Europe's Hope & Britain's Glory - A Georgian Alternate History

That'd be cool and considering Portugal didn't end up as damaged as Spain did IOTL, perhaps it's be very benefitial, though I doubt Britian would like a natural ally to be eaten up by a traditional French ally.
Good point. But if they unite as a Republic throwing out the Borbon Spaniards, how much of a French ally are they? And how does Britain's relations with the Brazilian Portuguese figure into a future split?

Last edited:
"Iberism" was always a fringe movement in Portugal and even in Spain itself. The Portuguese pretty much built their national identity by declaring themselves as "not-Spanish". There is no way that such union would be politically accepted, and even if it were such union would probably be destroyed in the first crisis between Lisbon and Madrid's interests.

"Iberism" was always a fringe movement in Portugal and even in Spain itself. The Portuguese pretty much built their national identity by declaring themselves as "not-Spanish". There is no way that such union would be politically accepted, and even if it were such union would probably be destroyed in the first crisis between Lisbon and Madrid's interests.

Especially after their really bad experience at being ruled from Madrid.

I don't think there was much of a Portuguese republican movement at this point; they hadn't suffered as terribly as the Spanish had during the Napoleonic Wars, so their liberal movement was still very much enlightenment oriented at curbing the powers of the king and introducing constitutional rule. Even in Spain, I think the Republicans remained a fringe movement and it was mostly those who wanted to do away with absolutism and restore the Constitution of 1812.

At this point, the Portuguese want the restoration of pre-Napoleonic rule, with Brazil effectively demoted to a colony. But It's a little late to turn back the clock and will definitely promote issues... they want their king and Cortes back, essentially. Even just the king is fine, many might even tolerate pre-war absolutism if he'd just come home, so to speak. The English military governor is awful and they want the British out, nice allies as they've made over the years. Brazil can go back to as it was.

You'd think the liberal movements would work together, but they are rather splintered. 1815 is the time of reaction, and the Congress System has firmly restablished crown and altar absolutism on the continent, or at least tried. France's constitution is a laughing stock and England has always been an aberration to the rule. One also can't forget that countries that quickly stray from this norm typically find themselves under the foreign bayonet and the true system restored. It hasn't been tested yet, but the Great Powers (minus Britain) had no qualms invading sovereign nations to squash rebellious movements (see: Naples in 1820; Spain in 1823; even as late as 1830, Austria had intervened with Italy, and in 1848 Russia in Hungary, although by 1830 the Congress system was dead).

Don't worry, Europe's Hope is not dead! I'm simply doing some work on Prince of Peace ATM. I'll be returning to this TL shortly.

Great timeline in a neglected portion of history. Subscribed with just a couple of comments

He attacked her for having not only entertained Prince Friedrich of Prussia in private, but others too, such as the well-known debauché, Prince Paul of Württemberg. .

Prince Paul of Wuttemburg who would create a line of descendants with a Parisian actress leading to the modern British political Johnsons.

Charlotte was stated to giggle when Friedrich promised Charlotte all of his worldly goods, quipping if she might have Schönhausen, but was quickly silenced.
I don't understand this reference
The royal family was far more popular in Brazil, he had more freedom, and he thus remained unwilling to return to Europe. So Portugal remained under British military rule and was effectively a Brazilian colony.

Is this as OTL?

Last edited:
Prince Paul of Wuttemburg who would create a line of descendants with a Parisian actress leading to the modern British political Johnsons.

Interesting, but rather irrelevant to the story, IMO.

I don't understand this reference

Taken from OTL; Charlotte giggled at her wedding when Leopold promised to endow her with his world goods. He was a penniless Prince at that time worth £300 per ammum. Obviously, he didn't have many worldly goods to give her! Same goes for Fritz; he's not poor like Leopold, but not super wealthy, either. Schönhausen is the Berlin Palais of his branch of the family.

Is this as OTL?

Yes; Charlotte's survival really isn't enough to effect things in South America. While the Braganzas frittered away their time in Brazil, Portugal was under a British military governor who was quite harsh.

Last edited:
Interesting, but rather irrelevant to the story, IMO.

Taken from OTL; Charlotte giggled at her wedding when Leopold promised to endow her with his world goods. He was a penniless Prince at that time worth £300 per ammi,. Obviously, he didn't have much world goods to give her! Same goes for Fritz; he's not poor like Leopold, but not super wealthy, either. Schönhausen is the Berlin Palais of his family.

Yes; Charlotte's survival really isn't enough to effect things in South America. While the Braganzas frittered away their time in Brazil, Portugal was under a British military governor who was quite harsh.

Thanks for replying. Regarding the Wuttemburgs, I just wondered if you know that bit of trivia.

Mothra's flaps in North America in Europe's Hope & Britain's Glory

Is the War Of 1812 still plays out as OTL or has there been some seemly inconsequential changes that will effect the future of this timeline favouring the UK or the USA get more bigger military or territory grabs? As for Freddy's & Charlotte's sex life, we wonder if the less prudish gossip will be banter about their first time together in their honeymoon by the help or by voyeurs of him being forceful and her being submissive or vice versa, the act done at their bedroom or somewhere else(hint, hint) and with or without the usual couture. Of course, this is a reasonable mature forum or else we be experiencing titillating typed passages in other threads. But in this timeline, don't so surprised that a R-rated or NC-17 film or 1890s erotic novel about them exist without censor of the Victorian.;)

Subscribed!

I wonder what the effect is of these events on the Belgian Revolution now the King of Belgians isn't related to the British Royal Family.