How Far the U.S. Would Have Annexed Mexico

As far as I can tell Mexico was willing to sell Baja California and the Yucatan were asking to be annexed, so those two aren't that implausible. The rest I'm not too sure about.

A delegation was sent, but the only reason the U.S denied the offer was because they don't know if the rest of the Yucatense people could agree with the decision.

Can the Orange be a little more aligned to the bottom of Baja?

Why, is your OCD acting up? :p

The line is the Tropic of Cancer. Baja sticks down below it and that wouldn’t really matter to the US. Unless the treaty accidentally explicitly stipulated “no lower than the Tropic of Cancer”, the US would have no trouble or complaint taking that last little bit.

Mexico wasn’t in any position to create a Point Roberts analogue, anyway.

Is there a possible way for the USa to peacefully annex Mexico?
See
Pro-U.S. Mexicans
RandomWriterGuy

United States Peacfully Annexes Mexico (
multipage.gif
1 2)
RandomWriterGuy

Hmmm... you started both of those. You keep trying to get different answers do you? You don't like the ones you're getting?

If America was formed out of the 13 Colonies (from Day One) as OTL: Up to the Tropic of Cancer (and maybe a little bit further south), which would have happened had the person in question who negotiated the treaty did a better job.

If America included Canada and Nova Scotia from Day One: All of Mexico (when the free states have such a advantage over the slaveholding states, you cannot afford to get picky over how much of Mexico you want, well if you want to keep slavery that is).

Stonewall

Banned
Why do we never get threads asking how far Mexico could have annexed the U.S? Oh right, yeah, even in AH land we need to remember Americans are the best!! :rolleyes:

Why do we never get threads asking how far Mexico could have annexed the U.S? Oh right, yeah, even in AH land we need to remember Americans are the best!! :rolleyes:

There have been some "Sucessful Mexico" thread on this forum, I think the main reason is that partly because there are many Americans and partly because it is not exactly ASB to wank the United States.

From what I read they could have butterfiled the Lousiana Purchase and maybe gain Oregon County.

There have been some "Successful Mexico" threads on this forum

From what I read they could have butterfiled the Louisiana Purchase and maybe gained Oregon County.

Louisiana I can see, but Mexico obtaining Oregon? That's a little farfetched without a further back POD.

Probably not too much farther- Baja, Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Durango, Coahuila, Sonora, Nuevo Leon Tamaulipas are about as far as I see the US going at best. Certainly not all the way into the Valley proper. Nowhere south of Durango is really feasible due to population density and logistical issues.

Sinaloa and Durango are probably maximal- most likely "larger" expansion is controlling both sides of the Rio Grande meaning: Baja, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Sonora, Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas.

Yucatan would be a 19th century Vietnam, but even fucking worse.

Last edited:

Because Mexico tended to get beat up by the United States during the 19th century, and not the other way around? Also, the American Revolutionary War showed just how tricky conquering the United States would be, and most people on the board are more familiar with it than with the Mexican War of Independence or the Franco-Mexican War, which had the same effect vis-a-vis Mexico.

Also because Mexico's internal squabbles, societal contradictions and governmental weakness made the antebellum US look like a united front?

If Mexico was way more devastated (and even a reduced population) that's OTL to the point they asked USA to annex them for financial aid and the USA does this, is this the most feasible scenario?

If Mexico was way more devastated (and even a reduced population) that's OTL to the point they asked USA to annex them for financial aid and the USA does this, is this the most feasible scenario?

No. Mexico is far too different culturally for people to contemplate requesting annexation just because it needs financial aid.

Why do we never get threads asking how far Mexico could have annexed the U.S? Oh right, yeah, even in AH land we need to remember Americans are the best!! :roll eyes:

Number 1: we are. Number 2: Without big changes to Mexico, any time after 1830 that we come to blows, Mexico isn’t going to come out on top, and that’s pretty early in the US’ history.

Thing about Americans is that we’re more stubborn than most.

Or under threat from colonial powers? Dominican Republic wanted annexation for this reason.

Monroe Doctrine applies here, but I’m not sure how dire a situation you’d need for the US to up and just annex, even with the support of Mexicans. Pretty dire. Makes for an interesting idea, though. I vaguely remember writing something like this in a ‘Germany wins WWII’ scenario of mine.

“In a what?!”

Yes, this would have back in the days just before I found dedicated discussions on alternate history. Buds got nipped, I’ll tell you. :p

Number 1: we are. Number 2: Without big changes to Mexico, any time after 1830 that we come to blows, Mexico isn’t going to come out on top, and that’s pretty early in the US’ history.

Thing about Americans is that we’re more stubborn than most.

Monroe Doctrine applies here, but I’m not sure how dire a situation you’d need for the US to up and just annex, even with the support of Mexicans. Pretty dire. Makes for an interesting idea, though. I vaguely remember writing something like this in a ‘Germany wins WWII’ scenario of mine.

“In a what?!”

Yes, this would have back in the days just before I found dedicated discussions on alternate history. Buds got nipped, I’ll tell you. :p

Do the Mexico annexed one, let's say USA annexes way more of Mexico, like half of it. Then, Mexico would be most likely under more threat from foreign powers to the point Mexico ends up like the Dominican Republic scenario. How does that go?