Isaac's Empire 2.0

Chapter Eighteen: The Search for Stability

Rightey-ho.

After a long time away, the Dux rides Romeward once more.

This is a nice update, as have been the recent chapters, covering the complex dynastic politics, the various ins and outs, as well as ever. So just a few short remarks at this stage:

Basileus Giorgios said:
Šurhaci Khan
Wúqǐmǎi

The first name. Obviously they are real Jurchen names from OTL history. But I recall that the main guy himself was not a Muslim, a confirmed believer in the nomadic sky-goddess no less, but the element -haci may come from the Turkish word for "hajji" - an epithet attached to a Muslim who has returned from a Hajj to Mecca and is held in high esteem by his fellows - so that would be quite an unusual name for a nomadic conqueror from the east who is clearly not a Muslim. Just a minor nitpick. Haci may mean something else in Jurchen, Turkish or Iranian, if anyone can enlighten us...

Basileus Giorgios said:
The Empire’s fabulously wealthy Syrian provinces remained under tight Jušen control, with the Eastern frontier effectively reduced to the point it had been at the height of Arab expansion half a millennium previously.

So the Peace Without End formally concedes all Roman territory beyond the Taurus to the Jurchen Empire, or is this merely a (very) long term ceasefire?

And, inevitably, maybe even a bit boringly, my next question is: what is the status of Cyprus in the East, 30-40 years down the line, in the post-Evagoras era, and how does it fit into this new Peace Treaty (since it is, in a sense, right on the "front line" now)?

I just found this TL, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. In fact I dare say it's one of the definitive "surviving Byzantine" timelines out there, with all the detail shown in the stuff I've read thus far :). I hope another update is not too far off, but then again (as I've said elsewhere) rapid updates are no substitute for detailed updates.

As an aside, I'm curious as to who's who in Britain. I gather the south is an Anglo-Norman kingdom, and I remember a reference to Northumbria, but is that the "big" northern kingdom or the little light blue one on the map? I'm trying to work my way through the updates but, like Male Rising, it's a lot of stuff to chew through.

Very slow replies!

The first name. Obviously they are real Jurchen names from OTL history. But I recall that the main guy himself was not a Muslim, a confirmed believer in the nomadic sky-goddess no less, but the element -haci may come from the Turkish word for "hajji" - an epithet attached to a Muslim who has returned from a Hajj to Mecca and is held in high esteem by his fellows - so that would be quite an unusual name for a nomadic conqueror from the east who is clearly not a Muslim. Just a minor nitpick. Haci may mean something else in Jurchen, Turkish or Iranian, if anyone can enlighten us...

An oversight on my part, I fear: I'm very much at sea when it comes to names from non-European cultures, so I felt it best to play safe and go for names of obscure characters from OTL history. I'm going to go with the lame excuse that a century and a half of butterflies impacting upon the Jurchen and Turkish languages have meant "Haci" does indeed mean something else ITTL.

So the Peace Without End formally concedes all Roman territory beyond the Taurus to the Jurchen Empire, or is this merely a (very) long term ceasefire?

The Jurchens are led to believe its a formal concession, although of course such a thing is impossible under Roman imperial ideology. Its spun in Constantinople as "we're letting our new friends look after this territory on our behalf, look, they're Christian now and everything!"

And, inevitably, maybe even a bit boringly, my next question is: what is the status of Cyprus in the East, 30-40 years down the line, in the post-Evagoras era, and how does it fit into this new Peace Treaty (since it is, in a sense, right on the "front line" now)?

:D

Well, as you know from the text, Theodore Evagoras, one of John II's main generals, fled to Cyprus back in 1198 following a series of defeats at the hands of the Salghurid Sultan Kürboğa. In the civil war of 1211-12 Evagoras did not actively support the rebels but declined to aid Eirene either, and he was rewarded for this inaction with the hand of George's sister Matilda, a woman thirty years his junior, as well as the title of Grand Duke of Cyprus. Luckily for Matilda, Theodore expires quite soon into their marriage, allowing her to rule on behalf of their only child George, who is named for his uncle the Emperor.

George Evagoras is now in his mid thirties, and is responsible for the defence of Cyprus, as well as the coasts of southern Anatolia. In 1243 he won a spot of military glory looting Cilicia in response to Jurchen attacks on Anatolia, but blotted his copybook by participating in the failed revolt against the Regent Demetrios in 1246: he may well have considered himself a natural replacement as Regent as the closest male relative of the young Emperor Constantine. He's now keeping his head very much down.

I just found this TL, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. In fact I dare say it's one of the definitive "surviving Byzantine" timelines out there, with all the detail shown in the stuff I've read thus far :). I hope another update is not too far off, but then again (as I've said elsewhere) rapid updates are no substitute for detailed updates.

As an aside, I'm curious as to who's who in Britain. I gather the south is an Anglo-Norman kingdom, and I remember a reference to Northumbria, but is that the "big" northern kingdom or the little light blue one on the map? I'm trying to work my way through the updates but, like Male Rising, it's a lot of stuff to chew through.

Thanks!

Northumbria is a kingdom ruled by a rebellious branch of the Anglo-Norman royal family. It's the small, pale blue kingdom, reflecting its initial status as a vassal state of the King of Scots. In 1157, Duke William II of Northumbria gained a crown from the Papacy in exchange for accepting the doctrinal decisions of the Third Council of Nicaea that was discussed in Chapter Eight of the main TL. Due to increasing Norman involvement on the Continent, Northumbria has been able to hold on to independence.

Okay!

Firstly, here's the "compressed" history of the Empire from 1057-1246 that I put together as I went along.

1057: Isaac Komnenos takes the throne.
1058: Disputes break out between the Emperor and Patriarch Michael Keroularios, who is put on trial, but dies before a verdict can be reached.
1059: The imperial army is defeated by the Petcheneks at the Battle of Preslav.
1060: Rōmanos Diogenēs defeats the Petcheneks at the Battle of Diampolis, and storms Preslav, with the survivors resettled in Anatolia. Turks raid Cappadocia, and Rhegion falls to the Normans. Greek harvests fail.
1061: Riots in Constantinople. Tarantas is recaptured by the Empire.
1062: Emperor Isaac leaves Constantinople for Iconium.
1063: Revolt of the Anatolian magnates ends in defeat at the Battle of Claudiopolis. Isaac returns to Constantinople in triumph, with the support of Michael Psellos. Tirenon in Apulia is captured from the Normans.
1064: The Saljūq Sultan Alb Arslān captures Edessa, and the Normans seize a series of Sicilian cities from the local Arab rulers.
1065: Imperial armies in Italy under Isaac Komnenos the Younger defeat the Normans at Hyria, but suffer a defeat at Rhegion. The indecisive Battle of Manzikert is fought. Damascus falls to the Saljūq Turks.
1066: Palestine is captured by the Saljūq Turks, but Alb Arslān is killed at Jerusalem.
1067: Church wealth is confiscated by Emperor Isaac to revalue the coinage.
1075: Death of Isaac I Komnenos. He is succeeded by his nephew Alexios Komnenos, and Alexios’ new father-in-law Michael VII Psellos.
1076: The court reforms of Michael VII stir up unrest amongst the nobles of Constantinople.
1077: Much of Apulia is seized by the Normans, who cross to Epirus and begin attacks in Greece.
1078: Michael VII forced to enter monastic life. Alexios defeats the Normans at the Battle of Pelagonia and crosses to Italy. Ravenna is ceded to Constantinople by the German Emperor Henry in exchange for an anti-Papal alliance.
1079: Much of Apulia is burned by the Normans. Revolt breaks out in Croatia.
1081: The Croatian Revolt is defeated after a long and costly campaign.
1082: An alliance is signed with the Papacy. Isaac Komnenos the Younger expels the Normans from Apulia.
1083: The Battle of Kaulōnia smashes the Norman nobility of Italy, and imperial armies cross to Sicily to pursue their foes.
1084: German Emperor Henry takes Rome, forcing Pope Gregory to flee to Apulia and beg Constantinople’s aid. Alexios marches on Rome and enters the city after the Germans retreat. As a reward, Gregory names Alexios notional overlord of Sardinia. Alexios’ mother Anna Dalassēnē clashes with Patriarch John IX Italos in Constantinople.
1085: Alexios’ return calms the court tensions in the capital. War breaks out in Germany.
1087: Ekbert of Meissen named Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope after defeating Henry.
1088: An anti-taxation revolt in Germany sees Henry restored to power.
1089: Empress Euphemia, wife of Alexios and son of Michael VII, dies in childbirth. Anna Dalassēnē names Basil Palaiologos, Alexios’ son-in-law, Caesar and heir presumptive.
1090: The Diet of Hamburg begins the first steps of German centralisation.
1091: Robert Guiscard, the last great Norman lord, is defeated in Sicily by Isaac the Younger.
1092: Isaac launches a coup, deposing his mother Anna and her allies.
1093: Henry again marches on Rome, this time killing Pope Victor and occupying the city.
1094: The Italians of the Po Valley begin a revolt against Henry’s autocracy.
1095: Imperial troops briefly seize Damascus under Alexios’ command, as well as retaking and fortifying Edessa.
1096: Cilicia is looted by the AhmadilidTurks.
1097: The Po revolt largely ends with the capture and storming of Ravenna, leaving only Genoa standing against Emperor Henry.
1099: Alexios arrives at Genoa, after a Sicilian sojourn, driving away the German army.
1100: The Germans are crushingly defeated at the Battle of Savona, and driven out of Italy, leaving Alexios as sole Roman Emperor. However, his son and heir Michael dies in the battle. Upon the return to Constantinople, the Parakoimomenos Basilios takes over Government from the depressed Emperor.
1101: Basil Palaiologos is recalled to Constantinople, and Isaac’s son Manuel is married to Alexios’ daughter Styliane.
1102: Alexios returns to active governance.
1103: A near-civil war breaks out between the Monophysite and Chalcedonian elements of the armies of the East.
1104: The Ahmadilids capture Aleppo, the stronghold of the Empire’s Arab clients.
1107: Edessa is betrayed to the Ahmadilids by disaffected Armenians of the Eastern army.
1108: Cyprus is badly raided by the Ildenizid and Salghurid Turks.
1109: Joint Roman/Fatimid operations against the three Turkish ātābegs of Greater Syria end in complete victory at the Battle of Emesa. The Ildenizids are half-destroyed, with the Ahmadilids forced to pay tribute.
1114: Peasant-led revolt of Theodosios Melissenos is defeated by Manuel Komnenos.
1115: Despite Melissenos’ defeat, violent unrest breaks out in Thrace and Greece.
1117: Isaac Komnenos and Basil Palaiologos struggle for power as Alexios ails. Upon the Emperor’s death, Isaac seizes the throne with the aid of the Parakoimomenos Basilios. Palaiologos flees to Syria, and raises up the armies of the East in revolt.
1118: Basil defeats Isaac II at the Battle of Amorion. At the same time, Isaac’s younger son Stephen launches an obscure revolt of his own in Italy. Late in the year Jordan of Aversa defeats Basil Palaiologos’ army.
1119: Basil Palaiologos and Stephen Komnenos are seized and blinded, ending the revolt.
1120: The fiscal reform programme of Basilios begins.
1122: Isaac II is succeeded peacefully by his son Manuel.
1124: Named Duke of Antioch, Jordan of Aversa fights off an Ildenizid resurgence.
1125: Cumans attack the Chersonese colonies. Constantine Reljić named Duke of Serbia.
1126: The half-German Solomon II takes the Hungarian throne.
1128: Serbian revolt breaks out, and an imperial army is defeated at the Battle of Ulpiana.
1129: Sardica falls to the Serbo-Hungarian armies, and much of Bulgaria is occupied.
1130: Emperor Manuel defeats the Serbs at Haram, following the retreat of the Hungarian army from the battlefield. Reljić and the Serbian leadership are taken to Constantinople and blinded. Cilicia attacked by the Turcomans.
1131: Further attacks on Cilicia by the Turks, led by the resurgent Ildenizids.
1134: Roupen I of Syunik is summoned to Antioch by Manuel Komnenos, and once there is tried and thrown into prison. His infant son Smbat becomes Prince of Syunik.
1135: Anti-Chalcedonian uprisings cause disturbances in the East.
1137: Jordan of Aversa defeats the Turks in an attempted invasion of Syria.
1141: Persecution of Constantinopolitan Jews by Emperor Manuel’s son John.
1143: Constantine Nafpliotis becomes Katepánō of Italy.
1144: John Komnenos visits Syria, and debates anti-Chalcedonian church leaders.
1147: Pope Anacletus II is deposed by an anti-imperial mob, replaced by Gregory VIII.
1148: Pope Gregory attempts to enlist German support against Constantinople, but troubles are quelled by Emperor Manuel in person, who deposes Gregory and restores Anacletus.
1150: The Eighth Ecumenical Council takes place at Nicaea (the third such council to take place here), and formally restores Union between Constantinople and Rome.
1151: Patriarch Luke of Constantinople is blinded for preaching against Third Nicaea.
1152: Manuel dies in January, to be succeeded peacefully by his son John II. He is followed in November by the ancient Parakoimomenos Basilios, who retreats to a monastery before his death.
1153: Prince Smbat of Syunik smashes an invasion force of the Saljūq SultanMaḥmūd.
1154: Conspiracy theories circulate in Constantinople, concerning alleged plots to topple John II Komnenos from Jordan of Aversa and John’s obscure half brother Theodosios. Melitene is sacked by Smbat’s Armenians.
1155: An army under the control of the Eastern general Andreas Skleros is badly defeated at the Battle of Chozanon, providing a pretext to exile Jordan of Aversa to Sicily in disgrace.
1157: A small Serbian revolt defeats John’s son George, but burns itself out quickly.
1158: The Council of Singidunum takes place, between John II and his brother-in-law Andrew II of Hungary. Michael Komnenos is born.
1159: Andrew II dies unexpectedly to be succeeded by his son Solomon III, who also dies quickly. The throne is seized by Sophia, the younger of Andrew’s two daughters. The Salghurids of Jerusalem also experience succession problems between the legitimate claimant Zülkarneyn and a distant cousin, Kürboğa, who ultimately seizes power.
1160: The Empress Theodora unexpectedly delivers a son, Alexander. Kürboğa is deposed by a Fatimid Egyptian army, and retreats to Ahmadilid territory.
1161: Imperial troops overrun Hungary in a quick war. The infant Alexander is named King of Hungary, with his cousin Piroska, Sophia’s elder sister, serving as Regent.
1165: John’s heir George is killed in a botched invasion of Syunik. Kürboğa returns to power in Palestine, deposing Zülkarneyn for a second time.
1166: Pursuing his rival, Kürboğa thoroughly defeats a Fatimid army at Bilbeis, and almost accidentally takes power in Egypt, naming himself Sulṭān. An army sent by Maḥmūd of Baghdad is defeated by Kürboğa’s Ahmadilid allies.
1167: Kürboğa defeats a Christian revolt and then marches on Ildenizid Damascus.
1168: John II intervenes in Syria, and lifts the Salghurid siege of Damascus.
1169: The Roman army defeats the Salghurids near Emesa. In response, Kürboğa calls in his ally Smbat of Syunik, who raids Cappadocia and sponsors revolt amongst local Armenians.
1170: With the Romans distracted, the Salghurids finally conquer the Ildenizids.
1171: Kürboğa besieges Antioch, but becomes bogged down. Taking advantage of this, the Roman general David Bringas first captures Damascus, before lifting the siege of Antioch.
1172: John II systematically captures and fortifies the remaining cities of Turkish Syria.
1173: Bethlehem falls to the Romans, but John II is forced to retreat due to a Bulgar revolt.
1174: The Bulgarian uprising is put down. Kürboğa forces the Romans out of Palestine.
1176: Emperor John returns to Palestine, and captures Jerusalem.
1177: The Roman army is badly defeated at the Battle of Gaza, and is forced to retreat to Jerusalem. Kürboğa strips Palestine of moveable wealth and returns to Egypt triumphant.
1178: After ten years of war, a peace treaty is patched up with Kürboğa.
1180: John II dies, to be succeeded by his grandson Michael VIII. Alexander Komnenos retreats to Esztergom to be crowned King of Hungary.
1181: John’s widow Theodora leads a coup against Michael VIII. Michael is not deposed, but is forced to serve as junior Emperor to his uncle, Theodora’s son Alexander III.
1182: Theodora attempts to prevent her son marrying Eirene Nafpliotissa, Jordan’s granddaughter, leading to Eirene’s father Constantine Nafpliotis marching on Constantinople.
1183: Theodora’s anti-Eastern army falls apart, sparking revolt in Bulgaria and Hungary. Eirene Nafpliotissa is crowned Empress.
1184: Imperial garrisons are expelled from Bulgaria. Kürboğa conquers the Hejaz.
1185: Kürboğa defeats David Bringas, and the general is imprisoned by Constantine Nafpliotis. In the confusion, Jerusalem surrenders peacefully to the Salghurid Turks, prompting serious anti-Nafpliotid rioting in Constantinople.
1186: A large portion of the Eastern army, now led by Theodore Evagoras, defects to Kürboğa. Syria falls quickly. The Counts of Toulouse abandon their Norman overlords.
1187: Theodora of Hungary is murdered on Eirene’s orders, prompting the Great Bloodletting of Constantinople. Both Michael VIII and his sister Theodora the Younger are murdered, along with Michael’s wife and children and several distant family members. In the East, Theodore Evagoras defeats Smbat of Syunik.
1190: Constantine Nafpliotis is killed in Bulgaria.
1191: David Bringas is allowed to retreat to Italy.
1193: A peace treaty is signed with the Bulgarian Tsar Ivan of Priene, recognising his independence.
1194: Another peace treaty is signed, this time with Kürboğa, which regains Syria.
1196: Smbat of Syunik takes Ani, and names himself Armenian King of Kings.
1197: Nikēphoros Nafpliotis, Eirene’s cousin, is killed at Manzikert and the Roman armies are expelled from all Armenia. Meanwhile, Kürboğa ends the peace and captures Syria again. The Parisian Patriarchate is created under Pope Michael I.
1198: Theodore Evagoras flees to Cyprus.
1199: Constantinople besieged by a Bulgarian army in the name of Parisian Orthodoxy.
1201: Kürboğa is defeated and killed by the Saljūq Sultan Kayqubād at the Battle of Sinjar, and his head is sent to Constantinople. The Bulgarians lift their siege after a plague outbreak.
1203: Italy revolts against Eirene, forcing the loyalist Pope Anacletus IV to flee.
1204: Venice sacked by an imperial army as the Italian revolt is brutally suppressed.
1206: The Arab Christian Strategos ibn-Yusuf revolts with the support of Smbat of Syunik, but dies at Ikonion.
1207: Death of Smbat of Syunik, succeeded by his son Roupen II.
1208: Kürboğa’s youngest son Tuğtekin takes power in the Salghurid Sultanate.
1211: David Bringas leads a second Italian revolt, with the support of the Bulgars.
1212: Bringas’ armies capture Constantinople. Eirene is executed, and power is seized by Bringas’ young lieutenant George of Genoa, who marries one of her daughters.
1213: A brief Nafpliotid revolt is suppressed. George defeated in battle in Syria by Tuğtekin. The Jurchens capture Chachqand in Sogdiana from the Saljūq Turks.
1214: The eunuch commander Rōmanos defeats Tuğtekin at the Battle of Apameia. A formal peace treaty is signed between Emperor George and Roupen II of Syunik.
1215: Rōmanos “the bastard” besieges Damascus. Kayqubād defeats the Jurchens.
1217: Damascus, along with much of Syria, falls to Rōmanos. Death of Kayqubād.
1218: A comprehensive peace treaty is agreed between the Romans and the Salghurids.
1219: Kayqubād’s middle son Mehmed wins sole control over the Saljūq Sultanate at the Battle ofArraĵān.
1221: George’s great work of legal codification, the so-called “Italian Basilika” is completed.
1222: Sultan Mehmed’s brother Baqtash leads a Jurchen army into Iran, sacking cities.
1223: Baqtash deposes Mehmed, but his Jurchen backers, led by Šurhaci Khan, turn on him and murder him.
1224: Roupen II of Armenia dies. His son Ashot takes power, but this is contested.
1227: The Jurchens invade Armenia to place Ashot’s sister Alinakh and her children upon the throne.
1228: Ashot is killed at the Battle of Nakhichevan, and Armenia becomes a Jurchen vassal under Alinakh. His daughter and son flee to Roman territory.
1229: Much of Roman Syria falls to the Jurchens after several disastrous defeats.
1230: Anatolia is burned by the Jurchens.
1232: The new built Jurchen fleet is destroyed in the naval battle of Abydos, saving Constantinople from the fate of Syria and Anatolia.
1233: Emperor George descends into madness. Patriarch Theodotos II takes command.
1234: Theodotos offers the crown to the nobleman Leo Zaoutzes upon George’s death, who takes the throne as Leo VII. He dies quickly though, and is succeeded by George’s daughter Theodora and her husband Isaac III Palaiologos.
1235: A five year peace treaty is arranged between Romans and Jurchens.
1238: Theodora and Isaac’s two year old son Constantine is crowned co-Emperor.
1239: Isaac’s sister Zoe is named Augusta.
1241: Death of Theodora in childbirth.
1243: Jurchen raids begin again in Anatolia.
1245: Death of Isaac III, to be succeeded by the nine year old Constantine X. The lowborn Demetrios Simeopoulos, husband of the Augusta Zoe seizes the young Emperor and names himself Regent. The Anatolian magnates launch a revolt.
1246: Demetrios defeats the rebels with the aid of the Jurchen warlord Wúqǐmǎi, who is baptised. A permanent peace treaty is signed between Romans and Jurchens.

Last edited:
Emperors and Pretenders 1057-1245
Now for the Emperors and pretenders...

House of Komnenos
Isaac I: 1057-1075
(Rōmanos Skleros): 1063
Michael VII Psellos: 1075-1078
Alexios: 1075-1117
Isaac II: 1117-1122
(Basil Palaiologos): 1117-1119
Manuel I: 1122-1152
John II: 1152-1180
Michael VIII: 1180-1181 as sole Emperor, 1181-1187 as a junior monarch.
Alexander III: 1181-1206
(Theodora Komnena): 1187
Eirene Nafpliotissa: 1187-1212. Technically an Empress-consort until 1206, but in supreme power from 1187.

Non Dynastic Interlude
George I: 1212-1234
(George Nafpliotis): 1213
Leo VII Zaoutzes: 1234

House of Palaiologos
Isaac III: 1234-1245
Constantine X: 1245-

Patriarchs and Barbarian Monarchs 1057-1245
Patriarchs, and some foreign monarchs...

Patriarchs of Constantinople
Michael I: 1043-1058
Constantine III: 1058-1070
John VIII: 1070-1076
John IX: 1076-1120
Antigonos I: 1120-1133
John X: 1133-1135
Andronikos I: 1135-1139
Sergius III: 1139-1148
Luke: 1148-1151
Nicholas III: 1151-1154
Antony IV: 1154-1157
Stephen III: 1157-1162
Alexios II: 1162-1178
Andronikos II: 1178-1187
Nicholas V: 1209-1229
Theodotos II: 1231-1242

Nicholas VI: 1242-

Rulers of Hungary
Andrew I: 1046-1060
Solomon I: 1060-1126
Solomon II: 1126-1136
Andrew II: 1136-1159
Solomon III: 1159-1160
Sophia I and Géza I
: 1160-1161
Piroska (as Regent for Alexander Komnenos): 1161-1180
Alexander I Komnenos: 1180-1183
Piroska (as Queen): 1183-1186
Ladislaus I: 1186-1216
Andrew III: 1216-1243
Stephen II: 1243-

Rulers of Germany
Henry IV: 1056-1106
Conrad II: 1106-1145
Frederick I: 1145-1161
Henry V: 1161-1179
Frederick II: 1179-1224
Frederick III: 1224-1232
Otto IV: 1232-1239
Charles IV: 1239-1242

Otto V: 1242-

More to be added!

Last edited:
Thanks for making this, will be a big help for consolidating everything I've read and recapping in between updates.

Great reference lists- always useful for a quick recap in between/ just before reading an update.

Glad you both enjoyed!

There's more to come: I'm doing reference lists for the leaders of the main noble families, as I need to work out who's going to be important going forward into the thirteenth century. I'll post those tomorrow or something!

The offer of short bios for figures on the lists remains open.

Thanks for the these, I would love one for Manuel I, have to remember why he is the Megas Basileus.

I second this, despite being the pinnacle of the Komnenos Dynasty his reign was covered in only 1 update, more details would be appreciated.

I third this and perhaps one of Frederick II of Germany as well.

They'll be done.

For now, have this.

Heads of the Noble Families

DOUKAS
The “Great Doukai”
Andronikos Doukas: 970-1030
Constantine Doukas, Andronikos’ elder son: 1030-1079. B. 1006
Michael Doukas, Constantine’s elder son: 1079-1124. B. 1050
Constantine Doukas, Michael’s elder son: 1124-1130. B. 1079
Bardas Doukas, Michael’s second son: 1130-1157. B. 1084
Michael Doukas, Bardas’ elder son: 1157-1165. B. 1109
Theodosios Doukas, Michael’s son: 1165-1185. B. 1135
Theodosios Doukas, Michael’s son: 1165-1185. B. 1135
Bardas Doukas, Theodosios’ son: 1185-1229. B. 1156
John Doukas, Bardas’ elder son: 1229-1234. B. 1180
Andronikos Doukas, John’s younger son: 1234-. B. 1213

The “Small Doukai”: later KOMNENODOUKAS
Alexios Doukas the Old, Michael’s third son: 1124-1177. B. 1091
Alexios Doukas the Young, his grandson: 1177-1211. B. 1142
Constantine Doukas, Alexios’ son: 1211-1230. B. 1178
Alexios Komnenodoukas, Constantine’s son by Eirene Komnena: 1230-1246. B. 1213
Alexander Komnenodoukas, Alexios’ son: 1246-. B. 1232

The “Cretan Doukai”
Romanos Doukas, Bardas’ younger son: 1157-1200. B. 1113
John Doukas, Romanos’ younger son: 1200-1201. B. 1158
Romanos Doukas, John’s son: 1201-1236. B. 1185
Stephen Doukas, Romanos’ third son: 1236-. B. 1225

MALEINOS
Niketas Maleinos: 1091-1172
Eusthatios Maleinos, Niketas’ son: 1172-1177. B. 1136
Stephen Maleinos, Eusthatios’ son: 1177-1225. B. 1161
Eusthatios Maleinos, Stephen’s son: 1225-. B. 1200

MELISSENOS
Theodosios Melissenos: 1067-1114
Constantine Melissenos, Theodosios’ son: 1114-1156. B. 1100
Isaac Melissenos, Constantine’s second son: 1156-1180. B. 1121
Theophilos Melissenos, Isaac’s son: 1180-1218. B. 1157
Michael Melissenos, Theophilos’ uncle, Constantine’s fourth son: 1218-1220. B. 1134
Petronas Melissenos, Michael’s elder son: 1220-1223. B. 1156
Michael Melissenos, Petronas’ elder son: 1223-1235. B. 1177
Alexander Melissenos, Michael’s second son: 1235-1246. B. 1206
George Melissenos, Michael’s third son: 1246-. B. 1212

ANGELOS
Leo Angelos: 1062-1116
Romanos Angelos, Leo’s elder son: 1116-1162. B. 1100
Leo Angelos, Romanos’ son: 1162-1187: B. 1127
Leo Angelos, his grandson: 1187-1212. B. 1173
George Angelos, the younger Leo’s uncle, the elder Leo’s second son: 1148-1218, B. 1148
Basil Angelos, George’s elder son: 1218-, B. 1179

KANTAKOUZENOS
Michael Kantakouzenos: 1038-1096
George Kantakouzenos, Michael’s son: 1096-1148. B. 1088
Theodosios Kantakouzenos, George’s son: 1148-1168. B. 1121
George Kantakouzenos, Theodosios’ elder son: 1168-1206. B. 1145
Theodosios Kantakouzenos, George’s elder son: 1206-1238. B. 1164
Eusthatios Kantakouzenos, Theodosios’ second son: 1238-, B. 1188

NAFPLIOTIS
Nikēphoros Nafpliotis: 1086-1141
Constantine Nafpliotis, Nikēphoros’ elder son: 1141-1190
Nikēphoros Nafpliotis, Constantine’s eldest nephew: 1190-1198