How Far the U.S. Would Have Annexed Mexico

The only way we can make a productive discussion out of this thread is by first acknowledging that the whole thing will inevitably fall apart and then go from there. Without all the masturbatory Ameriwankism, its in fact a pretty interesting question with strong untapped potential.

TFSmith121

Banned
When did the US annex Greenland or Okinawa?

Contrary to popular belief*, the US didn't enact its own version of Generalplan Ost on the Native Americans. The Native American population was so low to begin with that doing things like "poison the water or starve them out" never had to be used. Trying to deal with an insurgency in a densely populated jungle environment only accessible by sea would be a nightmare for the US Army, which had trouble suppressing a far smaller insurgency on much more favorable terrain in the Southwest and the Great Plains in OTL.

*Not on this site, but in America in general.

Okinawa and Greenland?

Denmark's sovereignty over Greenland was always recognized as de jure, even during WW II; Okinawa was (essentially) a trusteeship agreement between Japan and the US as an element of the Japanese surrender to (nominally) the United Nations (as in the WW II allies).

As far as the larger question, again 7 million Spanish-speaking Catholics would not go gently into that good night (metaphorically speaking) and there was no appetite in the US for trying to force them to...

Again, about the closest anything might have come is the Winfield Scott "receivership" concept, and even that was still-born.

Just sort of surprised this one keep ticking over, but oh well. The current ZEELOWE one on post-1900 is up past a dozen pages or more.

Best,

The only way we can make a productive discussion out of this thread is by first acknowledging that the whole thing will inevitably fall apart and then go from there. Without all the masturbatory Ameriwankism, its in fact a pretty interesting question with strong untapped potential.

Not necessarily. If the United States limits itself to only taking territory sparsely populated desert regions of northern Mexico*, which is basically what it did in OTL, then it's very likely that the country will remain stable.

But we all more or less agree that massive expansion (taking the Yucatan or, god forbid, the whole country) would be a disaster.

*Baja, Sonora, Chihuaha, Coahuila

The U.S. would be able to gain the way to the pink states shown in my previous map without any major issues.

No. Too many Mexicans for the US to handle.

cbYYL0n.png

Blue=OTL
Green=Can be annexed with only minor problems
Orange=Can be annexed with a major problem or two, but far from impossible
Red=NOPE NOPE NOPE

Last edited:
But the Maya aren't white, ergo, they'd be slaughtered by the superior U.S. forces. Even though by that logic the Mexicans would have been far successful against them. :rolleyes:

I have to admit that I find the idea of a failed US attempt to annex the Yucatan to be intriguing. A salutary lesson in failed imperialism during the mid-nineteenth century would be interesting to explore. It would require a rather different political culture in the USA for them to be interested in sticking a finger in that meat grinder, though.

I have to admit that I find the idea of a failed US attempt to annex the Yucatan to be intriguing. A salutary lesson in failed imperialism during the mid-nineteenth century would be interesting to explore. It would require a rather different political culture in the USA for them to be interested in sticking a finger in that meat grinder, though.

>Be Federalist USA
>Go to war with Napoleonic France in 1798 and ally with Britain
>Take the Louisiana Territory
>Keep it after the war
>Go to war with Mexico 20-30 years later
>Win
>Manifest Destiny, baby
>Decide to annex the Yucatan
>Colonial quagmire begins
>mfw

Do you think it'd change the attitudes of some American politicians about intervening in Latin America?

Waited 'till we got to page 3 to post this.

I don't think you comprehend just how much Maya there were, and how good they were at fighting.

This isn't the US army is sent out to the Midwest to wipe out isolated units of 500 or so people, including women and children. This is the US army being sent out to a very far place, very distant from reinforcements (with no trains and roads to get the new contingents there quickly) to take down a very densely populated population that numbers in the hundreds of thousands. A population that is both organized, numerous, determined, well trained, and lives in a very rugged, very tropical and very disease ridden terrain that they know like the back of their hands.

And one that was, above all that, very well armed, being eager buyers of the British, who most certainly will be even more terrified of the American behemoth and have an interested in lowering the balance of power, so they'll sell their guns and artillery at discount prices.

Please tell me how the US will just waltz in there and deal with that with no problems whatsoever.

This of course ignores that the press, who will just see the Yucatan campaigns as a quagmire in some God Forsaken hellhole where America's boys are getting slaughtered day and night.

Contrary to popular belief*, the US didn't enact its own version of Generalplan Ost on the Native Americans. The Native American population was so low to begin with that doing things like "poison the water or starve them out" never had to be used. Trying to deal with an insurgency in a densely populated jungle environment only accessible by sea would be a nightmare for the US Army, which had trouble suppressing a far smaller insurgency on much more favorable terrain in the Southwest and the Great Plains in OTL.

Both of these, pretty much. It honestly doesn't really matter all that much how determined the Americans might be; even the Yucatan by itself would be a pain in the ass, and that's if some sympathetic foreign power didn't decide to start some at least covert intercession on their behalf(depending on the situation). To be fair, it could be theoretically possible under the right conditions, but even then, the Yucatan alone could take something on the order of 20-30 years to just sufficiently subdue, and that's assuming a rather modest insurgency of maybe 50,000 persons or so.

Even if we had a TL where the American Army is occupying larger swathes of Mexico OTL, which is unlikely, I'd like to bring up a point not yet mentioned here:

Comanche, and Apache

With an over-stretched American military, it's going to be all the more beneficial to the plains tribes, particularly those in the Southwest who, though they won't have a border to hide behind any more, will find they don't need one, because the American military is tied up trying to suppress the inevitable Mexican rebellion against them. This could push American projections of power even further back that they were when the Mexican-American War even started. Sure, on the map the USA might look more impressive, but it would be a house of cards waiting to topple over.

At the time off the Mexican-American War, there were around 6-7 million people. Could anyone tell me how distributed the population was so I can have a clue? Or at least show me to a picture or graph?

At the time off the Mexican-American War, there were around 6-7 million people. Could anyone tell me how distributed the population was so I can have a clue? Or at least show me to a picture or graph?

Similar to OTL, only with far fewer people in the north, percentage wise.

TFSmith121

Banned
Well, couple of things:

Even if we had a TL where the American Army is occupying larger swathes of Mexico OTL, which is unlikely, I'd like to bring up a point not yet mentioned here:

Comanche, and Apache

With an over-stretched American military, it's going to be all the more beneficial to the plains tribes, particularly those in the Southwest who, though they won't have a border to hide behind any more, will find they don't need one, because the American military is tied up trying to suppress the inevitable Mexican rebellion against them. This could push American projections of power even further back that they were when the Mexican-American War even started. Sure, on the map the USA might look more impressive, but it would be a house of cards waiting to topple over.

There is certainly a possible parallel in terms of the resurgence of the Comanche in the 1860s, which was due largely to the general weakness of the CSA in West Texas; but in the 1840s and 1850s, the Comanche were largely dealt with, after Buffalo Hump's big raid - Hays and the Rangers managed it, after all, and Buffalo Hump himself and the Penateka signed for peace at Council Springs in 1846. So, not impossible for them to be (largely) dealt with in the 1840s or 1850s.

The Apache - the issues are the numbers are pretty small, and New Mexico is not exactly filled with people anyway in the 1840s; if anything, I could see a somewhat less confrontational policy from the US forces in the event of a (for example) protracted war in Mexico, for whatever reason.

I think the overall concept (a larger Cession, basically) is very unlikely, but there are far more significant reasons why then the possibility of border wars in New Mexico, Arizona, or West Texas.

Best,

Last edited:
Not necessarily. If the United States limits itself to only taking territory sparsely populated desert regions of northern Mexico*, which is basically what it did in OTL, then it's very likely that the country will remain stable.

But we all more or less agree that massive expansion (taking the Yucatan or, god forbid, the whole country) would be a disaster.

*Baja, Sonora, Chihuaha, Coahuila

No. Too many Mexicans for the US to handle.

cbYYL0n.png

Blue=OTL
Green=Can be annexed with only minor problems
Orange=Can be annexed with a major problem or two, but far from impossible
Red=NOPE NOPE NOPE

Can the Orange be a little more aligned to the bottom of Baja?

Oh, and assuming this is how the Mexican-American War, what are the odds of other wars like that in which the Mexican territory is gained little by little?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell Mexico was willing to sell Baja California and the Yucatan were asking to be annexed, so those two aren't that implausible. The rest I'm not too sure about.

Deleted member 67076

Would a greater Mexican-American war weaken the Mexican military?
No. In fact this will make the Mexicans even more willing to reform, as the war will come as such a shock to how weak they are. And due to their increased fear of their northern neighbor, they will fund the military more than OTL.

No. In fact this will make the Mexicans even more willing to reform, as the war will come as such a shock to how weak they are. And due to their increased fear of their northern neighbor, they will fund the military more than OTL.

I'm not sure if that argument holds up. Wasn't the OTL Mexican-American War pretty shocking already?