Drunk on Bourbon

A map of the world in 1703. Gray borders indicate states made up of more than one distinct polity. The color inside indicates the sovereign.

1703.PNG

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Glad to see you're continuing this and I like the new title. Agree however with whoever it was above who said the French wouldn't recognise the Act of Settlement: the Stuart pretenders were always insistent that they be recognised as King of England, Scotland, and Ireland, or not at all. Bonnie Prince Charlie once turned down a French army from Choiseul in 1759 because the French were only willing to commit to an Irish invasion and he had no interest in just being a Bourbon puppet on Ireland.

Valdemar II

Banned
No, Poland's... complicated.

Yes but in the medium term, I think they will look toward Sweden which give Sweden a decade to two, before a Polish-Russian alliance would be a risk.

The problem with that is that the Turks are stronger than the Danes and Swedes were in OTL and thus less fearful of the consequences of cutting off Russia's trade. The Baltic should still be the main priority. Also, keep in mind that the Russians still control Azov by this point.

Good point about Azov, I doubt Peter would have build St. Petersburg if he had a major point on the Baltic. But I could see Peter invest more in Azov. Of course while the Ottomans could cut Russia off, I doubt they would do so outside war, especially if it's mostly Italian mechants trading in Russia. No reason to alienate the Italians.

And there's another possibility, one that Peter considered in OTL: Russia becoming the conduit for Chinese and Indian goods into Europe, reviving the old trans-Eurasian trade routes, only to the north of the Ottoman Empire, with the Caspian and the Volga put to good use. Which would require conquering Central Asia and Persia. A Russia extending to the Kunlun and the Hindu Kush will be a world power without any need for a Baltic port.

That one would be quite interesting and fitting into Peters personality nicely. Of course a big problem of Russia was transportation, are Russia able to project powers so far or integrate these area into the Empire?

In any case, the desire to build a new capital is a Petrine idiosyncracy that will probably not pass on to his successors. They'll look at the war with Sweden and conclude that having the capital at a good distance from possible invaders is preferable.

Yes I agree but Peter still have two decades, and Moscow was rather badly placed for a Russian capital, you can say much about Peter, but St. Petersburg was genious, as adminstrative centre it wasn't worse placed, and as mercantile project it was quite important for the development of Russia. Of course with a focus on expansion into central Asia, maybe setting up capital at the Caspian Sea ro better project power into Central Asia and develop the mechantile tiers through toward the East.

No, the French made them give it up at Carlsbad.

Prussia had taken them before the POD and they're keeping them.

I figured there might've been more than Orange, Lingen and Moers and mentioned it just in case. (Didn't Frederick want to be made stadtholder somewhere?) If that was all there was to it then consider that part redundant.

Frederick might have had the delusion to become Dutch stadholder at one point, but that was irrelevant as the office of stadholder wasn't hereditairy. Anyway, I think the Oranfe inheritance was larger than just the (empty) title of prince of Orange, and Lingen and Moers, (although I am not certain what it exactly was). But the situation of Lingen and Moers is clear for me now.

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the situation, all I know about is Spanish Limburg, which passes to Prussia, and Limburg of the States, which stays Dutch. If those territories you mentioned were under Spanish rule at the start of the war then consider them among the Prussian gains, since I won't have them stay Spanish or pass to the Netherlands.

An earlier version of the treaty had the Prussians ceding their portion of the Gold Coast to the Dutch for Spanish Limburg, if you think it would work better I could restore it.

Well, the duchy of Limburg, like every part of the Holy Roman Empire, was complex. There was the duchy, which lies mostly in Belgium now*. Not part of Limburg were land van Valkenburg, Land van 's-Hertogenrade and the county of Dalhem. They mostly lie in what is now southern Dutch Limburg. They were collectively known as Overmaas, but officially not part of Limburg, but often considered sort of part of it. Part of it became part of the Dutch republic, part of it remained Spanish. I asked what happened to them, as they are not part of Limburg. You said they became Prussian, which makes sense (in a 18th century way, as the borders in that region were still extremely chaotic).

*But not in Belgian Limburg btw, but in the province of Liege.

Well James II is dead and his son is just 15, so the Stuart cause doesn't have as much pull at Versailles as it used to. If armed restoration does come it will be through Scotland or Ireland anyway. Louis XIV isn't actually renouncing anything, it's a magnanimous but empty gesture. He's already gone back on such a promise once in the past. Besides, Louis would be thinking that instilling a false sense of security among English opponents of the Stewarts could help a Tory electoral victory and thus provide an opening for peaceful restoration.

Last edited:

The French and Spanish are joined by Genoa and the Knights of Malta in bombarding Bougie.

The Russian rebels are defeated by Peter's new armies outside Tambov. Their uprising is largely suppressed by the end of the year.

The Netherlands realm of Leopold, former Duke of Lorraine, is recognized by the Emperor as the Archduchy of Lower Lorraine.

The last clashes with the Camisards take place in southern France.

The Imperial Diet, meeting in Spires, approves the electoral seat of Hanover.

Tsarevich Alexis marries Eleonore Charlotte, sister of Frederick III of Courland.

Ferdinand Charles of Gonzaga-Nevers, Duke of Mantua, Modena, Reggio, and Guastalla, moves his capital from Mantua to Modena and joins his possessions into the Duchy of Etruria.

The Antwerp Company is established by merchants in Lower Lorraine for the purpose of trading with the East Indies.

Luxembourg officially passes under French rule.

Charles, Duke of Berry, grandson of the French king, marries Louisa Maria Teresa Stuart, sister of James Stuart and heir presumptive to the English, Scottish and Irish crowns according to the Jacobites.

The Spanish establish Nueva Ceuta on West Falkland.

Charles XII marries Sophia Dorothea, daughter of the Hanoverian elector.

The secret Treaty of Naples is signed between France, Spain, Austria, Hungary, and Etruria, regulating dynastic affairs in Italy resulting from the coming marriage of the Hungarian king to Elisabeth Farnese. Should Duke Francis of Parma or his brother Anthony die childless, the duchy will pass to Elisabeth and her offspring (with the exception of the Pontine Islands in the Tyrrhenian Sea, which will be annexed by Spain). Anna Maria Luisa of Medici is recognized as 2nd in line for the throne of Tuscany. Should the Medici line be extinguished (a near certainty), the Farnese will succeed them as grand dukes; and should Elisabeth Farnese inherit Tuscany as she did Parma, she would have to make substantial territorial cessions to Spain (Siena) and Etruria (Pontremoli, Bagnone, Fivizzano, Pietrasanta, and Barga). The Habsburgs are now set to make gains in Italy, on one condition - that Anthony Farnese, a 29-year-old hedonist and convinced bachelor, not have any legitimate children.

The Tsar marries Dorothea Wilhelmina of Saxe-Zeitz, a niece of the King in Prussia and relative of the Elector of Saxony. Peter has grown very distrustful of Alexis and is considering his removal from the line of succession - children from a 2nd marriage would obviously make it easier to deny him the crown.

King Charles of Hungary marries Elisabeth Farnese.

Emperor Joseph marries Elizabeth Augusta Sophie, daughter of the Elector Palatine and his cousin.

Having little hope of ever retaking the Polish throne, Frederick Augustus of Saxony abandons Catholicism, which he had only adopted for the sake of that throne, and reverts to Lutheranism.

Last edited:

Bavaria demands from the 3 Leagues the cession of the dependencies of Valtellina, Chiavenna and Bormio, claiming them as part of the recently gained Duchy of Milan and threatening war. The Grisons appeal for aid to their ally, the Swiss, but the Catholic cantons vote against intervention. A territorial exchange is negotiated with Bavaria by which Valtellina and Bormio are surrendered in exchange for Tarasp. By controlling these territories, Bavaria now has a direct link between Lombardy and the Tyrol.

The Ottoman Empire declares war on Venice. Turkish forces invade the Morea by sea while laying siege to the Acrocorinth. Savoy, Tuscany, the Papal States, and the Knights of Malta send their navies to the aid of Venice.

The Province of Carolina is split at some undefined point between Charles Town and Cape Fear. The northern colony is named New Hanover (in honor of the Hanoverian succession) while the southern one retains the name of Carolina.

Venice and its allies defeat an Ottoman fleet near Corfu and prevent a landing on the island.

In response to a Turkish invasion of Dalmatia, Austria and Hungary go to war with Turkey.

The Ottomans begin the conquest of Montenegro.

The Venetians in the Acrocorinth surrender.

Tabarka, an island off the Tunisian coast under Genoese possession, is taken by the forces of Tunis, nominally a Turkish possession.

Habsburg troops under Eugene of Savoy lay siege to Temeschwar.

Swedish forces leave the Polish cities they were occupying.

Russia declares war on the Ottoman Empire.

The French establish Ft Bourgogne, named after Louis XIV's grandson, on Galveston Island.

The Russians besiege Perekop.

France, Spain, the Papal States, and Etruria form the Catholic Alliance. Its stated goal is to restore the Stuarts to the Scottish and Irish thrones, but Louis XIV hopes to enlarge it and use it as an instrument of European domination.

Construction begins on the town of Louisville on the Atchafalaya River. The capital of French Louisiana is moved here from Ft Maurepas.

Temeschwar falls.

Poland-Lithuania declares war on Turkey and lays siege to Khotin.

Duke Ferdinand Charles of Etruria dies childless. As agreed upon, the Prince of Conde succeeds him as Duke Louis I and cedes Charolais to the French.

At the Battle of Werschetz, Eugene of Savoy defeats the Turks but is killed by an artillery shell.

Last edited:
It looks like a general dogpile on the Ottoman Empire is in progress. I wonder if Sweden or France have the will to join in after the earlier war?

oh ah the reason why I made the name was due to the fact that I was listening to Russian Sailor's dance while registering to this sight.... I had no other ideas for a name:)

I AM NOT RUSSIAN!

Reading on their history though

How will russian relations with austria be with a stronger poland I think Russia and the other central european powers will want to clamp down on them especially if there isn't a liberum veto.

Valdemar II

Banned
It looks like a general dogpile on the Ottoman Empire is in progress. I wonder if Sweden or France have the will to join in after the earlier war?

While I don't know what Pervez has planned I doubt it, through i may still happen, neither France nor Sweden doesn't have any interest in restarting the wars. The Habsburgs has been quite weaken so they aren't a threat to the Bourbons at this point, and the more their interest are pushed into the Balkans the better for the Bourbons. Sweden has enough to do with dealing with the gains they have gotten and build up defenses for the next war.

How will russian relations with austria be with a stronger poland I think Russia and the other central european powers will want to clamp down on them especially if there isn't a liberum veto.

Russia and the Habsburg states (there's 2 of them now, remember) have common interests regarding Turkey. The Habsburgs obviously see a Wittelsbach Poland as a threat, the Russians are waiting and observing. Though Poland-Lithuania isn't that much stronger than OTL, just less war-ravaged.

Does anyone find the linking excessive?

Cattaro falls to the Ottomans.

The Spanish colony of Anunciacion is founded on Matagorda Bay in Texas.

The siege of Perekop is broken.

Queen Anne of England, Scotland and Ireland dies and is succeeded by Sophia of Hanover, mother of George, Elector of Hanover.

Peace is signed at Semlin under the mediation of France, England and the Netherlands.

The Treaty of Semlin

The Republic of Venice is the great loser of the war. It cedes to the Ottoman Empire the Morea, 2 of the Ionian Islands (Leucas and Cerigo, in exchange for the return of Cattaro), its last outposts on the Epirote coast (Butrinto and Parga), and all its Aegean possessions: Spinalonga, Souda, Gramvousa (3 small fortified islands north of Crete that it had retained after 1669), Tinos (one of the Cyclades) and Aegina (in the Saronic Gulf). The Dalmatian border remains unchanged.

Hungary obtains Bihac, Dubica, Turkish Syrmia, and the Temeschwar region (between the Maros to the north, the Theiss to the west, the Danube and Temesch to the south, and Transylvania to the east), of which the eastern 1/3 is added to Francis Rakoczi's domain; all the Hungarian gains are joined to the Military Frontier.

The Moldavian fortress of Khotin passes to Poland-Lithuania and the Russo-Crimean border is pushed to the Konka and Molochna Rivers. The peace with the Venetians, Hungarians and Poles is set to last for 30 years.

Tabarka is recognized as Ottoman (that is to say, Tunisian).

1713 (cont'd)

Bone in North Africa, the last Genoese possession outside of Italy after the loss of Tabarka 2 years earlier, is purchased by France.

England establishes a colony at Port Desire in Patagonia.

King Philip V of Spain abolishes the autonomy of the Kingdom of Majorca (the Balearic Islands).

The borders of Louisiana are agreed upon by the Treaty of Versailles. France defines and Spain recognizes the colony as encompassing the shores of the Gulf of Mexico from Mobile Bay in the west to Galveston Bay in the east, their basins and those of all the rivers flowing into the Gulf between them.

Frederick William ascends the Prussian throne upon the death of his father.

Queen Sophia dies and is succeeded by her eldest son. England, Scotland, Ireland, and Hanover are brought into personal union.

A Spanish settlement, San Andres, is established in the Santa Cruz delta in Patagonia.

Clashes between settlers from Pennsylvania and Maryland lead to an agreement on the border between the 2 colonies. Pennsylvania receives the Delaware county of New Castle, the Maryland claim east of the Susquehanna and the shore of the Chesapeake Bay between that river and the Sassafras; Maryland's claim west of the Susquehanna is recognized.

Russia finishes payment of reparations to Sweden. Novgorod, Pskov and Gdov are returned.

The Hungarian capital is moved from Pressburg back to Buda, where it had been located before the Turkish conquest of 1541.

The regency of Arvid Horn is brought to an end, as king Philip I of Poland-Lithuania turns 18.

Last edited:
I actually rather like all the linking; it saves me from having to look up all those places I've never heard of up so I have some idea of what's going on.

Valdemar II

Banned
I actually rather like all the linking; it saves me from having to look up all those places I've never heard of up so I have some idea of what's going on.

I agree, it's a nice help especially in places, which the reader doesn't know that well.

Last edited:
And I just was wondering how to write a Wittelsbach-wank, or a War of the Spanish Succession where France wins instead of grinding down to a stalemate.

Francis, Duke of Beja, a brother of the King of Portugal and the Algarves, marries Archduchess Maria Josepha, the eldest daughter of Emperor Joseph I from his first marriage, by proxy.

Louis XIV dies in his sleep at Versailles. His son, the 55-year old Grand Dauphin, takes the throne as Louis XV.

Tsar Peter I assumes the right to appoint a heir apparent from among his descendants.

The Swedish East India Company is established. Its headquarters are in Gothenburg.

An earthquake destroys most of Santiago de los Caballeros, capital of the Captaincy General of Guatemala.

The autonomy of Aragon is abolished.

Upper Guelders, acquired by the Dutch after the War of Spanish Succession, is transferred from the Generality Lands to the province of Guelders.

Just 5 weeks after passing over Alexis and Paul (born 1713*), his grandson by Alexis, and naming Michael (born 1713, 4 months after Paul), his eldest son from his 2nd marriage, as tsarevich, Tsar Peter dies in Voronezh. The tsarevich takes the crown as Michael II under the regency of Alexander Danilovich Menshikov, governor of the province of Astrakhan.

The seat of Guatemala is moved to Esquipulas.

Victor Amadeus of Savoy, heir to the duchy, marries Maria Amalia of Austria, the Holy Roman Emperor's 2nd daughter.

Gian Gastone becomes Grand Duke of Tuscany upon the death of Cosimo III.

The French establish Ft Vaudreuil, named after the governor-general of New France, next to an existing trading post on the Tombigbee River, between the lands of their Choctaw and Chickasaw allies.

The 3 Basque provinces have their separate privileges, laws and institutions suppressed.

Joseph I proclaims the indivisibility of the Austrian and Bohemian lands and centralizes their administration in Vienna.

Bavaria and Savoy sign a secret treaty at Novara. By the terms of the agreement Bavaria would support the descendants of Victor Amadeus and Maria Amalia as heirs of Austria and Bohemia should the current emperor die without direct male descent or should his successor die under similar circumstances. Bavaria would also cede Milan to Savoy (without Valtellina, Bormio and Como). In exchange, the Savoyards would, once inheriting them, renounce Bohemia and Austria above the Enns.

Ft Saint-Marc is built by the French on the middle Tennessee.

Bavarian heir Charles Albert takes Maria Henrietta (born 1704), daughter of the Savoyard duke, as his wife, strengthening ties between the Houses of Wittelsbach and Savoy.

Footnote

*Those figures whose date of birth I mention were conceived after the POD and are thus entirely fictional.

Last edited: