Elizabeth the Queen and her Brood

1) Catherine's practising Catholicism was probably tied to her time at the French court. Her mother AFAIK was Catholic, Protestant, then Catholic and Protestant again, dying a convinced Calvinist reportedly. Religiously, Jeanne III is said to be much like OTL Elizabeth I, no one was quite sure what SHE was.

Also, Henri IV was prisoner at the French court for 3 years following St-Barthélemy. In that time he became Catholic to save his hide, but abjured it as soon as he was back on Navarrese soil.

2)Also, why is Élisabeth de Valois marrying D. Sebastiao when Margot (OTL Queen of Navarre) was offered. Margot is still a spinster here - and a rather desperate one too, marrying Jasper.

3) And lastly, if the TTL queen of Navarre is anywhere near as witty as her maternal grandma was, can she pass Gabrielle d'Estrées' comment about Henri stinking so bad that if he wasn't the king, no one would go near him?:D

1) That makes sense. Thanks :)

2) Well, Margaret de Valois is of less value than Elisabeth due to being the King's sister and not his daughter, and her age means that she has less time to provide many children to Sebastian. Also, she is fast approaching 30 and this means she isn't a great fit for a the wife of a King who wants heirs.

3) Sorry, Elizabeth Aviz is not very witty, just sincere and moody. But Princess Margaret of Scotland, now she is very witty and very blunt. ;)

1580: Edward VII of England is greeted by happy news from his wife when Queen Victoria announces a new pregnancy. The Queen is very happy; she has wanted a baby after the death of Princess Elizabeth. This then ends with a baby boy who is named George and a baby girl named Margaret, who becomes the shining light of Queen Victoria’s eye. This is fine until, two months later, as the Queen prepares to end her confinement she dies. While some suspect poisoning, many simply realise that she was always a weak, sickly girl and the twins must have been a final blow of sorts to the Queen.

But that isn’t the only royal pregnancy story that is noted. Prince Jasper, the court’s 16 year old heartthrob, still there from the Christmas celebrations (Edward can’t really deny him a place in court when 7 year old Cecily never leaves) gets Lady Grace Howard pregnant. As a relative of the Duke of Norfolk the Howards as a whole act as if this disgraces the entirety of the family while the King simply goes ‘boys will be boys’. But Prince Jasper is an honourable sort of boy, and when the news of Lady Grace’s pregnancy comes out he promptly marries her and then tells the King. The King then refuses to go to the christening of little Lord John. Edward is not happy, so Jasper, Grace and John leave for the country, where they can play family until Edward likes them again. But Edward is now angry, and has a temper that almost matches his mother’s famed fury.

But this is just one of the things that happen in England. Another is that little princess Catherine dies. A favoured child of her father, the King goes into a deep depression, having lost his Queen and Favourite princess. The only one who can see him is Princess Cecily, who encourages him to deal with these problems by putting his energies into something he enjoys, money. So the court, which had been slowly becoming more opulent and comfortable, became the most frugal in all of Europe. He taxed his courtiers for almost everything that they made him pay in palace upkeep. Even his mistress wasn’t spared, having to sell her jewels to stay at court for a while until Edward had her move into his apartments to cut down the cost of her living at court.

In Scotland, Prince Thomas and King Consort Robert begin their regency and surprise everyone by being more competent than the Queen. While this is good for the country and the future at large, it is a massive pain to the ears of Mary Stuart, who believed that the country should do best under the rightful monarch, not the consorts. But she was already in France, and she didn’t really want to leave.

Other than that, there was also the death of Princess Antoinette, who fell down a flight of stairs and broke her neck. While some rumoured that her ‘jealous’ sister Matilda, who was seen with her sister and was known to argue regularly, it was generally seen as an unfortunate accident that occurred due to the negligence of the maid in charge of them at that time (the maid was fired).

In France, there was celebrations and sadness when Sigismund III of Poland and Mary I of Scotland both arrived within two days of each other. While the Scottish Queen arrived with much celebration, more like a homecoming than anything else, the Polish Monarch was very sad and went immediately to his sister’s bedside, not leaving for a week. When her eventually did leave, he spent time with his niece and nephew, saying that he would be proud to have them as children of his own. But the most surprising thing that happened was he began to spend time with Margaret de Valois, saying that:

“This French Princess is all but perfect.”

Seeing a chance to do his sister well, King Henri offered to wed his sister to the King right there in France, adding that a dowry could be argued later. The King of Poland proved susceptible, seemingly falling for the French Princess and, in an act of love that many thought he was incapable of when not related to his sisters, he married the French Princess without a definite dowry. But this happiness was dowsed when Queen Barbara died, leaving her sister Maria a wreck and the King barely holding on with Margaret.

In Navarre, Queen Elizabeth died giving birth to twin boys, named John and Henri. A blow to King Henri III of Navarre, he immediately looked for a mother for his children, hoping to fill the hole that Elizabeth had left with a new woman. He sent word to Spain and requested the hand of either Princess Isabella of Princess Catarina Maria, to which he was answered with a ‘sure’. The negotiations began, with the two well-loved princesses excited that one may be a Queen soon.

In Spain, King Phillip is out riding when he is attacked by bandits, who steal very little but manage to break his arm and both leg when the horse throws him off during the attack. While he feels that he won’t die any time soon, the country makes ready for regency for Phillip: Prince of Asturias, who is a very carefree type of character who doesn’t look forward to ruling such a huge empire. But Phillip seems to recover, and in all the hullaballoo many seem shocked when the Queen becomes pregnant. But she does and gives birth to a small girl named Manuela.

While all this is going on, Princess Anne gives birth to a son, who is named Phillip Ferdinand and becomes beloved by the King in his weakened state. The only person who doesn’t seem impressed by the red-haired, brown-eyed babe is Phillip: Prince of Asturias. He can’t understand why everyone is falling over themselves for the baby who might not even live to Christmas and can’t even talk. Give him an adult over a baby anytime, thank you very much.
In Portugal, Queen Elisabeth (called Isabella by the court) is surprised to find that she is pregnant, when she has only shared her husband’s bed three times since their marriage. But she sees this as god shining down on their union and excitedly announces to King Sebastian while at court. The King is not thrilled, stating that:

“I loved João and Luisa so much, how can I share that love with another babe.”

Not caring about her husband’s dour mood, Queen Elisabeth begins to prepare for the birth of ‘her little Edward’ as she calls her unborn baby, having decided on a name the moment she found out she was pregnant. This all goes smoothly and the baby boy is born and, of course, named Edward. The Queen has fun dressing him and, when the King gives the ok, is allowed to breastfeed her son. While not exactly love, there relationship gets better due to that.

The Children of Elizabeth I of England (b.1533 d.1577)
a- Edward: 5th Duke of Guimarães (b.1541: d.1575)

1a-Edward VII of England (b.1557)

2a-Henry Aviz: Duke of York (b.1559: d.1564)

3a-Elizabeth Aviz: Princess Royale (b.1559)

4a-Mary Aviz: Princess of England (b.1560: d.1577)

5a-Thomas Aviz: Duke of Somerset then Duke of York then Duke of Pembroke (Dukedom of York given to crown after marriage to Catherine de Valois: Crown Princess of Scotland in exchange for the Dukedom of Pembroke) (b.1562)

6a-Jasper Aviz: Duke of Gloucester (b.1564)

7a-Edmund Aviz: Duke of Buckingham (b.1564: d.1564)

8a-Anne Aviz: Princess of England (b.1566)

9a-Richard Aviz: Duke of Buckingham (b.1567: d.1567)

10a-Margaret Aviz: Princess of England (b.1567: d.1570)

11a-Arthur Avis: Duke of Somerset (b. 1569)

12a-John Avis: Duke of Suffolk (b.1569: d.1570)

13a-Unnamed baby boy (b.1570: d.1570)

14a-Unnamed baby girl (b.1571: d.1571)

15a-Cecily Aviz: Princess of England (b.1573)

The Children of Edward VII of England (b.1557)
a- Victoria de Valois (b.1556: d. 1580)

1a-Henry Aviz: Prince of Wales (b.1572)

2-Lady Isabelle Aviz (b.1574) *illegitimate

3a-Edward Aviz: Duke of York (b.1575)

4a-Catherine Aviz: Princess of England (b.1575: d.1580)

5a-Elizabeth Aviz: Princess of England (b.1578: d.1578)

6-Lord William Aviz (b.1578) *illegitimate

7a-Margaret Aviz: Princess of England (b.1580)

8a-George Aviz: Duke of Suffolk (b.1580)

The Children of Jasper: Duke of Gloucester (b.1564)
a- Lady Grace Howard (b.1561)

1a- Lord John Aviz (b.1580)

The Children of Mary I of Scotland (b.1542)
a- Francis II of France (b.1544: d.1560)
b- Charles XI of France (b.1550: d.1663)
c- Robert Dudley of England (b.1532)

1a-Catherine de Valois: Crown Princess of Scotland (b.1563)

2c-Margaret Dudley: Princess of Scotland (b.1572)

3c-John Dudley: Crown Prince of Scotland (b.1573: d.1573)

4c-Matilda: Princess of Scotland (b.1575)

5c-James Dudley: Crown Prince of Scotland (b.1576: d.1576)

6c-Antoinette Dudley: Princess of Scotland (b.1578: d.1580)

The Children of Catherine de Valois: Crown Princess of Scotland (b.1563)
a- Thomas of England (b.1562)

1a-Blanche Aviz: Princess of Scotland (b.1576)

2a-Charles Aviz: Prince of Scotland (b.1578)

3a-Philippa Aviz: Princess of Scotland (b.1578)

The Children of Robert Dudley: King Consort of Scotland (b.1532)
a- Mary I of Scotland (b.1542)

1a-Margaret Dudley: Princess of Scotland (b.1572: d.1580)

2a-John Dudley: Crown Prince of Scotland (b.1573: d.1573)

3a-Matilda Dudley: Princess of Scotland (b.1575)

4a-James Dudley: Crown Prince of Scotland (b.1576: d.1576)

5-Mathew Dudley (b.1576) *illegitimate

6-William Dudley (b.1576) *illegitimate

7a-Antoinette Dudley: Princess of Scotland (b.1578)

The Children of Henry III of Navarre (b.1553)
a- Elizabeth of England (b.1559)

1a-Antoine de Bourbon: Crown Prince of Navarre (b.1575)

2a-Charlotte de Bourbon: Princess of Navarre (b.1577)

3a-John de Bourbon: Prince of Navarre (b.1580)

4a-Henri de Bourbon: Prince of Navarre (b.1580)

The Children of Henry III of France (b.1551)
a- Anna of Austria (b.1549: d.1570)
b- Barbara of Portugal (b.1556)

1a-Elisabeth de Valois (b.1567)

2a-Francis de Valois: Dauphin of France (b.1570)

3b-Joan de Valois (b.1575)

4b-Henri Roland de Valois: Duke of Orleans (b.1577)

The Children of Phillip II of Spain (b.1527)
a- Maria Manuela of Portugal (b.1527: d. 1545)
b- Mary I of England (b.1516: d.1558)
c- Catarina of Guimarães (b.1540: d.1572)
d- Catherine de Bourbon (b.1559)

1a-Carlos: Prince of Asturias (b. 1545)

2b-Phillip I of England (b.1559: d.1559)

3c-Isabella: Princess of Spain (b.1568)

4c-Juana: Princess of Spain (b.1571)

5- Luis Rivera (b.1576) *illegitimate

6d-Maria Luisa: Princess of Spain (b.1578)

7b-Manuela: Princess of Spain (b.1580)

The Children of Carlos: Prince of Asturias (b. 1545: d.1578)
a- Claude de Valois (b. 1547: d.1577)

1a-Phillip: Prince of Asturias (b.1565)

2a-Catherine Marie (also known as Catarina Maria): Princess of Spain (b.1568)

3a-Henri: Prince of Spain (b.1570: d.1570)

4a-Claudia Marianna: Princess of Spain (b.1573)

5a-Manuela Lopez (b.1576) *illegitimate

6a-John: Prince of Spain (b.1576)

The Children of Phillip: Prince of Asturias (b.1565)
a- Anne of England (b.1566)

1a- Phillip Ferdinand: Prince of Spain (b.1580)

The Children of Sebastian I of Portugal (b.1554)
a- Mary of England (b.1560: d.1577)
b- Elisabeth de Valois (b.1567)

1a-João Manuel Aviz: Infante of Portugal (b.1576)

2a-Luisa Maria Aviz: Infanta of Portugal (b.1576)

3b-Edward Aviz: Infante of Portugal (b.1580)

I definitely don't want to spoil the timeline of anyone here and I hope that my comment won't be taken as bold and rude, but I must say that although at first I found TTL quite interesting, I'm perceiving that it is so much concerned about marriages that it is overlapping the historical and political background of the time, not to mention the randomness of certain matches.

I'm not saying that your timeline must necessarily be worried about the politics as the main point of it, after all I really do appreciate all this genealogy-wank when thinking about the royalty of the time, but matches like the one between Catherine of Bourbon-Navarre and a Spanish prince or Elizabeth I's attempt to set England halfway between linked and unattached to Rome seemed unrealistic.

But don't worry, it's totally normal to forget little things here and there, but research and Plausability Checks will always me available to help you in the timeline ;)

I definitely don't want to spoil the timeline of anyone here and I hope that my comment won't be taken as bold and rude, but I must say that although at first I found TTL quite interesting, I'm perceiving that it is so much concerned about marriages that it is overlapping the historical and political background of the time, not to mention the randomness of certain matches.

I'm not saying that your timeline must necessarily be worried about the politics as the main point of it, after all I really do appreciate all this genealogy-wank when thinking about the royalty of the time, but matches like the one between Catherine of Bourbon-Navarre and a Spanish prince or Elizabeth I's attempt to set England halfway between linked and unattached to Rome seemed unrealistic.

But don't worry, it's totally normal to forget little things here and there, but research and Plausability Checks will always me available to help you in the timeline ;)

Hey :)

Thank you for your comment. First I want to say that I don't find your comment rude or nasty, you haven't said anything I find mean. So there's that. And on the marriage thing, that is generally what I know, but the end of that sentence kind of confused me as to your meaning (part in bold) and wonder if you might explain further.

Secondly, yes, I am more focused on creating a more genealogical wank at this point, but there will be a big political based event coming which will make a war happen and other interesting things. The marriages are doing more than helping the royals breed with less 'incest-kinda', they are adding some very important ties, both alliance wise and inheritance wise.

And quickly, Elizabeth was never halfway linked to Rome, England was Catholic. Elizabeth I, in this timeline, merely regulates the religion and doesn't overly involve the Pope in trivial matters that other monarchs sometimes do. It is pretty much what happens in France, but with more symbolic power to the King/Queen. And also no major prosecution of Protestants.

And thank you for your offer, I was going to ask people to help me later, when I get to the ... thing.

How are the colonies faring?

In the Americas there is very little really, just people trying to create a livable society. They have found some gold but it isn't the most profitable venture at the moment. They will grow over time though, and eventually there will be a fun interesting moment there.

In New England (OTL's Australia) there is general growth, but that is covered in the next update, so I wont spoil to much.

Hey :)
Thank you for your comment. First I want to say that I don't find your comment rude or nasty, you haven't said anything I find mean. So there's that. And on the marriage thing, that is generally what I know, but the end of that sentence kind of confused me as to your meaning (part in bold) and wonder if you might explain further.

What I meant was basically that some matches you created for the royalty seemed unlikely given the political circumstances of the time, just as the aforementioned match between the Navarrese protestant princess Catherine to the stauntch Catholic Madrid. Obviously, when it comes to imagination everything is possible. However it is always better to make it credible, don't you think?

Your initiative of creating genealogical trees less inbreed is very commendable. After all, IOTL it potentially ruined dinasties like the Spanish Habsburgs.

Any time you need help for ideas don't hesitate in asking the other people around :)