Historia Mundi

January? Suck my thermos! I want an update now, goddammit now!

*Rant mode cancelled.*

Swamped with work in the run up to Christmas, eh? That's a diddly of a pickle. Hope you get through it all in one piece.

In these moments rereading from the beginning this great timeline.:)

Dominus has a great expertise in writing about Roman AH.

A pity that we have not an update soon, but I understand you totally, Dominus, real life attacks another time!;)

That Clio and Minerva are ever with you!:D

Warm greetings from a fan of this TL.

Best regards

Iñaki

Any chance of you actually updating this before my hair starts to fall out?

That depends on how soon you think your hair is going to fall out.

I'm really busy with so much stuff right now.

In all honesty, don't expect anything before late may at the soonest.

But I do appreciate your interest.

Cool, will follow, even if I don't post, which I probably will do at some point though.

btw, last time I read this, I couldn't find in the narrative when Syria etc were incorporated as a province, can you clarify that if you diverge the Seleucids?

It could be helpful if you did a basic timeline in addition to the current style, maybe after five or six chapters, so people have a basic reference?

Last edited:
In effort to drum up interest in the blog, I'd like to post a teaser for it here. If you'd like to read the rest of the update, please go to the blog, where you'll find the entire timeline so far.
http://historia-mundi.blogspot.com/2012/04/unification-of-gallia.html

The Unification of Gallia
The Gallic Republic was forged within the many wars that began roughly around 692 AUC (62 BC) that took place in the eastern half of Gallia, involving incursions from Germanic tribes and the migration of the Helvetii tribe. The Suebi, a powerful Germanic tribe under the leadership of their king, Ariovistus, entered into an alliance with the Sequani, a Gallic people living north of the Helvetii, who lived north of lake Lemanus (Geneva), to assist in their war against the Aedui, a powerful tribe living west of the Sequani.

The Aedui were a tribe closely allied to the Roman Republic, and had a political system that may have been inspired by the Romans. Their chief magistrate, known as as the Vergobretus ('judgement-worker'), was elcted annually, and had power of life and death over all of the Aedui, but was forbidden to go outside of their territory. They had many client tribes who depended upon the Aedui. The Sequani, meanwhile, quarreled with the Aedui often, and the opportunity to use the Suebi to defeat them was far too appealing.

The Aedui sent Diviciacus, who had previously served as their Vergobretus, to Rome to seek help. A skilled orator and personal friend of both Cicero and Caesar, he pleaded fiercely for Roman military aid. Eventually, one legion was sent, the Legio IV Gemini, under the command of Lucius Aurelius Cotta. The news of the Roman support for the Aedui intimidated some of the chieftains under Ariovistus, but most of the Suebi and Sequani followed through with their invasion.

The Aedui army met with that of the invaders near the fort of Cabilionum, on the Arar (Saone) river. The Romans, who had arrived shortly before, had spent much of their time improving the fortifications of the site, as well as building several artillery engines with which to bombard the Suebi and Sequani. The bombardment was so effective that the invaders were obliged to attempt to cross over the river, to the southeast.

The Aedui pursued them fiercely, leading to panic and confusion among the enemy ranks. As the warriors boarded their boats, the Roman artillery was able to sink many of them, drowning countless Suebi and Sequani. The remainder of the force was able to flee the battle, returning to their homelands. Cotta, satisfied that the Romans had fulfilled their obligation, withdrew back to Italia, while the Aedui followed the Sequani back some ways up the Arar river, ensuring the the Aedui would control the traffic along the river.

After this war, the prestige of the Aedui was greatly increased, and many nearby tribes acquiesced to their primacy, including the Lemovices, Petrocorii, and the Bituriges Vivisci (cousins to the Bituriges Cubi, who already were clients of the Aedui). Thus, the Aedui held sway over much of central Gallia, down to the borders of Gallia Narbonensis, the Roman province, and west to the Atlantic Ocean, just north of Aquitania.

However, the Sequani were not content to lay defeated, and soon found a new ally against the Aedui. This time, it was the Helvetii, a fellow Gallic tribe, who, under their king Orgetorix, desired to move westward, so as to flee the incursions of the Germanic tribes pressing against their boarders. Orgetorix, who was of a clever and militant mindset, eagerly encouraged an alliance with the Sequani, agreeing to split much of the land of the Aedui between them.

Comments are appreciated, particularly on the blog.

I hope nobody minds me bumping this up to the top again. Take into consideration that the version on the blog linked as '3.0' in my signature is the most up to date version. 2.0 is the link to the version on cf.net, almost identical to 3.0, and the other link is this thread itself. The general gist of the timeline is somewhat similar, but the version in this thread is a much cruder iteration.

Comments would be quite inspirational, since I'm in an AH kick again in life, and want to maximize my output before I find something else shiny to look at.

Does 3.0 end at a later date than 2.0?

Its more of an edited version of 2.0, and, though I didn't realize it at the time, I think the entirety of what I had on CF.net got lost in one of the forum glitches over that, so the link I provided is now junk.

Probably part of the reasons I decided to go make a blog. Anyway, if memory serves, 3.0 has just now surpassed 2.0 in length. I have a few new segments typed up, including a very big war that I'm working on.