Kingdom of the North - or how a clumsy maid and a thirsty dog created a mighty empire

Redbeard

Banned
Deer fellow "Alternates"
I've been working on a timeline for some time now, based on Canute the Great's son Hardeknud surviving the wedding party he died at in 1042. So far I have details until 1415 and the general outline until 1950, but I think this is the time to have some comments, critigue and ideas from you - I'm open. At least I hope you can have some of the fun I've had writing it :)

It is 8th of June 1042. The King of England and Denmark Hardeknud (Harthacanute), son of the great Canute of England, Denmark and Norway (dead 1035), attends a wedding in Lambeth, England. Present are also a large number of the greatest families of England, but it is difficult to see this is a wedding and a happy day – the atmosphere is indeed very tense. Hardeknud, 26 years old, has been King of Denmark since 1035 and King of England since 1040, when his father’s half-brother Harald Harefoot died as King of England.

But Hardeknud isn’t popular in England. His very brutal slaughter of Harald Harefoot’s supporters had killed many men of important families, and then they also had to pay taxes to pay for the army and navy Hardeknud gathered for the reconquest of Norway and who knew what. Hardeknud more and more often spoke about fulfilling his father’s ambitions about establishing a northern empire to balance and supplement the already well known southern descendant of the Roman Empire.

The climax of the celebration is when the King is to bring a toast to the bride. Everybody stares in silence at the King as he rises and lifts his cup – that is except the little maid bringing in food. Heavily loaded she can hardly see anything in front of her as she rushes into the great hall – and stumbles over a hound lying on the floor. Everybody watch, almost as in slow-motion (if they knew what that was) how a big chunk of roasted pork rotates through the air towards the King. Just as he is to put the cup to his lips the pork hits the cup – which again lands with a big splash on the floor while the pork settles on the King’s plate.

A big sigh goes through the hall as the King, red faced, turns towards the scared little maid. He has his father’s temper and everybody know what is to happen as he draws his sword and raises it over the kneeling and praying maid.

If somebody in that moment had dropped a needle everybody would have heard it land with a big crash, but nobody drops any needles, they don’t even breathe. That is except the hound the maid had stumbled over, he had happily started licking the dropped beer – and now start howling in the most obvious agony and cramps.

The men are pale and silent, women start crying – everybody know what is to be expected now, but then one of the present clergymen throws himself into the centre of the hall and start loudly proclaiming: “Oh Lord thank you – it is a miracle – it is a miracle! Our gracious King has been saved by a miracle!!!”

A slight smile can be seen on the King’s face as his eyes go from family to family among the wedding guests. “How many of you wanted to be a murderer – all of you perhaps!?”

The housecarls already has blocked the exits to the hall as the King goes on with a thunderous voice:

“So you thought you could kill me and act against the almighty God!? You did not dare meet me in open combat, and you thought you could get away with such a lousy treat only worthy of old women and witches – you pathetic scum!!! Did you really think you could avoid God’s will just because we are at a wedding and not on the battlefield? You could not - God sent this hound and this little maid as his instruments!”

The dog in the meantime had turned quite silent and very dead, and he addresses the maid:

“Maid, stand up. God has acted through you, and as your King it is my Holy duty to reward you, tell me your greatest wish!”

Hardeknud of course expect the maid to wish something like maids would usually wish, like a new dress or a night with the King, but here he made a mistake, for the maid had been in the house of the host since her birth and was best friend with the bride.

“My Lord - have mercy! This is a wedding; it is supposed to be a happy day. Like God gave his mercy to you show your mercy on this wedding!”.
The smile had vanished from Hardeknud’s face - this was difficult. If this most fortunate event should be utilized he could not ignore the maid’s wish, but this scum didn’t deserve any mercy – this wasn’t fair – the King moaned inside himself as women and even some of the men hysterically cried for mercy and the silly priest kept on shouting “Miracle!”.

The noisy deadlock was broken as one of the few Ladies not yet in hysterical outbursts stepped forward: “I’m guilty My Lord, I poisoned your cup. My son was at Harefoot’s court and was killed by your men at the massacre at Worchester. I admit that I since that day have only thought of revenge, but I now see that I have acted against God’s will and before God and my family I hereby put myself at your mercy, but spare all the good men and women present at this wedding!”

Most were silent, a few sobbed, as the Lady kneeled before Hardeknud, still sword in hand.

“I do not twice draw my sword against a women sent as God’s instrument, but let all people know that their King is merciful, but his will also is irresistible!”
He then took the cup of the Lady’s husband and raised it: “To the bride – let the party go on!”

So it happened that Hardeknud settled as King of England and Denmark. Some of the great families now and then grumbled, but the rumour of the miracle at the wedding hall soon spread all over the realm and gave the King a very strong popular legitimacy – and very much helped to spread Christianity to the most remote provinces.

Of course it was also arranged that selected sons and daughters of the greatest families were sent on permanent residence among trustworthy families of the King’s blood, but more importantly Hardeknud realised, that staying on the throne of England needed his full attention. Much inspired by his father Hardeknud took permanent residence in England, and in all matters tried to appear as English as possible. The "toxic" Lady from the wedding soon recieved an offer of permanent residense in a monastery - and that really was an offer she couldn't refuse.

Hardeknud’s halfbrother Edward (the Confessor) and ally vs. Harold Harefoot, was by many since suspected to be the real man behind the attempt on the King. He at least had the motive, as Hardeknud and Edward had agreed, that if Hardeknud died childless, Edward would become King of England. Things however had changed dramatically after the events at the wedding. Edward became a very pious man and the most zealous carrier of the message of the miracle at the wedding.

To be continued...

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Last edited:
I think I will be watching this. Off to a very good start - it's one of those things which happen in real life more often than in fiction, after all.

The noisy deadlock was broken as one of the few Ladies not yet in hysterical outbursts stepped forward: “I’m guilty My Lord, I poisoned your cup. My son was at Harefoot’s court and was killed by your men at the massacre at Worchester. I admit that I since that day have only thought of revenge, but I now see that I have acted against God’s will and before God and my family I hereby put myself at your mercy, but spare all the good men and women present at this wedding!”

Most were silent, a few sobbed, as the Lady kneeled before Hardeknud, still sword in hand.

“I do not twice draw my sword against a women sent as God’s instrument, but let all people know that their King is merciful, but his will also is irresistible!”
He then took the cup of the Lady’s husband and raised it: “To the bride – let the party go on!”
Course She is Exiled to a Nunnery, which is Mercy in those days.

Redbeard

Banned
Thanks for all comments :)

Have edited the original post to have the "toxic" Lady be sent to a monastery.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard

Banned
Summary:
By intervention of butterflies and/or God King Hardeknud avoids death at the wedding in 1042 and so live on as King of both England and Denmark, but with residence mainly in England (like his father Canute). He soon take up his father’s ambitions to create a northern empire.

The Scandinavian campaign 1043 - Part 1
Hardeknud’s father Canute had seized the throne of Norway in 1028 by simply arriving in Norway with a fleet of 50 ships and chasing away Olav Haraldsson, and proclaiming himself King. As Canute died in 1035 the locals felt they had a score to settle and chased away Canute’s Earl Svend and his (ruling) mother Alfiva and Maguns Olavsson now occupied the throne of Norway.
In Sweden Canute had at least formally ruled large areas around the great lakes, but King Anund Jakob had been a constant challenge also supporting the Norwegians who were against Canute.

With his power at least for the moment secured in England Hardeknud felt it was time to take back what belonged to him, but not without careful preparations. The “Miracle at the Wedding” was fully utilized to strengthen his image as the good Christian King, and that was very handy in combination with rumours about new Viking raids threatening from the areas of Scandinavia now not under rule of the good Christian King Hardeknud. There even were tales of the almost heathen Norwegians performing obscene rituals near the grave of the King Olav (Haraldsson from above). That Olav had fallen in battle in 1030 vs. Canutes Norwegian allies was conveniently omitted in the story, as was the fact that King Magnus was as Christian as any Christian – and son of Olav (OTL the Holy). But anyway there soon spread a feeling in England that the King ought to do something, not at least aided by the Church pointing to the duties of the Christian King and the Archbishop of Canterbury hoping to eventually gain Scandinavia from his colleague in Bremen.

In the summer of 1043 a fleet and army finally gathered for the invasion of Norway. A very large part of the men were from England’s best families. With the consent of the Church Hardeknud had issued extra taxes, but offered all free men tax exemptions for each provided armed man. Thus Hardeknud not only had an army of thousands of trained men at his disposal, but could also underline his role as the King of England with fellow Englishmen bringing law and order to unruly barbarians in the east. Besides having as many battlehardened Englishmen as possible occupied outside England was a very handy extra gain not often mentioned, but very much in the mind of Hardeknud.

The campaign itself started much like the one in 1028 – the ships arrived, landed the army, drove away King Magnus and put Hardeknud on the throne. “Job well done – now we just want to deal with that sneaky Anund Jakob up in Sweden!” Hardeknud said to himself as an exhausted messenger arrived from the Earl Svend of Jutland (son of his father’s sister Estrid) and told of a large Wendish army moving from the south and the leading elements already having crossed into southern Jutland. Svend Estridsson was gathering forces, but the strength of the Wendish army was constantly growing and couldn’t be forced out of Jutland without reinforcements.

This was most inconvenient, but on the other hand Hardeknud was old enough to know that plans rarely survived their first encounter with reality, and swift action anyway was an indispensable supplement to meticulous planning. A lot of the Norwegian Earls and free men already had gathered to salute the new King – now was the time to move on!

“Proud and free Norwegian men! I have come here, not as a Dane or as an Englishman, but as a fellow Christian with a holy quest to gather all peoples of the north in a Christian empire. Over are the times when free men of the north should fight each other or accept threats from heathens and barbarians. Instead we all, and under my leadership, must take responsibility for providing fertile soil for the word of Christ. As a token of my good will I have brought this chest of gold – to reward all those loyal to our holy cause!”
At a sign from the King four big Hoursecarls entered the hall carrying a finely crafted but strongly built chest. As the chest was opened a huge treasure of the finest shiny gold coins revealed itself - more than anybody could remember ever having seen in Norway.

The assembled Norwegians looked at each other, this clearly was a King with great wealth and power. Some recalled how they, or their fathers, for a much smaller amount in 1030 had supported Hardeknud’s father against Olav, Magnus’ father. It clearly was a hasty conclusion that Canute’s blood had finished ruling, and settled on the throne of both England and Denmark, Hardeknud obviously had almost unlimited resources available - the times of easy prey across the North Sea appeared to be over. “If you can’t beat them – join ‘em!” was the common thought among most of the present Norwegians, not unfamiliar with the basics of powerpolitics from the usual feuds with neighbouring clans.

“The almighty Lord and your King will know how to reward the faithful and loyal, but like the good Munk Poppo, the first Christian at my Great Grandfather’s court, had to carry iron to convince my Great Grandfather, you will have to prove your worth too. As I speak now, a heathen army have crossed the border to Jutland, and is raping and pillaging in Christian land. As your Christian King I command you to at once gather your ships and men and follow me to Jutland, where we will join a Danish army gathering and drive out the heathens – to the joy of the Good Lord and to the benefit of your wealth!”

“What about your Englishmen?” one of the Earls asked.

“They have already passed the test, they will stay here and look after things while we area away. Now it is your turn and chance!” the King answered with his soon famous and feared cool smile.

Some of the earls clearly were uncomfortable about being press ganged into this empirestuff – “better be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a great pond!” – but it was also clear that the Norwegians were split enough to remove all hope of defeating Hardeknud’s English army. And what the heck – a good fight was not to be turned down, and if it couldn’t be against Hardeknud and his men, the heathens were better than nothing.

To be continued...

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard

Banned
He, he!

Really like your style of writing. ;)

When is Hardaknud going to change name to Christian? :D

Not quite yet, and the OTL Duke Christian of Oldenburg introducing the name in Danish royal history in 1448 is pretty much PoDed out. But who knows, perhaps some other bloke with a royal claim might introduce it. After all not a bad name if you want to be a great Christian ruler.

Anyway this is not intended as a Danish wank, but of course you will see some “recycled” parts of Danish history – as well as ditto British, Swedish, Norwegian etc. The difficult part is keeping the PoDs and variables to a level where the world is still recognizable but different enough to be interesting alternate history.

I have a fairly detailed ATL until 1415, a rogh sketch from 1415 to 1900, and then extreme details for 1st half 20th century. But more of that later.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Anyway this is not intended as a Danish wank, but of course you will see some “recycled” parts of Danish history – as well as ditto British, Swedish, Norwegian etc. The difficult part is keeping the PoDs and variables to a level where the world is still recognizable but different enough to be interesting alternate history.

I didn't expect it to be not with the King residing in England. But then it is going to be a Danish ROYAL wank if you excuse me. (at least the title imply it)

I remember you referring to this on and off and do look forward to its continuation. (and I really like your weaving into the story elements I recognize from "home" ;) - its difficult not to!)

Redbeard

Banned
Summary: Hardeknud, son of Canute, survived an attempt on his life and is now settled on the Throne of England and Denmark. His first venture is to reclaim the Throne of Norway, and does so in a swift campaign much resembling his fathers in 1028.

His plans for a Swedish campaign are disturbed by the Wends invading Jutland, but with a combination of gold, flatter and threats he convince the Norwegians to join him in throwing out the heathen Wends

The Scandinavian campaign 1043 – part 2
So messengers were sent out, bonfires lit and within hours the first ships arrived. On the second day 50 ships and more than 2000 men were gathered and the King utilised the good wind to order sails set for the trip southwards.

A ship had been sent ahead to alert the Danish army/fleet gathering in the Limfiord under Svend (Estridson). The two forces together had 200 ships and about 5000 men, not a huge force, but very manoeuvrable and deadly in the right place and time. After a rendezvous at the eastern mouth of the Limfiord the combined fleet through the night went on down the Jutland eastcoast arriving at Hedeby the next morning of the 28th of September 1043. Hedeby was the most important town in Hardeknud’s eastern realm, it could almost be called a city. The Wends had bypassed the fortified town five days ago and reports said they had reached and sacked Ripe, the second most important town, and now were returning south with their loot – about 15.000 strong in all.

Hardeknud knew, that such a large and heavily loaded force had to follow the only north-south major road in Jutland – the “hærvej” (literally “army road”) and at Lyrskov Heath, close to Hedeby, the fiord Slien and the swampy terrain to the west made it possible to block the road with a relatively small force. So the Danish troops, incl. a few thousand from Hedeby, were deployed across the road in hog’s back formations with shields overlapping and spears, axes and swords bristling and with bowmen placed behind. The Norwegian force, u. Command of Svend Estridsson, was placed hidden in the wooded terrain NE of Hedeby.

“The Lord demands glowing iron to prove our faith – but now let the Wendish heathens be the glowing iron while the Danes are the anvil and the Norwegians the hammer!” the King spoke in a short address to the troops before deploying.

The Wends, heavily loaded with loot, were spread out for many miles along the road, and as the advanceguard was stopped at Hedeby it instantly caused congestion backwards. This, on top of many of the Wendish chieftans not wanting to leave their loot loaded wagons unguarded, very much hindered the organisation of an effective attackforce, and for many hours the uncoordinated Wendish attacks resulted in nothing but piling of dead Wendish warriors in front of the Danish shield wall. In the afternoon the Wends showed signs of exhaustion and the King sent a messenger to let the Norwegians commence the attack in the Wendish flank and rear. Until now the King had not revealed his presence or position to the enemy, but when the battlecries of the attacking Norwegians could be heard from the Danish position he and his housecarls, with banners flying and singing battlehymns marched into the battleline ordering the Danish line to follow.

The Wends, realising that they not only were attacked in the rear and flank, but the mighty King of England and Denmark was not far away in England, he was right here, instantly panicked. Panicking of course was the last thing to do in such a situation, but that was easier said than done. The dreadful noise of men crying and swords and axes “swish-thuhg” as they cut into bones and flesh could be heard closing from both the north and the south. Like two meatgrinders Hardeknud’s armies ate the Wendish column in not much more than an hour. Some tried to flee into the Slien but drowned, some escaped into the swamps, but most were caught and killed in the most brutal ways by the locals in the following weeks.

Almost 15.000 Wends lay slain on the battlefield, Hardeknud’s men took the metals - the dogs, ravens and crows got the rest. The poor Ribe burghers never got much back of what the Wends had taken, but at least they got revenge, and Hardeknud’s men anyway did not appear like ones to ask to give anything away.

With this great victory the rumour of Hardeknud’s greatness rapidly spread. In Norway not at least by a couple of thousand satisfied warriors arriving home with bragging tales of their service under the great King – and quite an amount of nice loot.

To be continued...

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard

Banned
Summary:
Settled on the Thrones of England, Denmark and Norway, Hardeknud defeats a Wendish invasion of Jutland at Lyrskov, adding to his fame as a powerful Christian King. Now it is time to focus on taking home the last of his fathers claims: Sweden!

The Scandinavian campaign 1043 – part 3
While in Denmark Hardeknud arranged with Svend Estridson to expand the system of Royal fortified military camps. A number of these circular forts already existed at places with access to the sea, and was used to gather and train fleets/armies when the King ordered Ledding (campaign). An expansion would not only make it possible to raise forces in very short time against attackers like the Wends, but also made a much larger Ledding force available to the King. So far the main obstacle had been money – the free and taxpaying men of Denmark would only accept a certain level of taxes – just like free and taxpaying men elsewhere. But now the much better source of gold from England could easily pay for the expansion in Denmark. Besides his next primary ambitions – the inclusion of Sweden and perhaps also the Wendish areas would make an option for recruiting large forces in Denmark quite handy.

Hardeknud’s first thought had been to await the raising of a new army/navy in Denmark next year for an invasion of Sweden (for next year’s tax income from England), but he was worried that Magnus and Anund Jakob and perhaps others would cause too much trouble in the meantime, and anyway there appeared to be a great opportunity to utilise the present situation with all the recent favourable events in fresh popular memory. So a few days into October 1043 Hardeknud, his halfbrother Edward (the Confessor) and a few thousand chosen men left for Viken in Norway (Oslo Fiord). Here he was greeted like no one could remember a King of Norway ever had been. The tales of the Battle of Lyrskov already had preceded him and everywhere he went people massed around him hoping to just touch him and get a small share of his magic and holy power.

Even as he marched into the Swedish areas around the great lakes once ruled by his father he was welcomed as a saviour – both by commoners and Lords welcoming back the blood of the Great Canute and his even greater son. Some joined the column but it was still an army of limited size when a person in a hooded cloak entered Hardeknud’s and Edward’s tent one late evening in western Sweden and left again a few hours afterwards.

A few days later a party of high ranking Swedes approached Hardeknud’s column, asking to talk to the King. One of them stepped forward and addressed Hardeknud: “Great Christian King, Anund Jakob is dead! After drinking to the death of Your Majesty, he suddenly dropped dead, as if hit by God’s own arm!”

The very observant could see Hardeknud and Edward exchanging a slight smile as the Swede went on:

“I, on behalf of the great and free Swedish men therefore ask you Hardeknud to accept the Throne of Sweden – guaranteeing the rights of free Swedish men!” Head upright he handed over a scroll to Hardeknud, who asked:

“And Magnus, I understand he was with Anund Jakob?”

“He is dead too, killed in combat with all the men he insulted after Anund Jakob’s death!” the stonefaced Swede replied.

“Well that is what happens to hotheads” Hardeknud smilingly said as he arranged for the scroll to be signed and sealed.

“Are you sure this was wise?” Hardeknud asked Edward a few hours later when they had a moment alone.

“You are King of Sweden now brother, but if – God – hadn’t intervened here, and you hadn’t guaranteed the rights and privileges of the Swedes – you would now have been in the middle of a costly campaign – and far away from the areas already recognising you as King. I think we should return as soon as possible to England. England is and will remain the jewel in your crown – better guard it carefully.”

To be continued tomorrow, when motherly concerns about offspring and empire as well as several from OTL well known persons are introduced.

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

With this great victory the rumour of Hardeknud’s greatness rapidly spread. In Norway not at least by a couple of thousand satisfied warriors arriving home with bragging tales of their service under the great King – and quite an amount of nice loot.
Always a Helpful Afterthought.