Greater Mexican Cession to the United States

One major factor people are not considering is that after the annexation Mexican's were given the choice to stay or leave, if they stayed they were given US citizenship but property rights would not necessarily be protected. A very large number chose to leave. This would easily have been the case elsewhere. Assimilating them would not have been as difficult as people think, given the silver rush they would have been flooded with American's. The United States was able to capture and maintain control of Mexico city, a urban area populated with millions, I do not think it would have been too hard for slave owners to protect their newly expanded institutions.

As for Yucatan, slavery would not have expanded there, not initially at least. It probably would have been a bit difficult to incorporate as state & would have stayed as a protectorate for while, however, a large minority out of its 500+ population at the time where Urban Whites who had enclosed themselves in cities as they feared being driven out by the Natives. If US intervened the British would not be supplying arms to the natives to avoid annoying the US, this of coarse is as long as the US does not expand slavery there.

As for Rio-Grande, its revolution was too heavily influenced by the pro-slavery Texas, so I suppose after being incorporated by the US it would have gone down as a slave state.

Cuba would a much easier integration at that time but the wealth of it's own sugar exports would more likely mean a Spanish Empire/Frontier America war at this time with Spain far stronger and comparable than in 1898. Helping the Cubans throw out the Spanish is a much different proposition than a weak neighbor with a long history of dispossessing anyone else from established farms, plantations, towns, etc., just like the Phillipine Insurrection. Probably would come in as a slave state but one in chaos.

I think the best time to cease Cuba would have been during the Spanish Civil War, they were willing to negotiate anything during the Adams-Onis agreement and even better if you delay talks as Spain would've been even weaker, the US could have virtually took Cuba and legitimized this by agreeing to pay them and for a few land swaps during negotiations. I reckon without much resistance as the white Creole majority in Cuba was pretty pro-US at the time.

Perhaps the US acquires Cuba during the time of the Adams-Onis Treaty or a bit before, at this point Spain was erupting in a civil war, it's empire was falling apart as wars for independence became popular and the economy was falling apart, I do not think having another War with the US was preferable. Have the United States occupy Cuba and legitimise its claims by paying the Spanish for it in Adams-Onis diplomatic negotiations and the US gets to keep Cuba for sure. However, how would you have the US create a Navy, from what I know politically it was not viable.

That's the path I'll be taking in 32nd State. The US buys Florida and Cuba and Spain uses that money to fund their wars against Mexico, Grand Colombia and Peru.

For the naval part, I was thinking Jackson calls for naval volunteers and gets a bunch of privateers and smugglers to join his cause...

That's the path I'll be taking in 32nd State. The US buys Florida and Cuba and Spain uses that money to fund their wars against Mexico, Grand Colombia and Peru.

For the naval part, I was thinking Jackson calls for naval volunteers and gets a bunch of privateers and smugglers to join his cause...

I've read your work and it's very interesting to say the least.

Deleted member 67076

One major factor people are not considering is that after the annexation Mexican's were given the choice to stay or leave, if they stayed they were given US citizenship but property rights would not necessarily be protected. A very large number chose to leave. This would easily have been the case elsewhere. Assimilating them would not have been as difficult as people think, given the silver rush they would have been flooded with American's. The United States was able to capture and maintain control of Mexico city, a urban area populated with millions, I do not think it would have been too hard for slave owners to protect their newly expanded institutions.
Not comparable. US army =/= whatever forces slave owners would have on hand.

As for Yucatan, slavery would not have expanded there, not initially at least. It probably would have been a bit difficult to incorporate as state & would have stayed as a protectorate for while, however, a large minority out of its 500+ population at the time where Urban Whites who had enclosed themselves in cities as they feared being driven out by the Natives. If US intervened the British would not be supplying arms to the natives to avoid annoying the US, this of coarse is as long as the US does not expand slavery there.

As for Rio-Grande, its revolution was too heavily influenced by the pro-slavery Texas, so I suppose after being incorporated by the US it would have gone down as a slave state.

I was with you right up until the "slave owners would have little trouble" part, TBH; Because if there's one thing many Mexicans would not stand for, it was slavery. If anything at all, the Mexican states would, by and large, be turned into free states(with Nuevo Leon being the only notable exception, perhaps, and even that is not for certain).

Why not just put off negotiation until the territory is full of American settlers?

It could happen, but it'd take quite a while: by then, Polk probably wouldn't even be alive, let alone in office(he died in 1853 IOTL).

Nope, 25th parallel was the farthest they could go.

Well, they *could* theoretically have taken *all* of the sparsely populated north, parts of which went as far south as the Tropic of Cancer.....

What if there was more than one Mexican-American War? The U.S. could take more land from the Mexicans every war until the country becomes a rump state.

Also, how would the South feel about the peonage system? Would they tolerate it at least?