, perhaps the Inca could benefit as well. Indeed, if those naval developments do happen, could easily see stuff spreading to the Taino and other indigenous folks of the Caribbean.

Just got caught up on this, hoping to see more! Big fan of the civilizations that are developing here. Curious to see how far the changes start to fly, and how far north and south the domestications spread. Central America is pretty geographically insurmountable in places, but if the naval developments happen, perhaps the Inca could benefit as well. Indeed, if those naval developments do happen, could easily see stuff spreading to the Taino and other indigenous folks of the Caribbean.
almost thought Huehuecoyotl came back and showed what he cooked

The trouble begins one cold and lonely Tuuwayan night in the 13th Century BCE. Some enterprising individual, weeks into the trek across the deserts, enjoys a tender moment with one of his animals, perhaps inspiring centuries of later stereotypes of the Tuuwaya as a land of lonely men and nervous sheep.

Brecon (brecknock) Beacons | mountain range, Wales, United Kingdom |  Britannica

No offense to any Welshmen here, I don't actually think you guys shag sheep. I couldn't help myself from making this obvious joke.

Last edited:

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Thanks! These are things that will come up in the next few hundred years, so stay tuned.
almost thought Huehuecoyotl came back and showed what he cooked
I am a she. :) The eagerness is definitely appreciated; I'm hoping to make the time to continue soon now that work and my other projects have calmed down.

Not to my recollection. "Uurung" is one of the relatively few holdover terms from the original 2013 iteration of the timeline when I was much more lax about that sort of thing. I'm sort of stuck with it now.
It's almost certainly onomatopoeic. Knowing the many and varied noises camelids make, a sort of "oorrr-nnnggg" sound is well within the realm of possibility.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
That could certainly be the case. This is reminding me that I meant to do an update about the different domestic uurung breeds at some point. I will probably do that soon.