Happy and Glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not dead, it's just resting.

I'm still working on the book version which is very different from what is written here. I may post something soon and maybe a snippet from the book version to see if it passes the test of knowledgeable people on this site.

Understood:)

Maybe we should start talking about food..

The McHappyGloriousBurger?? :D:D

Suddenly I was dragged from the pub to this place, for reasons unknown.

Anyway.

The other day I investigated the application of smoked Parma ham to the humble Scotch Egg. It turns out that Parma ham is a rather useful material when the Planner (Brooke?) needs something to mop up unexpected but foreseeable problems. In this case, an excess of yolk as applied to an under boiled egg.

Perhaps an observer would posit that the sausage meat would be adequate in this circumstance, but that would assume a high degree of training before action. Not unlike the lessons applied by Field Marshal Montgomery. Really, a regular person should have Parma to hand, just in case.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
This talk of runny yolks reminds me of the arrsepedia entry on banjos. A type of egg sandwich so running in yolk that the victim winds up rubbing it on/in/off their jumper while holding the rest of the dripping doorstep at arms length. The resulting appearance is of playing an invisible banjo.

This talk of runny yolks reminds me of the arrsepedia entry on banjos. A type of egg sandwich so running in yolk that the victim winds up rubbing it on/in/off their jumper while holding the rest of the dripping doorstep at arms length. The resulting appearance is of playing an invisible banjo.

That is quite fantastic. I would pay good money to see that

Happy and Glorious

continued

February 9th 1947

London

Anthony Eden was still half drunk from a late night dinner party he had been attending as he listened to Bevin tell him about Churchill's passing. Bevin felt a little disgusted that the High Tory had been living the high life while terrible things were happening all around them.

"I saw it coming but I still find it difficult to believe" said Eden.

"You're telling me" replied the old Trades Union man as he leaned against a mantlepiece that was taller than he was.

"This is going to be one hell of a blow to morale"

"I know"

"We should keep it quiet for a few days. At least until a successor is appointed and become clearer "

"No that wouldn't do. People would get angry if they knew we were keeping things like this from them and the enemy would have a field day"

"Has the King been told?"

"Yes and he will send for a new Prime Minister after this morning's Cabinet meeting"

"I see" said Eden who had noticeably paled.

Bevin did his best not to smirk. He knew that whatever the King's private politics may be he wasn't going to send for Eden.

Germany

The mini collapse gathered momentum among the Anglo-American troops as they fell back from the Rhine toward the French frontier. Some of the troops were openly disobedient while others pretended to sleep as their officers barked frantic orders. The Russian troops were a mixture of demoralized and hungry men looking for a way to desert and others who were fanatical and out for revenge against the Allies.

Netherlands

Soviet Marshal Vatutin left Amsterdam with a group of Dutch politicians and as prisoners. As they made their way along the road they were met in the opposite direction with trucks carrying a deadly cargo.

TBC

Happy and Glorious

continued

February 9th 1947

London

Bevin did his best not to smirk. He knew that whatever the King's private politics may be he wasn't going to send for Eden.[/FONT]

Poor Anthony Eden. Guy should have stayed off the sauce. Then again, history OTL has shown he wasn't a wartime leader.

Germany

The mini collapse gathered momentum among the Anglo-American troops as they fell back from the Rhine toward the French frontier. Some of the troops were openly disobedient while others pretended to sleep as their officers barked frantic orders. The Russian troops were a mixture of demoralized and hungry men looking for a way to desert and others who were fanatical and out for revenge against the Allies.

What. A. Mess. At least geography and weather favor the defense for the Allies. Not to mention that a fragmenting defense will still always have the advantage over a fragmenting offense. The defender only has to hold together, defend itself while it withdraws, and above all, avoid capture at the hands of a very bloodthirsty foe (think fighting the SS or the Imperial Japanese). The attacker, with a half-demoralized force, has a lot more things to worry about.

Netherlands

Soviet Marshal Vatutin left Amsterdam with a group of Dutch politicians and as prisoners. As they made their way along the road they were met in the opposite direction with trucks carrying a deadly cargo.

TBC

Dutch politicians? He took them alive!?:p

"A deadly cargo"? Hmm. They don't have nuclear weapons. They don't have air superiority, or pretty much even air parity at this point, and the weather is still atrocious. So delivering any WMDs by air (in any significant fashion) is out. But they'll still have plenty of artillery. Using chemicals is about all they have available in terms of serious capacity. Though this seems more like a political action than military, as gas is a mostly defensive/loser's trick in 1947 in terms of viability for aiding offensive action. Mustard gas is a logistical nightmare (and how many Soviet troops still have their gas masks?). If the Soviets are using nerve gas, what kind of agents can be effectively employed (in a winter environment!) that won't require full-on protective gear that the average Ivan simply won't have?

And however its employed, this also means (weather or no) that Britain unleashes its anthrax. Curious. A good measure of Stalin's desperation, as he knows all about Britain's awesome germ arsenal.:eek:

What is the viability of bacteriologicals in a winter environment?:confused:

Nice to see this back

EDIT: Went back to the Soviet usage of gas earlier ITTL and the discussion that followed (Posts 2400s-2420s). It seems that strategic surprise has been lost regarding chemicals and that they DON'T work well in winter.

Last edited:
Happy and Glorious

continued

February 10th 1947

"This is London. The Prime Minister Winston Churchill is dead. He passed away............"

The news of Churchill's death, the war in the Europe and the bitter winter had all made February 1947 one the worst imaginable for the British people. Even those who hated Churchill (and there were some) felt no sense of joy at this time. The scale of events was too much for most people and a feeling of numbness and fatalism spread through the nation.

In Europe morale was already collapsing among many Allied units and there was no stomach for war. The Soviets were in the same position with many of their troops deserting too. The morale problem was even being acknowledged by Patton who sent a message to Washington urging that the Atom Bomb be used in Western Europe.

"My men are asking why they are fighting and dying in the snow when Washington has the weapons that could stop the enemy advance in its tracks without a single GI having to get hurt" he said.

Ernest Bevin the new British Prime Minister had come to a similar conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.