Historia Mundi

Alrighty, here's a second draft of the map.

The new states are:
Mauretania
numidia
meroe
axum
nabataea
ma'in
saba
himyar
qataban
hadramaut
minyue
and minor korean confederations doomed to be conquered cuz they're a pain in the ass to locate. seriously, wikipedia the early history of korea. ugh.

anyway, thoughts of this map?

world 675AUC.png

Alright, this is the same map as before, just with a (latin) map key. I wanted to have it up here with the key.

Thanks for the comment, Hendryk. :)

As for the timeline, I've got the Roman parts pretty much down. The next segment, goes up to 700 AUC, or, for you barbarians, 54 BC. As a teaser, I'm going to tell you what the triumvirs of OTL do.:

- Caesar is in command of Thracia, which is incorporated as a province much earlier in TTL. Of course, he's got to conquer something, he's Julius Fricking(us) Caesar. I wonder if there's a barbarian kingdom nearby that he could go conquer? ;)
- Crassus gets sent to Gallia Narbonensis, to deal with the Helvetii encroaching on Roman territory.
- Pompey commands the Romans everytime they fight Mithridates pretty much.

world 675AUC.png

DominusNovus said:
- Caesar is in command of Thracia, which is incorporated as a province much earlier in TTL. Of course, he's got to conquer something, he's Julius Fricking(us) Caesar. I wonder if there's a barbarian kingdom nearby that he could go conquer? ;)

How about the inland Illyrians, Pannonians, and Dacians? Or the Bosphorans?

carlton_bach said:
How about the inland Illyrians, Pannonians, and Dacians? Or the Bosphorans?
The winky face was a sign that, yes, he does go conquer a barbarian kingdom nearby. I was just making you guys think, is all. :p

its that time again...

676 AUC
- The Romans are defeated by Mithridates at Tyana.
- A reinforcement army, under the command of Gnaeus Pompeius, crushes the Pontic army under Mithridates, at Antioch.
- Tigranes II negotiates peace with Rome, who recognize his conquest of Osroene and enter into an alliance with him.
- Gallia Cisalpina is incorporated as a Roman province.
- Menander II succeeds Philoxenus as the Indo-Greek King.

677 AUC
- The Romans, under Pompeius, defeat Mithridates again at Tyana, and Mithridates sues for peace.
- Tigranes II builds his new capital of Tigranacerta.

678 AUC
- The Romans and Armenians invade Parthia to assist Orodes I in gaining the Parthian throne.

679 AUC
- The Sunga Empire collapses.
- Alexander Jannaeus of Judea dies and is succeeded by his wife, Salome Alexandra.

680 AUC (74 BC)
- Phraates III is defeated outside of Ctesiphon by the Romans.
- Orodes I becomes king of Parthia and has Phraates III killed.

681 AUC
- Salome Alexandra re-establishes the Sanhedrin.

682 AUC
- The Helvetii invade Gallia, including Gallia Narbonensis, the Roman province in the area. [12]
- Ptolemy XI succeeds Berenice III as Pharaoh of Aegyptus.

683 AUC
- Quintus Servilius Bibulus invents the first printing press in Rome. [13]
- Zhao Di reforms the tax system of Seres. The new taxation system combines an income tax and a low property tax. [14]

684 AUC
- Roman forces, under Lucius Sergius Catilina, invade Thracia.
- Malichus II succeeds Rabbel I as King of Nabatea.
- Zhao Di resumes sending envoys to distant countries, specifically including the Roman Republic. [15]

685 AUC
- Creta is incorporated as a Roman province.
- Orodes I invades the Indo-Scythian tribes to the east of Parthia. [16]
- A military expedition from Seres is sent to subdue the southern Korean peninsula.

686 AUC
- Marcus Licinius Crassus is dispatched to negotiate with the Helvetii.
- Zhao Di orders the construction of a canal between Beijing and Hangzhou.

687 AUC
- The Roman Republic declares war on Pontus.
- The Helvetii are allowed to settle in Gallia, in exchange for military service.
- Ptolemy XII succeeds Ptolemy XI as Pharaoh of Aegyptus.
- Upset with Zhao Di's reforms against the nobility, many rise up against him.

688 AUC
- Thracia is incorporated as a Roman province.
- Zhao Di signs an alliance with the Yuezhi confederation, affirming them as tributaries of Seres. [17]

689 AUC
- The Romans, under Crassus, are defeated by a Suebi-Marcomanni army.
- Orodes signs an alliance with Menander II against the Indo-Scythians, and affirms a common border between their two empires.

690 AUC (64 BC)
- At the battle of Amisus, Mithridates VI is defeated and captured by the Romans, under the command of Pompeius.
- Mithridates is forced to sign over his kingdom to the Roman Republic, and is brought to Rome for Pompeius' triumph.
- Hyrcanus II succeeds Salome Alexandra as ruler of Judea.

691 AUC
- Cilicia is incorporated as a Roman province.
- Aristobulus rebels against his brother, Hyrcanus II.

692 AUC
- Roman forces, under Caesar's command, invade the Dacian kingdom of King Burebista.
- The Indo-Scythians are defeated near Alexandria [18] by the Indo-Greeks and Parthians.
- The first envoys from Seres reach Rome.
- The Kingdom of the Bosporus becomes a Roman client state.
- Zhao Di defeats a major noble army outside of Louyang, ending the uprising. [19]

693 AUC
- The Romans and Helvetii, under Crassus' command, defeat the Suebi and Marcomanni army and annihilate it.
- The southern Korean peninsula is united under a tributary state of Seres, known as Silla.

694 AUC
- Mauretania becomes a Roman client state.
- The Roman forces, under Caesar, defeat Burebista at Sagadava. [20]
- Roman envoys reach Chang'an.

695 AUC
- Antipater I assumes the throne of Judea, with the support of Rome and the Nabateans. [21]
- Mithridates III succeeds Orodes I as King of Parthia.
- The printing press reaches Seres.

696 AUC
- The Roman forces under Crassus' command conquer Aquitania.
- Menander II expands his territory into the lands of the former Sunga empire.

697 AUC
- Rabbel II succeeds Malichus II as king of Nabatea.

698 AUC
- Artavasdes II succeeds Tigranes II as King of Armenia.

699 AUC
- Cotesti, the capital and last major fortress of the Dacians, is taken by the Romans and Dacia is annexed to the Roman Republic.
- The knowledge of paper making reaches the Roman Republic. [22]
- The Grand Canal of Seres is completed.

700 AUC (54 BC)
- The Lex Licinia is passed, limiting the power of provincial governors. [23]

[12] This invasion is more of an armed migration. Various Germanic tribes, such as the Suebi and Marcomanni were pushing into their lands and the Helvetii could not withstand them.
[13] This printing press, inspired by a wine press, proves only mildly popular, due to the lack of a cheap and plentiful medium on which to print. It does attain popularity, however, with libraries and the government of the Roman Republic.
[14] The property tax is set exceptionally low, to protect the peasantry in times of poor harvests. Meanwhile, the income tax ensures that much of the wealth tied up in the nobility becomes taxed. Zhao Di also enforces these taxes on the nobility who are notorious for avoiding taxes whenever possible.
[15] In the time of Wu Di, envoys were sent to some countries, such as Parthia, on an annual basis. Zhao Di wishes to extend these annual envoys as far as Rome.
[16] The Indo-Scythians were nomads that effectively ruled much of the Indo-Greek Kingdom. Orodes invades them to gain both valuable territory and to improve relations with his eastern neighbor.
[17] The Yuezhi confederation was made of the Xiumi, Kushan, Shunmi, Xiduni, and Dumi tribes (my own latin transliterations, I took liberties).
[18] The Alexandria in Afganistan, Alexandria in the Caucasus.
[19] After this, Zhao Di is able to implement his reforms much more effectively.
[20] From this point on in the Dacian War, the Dacians fight on the defensive, as Caesar methodically besieges their major fortifications. The Dacians are noted for their impressive fortified cities. constructed in the Murus Dacicus style.
[21] Antipater had been a general of Hyrcanus and had ambitions to become King of Judea. His ascension to the throne marks the beginning of the Herodian dynasty.
[22] It is interesting to note that paper appears in Rome before any of the countries between Rome and Seres. This development is due, most likely, to the appreciation of Zhao Di for the Roman printing press.
[23] This law was passed in responce to Caesar's conquest of Dacia. It increase the restrictions on the governors' military options. While this hinders the ability of the Republic to fight their enemies, Rome was used to such restrictions. Whenever the armies of both Consuls were required to fight an enemy, the Consuls would alternate the command on a daily basis, which often weakened the Roman force. Though this law was prompted by the actions of Caesar in Dacia, Caesar himself supported the law, nominally out of his love for the Republic, but likely to make it more difficult for anyone to surpass his glory.

Last edited:
And, for your viewing pleasure, I give you a map. I edited the first one a bit more, but nothing major.

That state I couldn't figure out the name of in India, I gave up and deleted it. Just so you know, grey doesn't mean that there's no people there, just that there's no major unified state there.

Also, I put the Bosporan kingdom in, forgot about it the first time 'round.

world 700AUC.png

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
DominusNovus said:
- The printing press reaches Seres.

That was fast.

[13] This printing press, inspired by a wine press, proves only mildly popular, due to the lack of a cheap and plentiful medium on which to print. It does attain popularity, however, with libraries and the government of the Roman Republic.[/quote]

I do like the idea, however, of Carlton, that they would use cloth, and develop paper from there.

Meanwhile, the income tax ensures that much of the wealth tied up in the nobility becomes taxed. Zhao Di also enforces these taxes on the nobility who are notorious for avoiding taxes whenever possible.

Ah, but the wealth of the nobility is tied up in property, at this point.

[15] In the time of Wu Di, envoys were sent to some countries, such as Parthia, on an annual basis. Zhao Di wishes to extend these annual envoys as far as Rome.

Would the Parthians allow it?

Faeelin said:
That was fast.
Well, I figure some envoy from the Republic brought it over, as a gift. "See what we can do!"

Faeelin said:
Would the Parthians allow it?
Well, first of all, the Parthians are on relatively good terms with the Romans at this point. There haven't been any wars between them, and the current dynasty was actually put into power with Roman assistance.

Second, Zhao Di will probaby just keep trying till he succeeds. Note that there is a bit of a lag between when he starts sending expeditions and when they actually get to Rome.

Keenir

Banned
Cappadocia?

DominusNovus said:
And, for your viewing pleasure, I give you a map. I edited the first one a bit more, but nothing major.

That state I couldn't figure out the name of in India, I gave up and deleted it. Just so you know, grey doesn't mean that there's no people there, just that there's no major unified there.

Also, I put the Bosporan kingdom in, forgot about it the first time 'round.

tiny question -- while it seems to have lost its coastline, Cappadocia doesn't seem to have been integrated into either Empire.

just an observation.

great work!

Keenir said:
tiny question -- while it seems to have lost its coastline, Cappadocia doesn't seem to have been integrated into either Empire.

just an observation.

great work!
Thank ya. Notice that Cappadocia's borders have a red outline, like Numidia, Mauretania, and the Crimean Bosporus. Its a Roman client state and, as such, not actually part of the empire. In OTL, it wasn't officially annexed till Claudius.

China has its own tributaries, Nanyue, Silla, and the Yuezhi.

Parthia's trickier, because they're a feudal empire anyway, so techinically, almost the entire empire is composed of vassal kingdoms. But that'd be a pain in the ass to map, so it stays homogenous on the map. They'll probably have some vassals eventually.

Then again, the actually parthian empire never lasts long in my timelines anyway, so we'll have to see what happens. :cool:

Also, I'd like to note that I stop recording the kings of countries after they becomes tributary states. I figure it doesn't matter at all anymore, rather than just not mattering much. States that don't have reliable lists in OTL don't get listed (or whos lists start later than they were founded, like Axum).

This is a very enjoyable timeline.

And with a viable expansionist republic surviving long term...

Wouldn't it be cool if, just one, somebody completed a full world empire TL?

mikegold said:
This is a very enjoyable timeline.

And with a viable expansionist republic surviving long term...

Wouldn't it be cool if, just one, somebody completed a full world empire TL?
Thank you.

I do hope to have the republic last as long as possible, but I imagine that it'll have a hard time both expanding and maintaining its form of government. My only solution right now is the creation of client states in conquered territories.

Any suggestions for the timeline from anyone, btw?

Ooh, I'm having fun with this. I've finished up what happens in Rome during this period. Fun times. Caesar seems destined to die on the ides of March, 44 BC, no matter what. Crazy guy.

Something occured to me. With the Chinese having major contacts with the Roman Republic, what might they think of that form of government?

Expect to see the next 25 years relatively soon. Not sure what I'm doing with China, Persia, and India, but it probably won't be as dramatic as Rome.

Drumroll

701 AUC
- Ptolemy XIII succeeds Ptolemy XII as Pharaoh of Aegyptus.

702 AUC
- Telephos I succeeds Menander II as the Indo-Greek King.

703 AUC
- The first private Roman newspaper, the Littera Diurna, is published. [24]
- Vonones I succeeds Mithridates III as King of Parthia.

704 AUC
- Ptolemy XIV succeeds Ptolemy XIII as Pharaoh of Aegyptus.
- The son of Menender II, Demetrius, rebels against Telephos.

705 AUC
- The owners of the Littera Diurna, as well as many others, are arrested on trumped up charges, due to their criticism of several optimate politicians.
- Riots erupt in Rome, due to the recent arrests. Several prominent optimate politicians are killed by the mobs.
- The Roman Senate votes Titus Antonius Subdolus dictator to quell the rioting. [25]

706 AUC
- Titus Antonius ends the rioting in Rome, but refuses to step down when his term as Dictator is over. The Senate votes him an additional term as dictator.
- Titus Antonius issues several proscriptions against his political opponents. Among these are Marcus Tullius Cicero, the famed orator.
- The Roman Civil War begins with the rebellion of Julius Caesar against Titus Antonius. [26]

707 AUC
- Aretas IV succeeds Rabbel II as king of Nabatea.
- The Parthians invade the Indo-Greek kingdom to support Demetrius' rebellion.
- A loose confederation of southern Gallic tribes is formed, under the leadership of the Arverni tribe. The king of the Arverni, Vercingetorix, is elected High King. [27]

708 AUC
- Pompeius joins the rebellion against Titus Antonius.
- The Xiongnu become vassals of Seres. [28]

709 AUC
- A young Pontic noble, claiming to be the son of Mithridates VI, takes the name Mithridates VII and declares a new Kingdom of Pontus.

710 AUC (44 BC)
- Near the Rubicon River, the Populares are defeated by Titus Antonius' army. Julius Caesar is killed in the battle. [29]
- Zhao Di orders several naval expeditions to southeast Asia, to establish control of the sea routes between Seres and India by establishing trade outposts and allying with local states.

711 AUC
- Zariadres I succeeds Artavasdes II as king of Armenia.
- Berenice VI succeeds Ptolemy XIV as Pharaoh of Aegyptus.

712 AUC
- The Kushan tribe of the Yuezhi confederation allies itself with Demetrius and beings migrating into the Indo-Greek realm.
- Vercingetorix invades the tribes west of the Gallic confederation, such as the Lemovices, Santones, and Pictones.

713 AUC
- The Populare army under Pompeius is able to defeat Mithridates VII near Chalcedon, with assistance from Armenia, which is granted territory in the far east of Pontus.

714 AUC
- The army of Pompeius is defeated by that of Titus Antonius outside of Pharsalus. Pompeius flees to Judea, where he has the support of King Antipater I.
- Titus Antonius defeats Pompeius and Antipater at the battle of Sepphoris. Pompeius commits suicide. [30]
- Judea is annexed to the Roman Rebublic, with Antipater's son, Herod as a puppet king of various provinces.

715 AUC
- Titus Antonius invades Nabatea and captures the Nabatean capital at Petra. Nabatea is annexed to the Roman Republic.
- Gallia Cisalpina is merged into Italia and its inhabitants are granted Italian rights. [31]
- Champa is established as a vassal state of Seres.

716 AUC
- Titus Antonius invades the Ma'in cities of Arabia.

717 AUC
- Demetrius defeats Telephos at Peshawar and becomes the Indo-Greek King.

718 AUC
- Funan is established as a vassal state of Seres. [32]

719 AUC
- Vercingetorix concludes the conquest of the western tribes with the capture of the Pictone capital of Limonium.

720 AUC (34 BC)
- The last Ma'in stronghold falls to the Romans and the west coast of Arabia is annexed to the Roman Republic. [33]

721 AUC
- Zariadres I invades Iberia.

722 AUC
- The client state of Numidia is annexed to the Roman Republic.

723 AUC
- Pacorus I succeeds Vonones I as King of Parthia.
- A Serean settlement is established on the Isthmus of Kra.

724 AUC
- Titus Antonius invades Aegyptus.
- The Romans capture Alexandria.

725 AUC
- Zariadres captures the Iberian capital of Mtskheta and annexes the country to his kingdom.

[24] The Littera Diurna translates to the Daily Dispatch. While the Republic has issued daily notices of government proceedings for more than half a century at this point, this is the first privately owned newspaper.
[25] Titus Antonius was a relative non entity, chosen for his apparent lack of ambition and military capability. However, both traits were underestimated.
[26] The Civil War is fought roughly on the lines of the Populare and Optimate factions, with Julius Caesar the de facto leader of the Populares, and Titus Antonius the leader of the Optimates. The Populares are most powerful in the east, particularly Dacia, while the Optimates are strongest in the west. These are not clear cut borders, nor are all the various legions willing to side with either faction.
[27] This confederation is formed due, in part, to the increasing threat of Roman invasion. Mainly, though, it was simply peaceful conquest on the part of the Arverni of the neighboring tribes.
[28] While the Xiongnu control a large territory, at this time, they're suffering from serious internal chaos.
[29] This battle, of course, concludes on the 15th of March.
[30] After the battle of Sepphoris, the Civil War turns to a stalemate. While the Populares have been defeated everywhere but Dacia, Titus Antonius does not bother to invade, but simply fortifies the Danuvius river. Titus keeps the rebel province as an excuse to continue his dictatorship, and to conquer states supposedly sympathetic to the Populares.
[31] In the our history, the incorporation of Cisalpine Gaul occurred a few years earlier.
[32] The Funanese quickly became famous for their music, impressing Zhao Di enough that he established an institute for their music.
[33] The Arabian Campaign was long and arduous. Casualties were high enough that Titus Antonius had to abandon his plan of conquering Arabia Felix (Yemen). Also, many partisans simply fled into the desert and joined the Bedouin raiders. The occupation of the region would prove to be similarly costly in attrition.

cough cough

hello?

By the way, I didn't draw the parallel originally, but Dacia at the moment is pretty much like Sertorian Spain.