La Tierra Fortunada: A Better, and Nicer, Mexico.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
There would be one last victory of note for the Mexicans, however. Just down the road from Liberty was the town of Beaumont, population 2,500. Largely unscathed thus far, except for a few occasional raids on the outskirts of town, the Beaumonters still tried to prepare for any possible scenario to the best of their ability. But they'd only mobilized on the 12th, after confirmation of the captures of Anahuac and Liberty had reached them. 10 days later, they'd managed to gather about 1,000 men, most of them volunteers and regular militiamen, with a few dozen Army veterans at their side. And they'd need all the forces they could muster. Because on the morning of the 24th, the Mexicans would make their move.

Bernardo Cavazos, formerly directly under the command of Santiago Zuhiga, had split off his own forces earlier in the month for some of the planned offensives in the far east of Texas, on orders of General Woll. He had about 1,200 men, including a half dozen cavalry, and a couple of cannons to go along with that.

At around 10 a.m. the Texian sentries just west of town were fired upon by some of the Mexicans. They immediately returned fire, and the Battle of Beaumont was begun.....

There we go. I really hope I can get a comment or two sometime soon. It'd probably give me some much needed extra motivation.....

Finally managed to catch up with all of this.

This is starting to go into a rather... interesting direction. Now tell me more.

This is an incredible military history thus far! Poor Texas, but I know you've hinted they will have their day. With the Mexican forces this deep into Texas the Comanche raids must be a real headache for Santa Anna. I would love to see an update about the internal political situation in Mexico given the army's success.

Also, I am no expert on mid-19th century Europe but anything about how wars and revolutions could influence Catholic immigration to Mexico would be very interesting. I guess that would be Poland, parts of Germany, and perhaps Austria?

Hey fellas.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I like this so far.

Thanks.

Good updates.

Waiting for more, of course...

Can't wait to see the butterflies hitting Europe.

It might take a little bit, but I'll try to get to that ASAP. I can say that the French anti-monarchist revolution is going to come just a little earlier than it did IOTL.

Finally managed to catch up with all of this.

This is starting to go into a rather... interesting direction. Now tell me more.

Well, okay. As you may have figured out already, The Beaumont Battle was essentially THE final major victory for Mexico in this war. It will be slowly going downhill from here on.

This is an incredible military history thus far! Poor Texas, but I know you've hinted they will have their day. With the Mexican forces this deep into Texas the Comanche raids must be a real headache for Santa Anna. I would love to see an update about the internal political situation in Mexico given the army's success.

Thanks. TBH, some of the Comanche have been causing Mexico some problems, but it's actually been the Lipan Apache who did more damage than anybody in terms of Native resistance. As for Mexico, I can say that the political situation is slowly deteriorating and as it does, there are going to be a few more revolts popping up quite soon in the country.....including in none other than Alta California(John C. Fremont, in particular, will have a significant role). And just what role will Alta Calif. play, exactly, in the years immediately to come? Stick around. Things will get interesting, indeed.

Also, I am no expert on mid-19th century Europe but anything about how wars and revolutions could influence Catholic immigration to Mexico would be very interesting. I guess that would be Poland, parts of Germany, and perhaps Austria?
TBH, I hadn't really thought much of early immigration to post-Santa Anna Mexico, but the 1860's might be a good time, as Mexico will have recovered by then, pretty much. Of course, the U.S. will still be the number one destination for immigrants in North America, but Mexico isn't liable to be their only competition in the long run.....

And here's how things went down in Beaumont.

Beaumont sat on the western edge of the Neches River, and had been growing rapidly. A couple of barracks had recently been constructed, in response to the outbreak of war, and over 150 of the Texians, though cramped, made use of as much space as they could. They also used a couple of local churches and several homes for shelter; the other 700 men were left out in the open.....

The Texians continued to use their tried-and-true strategy of using buildings and local flora and geological features for cover, and it had often worked fairly well. Unfortunately for this particular group, however, Cavazos' forces had a higher than usual porportion of veterans, and they had been able to work around some of the normal tricks. His cannoneers were also more skilled than average, allowing them to do more damage to the Texian forces, while also minimizing damage to other buildings that could be used by the occupiers later on. By the time the Mexicans retired for the night at 10 p.m., the Texians had sustained a total of 180 men either killed or wounded, and only 100 for the Mexicans.....

By morning, it was clear to the Texians that they were running low on ammo, and wouldn't be able to sustain the fighting much longer. It was eventually decided that they should split their forces in half. One Hoosier Texian had the idea of trying to sneak some men to the rear of the Mexican flank to maximize the potential for damage to Cavazos' men. This was a bit of a gamble, but most agreed to try it, and just before 8, it was put into motion, with 150 of the Texians sneaking out of town and around the Mexican camp.

The fighting started again at 11 a.m., and for the next several hours, the rest of the Texians used whatever munitions they could to hold off the Mexican attack. But by 4 p.m., their ammo had run out and were forced to either give in or leave town. Cavazos had assumed that there would be no resistance, but just as he entered the town limits, he heard a few gunshots from his rear; the Texians had caught them totally by surprise. Stunned, Cavazos scrambled to get his men to respond to the firing, but it didn't come before over a dozen of his men on the rear were cut down. They fought for just under an hour before the remaining Texians west of town scattered off into the wilderness. By nightfall, the Texians who'd stayed were secured.

Last edited:
New Map.

Figured I'd show you a little bit more text. And a new map. :)

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Cavazos would issue one last order in the aftermath of the battle. On the afternoon of the 26th, he ordered a small contingent of his surviving men to travel eastward along until they hit the border with the United States, though partly to block any potential escape routes that the Texians might have on that particular stretch of road. On the morning of the 27th, these men arrived at their destination, on the banks of the Sabine, and planted the Mexican flag on the west bank. This, however, would be the last real victory for Mexico; within the next few days they would experience their first substantial loss in many weeks.....
This was the situation as of November 27th:
ZktAaYi.jpg

Okay, then. Comments are welcome, and encouraged. :)

Last edited:
We are making progress.

Just as the Mexicans had been driving towards the east, the Texians had been making a few moves of their own. Patrick Mahan's contingent, now consisting of 250 men, was, with the help of some friendly Lipan Apache, able to hold off an attack by a Mexican force(and some unfriendly Comanche on top of that) several times their own on one of the old Spanish forts on the 20th thru 22nd of November; though Mahan lost 50 of his own men, the Mexicans suffered a couple hundred of their own, and were forced to abandon their offensive in that part of southern Texas.

On the other hand, Comanche was, sadly, lost to the Texians on this same day, and many of it's defenders had been rounded up and shipped to San Antonio, where the military government under General Woll would decide their fate. However, though, news of this latest fall(but also that of Patrick Mahan's valiant defense in the old Spanish fort) also gave rise to a new wave of recruitment, both within Texas and outside of it. The small ferry town of Belgrade, on the banks of the Sabine, raised as many as 200 men on the 25th; Princeton followed with about 150 men on the 26th, and as word spread across eastern Texas, people as far afield as Nacogdoches volunteered to drive the interlopers out of the Lone Star Nation.....

And there we are. Any comments?? :D:cool:

Last edited:
And here's where things go wrong for Santa Anna.

Well, alright, folks. I'm sure many readers have been eagerly awaiting this. So, here it is.

The Mexicans, by mid-November, had just come to realize that retaking the whole of Texas, as Santa Anna had originally hoped, was now virtually impossible. General Woll still believed, however, that by making a drive towards Austin, and successfully capturing the city, they could at least force the Texians to stop resisting, and that maybe they could negotiate giving away a small part of the Texas region back to Mexico. So, on the 27th of November, he ordered any available forces, which numbered as much as 4,000 at the moment, to press ahead for Austin. The first 2,000 men arrived just to the southeast of the city on the morning of the 29th, and were placed on standby, to wait for further orders....

Meanwhile, to the east, about 500 of the Texians who'd volunteered to liberate Washington arrived just outside of the former capital on the afternoon of the 27th. The Mexicans still holed up in the city were immediately notified by their scouts, and were ordered to fire by their commander.

The battle was surprisingly tame at first; very few shots were exchanged on the first couple of days, and the Texians actually didn't lose a single man on the 28th, while only a small handful of Mexican deaths were reported. It was on the 29th when the real combat would begin. The Texians fired first at 7:45, taking out a half dozen sentries and wounding several others, all without a single loss of their own. The Mexicans immediately responded with their own gunfire, but had to use it somewhat sparingly as ammunition was running low.....

Even early on, the Texians had a clear advantage. Some of them were veterans of several battles, and had been combat-hardened, whereas many of the Mexicans had been essentially plucked off the streets. The Mexicans had also suffered problems with their supply lines, whereas the Texians had been able to bring a few extra supplies with them.....All in all, the battle lasted only eight and a half hours in a single day; the Texians lost 42 men, but the Mexicans suffered 77 killed, and were forced to withdraw from the city altogether; the Texians now had their first real victory for quite a long time.

The same general scenario repeated in Montgomery as well; on the first of December, the militias from the Trinity River towns of Geneva, Swartwout, Cincinnati, and Carolina, numbering about 700 men total, arrived on the outskirts of the town at around 2 o'clock in the afternoon, after crossing Town[now Radley] Creek. And they, too, brought some extra supplies. The Mexicans had a spare cannon, and once their scouts had spotted the Texians, used it to fire a warning shot towards them. The Texians were unfazed, however, and immediately began to return the favor; the liberation of Montgomery had now begun.

The Mexicans of Montgomery were a little bit better stocked than their counterparts in Washington had been. Andres Videgaray had, however, ordered that his men conserve as much ammunition as possible. Which normally would have made sense, but proved to be a hindrance in the long run, as the Texians smashed their way southwards against the sentries. By 10 o'clock that night, the Texians were on the very outskirts of town, ready to make their final move.....

The Texians moved first; at around nine o'clock, a few of the rear-guard Texians managed to snipe a few of the Mexican guards, and an adjutant of Videgaray's. A few shots were exchanged for the next hour, but it was at 10 a.m. when the real fighting began, as the Texians began to charge directly towards town, in spite of Videgaray's increasingly desperate attempts to keep them away.....

As the sun set on Montgomery, the results were clear: Videgaray's forces had been decimated. 102 Mexicans died in the defense of the city, 75 on the 2nd alone, with 120 more injured. The Texians lost 40 men, and 92 were injured. But their mission had succeeded, and many of them spent the night celebrating a victory well earned, and long overdue....

There we are. :cool:

Hi folks.

Sorry it took me so long to post this update. It ain't much, but I hope you'll like it:

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } By December, 1843, the Mexicans had begun to largely abandon further expansion to concentrate on subduing the city of Austin, the capital of Texas, and also, the primary stronghold for the Texian forces...

At the start of the month, the Texians had about 2,500 people defending Austin, some Army, some from the militias, and some fresh-off-the-farm volunteers. They were a rather diverse bunch: some were Southron, some were Yankees(including about fifty from Liberty Creek), some were Tejanos, and quite a few were immigrants to North America, including many Germans, some Scots and Irish, and even a few Czechs, French, and several other assorted nationalities. There were even a few Lipan Apache and other Natives friendly to the Texians who had also volunteered to stay there. And, they hoped, there were be a couple thousand more coming their way, from further north in Texas, as well as from the United States, over the next few weeks; and given the latest intelligence reports, they came to realize that they'd need as much help as they could get.

The first 1,000 or so Mexican forces began to arrive just outside the city on the afternoon of December 4th. They were a bit of a ragtag force at this point, but some were quite experienced, having been survived the combat of as many as half a dozen or more battles, in some cases. The Texians decided not to directly engage the Mexicans, as they were waiting for more supplies to come into Austin. But it was a tense wait, as many Austinites began to fear the worst.

President Sam Houston, amongst others, urged people to remain as calm as possible during these tough times, realizing that panic would only make things worse. He also urged that people be as vigilant as possible and to report any suspicious activity to the nearest authorities.......

Another 2,000 Texians would begin make their way out of various towns towards Austin starting on the 6th, with the last leaving on the 9th, including some recent migrants from the U.S., and even a few additional European immigrants.....and this wasn't a moment too soon, either. The Mexicans would soon make their final move towards Austin.....

The first active Mexicans to arrive did so on the morning of the 7th and they had come from the west, riding along Spring Creek after some time on the Pedernales River. Some of them had participated in the attack on the old Spanish fort in which Patrick Mahan's company had taken refuge, and brought cannons with them, along with plenty of cavalry.....
So yeah, the ultimate test of Texian mettle is about to begin. Any thoughts on this are welcome, as always. :cool::)

Never count out those Texans. How is the war playing in the United States? Sorry, not sure if you spoke to this, it's been a good long while.

Never count out those Texans. How is the war playing in the United States? Sorry, not sure if you spoke to this, it's been a good long while.

Well, I can say one thing; there are definitely quite a few Americans sympathetic to the plight of the Texians, on either side of the Mason-Dixon line. But here's the thing.....more and more of the cries to kick Santa Anna's ass are actually coming from the North; and it's not just Texas in trouble, either, but there's also been harassment of Anglos in California, as well.....and you know what'll really make a difference? The majority of the Anglos coming to California are anti-slavery, by and large(well, this was actually true IOTL as well, but even more so here).....including a certain Franco-American adventurer, originally from the picturesque little seaside town of Savannah, Ga. ;)

Last edited:
While I try to finish up the Texas-Mexico conflict.....

Any suggestions and/or requests as to future subjects to cover? Or comments in general?

Just tying up some loose ends.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
The first active Mexicans to arrive did so on the morning of the 7th and they had come from the west, riding along Spring Creek after some time on the Pedernales River. Some of them had participated in the attack on the old Spanish fort in which Patrick Mahan's company had taken refuge, and brought cannons with them, along with plenty of cavalry. There were only about 1,500 of them, but the Texians knew, straight away, that this was only the beginning of the final preparations of what the Mexicans hoped would be a coup de grace, as it were. Any last-minute hopes of rescue, as had been spread by some more optimistic news outlets, now seemed to be unfounded; they would have to fight this alone, for now. And it would require every bit of effort to survive this intact.....

There we go. Sorry for the delay, as I've been having some more issues with writer's block, etc. Any comments are appreciated, as usual. :cool:

Well, I can say one thing; there are definitely quite a few Americans sympathetic to the plight of the Texians, on either side of the Mason-Dixon line. But here's the thing.....more and more of the cries to kick Santa Anna's ass are actually coming from the North; and it's not just Texas in trouble, either, but there's also been harassment of Anglos in California, as well.....and you know what'll really make a difference? The majority of the Anglos coming to California are anti-slavery, by and large(well, this was actually true IOTL as well, but even more so here).....including a certain Franco-American adventurer, originally from the picturesque little seaside town of Savannah, Ga. ;)

Nice, looking forward to that soon!

Nice, looking forward to that soon!

Thanks. In the meantime, perhaps it's time to finally get this Texas-Mexico thing over with. Here is the opening of the final stretch.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } The first active Mexicans to arrive did so on the morning of the 7th and they had come from the west, riding along Spring Creek after some time on the Pedernales River. Some of them had participated in the attack on the old Spanish fort in which Patrick Mahan's company had taken refuge, and brought cannons with them, along with plenty of cavalry. There were only about 1,500 of them, but the Texians knew, straight away, that this was only the beginning of the final preparations of what the Mexicans hoped would be a coup de grace, as it were. Any last-minute hopes of rescue, as had been spread by some more optimistic news outlets, now seemed to be unfounded; they would have to fight this alone, for now. And it would require every bit of effort to survive this intact.....

The first couple of days after the arrival of the first Mexican forces were marked by much in the way of tension, although there wasn't a lot of actual gunfire. Primarily, the fighting would be mostly limited to a few skirmishes just outside Austin, mainly started by Mexican cavalry riding by and firing indiscriminately at Texians, soldiers and militiamen alike; there were only a handful of casualties on either side. But they all knew it was just a matter of time before the dice were rolled.....

On the morning of the 9th, the first of the Texian reinforcements arrived just to the north of Austin; a good number of them were Anglos, but there were also some Germans and Czechs present, as well as a few Scotsmen and Irish, and even a few Tejanos. Some of the latter had come from some of the various small settlements in the Hill Country, but a good portion of the others were recent refugees from due south who'd had to flee their homesteads and villages to avoid Santa Anna's men; most of the Anglos were from further north in Texas, or recent arrivals from the United States(what may surprise you is that a many of the latter were actually from the West and North of the country). And not that many of the out-of-towners had that much in the way of combat experience, either; regardless, the defenders of Austin were grateful for any help they could get. And it couldn't have come at a better time; at 12:30 p.m., the Mexican contingent led by Mariano Zurita moved into their predesignated positions, about seven or eight miles due west of town; after seeing this, one Texian scout, a Lipan Apache who'd recently been attached to the Texian Army, immediately rode off back towards his camp to warn of the imminent attack. When they were informed of this, some of the Texians decided to form a welcoming committee of sorts; they accosted some of Zurita's frontline troops shortly after. It's said that the two sides briefly exchanged a few words.....though all of what was said isn't quite known for sure.....and then the gunfire started, just before 1 o'clock. By 3 p.m., the fighting was in full swing, and the Battle of Austin had begun....
So there we are. I'll probably just do a quick overview before moving on to the Mexican-American War.....any questions, suggestions, etc. appreciated. :D:cool:

Yes, an overview would be good. Also, great job in making a TL where Mexico doesn't end up as the US's bitch. Keep it up!

Well, although I had originally intended to just do an overview of the rest of the Texas-Mexican war, I can also briefly go over some of the most significant events when I get around to my "Year In Review" stuff that I've been planning to start for a while now. :cool:

Well, alright. I managed to make a little progress, but real life kinda got in the way again.....hopefully I can get the next little snippet in within a couple of days.....maybe even tomorrow.

Until then, Happy New Year, dear readers! (and don't forget to drop by as often as possible! Leaving a few comments here and there might actually help things go faster.) :D