La Tierra Fortunada: A Better, and Nicer, Mexico.

"It's been three thousand years..."

JK man, glad to see you're still working on this. Your TL was one of my inspirations for mine, and it's good to know it's still alive.

Thanks, Not Henry G. I appreciate that, and I'm glad I inspired you. :cool:

Just one more bit before I try to finish up the Liberty Creek scuffle-

The citizens of Liberty Creek put up a truly valiant fight from the very start; although they only had a limited amount of ammunition available to them, they managed to inflict some serious pain on Vega's army fairly early on. In fact, so hardy were the men of Liberty Creek, that even one of Vega's adjutants was impressed:

[snip]

Even so, however, the reality of their situation did catch up to the town's defenders, and by the evening of the 27th, ammo stores were running dangerously low.....

Last edited:
And so, here's the coup de grace we've all been waiting for:

Spooner's own personal homestead was located a couple of miles northwest of the center of the community, on top of a small bluff; and it just so happened to be not too far from Vega's position. Only he and a few associates occupied the house at the time, and not many bullets in between the lot of them; on top of that, the building had suffered quite a bit of damage from the holes that the Mexicans had shot into it. Spooner realized that he needed to bide a little time to try to figure out another plan of action...a decision that would pay off quite well for him.

Later that night, Vega would move forward by a mile, confident that he could crush the town of Liberty Creek, once and for all, even boasting in front of his underlings:

[snip]

That confidence, however, would be cut short, and quicker than anyone could have realized. The fighting restarted at 9 o'clock, and the Mexicans continued to slowly gain on the Texians throughout the noon hour, as the Texians prayed for a miracle. And soon enough, they would get one.

At 1:52 p.m., as Vega was preparing to move his flank forward, a shot suddenly rang out from a strange place, as if out of nowhere-the General had no time to figure out exactly where it came from before the round punched right thru his left leg; the General cried out in pain, and loud enough to the point where he could be heard all the way to the battlefield,
in the unusually cold and crisp air of that December afternoon. The Mexicans stopped advancing, and many turned around, with some going back to check on their leader, and that moment quickly came when one of the Yankees amongst the Texians yelled, “All men, open fire!”, and it caught them all off guard; several dozen of them went down within only twenty seconds.

Five minutes afterwards, one of the horsemen who'd gone to check on Vega had run back to his comrades and confirmed that it was indeed true; the General had been shot. After that, many of the Mexicans gradually began to retreat away from the community, with the last soldiers still fighting having surrendered at 5 p.m.-and with that, the siege of Liberty Creek was over, and with it, the Mexican war effort finally began to totally collapser; for this brave act, Lysander Spooner would earn his place in the annals of the history of the Republic of Texas, and the states of West and East Texas to follow.....
Yep, that's right: a Yankee just helped save Texas from the clutches of Santa Anna. :D

Last edited:
Well, since a couple of the other Mexico TLs have been updated, I thought I'd go ahead and try to rekindle some interest in mine, too.

Anyone have any ideas on what you'd like to see happen ITTL going forwards? I'm all ears. :D:cool:

I'll have to re-read this because the first time I did I got confused really bad lol. Could I get a summary?

Sure.

In a nutshell, this world began to diverge from ours in April of 1839, when a certain heretofore relatively unknown and obscure lawyer from Vermont just happened to catch wind of the ongoing settlement of Texas. He decided to brave it out and set up shop in the Hill Country, founding a small town not far from Austin.

Meanwhile, some things that happened in Mexico, and with the Mexican leadership, went just a little differently-and so did a few small conflicts with the Republic of Texas.....which, because of just a few more things going pear-shaped, merged into a full blown war for Texas's survival.....at this point in the TL, the Texians had just begun to permanently beat back the Mexican forces.

This would play an important part of the history of both the U.S. and Mexico(as well as West & East Texas), as this was one of the main underlying causes of the TTL (first) Mexican-American War; many hundreds of American citizens, including some non-combatants, died in that war. The final confrontation, however, would actually come after a Mexican "police action" in California.....what happened, and how, will be revealed in further posts, but, needless to say, although it won't end well for Mexico, it *will* ultimately provide that final spark for a much needed series of positive changes in Mexico's government, which will have long-term consequences to come.....

Sure.

In a nutshell, this world began to diverge from ours in April of 1839, when a certain heretofore relatively unknown and obscure lawyer from Vermont just happened to catch wind of the ongoing settlement of Texas. He decided to brave it out and set up shop in the Hill Country, founding a small town not far from Austin.

Meanwhile, some things that happened in Mexico, and with the Mexican leadership, went just a little differently-and so did a few small conflicts with the Republic of Texas.....which, because of just a few more things going pear-shaped, merged into a full blown war for Texas's survival.....at this point in the TL, the Texians had just begun to permanently beat back the Mexican forces.

This would play an important part of the history of both the U.S. and Mexico(as well as West & East Texas), as this was one of the main underlying causes of the TTL (first) Mexican-American War; many hundreds of American citizens, including some non-combatants, died in that war. The final confrontation, however, would actually come after a Mexican "police action" in California.....what happened, and how, will be revealed in further posts, but, needless to say, although it won't end well for Mexico, it *will* ultimately provide that final spark for a much needed series of positive changes in Mexico's government, which will have long-term consequences to come.....

Cool. This is gonna be Mexico learning harsh lessons before striking back, huh? Neat.

Cool. This is gonna be Mexico learning harsh lessons before striking back, huh? Neat.

Niiice, so Mexico is gonna get beaten so bad they'll finally get their stuff together. Then it's payback time.
Yeah, man, definitely keep it up.

Oh yeah, Mexico will learn some fairly harsh lessons, but will definitely get their act back together. However, though, I'll go ahead and reveal one key element of the second U.S.-Mexico conflict; unlike the first war, this one will be a defensive war, on Mexico's part.