High in Erin Sang the Sword: An Alternate History of Medieval Ireland

The Annals of Ulster
1017, Entry 1

The death of King Mael One-Eyed
caused a great division in his camp, as
his sons each claimed they were most
worthy to suceed him. Muirchertach
claimed that he should suceed his father,
for he would defeat the Vikings and Donnchad.
Conchobar, on the other hand, said that the
men of the North should ally with Donnchad until
the Vikings were defeated.

The Annals of Ulster
1017, Entry 2

Conchobar and Muirchertach,
sons of the dead King Mael One-Eyed,
came to blows at the meeting of the nobles
to decide who would next suceed their
father. Conchobar was driven back, and he
fled with his supporters to the camp of Donnchad,
where they joined with his cause. Muirchertach
claimed the crown of the land for himself, and set
off to fight Donnchad and his brother.

The Annals of Ulster
1017, Entry 3

Ospak the Seer and his foreigners
broke from the fort, scattering the forces
left behind to keep them there, slaying many
notable men. They moved deep into Meath,
scattering all who opposed them.

The Annals of Ulster
1017, Entry 4

Domnall, loyal supporter of Boru,
met Brodir, Earl of Man, outside of Cork.
There, Brodir and his foreigners drove
Domnall into the city, killing many men.

The Annals of Ulster
1017, Entry 5

Muirchetach and his men confronted Donnchad
Boru and Conchobar near the borders of Briefne and
Oriel. There, they fought a great battle; many brave
men were slain. However, Muirchetach was killed by Donnchad,
and the men of the North loyal to Muirchetach surrendered.
Donnchad, having consolidated his hold
over the North and East of the island,
sent Conchobar to face Ospak, and lead his own
force South to confront Brodir the Foreigner near Cork.

Does Donnchad Boru claim the title of High King at this point? He's just eliminated or vassalized all of his non-Norse rivals...not that there needs to be a definitive answer to that in the sagas.

If I were Brodir, I'd acknowledge such a claim, focus on rebuilding the Hiberno-Norse communities at Limerick and Cork, and leave my sons rich enough to buy and sell the High King out of their petty cash. But of course I'm not Brodir, and he's got some omens to live up to.

Interesting to me that Brodir is referred to as Earl and not Jarl. Scandinavian isn't the only cultural influence on our saga writer.

Carry on, I approve, etc.

Does Donnchad Boru claim the title of High King at this point? He's just eliminated or vassalized all of his non-Norse rivals...not that there needs to be a definitive answer to that in the sagas.

If I were Brodir, I'd acknowledge such a claim, focus on rebuilding the Hiberno-Norse communities at Limerick and Cork, and leave my sons rich enough to buy and sell the High King out of their petty cash. But of course I'm not Brodir, and he's got some omens to live up to.

Interesting to me that Brodir is referred to as Earl and not Jarl. Scandinavian isn't the only cultural influence on our saga writer.

Carry on, I approve, etc.

Brodir is only called the Earl by Njal's Saga (compiled in Iceland 200 years later), and in the Irish Annals. The Annals, of course, being Irish, would refer to him as Earl.

And, yeah, that would be the smart thing for Brodir to do, but hey, when fish leap into your boat by the thousands...

Last edited:
Brodir's Saga
Chapter 28
"The Battle of Kings"

Brodir was resting in his tent when a shout shook the camp. He awoke, and, sitting up, was confronted by the sight of his scouts running towards him, eyes wide open. He asked them what they had seen that had disturbed them so.

"My Lord, a great force of Irishmen are coming towards us! They bear the banner of Donnchad, son of Dead Brian, and they are truly a host without number!" [1]

Brodir pondered for a moment, before arising from his bed and girding about his armor.

"If Donnchad wants a battle, he will receive one. To arms!" The men of Brodir formed their shieldwall, facing the armies of Donnchad. A trump cried from the walls of Cork, and the remaining defenders, Domnall in the lead, charged towards the shield wall. Brodir's men were wedged between the two armies of the Irishmen; then, the battle was joined.

Many Irishmen fell before the swords and spears of the Norsemen, but they pressed on in their numbers against the shields, slaying many brave men. Brodir confronted Domnall in battle, and, after a terrible struggle, Brodir stabbed through his enemies chest with a strong blow. Thus fell Domnall.

Donnchad, seeing his most loyal supporter had fallen, flew in a rage towards Brodir, scattering many men. He threw a javelin at Brodir, but Brodir caught it and threw it back. Donnchad ducked, and it hit a man behind him. The two Kings then joined in a fierce battle; Brodir was knocked down four times, but his armor did not break. Finally, with a mighty swing, Brodir slashed the stomach of Donnchad; Donnchad fell to his knees; Brodir then swung his sword again, beheading the Irish pretender. Raising the bloody head of Donnchad Boru above his own, Brodir shouted loudly. Seeing their King had fallen, the Irish broke and fled, many killed by Norsemen in pursuit.

Thus it was that Brodir slew Donnchad, son of Dead Brian.

As his men were dividing the spoils of Donnchad's camp, Brodir found the sister of Donnchad, Aofie, protected by an old woman. Brodir approached Aofie to take her, but the old woman raised her hand and swore this oath:

"If you lie with Aofie, four generations hence your house may fall." Brodir laughed, and slew the old woman. He then took Aofie back to his camp, and lay with her.

Brodir, in triumph, marched his men North, to rout out the remaining resistance to his claim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]- Not really without number; modern day estimates claim that the Irish combined force probably had 25,000 men, if that, while the Norse had between 15,000 to 20,000.