Harald Hardrada wins the crown: Collaborative timeline

I... Had an idea that may cross the silly boundary a bit. The Mongols flee the plague into Japan, which itself is being wracked in a succession crisis because of the plague... The mongols court seizes Chinese ships and ships a good portion of their army and people over, taking advantage of the Japanese turmoil. Over generations, Mongol culture will look as similar to original Japanese as English does to Anglo saxon

Well, the Mongols could splinter into many, many smaller and larger factions some cojld go south to persia, some could follow the Tuvans west and some could jump to Korea and Japan :) we just need to make up some names for these smaller "hordes"

Neither did I:

The (Nestorian) Mongols that end up in Japan:

The Dalain Horde, with the Imperial Palace in Füqüoqua. The Emperors, and the people, devoutly follow the faith of Nyesto Itgel (Nestorian, though I imagine many of the Kami have become identified with saints)

I almost wish they converted to a different kind of Christianity. The Paulician Creed is an interesting sect of Christian thought, as it refutes the Old Testament. It would make it a lot easier to blend in to another culture. Its also somewhat gnostic in nature.

EDIT: Although, as Neostorianism is already entrenched into the steppes, it would be easier to execute. But with the vastness of the steppe, whos to say Paulicanism can't spread from Tartars to Turks to Tuvans.

Did the norse have a separate version of Christianity at this point? Or can we make Nordic Christianity a thing?

There was a odd Norse Christian syncretism but it was wiped out relatively early. Maybe a Finnic-Christian faith. And when I say wiped out, I dont mean forcefully, I just mean the Norse slowly dropped their old beliefs. When the church deems any pagan leanings heretical, you drop that shit like hot coals.

There was a odd Norse Christian syncretism but it was wiped out relatively early. Maybe a Finnic-Christian faith. And when I say wiped out, I dont mean forcefully, I just mean the Norse slowly dropped their old beliefs. When the church deems any pagan leanings heretical, you drop that shit like hot coals.

Unless your the king of several kingdoms like our friend Harry Norse

pic_04.jpg

"The cross displays an innovative fusion of local and exotic styles, and the ribbon interlace in particular has been identified as being Anglo-Scandinavian, owing to its rarity in Scandinavia (Fuglesang 1986: 214). The body has geometric, regular ornament in the Borre style, and has ring-chain, cabled borders, interlace and plait designs on the faces, along with figurative scenes of animals and horsemen. The scenes are not regulated by borders, complicating an interpretation of the iconography and narrative.

A Christian scene can be clearly identified, however, on the east side of the shaft. A crucified Christ, with arms outstretched, is depicted with a stream of blood pouring down into the register beneath him. A female figure in profile is below Christ, carrying a horn-like object, and is depicted in a traditionally Scandinavian manner (Bailey 1996: 89). A spear can be seen in the hand of a male figure in profile, standing opposite the female figure. Beneath this scene, two intertwined beasts with open mouths are shown. The iconography of crucifixion and Christ in this scene, although recognisable to a Christian audience, is unconventional and rarely found on contemporary stone sculpture (See also the cross from Kirk Andreas, on the Isle of Man). The rendering of the crucifixion without the cross is also unusual, as is the pairing of the male and female attendants. Lang has argued that the female figure is Mary Magdalene and that the male is Longinus, who, in the passion story, was unable to recognise the divinity of Christ until Christ’s blood flowed onto him (Lang 2002a: 102). These two figures represent converted heathens, and so it follows that their depiction would reach out to an audience in the midst of such a process."

"The non-Christian elements of the cross are associated with Ragnarök scenes from Scandinavian mythology. Ragnarök is a destruction myth from the Scandinavian mythological canon which tells the story of the end of the world following the end of the Golden Age of harmony. After the end of the Golden Age, the world fell into trouble and greed, the end result of which will be the end of the world itself (a future event). The scenes of Ragnarök on the Gosforth Cross include a scene above the crucifixion of Viðarr avenging the death of his father, Odin. Also featured are Heimdallr, holding the horn which will wake the gods, the devil-god Loki and his wife Sigyn.

That both Christ and Viðarr are featured on the east side is significant to note, as it allows the audience to draw parallels between the two religions. There are many points of overlap between Norse pagan and Christian figures and stories, and so the careful use of certain themes or figures would have been intentional, in order to create a link between the two religions."

https://theobjectagency.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/religious-syncretism-in-anglo-scandinavian-stone-sculpture/

pic_04.jpg

I almost wish they converted to a different kind of Christianity. The Paulician Creed is an interesting sect of Christian thought, as it refutes the Old Testament. It would make it a lot easier to blend in to another culture. Its also somewhat gnostic in nature.

EDIT: Although, as Neostorianism is already entrenched into the steppes, it would be easier to execute. But with the vastness of the steppe, whos to say Paulicanism can't spread from Tartars to Turks to Tuvans.

Paulician is interesting, and I'd be happy to switch it it, I just chose nestorianism because of it's connections with OTL mongols.