FDR killed as president elect in 1933 and his VP is a Keynesian southerner who’s also interventionist on foreign policy (not Huey Long), what changes?

I’m very curious on this because I’ve wondered about how having a liberal southerner being the one to implement the new deal without caring of budget deficits would change how US politics would look like. How much support would he have in congress? if he tried to court pack would southern dems back him? Would Richard Russell Jr. and other southern dems agree to join in the conservative coalition? Would Huey Long try to run for president? I’m curious what others think about this scenario because I’m truly not sure.

Last edited:
Glancing through the 1932 election wiki pages, it doesn’t look like there were any Southern Democrats running for president to give the vice presidency to that shared FDR’s policy program, just several who fell in line to varying degrees before turning on the New Deal, again to varying degrees. Were there any Southern Dems who supported FDR’s policies that might somehow finagle the vice presidential nod without alienating conservative and establishment Democrats enough to throw the election to Hoover? I know 57-40 in the popular vote is impressive, as is the historical electoral college landslide, but I have no idea how that broke down state by state. It’s a little hand-wavey, but could the most plausible option be John Nance Garner having some sort of revelatory change of heart, maybe relating to the assassination?