High in Erin Sang the Sword: An Alternate History of Medieval Ireland

Delvestius

Banned
"both Dane and Icelander and Norwegian."

1. Just a small grammaticalissue2. Iceland was first permanently populated by the Norse in 874, I've a feeling this TL is a bit earlier in the century than that.

This was a great section, I loved how the leaders sized each other up and tried to meet in single combat :D

Faeelin

Banned
"both Dane and Icelander and Norwegian."

1. Just a small grammaticalissue2. Iceland was first permanently populated by the Norse in 874, I've a feeling this TL is a bit earlier in the century than that./QUOTE]

Actually, it's set in the 1010s.

This is freakin' awesome, both in style and content. I doubt I'll be able to say anything intelligent about it, but please continue.

Thank you for the compliment!
Massa Chief said:
I concur. Hail Brodir, (hopefully) High King of all the Irish!

What, no love for Donnchad Boru or King Mael One-Eyed? Thanks!

truth is life said:
The title was so awesome I couldn't help but read this. I am very pleased the timeline lived up to it! I'll have my eye on this one.

Ah, thank you! The original title was going to be Norsemen, Arise!, but then looking at the verse in the first post I realized that High in Erin Sang the Sword sounded alot cooler.

Here is a map of the Island at the beginning of the War of the Three Kings (1015)

Light Green= Loyal to Donnchad Boru
Dark Green= Loyal to King Mael One-Eyed
Pink= Loyal to Brodir, Earl of Man

Ireland 1015.png

And some symbols:

From left to right is the Celtic Lion of Donnchad Boru, the Man Enthroned of the Kings of Meath (the homeland of Mael One-Eyed), and the Triple Spiral of Brodir of Man (which would later evolve into the three-legged monstrosity that, in OTL, adorns the flag of Man).

Symbols.png

Yeah, no love for the native Irish kings (although I hope the O'Briens are at least vassalized or something). Norse Ireland is a cool idea.

Annals of Ulster
1016, Entry 4

Donnchad, son of Brian, did push
far into Breifne, and King Flaithbertach
called for the aid of his liege.
King Mael One-Eyed was loath to move
West, as his daughter was now the
prize of Ospak the Seer, so instead
he sent his lieutenant, Domnall
Ua Niell, son of Flaithbertach, as well
as the armies of his kinsmen to help
him.

Annals of Ulster
1016, Entry 5

Ospak the Seer approached the
gates of the hill-fort Isibeal,
his foreign army behind him.
King Mael was lying in wait by the side,
and arose when they past, leading his men
against the foreigners. There a great
battle ensued, and Ospak, seeing his
Gods were not with him that day,
retreated back to Aleanbh, pursued by
King Mael the entire way.

Annals of Ulster
1016, Entry 6

Donnchad Boru, leading his troops
against Flaithbertach and his son,
Domnall, met them in battle. The conflict
lasted from sunrise to evening. Domnall,
seeing that the day was with Boru, and
hoping to save his life and his power,
stabbed his father in the back and surrendered
his force to Donnchad, pledging his forces to the
Lion banner. Many of Domnalls men, opposed to his
treachery, retreated North and reformed.

Annals of Ulster
1016, Entry 7

Brave Domnall, son of Cathal, being
proud of his many victories against the foreigners,
lead his forces against the city of Waterford. However,
Ospak the Pretender met him near the city, and thrashed
his army, wounding Domnall and driving them back towards
Cork.

Annals of Ulster
1016, Entry 8

King Mael, angry at the betrayal of Domnall,
son of Flaithbertach, received a taunting letter
from Ospak,who wished to let him know that Aleanbh,
the daughter of Mael One-Eyed, was with his
child. In anger and rage, King Mael One-Eyed arose
from his tent, girded himself about with his mail,
and taking his hammer, walked up to the gates of
fort Aleanbh, where Ospak was besieged. There,
he hurled abuses at Ospak, invoking the curses
of the Almighty God upon the foreigners, and
swearing that the child Aleanbh would bear
would be the doom of Ospak. Ospak sneered in reply,
hurling a javelin at the King, who caught it in mid-air
and threw it back at the walls, killing a man standing
near Ospak. The King was then compelled by his forces
to return to his tent.

Attention Skraelings! This TL is not yet dead. I will update it once the holiday is over. Until then, a Good Yule to you all!

Brodir's Saga
Chapter 24
"The Death of Mael One-Eyed"

King Mael One-Eyed, facing the crises in his homelands, yet loath to leave the siege of Ospak, who he wished to slay personally, decided to break his Christian bonds and search for a cunning woman to read his portents. With no more than a few of his huscarls [1], Mael One-Eyed rode to the home of a cunning woman, an old crone whose name was Feenat. She lived in a hovel on the farm of one Alaster of White Hill, who had a beautiful daughter named Ailis, the most reknowned beauty in her quarter [2].

King Mael and his huscarls reached the farm in the evening, where they talked with Alaster. When the King made his purpose known unto Alaster, the farmer agreed to lead the King to the hut of the cunning woman. He would then leave the King to conference with Feenat until the next day dawned.

Before he took the King to the cunning woman, Alaster instructed his daughter to give bread and beer to the huscarls. After the two departed, Ailis did so, setting out the board for the men of King Mael One-Eyed.

Alaster lead King Mael through a dark wood to the hovel of Feenat. There, Alaster stepped aside, spreading out his bedroll, and allowed the King to approach the hut by himself. King Mael rapped on the door three times, as he was instructed, and it was opened to him. [3]

Meanwhile, back at the farmstead, the huscarls of King Mael began to grow restless. One of them began to make advances upon Ailis, who reproved him, being an honorable maid. The huscarls began to goad Ailis with trinkets and baubles, trying to win her favor. Ailis steadfastly reproved them. The huscarls began to grow violent in their advances, forcing Ailis to retreat to a shed of the farmstead, where she barricaded herself.

When morning dawned, Alaster awoke to see King Mael wandering from Feenat's hovel with a pale and dazed expression. Alaster talked with him, and gave him some porridge, which somehwat improved the King's countenance. They then returned to the farmstead, where they say the huscarls besieging the maid Ailis in the shed.

The King and Alaster stopped the siege, allowing Ailis to emerge from the shed. She related what had happened the night before; the huscarls disputed her claim, saying that she was a lying wench who had been goading them. The King sided with his huscarls, and offered to pay the dowry for Ailis, in exchange for her marrying one of the huscarls. Alaster, loath to disbelieve his daughter, refused the King.

This enraged the King, who ordered his huscarls to remove Ailis forcibly. Alaster resisted, grabbing a strudy cudgel he wore on his belt, and proceeded to defend Ailis bravely. However, though he knocked down two of the huscarls, he was overwhelmed and killed.

Ailis, in rage and anguish, grasped one of the swords of King Mael One-Eyed's huscarls, and threw herself against them. The remaining two huscarls fell in an instant; King Mael defended himself with his hammer until he tripped backwards over a root. Ailis then beheaded him with a single stroke.

Taking the head and hammer of King Mael One-Eyed, and placing them in a bag, Ailis fled to the fort where Ospak and his men were encamped. There, she related to Ospak the story of what had happened at the farmstead. Ospak laughed, and did not believe her until she produced the hammer and the head of King Mael. Ospak then called for meat and drink, and feted Ailis as any other conquering warrior. From that day forth, Ailis was referred to as "Ailis Sword-Maiden".

The head of King Mael was placed upon the top of Ospak's banner, and his hammer was sent back to Brodir, along with the tale of Ailis Sword-Maiden's victory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]- Here the author of the Saga gives away his culture as Scandanavian; he refers to the guards of an Irish king as huscarls, an almost exclusivly Germanic term.
[2]- Quarters here refer to a much later administrative dividing of Ireland, which had not yet happened at the time of the Saga's setting, giving evidence that the author of the Saga used various sources.
[3]- No edition of the Saga has included what the witch said to King Mael One-Eyed, though some other manuscripts (such as the Song of Brian the Young and the fragmentary Ospak Saga) say that the witch asked the King why a dead man would seek her guidance.