Europe's Hope & Britain's Glory - A Georgian Alternate History

Faeelin

Banned
Wow. I need a chartist flag ASAP.

This is very... Pride and Prejudice. I mean that in a (mostly) good way.

The red-white-green traditionally used by British republicans is truly quite bland though; although some Chartists preferred a blue-white-green horizontal tricolor (rather like a flipped-over flag of Sierra Leone). The only other 'Chartist Flag' I can thing of aside from that would be the Eureka Flag, but that happened within an entirely different context.

This is very... Pride and Prejudice. I mean that in a (mostly) good way.

No hope for Charlotte? ;)

The late Hannoverians were very... Well. It explains itself. Victoria is so very dull compared to them. The compliment from you means so much though. :eek:

The red-white-green traditionally used by British republicans is truly quite bland though; although some Chartists preferred a blue-white-green horizontal tricolor (rather like a flipped-over flag of Sierra Leone). The only other 'Chartist Flag' I can thing of aside from that would be the Eureka Flag, but that happened within an entirely different context.

The Chartists seem to have no unique flags. :p After all, their tricolor is the same as the one adopted by the Hungarians, no?

But, it's still a time away for them... although we're soon gonna be dealing with the aftermath of Waterloo. Corn laws, Peterloo, Swing Riots, the smashing of machinery...

All while Charlotte is probably oblivious.

So much for Whiggish hopes. ;) But I'm sure she has her sympathy -- Victoria certainly did when she traveled as a girl. But sympathy and doing things are quite different, but of course Victoria came to the throne at eighteen and Melbourne kindly told her what her powers were -- quite contrary to the powers the sovereign actually possessed, such as William IV. Charlotte may or may not be more liberal, but she's still going to come to the throne with that Hannoverian style that she is a sovereign. Let's hope she gets some much needed political training, which perhaps her hubby can provide.

463pxkinggeorgeivwhenpr.jpg

Charlotte’s father, George, the Prince Regent, in the uniform of a British Field Marshal with the medals of the Order of the Golden Fleece, the Order of the Garter, the Saint Esprit, the Black Eagle, and the Order of St. Andrew. Despite having never fought a battle and having no interest in military affairs, he took great pride in his so-called “accomplishments.”

Chapter IV. Courtship Interrupted
“No one has prepossessed me as much as Prince Friedrich of Prussia. I have heard so much of his bravery and gallantry on the field, and I must say that he is the most agreeable to me. I’ve heard most famously of his great cavalry charge at the Battle of Dennewitz and his bravery at Wavre too, where his timing certainly played a role in allowing our dear Wellington and Allies to win at Waterloo, and that he has been given the Order of the Black Eagle…”
— Supposed reply of Charlotte of Wales, when asked of the Duke of York which foreign prince she should like to have as a husband

At the end of the year, matters at Cranborne began to improve. Charlotte still remained confined under surveillance, and even though the Prince Regent continued to treat her coolly despite their reconciliation at Christmas, she noted she was given significantly more freedom as before. The question of her marriage was once more at the forefront. The Prince of Wales had been utterly humiliated by his daughter’s raucous behavior and by this time he was forced to admit that the Prince of Orange would not be the perfect match for his daughter. However petty and tyrannical the Prince Regent could be, he had met his match in Charlotte. The past few months had proved one major thing—that it would be utterly futile to impose a husband upon his daughter whom she did not like. More than that, it would be widely unpopular.

With his dreams of a Dutch Marriage dashed by the united opposition of Charlotte, members of the Royal Family, and by popular outcry, George IV took the easy path and did what he always did when things got too rough for him in his oh-so-difficult life. He gave up. Charlotte would be allowed to choose her own husband. Having dealt with her stubbornness once, he would not dare try it again. She certainly could pick no worse than he had nearly twenty years before in choosing the Princess Caroline, despite the utterly different situations. George, being an indebted, intoxicated, rake, had married gambling upon lavish funds from parliament. Charlotte, although imbued with her own vices that came with the Hannoverian blood in her veins, was a young maiden rolling the marriage dice to gamble upon love and affection from her future spouse, and freedom from her overbearing family. Freedom of course meant the price of an establishment and parliamentary funds as well, but Charlotte was not as concerned about the details as Prince George had been.

Charlotte’s mind remained settled upon Prince Friedrich, who had returned to the continent. They had not met since the visit of the Allied Sovereigns in 1814, where Charlotte had met liberally with the Prussian Prince with the Grand Duchess Catherine Pavlovna as her chaperone. He had even struck up a rapport with the Royal Family, his sending off including an interview with the Prince Regent as well as the Duke of Kent. Kent, an erstwhile supporter of his niece, became very important in the coming months. By early 1815, Charlotte was most definitely decided upon Prince Friedrich, and Prince George had given up his hopes for a Dutch marriage (even the Prince of Orange had tired of the charade—he became engaged to Anna Pavlovna that summer, roused on by Catherine Pavlovna herself).

Friedrich’s journeys since his return to the continent at the end of the sovereigns visit in July 1814 had taken him to firstly to Holland, where he met with his aunt, the Queen of the Netherlands, Wilhelmine. He wrote in his journal that “Tante Wilhelmine is very well indeed—the airs of Holland suit her very well and I think she is glad to be back in Holland, where she says it is so much quieter.” Before Friedrich returned home to Berlin, he had one stop more much important than Holland—Neustrlitz, capital of tiny Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and the home of his maternal grandfather and where her mother now lived following her separation from her second husband. Friedrich had a tearful reunion with his mother, Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz whom he had not seen in many years. After meeting her with, he allowed the Duke of Cumberland an interview. Cumberland, one of Charlotte’s uncles and the most unpopular was in Germany laying low, having become embroiled in a scandal selling army commissions. Yet despite his appearance, he was no less a womanizer than any of his other brothers, and had become smitten with Federica and desired to marry her as soon as she became free to remarry—which she promptly became free to be in April of 1814. Friedrich wrote not long after his arrival: “Mother has never lost her charms—the Duke of C. is smitten like a schoolboy; I do really think he intends to marry her, too… I just hope not too soon, as nice as C. can be, I know his feelings… I do not want to come to England associated with that.”

Friedrich encouraged the marriage to a point—while Cumberland was unpopular in England, he generally got along with the duke, although Friedrich was distasteful of many of his stronger views. He wanted them to marry to increase his ties within the British Royal Family, but at his insistence. He spoke privately to his mother that, “Cousin E. can sometimes be very strong in his words and he is not very well liked in England. You know very well how I feel about dearest Charlotte and I am certain we will wed. I just ask you marry the Duke after my own nuptials…” But Federica was determined to marry the Duke of Cumberland when she pleased, as Friedrich wrote (somewhat dejectedly) upon the announcement of their engagement—August 12th. Left NS at 9’o’clock in the morning after supping with Mama, Cousin Ernst, and Grandpapa. Found that Cousin E. has asked for Mama’s hand. She is ecstatic. Everyone is just so taken with Cousin Ernst—I find him well enough, but it is unbecoming of mother; Grandpapa should be mindful of that… he was in tears, tossing his arms around her that he had a sister for a Queen of England, and now a daughter for a Duchess of Cumberland, and if only he had had more daughters—completely forgetting that I am his grandson! I will always be von Preußen, but it is ridiculous, this wedding mania that may hurt my own cause and make Charlotte think badly of me…”

Friedrich never dallied at Anhalt, a fact that if truthful had (dismayed) Charlotte. Indeed, whilst invited to Bernburg, Friedrich spurned the invitation of the duke to meet his daughter and promptly returned to Berlin where he briefly took up residence at what was had been his childhood home, Schönhausen Palace. King Friedrich Wilhelm III desired his cousin’s attendance upon him in Vienna, but Friedrich had no wish to become involved in the great society there. Indeed, his matters before society, The Times would later write during his courtship with Charlotte was that of his bills: “His Royal Highness made it a model to settle all debts promptly; upon arrival at Schönhausen he drew up a list of what was owed and due, sending his servants to settle his bills promptly, and even has plans to reduce waste and profligacy at his Palais.” It was all fluff. While Friedrich did manage his money well, he was no frugal miser; he certainly had debts, but unlike Charlotte, could pay them off. He received an annuity just as she, supplemented by his income as an officer. Schönhausen was merely another play—Friedrich did no sort of economizing. Instead his time in Berlin was hardly societal, as it took part as a petty envoy to his cousin involving what became known as the Coburg Affair[1] that was eventually settled in favor of Prussia but forever caused great enmity between Friedrich Wilhelm III and Duke Ernst of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, who was viewed as a societal climber, seeking to expand not only his duchy but his family name, too.

Friedrich spent his idle time in Berlin beginning an exchange of letters with Charlotte, through the Duke of Kent (and secondarily through Cumberland, an act that warmed the princess towards that particular uncle). This informal courtship seemed to be going quite smoothly, and Friedrich was receptive to Charlotte’s proposal that they wed. Yet the uncertain situation in Europe was compounded by the return of Napoleon from Elba and his intention to seize the French throne again. Friedrich was summoned back to his regiment in Belgium, and Charlotte wrote tearfully that “Perhaps I shall never hear, see, or write to him again…” Friedrich played a vital role at Wavry, and Napoleon was ultimately defeated at Waterloo and deported a second time, this time to the remote St. Helena. The Congress at Vienna reconvened to discuss more punitive measures against France to prevent a punitive Bonapartist rising and to secure Louis XVIII and the Bourbons upon their throne. It was at this time following Waterloo that Charlotte formally requested the Prince Regent’s permission to marry Friedrich, which he declined, citing the uncertain situation in Europe. Charlotte was irritated, considering the marriage of the Duke and (now) Duchess of Cumberland in May of 1815 at Neustrelitz in the midst of the entire mess, with a planned ceremony at Kew in August. The Prince Regent would not be swayed and sent Charlotte off to Weymouth.

Meanwhile, Friedrich remained stationed at the frontier. The intervention of his uncle Friedrich Wilhelm III saw him freed from his regimental duties and invited to Paris where he enjoyed the festivities. He contented himself with quiet affairs mostly; despite the variety of balls, celebrations, and ladies to be had, he preferred his hotel chambers, where he had the reliant service of an officer dutifully attached to the Duke of Kent. Using him, Friedrich passed on notes to Charlotte regarding the affairs in Paris. She wished deeply for him to come to England, but he dare not offend the Prince Regent. Yet whilst feigning patience (to Charlotte’s irritation) the Prussian was actually just as impatient as her. Quickly writing to the Prince Regent, Friedrich was egged on by his uncle the King of Prussia who clearly saw how besotted his nephew was and wanted to capitalize on Charlotte’s own feelings. “What can I ever write?” Prince Friedrich was claimed to shout, deeply angry. “I cannot offer him anything except to demand that I wish to be his daughter’s husband!”

The King of Prussia howled with laughter. “Then I shall offer him the Order of the Black Eagle. That old fool can’t resist a great medal! It would only be fair he offers me the garter—and I will be very insistent you accompany me. Even if he does not, I will insist to bring him that damned medal in person. We shall go to London, nephew, and you will have your Charlotte.”

[1] A row broke out between the Coburgs and the Hohenzollerns over the Principality of Lichtenburg—the Coburgs wished to swap it for territories which Prussia held within the Ernistine stem duchies. Leopold I, puffed up by Alexander’s protection, attempted to be demanding and got rebuffed. Prussia bought the principality in 1834.

Last edited:
Yes, the Prince Regent really is a big buffoon, after all.

And FWIII isn't doing too bad at exploiting it, either.

He is. There's not much to be said about him.

Now, the King of Prussia had his own issues; he had the Hohenzollern determination to retain his personal power without their strength to use it. He wasn't dumb, though, and I think he could outwit the PR.

The interesting thing about Prince Friedrich his mother. Federica was Queen Charlotte's niece. This made George III and Queen Charlotte his great uncle and great aunt. The Queen didn't like his mother, though, and may disapprove of Friedrich for Charlotte, but Friedrich is at the very least related to the British Royal Family, albeit distantly. All the Dukes are his 2nd cousins I believe, with Charlotte being his third. The Xenophobia may be lessened given his Strelitz connection.

He is. There's not much to be said about him.

Now, the King of Prussia had his own issues; he had the Hohenzollern determination to retain his personal power without their strength to use it. He wasn't dumb, though, and I think he could outwit the PR.

The interesting thing about Prince Friedrich his mother. Federica was Queen Charlotte's niece. This made George III and Queen Charlotte his great uncle and great aunt. The Queen didn't like his mother, though, and may disapprove of Friedrich for Charlotte, but Friedrich is at the very least related to the British Royal Family, albeit distantly. All the Dukes are his 2nd cousins I believe, with Charlotte being his third. The Xenophobia may be lessened given his Strelitz connection.

Yeah, he didn't take after his own great-uncle - and neither of his sons were much better in terms of being talented, a fact exploited by Bismarck OTL.

Yeah, he didn't take after his own great-uncle - and neither of his sons were much better in terms of being talented, a fact exploited by Bismarck OTL.

Pretty much.

Although, not that Britain's Hope is intelligent either. Her father kept her as a virtual child until she married, and even then no one in the family saw her fit to be trained as a future queen, even when her role became quite clear after her birth. This is great contrast to Victoria who received a rather sturdy education.

Not saying Charlotte wasn't educated, but it wasn't the education excepted of a future sovereign. It was the typical education of an aristocratic girl, readied for marriage. Not saying Charlotte can't learn.... she did have an interest in her future position. But it will be different from Victoria. She'll have a husband to lean on from the start instead of politicians.

This could get interesting.

If George IV still dies as OTL, Charlotte I (or maybe "Augusta I") ascends the throne about when the Belgian revolt breaks out. This could trigger a number of butterflies. Prussia may be emboldened to intervene on King Willem's side (iirc the two kings are brothers in law) in the belief that the Prussian Prince-Consort will swing his wife against any British intervention, and that France won't intervene alone. OTOH, the Belgians may attempt to head off this threat by choosing a Hohenzollern (a Catholic Sigmaringen perhaps) as their king.

Then there's Denmark. Is it conceivable that Louise of Hesse-Kassel may be persuaded to marry a Hohenzollern instead of the future Christian IX? That scotches the Schleswig-Holstein business, since the King of Prussia won't rob a member of his own house, nor let anyone else do so.

Does the Crimean War still happen? If Britain and Prussia are closer, might we see a joint Anglo-Franco-Prussian ultimatum, forciing the Tsar to back down from war with Turkey?

Other thoughts?

This could get interesting.

If George IV still dies as OTL, Charlotte I (or maybe "Augusta I") ascends the throne about when the Belgian revolt breaks out. This could trigger a number of butterflies. Prussia may be emboldened to intervene on King Willem's side (iirc the two kings are brothers in law) in the belief that the Prussian Prince-Consort will swing his wife against any British intervention, and that France won't intervene alone. OTOH, the Belgians may attempt to head off this threat by choosing a Hohenzollern (a Catholic Sigmaringen perhaps) as their king.

Then there's Denmark. Is it conceivable that Louise of Hesse-Kassel may be persuaded to marry a Hohenzollern instead of the future Christian IX? That scotches the Schleswig-Holstein business, since the King of Prussia won't rob a member of his own house, nor let anyone else do so.

Does the Crimean War still happen? If Britain and Prussia are closer, might we see a joint Anglo-Franco-Prussian ultimatum, forciing the Tsar to back down from war with Turkey?

Other thoughts?

She'll accede as Charlotte, I think. Charlotte was her first name and intended name as Queen. There was actually a row over Victoria; you see, her name was actually Alexandrina Victoria. When it was apperant that she would be Queen of England, it was declared impossible she have such a foreign name. They suggested Charlotte, but in the end Alexandrina was dropped and Victoria was kept. So she was.

There are a lot of butterflies from her marriage; small, but sturdy. Belgium is difficult as it's still in it's infant stage: Willem I hasn't used his Hollandic Arthimatic to push through his constitution. Indeed, Belgium may remain part of the southern Netherlands with a disinterested Britain, especially if Prussia and Austria become active, or Britain has a Tory Administration eager to maintain a barrier against France.

I can't say much about Denmark except that you can't rule out the Hereditary Princess Caroline she was senior to the mother of Louise of Hesse-Kassel and certain events lead a certain brother of George V to start wooing her... Louise could also end up a boy. Christian VIII may have more issue; a different Frederick may be born. Lots of interesting ways to go.

As for Crimea, only time will tell. Yes, Charlotte is married to a Hohenzollern Prince. But one must remember he isn't the King's son. He's his nephew, their nearest kingly relative to Frederick William II. Prince Friedrich is a romantic and may lean towards certain views, but I don't see him being a reactionary. as Prince Consort he may also do as Victoria did with Leopold: pushing him away as an adviser and taking control. Early on Charlotte and Friedrich too will have many influences, but it doesn't cement anything. She's Whiggish. He's Romantic and maybe a Tory. The Congress system will collapse, or rather in this TL, slowly decay, something will cause it to implode.

All I can say is expect a different succession in France in 1824; no rising in July, and a focus on bright young things. Monarchs who reign within the mid 1820s and early 1830s; mostly in western Europe...

Just remember, Charlotte marrying Prince Friedrich does not equal a Anglo-Prussian alliance. He's not a son of the King, he's just a minor nephew. The only pluses over Coburg are that he isn't penniless (Leopold had an allowance was £300 a year. Not really suitable material to woo an heiress), he's got royal blood, and he's got connections to the house through the House of Strelitz, rather than some unnamed fortune hunter from Saalfeld who refused to come to England when Charlotte begged. He was cautious. It worked, but Friedrich will be different.

Prussia and England will be close, but they weren't on bad terms anyways. Friedrich may encourage an interest. He was a romantic like his cousin Frederick William IV, so I can see him being not too liberal... but I can see him being a very moderate Whig. He'll definitely be somewhat supportive of the Tories though, which could influence Charlotte too if we see him schooling her.

Last edited:
All I can say is expect a different succession in France in 1824; no rising in July, and a focus on bright young things. Monarchs who reign within the mid 1820s and early 1830s; mostly in western Europe...

Not sure I follow about 1824. Charles X is the only brother of the childless Louis XVIII, so short of revolution is bound to inherit. There is of course the possibility that the assassination of his son, the Duc de Berri, may be butterflied away, but whether that changes events in 1830 I couldn't say.

Just remember, Charlotte marrying Prince Friedrich does not equal a Anglo-Prussian alliance. He's not a son of the King, he's just a minor nephew. The only pluses over Coburg are that he isn't penniless (Leopold had an allowance was £300 a year. Not really suitable material to woo an heiress), he's got royal blood, and he's got connections to the house through the House of Strelitz, rather than some unnamed fortune hunter from Saalfeld who refused to come to England when Charlotte begged. He was cautious. It worked, but Friedrich will be different.

Prussia and England will be close, but they weren't on bad terms anyways. Friedrich may encourage an interest. He was a romantic like his cousin Frederick William IV, so I can see him being too liberal... but I can see him being a very moderate Whig. He'll definitely be somewhat supportive of the Tories though, which could influence Charlotte too if we see him schooling her.

Though as I note on another thread, the link might get closer later.

If Friedrich and Charlotte have only one child, and that a girl, Friedrich may be anxious to "keep it in the family" by marrying the Princess to another Hohenzollern. If Charlotte agrees, they may settle on Albrecht, youngest son of FW3, and seemingly a safe distance from the Prussian throne. However, OTL the eldest son FW4 would die childless, while the next two, Wilhelm I and Karl, had only one son each, so a couple of butterflies could leave Britain with a king or Prince of Wales who was also the Prussian heir presumptive. No doubt there would be frantic attempts to avert a union of crowns, but they might fail, and even if they succeed the two kings might well be brothers.

Not sure I follow about 1824. Charles X is the only brother of the childless Louis XVIII, so short of revolution is bound to inherit. There is of course the possibility that the assassination of his son, the Duc de Berri, may be butterflied away, but whether that changes events in 1830 I couldn't say.

Yeah, Charles X was behind his brother, then came his two sons. Both were born in the 1770s, but could be conciliatory. Charles X dug his own grave; Angoulême probably would too as he supported his father. Berri, while conservative, was less highly thought of by the common people. The 1815 constitution is antiquated, so reform will be needed soon, by the Bourbons need not swept out. I'll leave it to later posts though. Just keep an eye out on up and coming heirs in the era; much as their great grandparents found enlightened absolutism en vogue, I may daresay these ladies and gentlemen will have other ideas.

Though as I note on another thread, the link might get closer later.

If Friedrich and Charlotte have only one child, and that a girl, Friedrich may be anxious to "keep it in the family" by marrying the Princess to another Hohenzollern. If Charlotte agrees, they may settle on Albrecht, youngest son of FW3, and seemingly a safe distance from the Prussian throne. However, OTL the eldest son FW4 would die childless, while the next two, Wilhelm I and Karl, had only one son each, so a couple of butterflies could leave Britain with a king or Prince of Wales who was also the Prussian heir presumptive. No doubt there would be frantic attempts to avert a union of crowns, but they might fail, and even if they succeed the two kings might well be brothers.

Of course, I'm not denying it couldn't lead to an alliance. The two courts were close in the period until the 1860s, actually. But I can assure there will be a good several children and a healthy male heir. It'd be an interesting swing, but like I said the focus on the TL is a surviving TL and her life, back dropped on politics and events in Europe. The Hohohenzollerns will have several child. Not like Victoria and Albert and certainly not like Victoria and Albert, but they'll have a surviving successor, without any Anglo-Prussian union. It'd be interesting, but not what my TL is about. I don't intend to wank or screw Prussia, merely that one of their own will be in a great position in England with a future King as a Hohenzollern too.

Last edited:
Hmm the tangle of persons and dynasties in Europe always leaves me in the dust, but that's okay. I am considerably impressed with how you can keep this all straight and keep them acting in character while making it an amusing read.

Politically I'll follow along as you please for the most part. Though I have a distinct soft spot for both Napoleon III and Republican France. Mostly I'm hoping that Charlotte can prevent the puritanism of the Victorian Era, and also that if a little Alexandrina Victoria is born, Charlotte can help her loosen up a bit. :)

charlotteandleopoldwedd.jpg

The Wedding of Charlotte and Prince Friedrich of Prussia. The Prince Regent refused to let the presses run wild in his daughter’s honor—the pair was married quietly at Carlton House in a simple ceremony. The King of Prussia was said of have grumbled, ‘You would’ve thought it a wedding of one of the servants, not of the future Queen of England!”

Chapter IV. Courtship Resumed; Engagement & Wedding
“I have not a clue what to think… I am beyond happy. The K. of Prussia has been invited for a formal visit and it has been extended to his nephew… father insists that is all for formalities and that only because of the great generosity that my father has spent helping ensure victory in Europe…. He only more than happy to receive the K. of Prussia as one of his allies in arms and also wishes to make the K. a Knight of the Order of G., and father seems to be in a good mood even considering to grant a medal in the Guelphic Order to the P. for his bravery. He insists this is merely a formal visit, and has nothing to do with my plans and desires, a fact he has made clear. But I am elated. My darling Prince is finally returning to me… and this time I hope time he shall stay, for he shall be my husband.”
- Excerpt from Charlotte’s Diary dealing with the proposed visit of the King of Prussia and Prince Friedrich In the autumn of 1815

Friedrich’s flirtations and loving letters to Charlotte, whom she happily named her beau throughout the summer of 1815, passed to her through the Duke of Kent as well as the Duke and Duchess of Cumberland. Ernst Augustus, charmed by Federica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz had been entranced by her and intent on marrying her—even if it outshined Charlotte. The pair were married firstly in Neustrelitz and secondly at Kew in August, when Charlotte was pushing hard for Frederick’s visit. Initially wary of her new aunt, influenced by the old queen who hated her niece, Charlotte quickly warmed to her and the feeling was mutual, no doubt doubly helped by the fact that they might soon be more than niece and aunt.

Meanwhile, the King of Prussia made his offer to the Prince Regent. The Regent could not hope to snub the King of Prussia, even if his ministers were busy in Vienna attempting to contain his ambitions in an alliance with Habsburg and Bourbon regarding the matter of Saxony. The letter came with an accompanying note from Vienna from the Lord Castlereagh inviting the Prince Friedrich to attend with his uncle in his visit to London. At this point the Prince Regent was certain of Charlotte’s intentions, and having finally shelved all hope of a match with the Dutch, finally agreed to size up his future son-in-law. A date was set for the king and his nephew to arrive in the autumn and to spend the season, as well as the winter and the Yuletide with the Prince Regent as well as the British Royal Family—and most especially Princess Charlotte. It was obviously a ploy to let the Prince Regent and his family size up their darling Charlotte’s possibly future husband but one that the King of Prussia readily bought.

In late August things were properly settled, and Friedrich Wilhelm III as well as Prince Friedrich began to prepare for their departure from France, finally decamping from the Élysée Palace which had been graciously lent to the King of Prussia by the Duchess of Bourbon upon the Second Restoration. When she heard of the possible nuptial fortunes of his nephew, she was more than grateful to oblige. Indeed, Prince Friedrich and his uncle were properly seen off by a final interview by the French Royal Family. While fat old Louis XVIII spoke of matters of little importance and great boredom, Prince Friedrich was playfully chided by the Duke of Berry who had no restraint in saying, “Future Queen of England? Pish! Check the bosom instead; if ample, you’ll be a happy man.” It was an undignified response, but one that even brought Prince Friedrich to a chuckle, to the great horror of the Duchess of Angoulême; there was little time to reflect in Berry’s statement, for the King of Prussia and his nephew were soon seen out, setting out from Paris to Calais, whence they would cross over to Britain with a landing at Dover.

The crossing over was smooth and the Prince Friedrich, the King of Prussia in tow, soon landed on September 3rd, whence they made their way to London where they were soon set up at Clarence House where the King of Prussia had been housed during his visit to Britain in 1814. Although Lord Castlereagh played a role in getting Prince Friedrich to London, he was still in Vienna and thus delegated to the Home Secretary, Lord Sidmouth. Lord Sidmouth wasted no time paying call to the king as well as his nephew, wishing to know of their future arrangements whilst in the country before taking his leave. This brief interview was soon placed into a dispatch that was sent to the Prince Regent at Brighton. Charlotte meanwhile, pined from Windsor where she had been summoned, writing notes to Miss Knight and dreaming of the day she would finally set eyes upon Friedrich again.

She wouldn’t have to wait long. The King of Prussia and Prince Friedrich spent their second day in the country receiving callers, the Archduke John of Austria as well as his brother Louis being one of the most prominent. Yet no royal could compare to the call of General Bloomfield, who brought with him an invitation for both uncle and nephew to visit the Prince Regent at Brighton. The next day, accompanied by Lord Sidmouth, the party set out for Brighton with it being made very clear that Prince Friedrich would be introduced to Princess Charlotte at the Pavillion. Despite the court holding secrecy surrounding the possible match, it was slowly oozing to out to the public and gossip was rife. His arrival at the Pavillion set the tone for the remainder of his time in England—he was taken in happily at the home of the Prince Regent, embraced by the royal circle not as a foreign suitor but rather as one of their own, a member of the family who had perhaps been estranged due to the circumstances of the war. His manners were admirable; he was a straight-forward man that had none of the flippancy attached to the dandies of his age. His frank manners and openness, strictly speaking, could do nothing but soon render him a favorite of the British nation.

At Brighton the Prince Regent had a brief interview with the King of Prussia before inviting Prince Friedrich alone into a much more intimate one. They chatted on a variety of matters, and whilst no courtier, Friedrich happily appealed the Prince Regent’s vanity and he seemed happily taken with the boy. He was no Prince of Orange, but he supposed he could do no worse. He saw him as someone could make his Charlotte quite happy. He had other reasons as well—he wished to avoid any more marital drama and wanted her married quickly and quietly, less those impertinent Whigs think Charlotte as heiress apparent.

It was on September 6th that the Queen, Princess Charlotte, as well as the Princesses Elizabeth and Mary left Windsor for Brighton, which they arrived in time for dinner. The meeting of Charlotte with Friedrich was like that of meeting a loved one after a long absence. Despite the restraints of protocol and the formality in the situation, the two hit it off as well as they had when they had first met. Charlotte was pleased, writing that night in her diary that ‘I find him charming; Even Grandmama seems happy and is pleased by dearest Fritz. I will go to bed the happiest I have ever yet done in my life… I am certainly a fortunate creature.’ Yet the royal visit was important in settling the approaching nuptials, with it agreed that they should be carried out as soon as the formal instruments could be prepared[1].

Charlotte left the Pavillion after a brief stay of six days, and Friedrich remained behind with the Prince Regent. The formalities of the marriage treaty including finding a suitable home for the couple, with a lease eventually being made on Camelford House in London; the Prince Regent broke the news of the engagement to Parliament on its reopening, September 24th. Financially, the Commons proved quite generous. They fixed the princesses dowry at £10,000 per annum, £50,000 for the pair jointly, followed by an annuity of £60,000 for jewels, plate, and furniture. Stingy as the Prince Regent had been with his own money, he was intent to see his daughter decked out in royal style—if it was being paid out of the public purse, of course.

The Regent also arranged to follow the precedent taken from his father’s sister, the late Duchess of Brunswick; there was to be no distinction with the Royal Family of Britain following Charlotte’s marriage. The liveries of her servants, for instance, were not to bear the arms of Britain, but rather those of Prussia. The Prince Regent engaged this arrangement as perhaps he wished to entertain hopes in the future of a son; he made it clear that Charlotte was merely heiress presumative, and she could be easily displaced. Yet given the fact that he was estranged from the Princess of Wales and could only hope to obtain a son through remarriage should Caroline predecease him or they be divorced, it amounted to nothing more than a snub to make his position clear. Even in marriage, Charlotte’s position was not tantamount.

There was a further furor when on October 2nd a bill was introduced regarding the naturalization of Prince Friedrich as a British subject. Upon his naturalization, there was some talk of bestowing upon him a peerage as so to give him a seat in the House of Lords and to provide a title for the Princess Charlotte through her husband. Kendal was suggested, to the great personal disgust of Friedrich, given that the peerage had been last held by George I’s German mistress. It was considered an unsuitable gift and one that was personally spat upon by Friedrich, who wrote in his own journals: “Kendal! Ach! Speak no more to me of that damned Kendal, I’ll have nothing of it! A Prince of Prussia is superior to any British Duke, except of the blood royal. I am above everything else and especially that damned House they call of Lords—I want nothing to do with it.” In the end, the matter was dropped; Friedrich himself already possessed the rank of royal highness and Charlotte would continue to hold that rank after they wed. The issue regarding the Peerage of Kendal was dropped and it was decided that Friedrich would continued to be known as a Prinz von Preußen, or Prince of Prussia; Charlotte would merely take his style—one reason the marriage was popular was because Charlotte and Friedrich were equals and Charlotte would not find herself marrying a man who was of an inferior style to herself, the granddaughter of a king.

During the period of the engagement, the Prince Regent was keen to avoid any fiasco like that with the Prince of Orange. He limited the contact that the pair had, although clandestine notes continued to be passed between the two primarily by Duchess of Cumberland. Friedrich remained at Brighton, days passed in his study of the English language, along with the customs, laws, history, and manners of the country. Despite great practice, Friedrich did have some issue in regards to English pronunciation, often taking to his journal to vent. Although he had fought in the wars, he was still a prince and thus his English ‘regimen’ was somewhat hardening to him, although he brought with him great knowledge of Germany and especially the political constitutions within the region—somewhat worrying to the Whigs, who saw him as a potential Tory. He was well versed in aristocratic governance, of enlightened despotism where the monarch held sway. In many ways, Britain’s government was queer and later journals of Friedrich remarked: “Damn Parliament—I confess I loved it when it gave me so much money, but now I hate it with all its arguments and petty threats. Certainly Charlotte could handle all this business?” The British constitution did not inspire Friedrich in the least, but merely befuddled him even more so.

Friedrich also saw little of Charlotte; although she was invited to Brighton, the Prince Regent was keen that they not see each other too much, allowing them to meet only at dinner, with clandestine letters to sustain them. In poor English, the prince wrote to Charlotte that “I have finally learned of the word love, and that I love you so.” They were charming notes, but the duo were anxious to be suitably wed, A date was finally set for November 9th. Charlotte dreamed of a grand wedding at a great location attended by many notables. She was very disappointed. Always keen to have the spotlight, the Prince Regent saw that they wed at Carlton House in relative privacy. Whilst Charlotte was decked in a dress costing nearly £10,000, manufactured in Britain with Devonshire lace with pieces from Brussels, it was a soft, private ceremony, with the pair being married in the drawing room. Charlotte was stated to giggle when Friedrich promised Charlotte all of his worldly goods, quipping if she might have Schönhausen, but was quickly silenced. The pair was now happily married, and Charlotte had her match.

The two would now have their honeymoon; it was nearly interrupted with Queen Charlotte being aghast that the couple be allowed to travel by coach, at night, by themselves, but eventually she was won over. They soon set out for the Oatlands Palace, where they would honeymoon with the Duke and Duchess of York.

[1]Parliament was prorogued July 11th in 1815 and did not resume until Feburary; with the impending visit of Friedrich, the session is opened in September given the need for Parliamentary discussion regarding his naturalization and an annuity for the couple.

Last edited:
Hmm the tangle of persons and dynasties in Europe always leaves me in the dust, but that's okay. I am considerably impressed with how you can keep this all straight and keep them acting in character while making it an amusing read.

Politically I'll follow along as you please for the most part. Though I have a distinct soft spot for both Napoleon III and Republican France. Mostly I'm hoping that Charlotte can prevent the puritanism of the Victorian Era, and also that if a little Alexandrina Victoria is born, Charlotte can help her loosen up a bit. :)

Thank you, kind sir. Your compliments mean so much. :) I'm glad you're enjoying it.

In the long run we may see the Bourbons continue in France--that's the plan, at least... but I'm not completely sure yet. But there will definately be no puritanism, if anything Charlotte's reign shall be very much proto-Hannoverianism. Leopold calmed her; Friedrich... well, we'll see. I hope he doesn't. :D