Elizabeth the Queen and her Brood

Also, wouldn't Mary's son reign under the regency (of Elizabeth?) for the week or so he lived longer than his mother? Shorter reign than Lady Jane!

Yes, but that would not really be noted as the child died to quickly for anything to be put into affect.

1561: Jeanne d'Albret: Queen of Navarre visits England in hopes of gaining an alliance to offset the pushiness of France (read: Catherine de Medici). While Elizabeth is wary of upsetting the Habsburgs and the Valois’ by allying her country with the outwardly Protestant Jeanne, she does like the idea that Navarre wouldn’t fall into French hands. So she began to broker a marriage between Edward: Prince of Wales and Catherine de Navarre, as well as a possible marriage between Henry of Navarre and Princess Elizabeth Tudor.

In Spain, Phillip II of Spain finally worked out the marriage contracts between Spain and France. Both he and his son would marry French princesses, with Phillip marrying Elizabeth de Valois and Carlos marrying Claude de Valois. In the contracts it stipulated that no child from either union could claim the French throne. But between the two princesses the dowry was spectacular. The main element that caught Philip’s eye was the rights to Milan, which would finally end wars between the two countries.

In France, the 11 year old King was brought in for the marriage ceremony between himself and the Queen of Scots. While many laughed at the significant age difference between the couple, the smug Dowager Queen smiled to herself. She now had a much better chance for Scottish domination. Charles IX was much stronger and healthier than his brother and many were confident that he would be able to ‘perform’ in a few years, if not sooner. The King was happy; he had a ‘beautiful and buxom’ wife. Mary Stuart, however, was humiliated. Her husband was a child and her part in this was nothing more than a breeding mare. She wanted to leave France now, but with a husband and her mother in law she really had no chance. So she spent as much time as she could with her ladies and pretended that everything would be better soon.

Interesting premise, I read a lot on Mary and Elizabeth as a child. I think Elizabeth was more shrew than you give her credit for, and if Mary manages to marry her to a Catholic and give birth to what I presume are Catholic babies, she shouldn't feel too threatened by her sister.

Also, what is the protocol for Mary to order her sister home? She's the wife of a foreign prince now, they must be particularly close and I'm sure it would have been less than force.

Would Elizabeth really name her own daughter Elizabeth? If not after her mother-in-law, perhaps after her sister Mary for "points"?

It's perhaps because it was a different period, but James II issued summons to the future queens Mary and Anne to attend Mary of Modena both at the birth of the Old Pretender and La Consolatrice. Naturally neither was present - probably in the former case that they could claim the warming pan story with a clear conscience.

1562: Elizabeth I announces a pregnancy again, to the excitement of the people. One person notes that the Queen seems to hate this particular pregnancy, seemingly itching to do a tour of the kingdom but hampered by the seemingly constant string of pregnancies. But Duke Edward is ecstatic, looking forward to another child to spoil. Noted by prolific court historian Mary Smithton, a former nun that had offered her services to Queen Mary then Queen Elizabeth, there was a strange relationship between Edward and Elizabeth:

“She rules him with a strength that most men would hate, but he owns her. While some would whine and squirm under the thumb of a woman of this power, he handles her with compliments and kind words. Some see him as the saddest man in the world, but he has power like no other.”

The queen finally has her child, a full month after the original predicted date. The child was a pretty, red-haired boy again, strengthening her position further than before. He was named Thomas for his grandfather.

In France, Charles IX announces his intentions to consummate his marriage by his birthday. While Queen Dowager Catherine is fine with this, hoping for a grandchild NOW, Mary Stuart is furious. The little brat, a child who she used to tease for his height, was daring to say things like:

“The Scottish Queen shall be with a child be Christmas”

But Mary grit her teeth and bore the annoyance that the boy brought her, mentioning things like ‘small baby’ and ‘unsatisfying child’ to close friends. But it proved fruitful when, on Christmas Day, it was announced that the Queen of Scots was pregnant. The little King is quite smug, and even Mary is happy with her new state. This is happy news for the court, which was melancholy due to the loss of the two princesses to Spain.

On the two princesses, there was a sad moment for Spain when, upon arrival, it was discovered that Princess Elizabeth de Valois died on the journey. People were confused as to why the seemingly healthy princess died on this seemingly simple journey. But at any cause, this left poor Phillip II of Spain was left without a wife. So sad.

1563: Upon hearing that Phillip II now was without a bride, Elizabeth Tudor found it fitting to suggest her sister-in-law Infanta Maria of Guimarães, at the counsel of her husband. While not the most delicate handling of the situation, it proved a good choice as Phillip seemed immediately interested in the 25 year old Portuguese princess. But worried that her age would mean less chance of issue, he instead queried if her younger sister might be interested instead? So the negotiations began between Spain and Elizabeth on the girl’s behalf in the case of marriage between Phillip of Spain and Catarina of Guimarães.

In France, Mary Stuart of Scotland’s pregnancy was going well when, in late June, she went into labour as a sickness took the rest of the court. While no one knew why this was happening, Mary gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, named Catherine for her grandmother. When she came out of confinement in late July Mary of Scotland was shocked to find the curt very thinned out, with her husband, mother-in-law and youngest brother-in-law dead and the new King Henri III de Valois seemingly very alone. So she offers the child King the only thing she can, her friendship.

Last edited:
The Children of Elizabeth I of England

1-
Edward Aviz: Prince of Wales (b. 1557)

2- Henry Aviz: Duke of York (b.1559)

3- Elizabeth Aviz: Princess Royale (b.1559)

4- Mary Aviz: Princess of England (b.1560)

5- Thomas Aviz: Duke of Somerset (b.1562)

In France, Mary Stuart of Scotland’s pregnancy was going well when, in late June, she went into labour as a sickness took the rest of the court. While no one knew why this was happening, Mary gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, named Catherine for her grandmother. When she came out of confinement in late July Mary of Scotland was shocked to find the curt very thinned out, with her husband and mother-in-law dead and the new King Henri III de Valois seemingly very alone. So she offers the child King the only thing she can, her friendship.

I just hope Mary's not gonna decide to marry Henri now too. That would just be too creepy.

OTOH Catherine de Medicis was sort of like a bat, she carried a lot of bad genes - for instance her daughter Claude was said to have borne the brunt of it what with a club foot, scoliosis etc - but she herself didn't really seem to have bad health until the day well, she did (and died), AFAIK. Also, Henri is not alone, his younger brother, Alençon is still alive (unless I missed something).

I just hope Mary's not gonna decide to marry Henri now too. That would just be too creepy.

OTOH Catherine de Medicis was sort of like a bat, she carried a lot of bad genes - for instance her daughter Claude was said to have borne the brunt of it what with a club foot, scoliosis etc - but she herself didn't really seem to have bad health until the day well, she did (and died), AFAIK. Also, Henri is not alone, his younger brother, Alençon is still alive (unless I missed something).

No, Mary will not go that far. Her daughter however, that might happen. ;)

Also, I forgot mention Alençon's death as well. I'll update the post to make this make sense :)

Well, the original plan for the possible marriage of Elizabeth, Queen of England booted around the future marriage of the prince of Wales and/or her eldest daughter to the dauphin and/or Madame Royal (children of Mary, Queen of Scots and King François II). So Mary might be more interested in marrying Catherine to Edward.

Well, the original plan for the possible marriage of Elizabeth, Queen of England booted around the future marriage of the prince of Wales and/or her eldest daughter to the dauphin and/or Madame Royal (children of Mary, Queen of Scots and King François II). So Mary might be more interested in marrying Catherine to Edward.

Maybe, you'll have to wait and see where this goes ;)

1564: Elizabeth Tudor begins the year by announcing that she is going on a progress. After years of pregnancies and other setbacks, she has finally had enough and now travels her country in search of the peoples love. And she gets exactly what she wants. The public loves their pretty and kind Queen, who keeps the taxes low and the country peaceful. Having the time of her life, the Queen is shocked and ultimately annoyed to discover that she is pregnant again annoyed that she is to be hindered again; she returns to London and waits out her pregnancy.

The court is devastated when, after a seemingly mild case of the chills after a play in the snow the day before, Prince Henry dies of pneumonia. This is a shock to the Queen, Causing her to enter labour prematurely and give birth to twins in late November. Two boys, they are named Edmund and Jasper respectively. However, the younger of the twins by minutes, Edmund, dies shortly after birth. And like that, England lost two heirs.

In France, Mary Stuart begins to broach the subject of a marriage between either herself and King Henry or Princess Catherine and King Henry. But the young royal will have none of it. Refusing both offers, he instead pursued the Infanta Anna of Austria or her sister Elisabeth, but wanted to marry Anna more. New Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian is ecstatic at this possibility and refers to the young King as ‘my future son’.

In Spain, the marriage between Claude and Carlos proves fruitful when the young princess falls pregnant. While Phillip is… happy for his son, he also is worried by his increasing levels of ‘crazy’. Having immediately declaring that he was in love with his bride, he then proceeded to suggest that the King need not another wife, but he might stay married to his dead French bride. But this wasn’t an issue as now there was the possibility of an heir. But Claude’s due date wasn’t until March of the next year, so they would just have to wait.

The Children of Elizabeth I of England

1-
Edward Aviz: Prince of Wales (b. 1557)

2- Henry Aviz: Duke of York (b.1559: d.1564)

3- Elizabeth Aviz: Princess Royale (b.1559)

4- Mary Aviz: Princess of England (b.1560)

5- Thomas Aviz: Duke of Somerset (b.1562)

6- Jasper Aviz: Duke of Gloucester (b.1564)

7- Edmund Aviz: Duke of Buckingham (b.1564: d.1564)

1565: In England, an interesting proposition is sent to them from France. Marriage between the two countries is wanted, so they offer either Catherine de Valois: Heir Apparent to Scotland or Victoria de Valois: Princess of France as brides to the young Prince of Wales. Ever the politician, Elizabeth counter offers, suggesting Victoria marries Edward: Prince of Wales and Catherine marry Thomas: Duke of York. While this effectively is what was asked previously, Mary Stuart is furious that her child would not marry the King of England. But as her child is also a French Princess, it is up to King Henry to decide on the marriage between her and anyone outside France. At least, that is the King’s outlook. But at any rate, this is a delicate situation that might end well for the two countries.

In Spain, Claude de Valois gives birth to a seemingly healthy baby boy. Named Phillip for his grandfather, the child seems to have missed the birth defects of both his parents, closely resembling his French Grandfather but with the Habsburg colouring. The King is elated, calling the Princess ‘my saviour’ and the child ‘my miracle’. In fact, some parties say that it is almost like he fathered the child, not the child’s father.

In France, the negotiations for the marriage between the Holy Roman Emperor’s daughter Anna of Austria and the King of France end with the promise that Anna would be in France by Christmas. And this proved correct when, in late November, she arrived to marry the young King. It was planned that they would be wedded by March next year.

This looks interesting. I can't help but note the irony that the childless Elizabeth I is enjoying a fecund marriage in this timeline.

1566: In England, Queen Elizabeth announces a new pregnancy. This one, which is treated as a boring part of the Queen’s life by most, ends in July when a beautiful baby girl is born to Elizabeth. Named Anne for her grandmother (allegedly), she is called by her father:

“The palest and prettiest babe in existence.”

With another child in her menagerie of babies, Elizabeth now turns seriously to the marriage game for her children. While she is angling for a French Princess for her eldest son, she is also interested in other matches I other countries for her other children. Firstly, she offers her eldest daughter to Jeanne d’Albret for the Heir to Navarre, Henry de Bourbon. She then inquires if Princess Anne might be a suitable bride for the young Prince Phillip of Spain. Next, offers Princess Mary to Prince Sebastian of Portugal. This final offer is looked at quite closely by King John III, who has fond memories of both the Queen of England and her pretty children (though not Mary, who he has never seen). Other than those, she looks for rich brides for the Princes Thomas (if Mary Stuart proves too hard to convince) and Jasper.

In Spain, Phillip of Spain welcomed his new bride Catarina of Guimarães into Spain. He is happy to find her pretty and eager to please, but is annoyed that she seems to come with many letters from both England and Portugal in the hopes to secure alliances in the way of marriages. But either way, he has a young wife now; all he needs is a gaggle of children to carry on the Habsburg legacy.

In France, there is a stir in the court as the Queen is now pregnant. Anna of Austria is favoured by her husband, loved by the court and generally seen as a pleasant woman by all. Except by Mary of Scotland. As a Queen in her own right, she was the only woman who took precedence over the sweet Anna. And she drove that point home. But as a Queen, she also has responsibilities that she could no longer ignore. So, with a heavy heart, the Scottish Royal prepared to leave for Scotland. But before she left, she had a massive and explosive argument with the French King over the fate of Catherine de Valois. As the Heir Apparent of Scotland, there was a push for her to be brought up in the country while growing up. But at the same time, the young Princess was French born, the current Madame Royale. Mary ultimately won out, but left France on bad terms with the King of France. Bad move.

Just so everyone is aware, I strongly considered having Mary Stuart become the mistress of Henry III of France, but backed away from that idea at the last moment.

1567: In England, Queen Elizabeth announces a pregnancy. Coming quickly after Princess Anne, this time there is real danger from both the mother and child. During this time the Queen is coddled and pampered in an effort to keep both the mother and child alive, to no avail. In May, the Queen gives birth to a dead baby boy and a frail baby girl. Hurried to be baptised and bathed, the children are named Richard and Margaret. Though frail, the young baby Margaret holds on to life, becoming her mother project as she is fattened up and made healthy by any way necessary.

Other than this, England got a boom in the ‘New World’ when explorer James Welderson discovered a large land mass in the seas past Asia. Populated with strange natives, there was originally a plan to attempt to massacre the peoples of this place in an attempt to take over the land. However, it was decided that they would instead endeavour to connect to the tribal natives and possibly create an area that they could generate much capital for England. The place was named New England and a small group of Englishmen were left to start a small settlement to be entitled Welderstown.

At the same time a group of five hundred people were sent to the ‘New World’, named the Americas by many. Their mission was simple; create a viable town that would run without help of England. If this turned out well, there was a group of one thousand that was waiting for the go ahead to start colonising.

In Spain, Claude de Valois was again pregnant. This was warmly received by the royal family, who were happy that there was going to be many viable heirs for the future. This came in conjunction with the happy news that Queen Catarina was pregnant with her first child by the King. One person who was the most happy was Infanta Carlos, who surprisingly seemed to have been calmed by the presence of his son.

In France, Queen Anna provided the King with a child. A pretty girl, she was named Elisabeth for the King’s dead sister. But the birth of a girl was a disappointment to the King, who had wanted his firstborn to be a son to carry on the line. But, ever the optimist, the Queen remarked:

“She is but one of a future many, my lord. And isn’t she pretty?”

This statement would only prove partially true.

Finally, Scotland was a surprising stable mess. While there was obviously pressure on the Queen to remarry and provide Scotland with an heir, there was also no idea who she would marry. One person remarked that it was unfortunate that she couldn’t marry the 5th Earl of Lennox, Lord Darnley. He was married with three children (Henry b.1561, Mathew b. 1564 and James b.1566) by the lovely Lady Catherine Grey, at the suggestion of Queen Elizabeth of England. His words on the matter were:

“If they were married, the throne would have a stable man at the helm to help the poor Queen.”

But Darnley does have one thing to offer her, a younger brother. Unmarried, the twelve year-old is royal enough to marry a Queen (if you squint your eyes) and would come without the baggage a monarch would bring. But the Queen was adamant this time, no child husbands. Not after last time.

But Darnley does have one thing to offer her, a younger brother. Unmarried, the twelve year-old is royal enough to marry a Queen (if you squint your eyes)

That really amused me :D

keep up the good work, the rate Elizabeth is produce male kids shes going to run out of "correct" royal names :D

That really amused me :D

keep up the good work, the rate Elizabeth is produce male kids shes going to run out of "correct" royal names :D

I thought it would be amusing. ;)

Well, she's now heading towards forty, so there won't be many more children. But yeah, I'm struggling to think of good male names.