DBWI: President Barack Obama

Does anybody remember Barack Obama? He was considered
a rising star in the Democratic Party for a very brief time with his 2004 keynote address at the DNC. If he hadn't lost his senate race due to mudslinging I wonder if he could have been elected for president. He's since left politics and returned to teaching law.

OOC: POD is Republicans getting a better candidate then Keyes to run against him who brings up all he Bill Ayers type smears which stick more in the post 911 hysteria.

LOL...you're...serious???

Barack Obama? I mean, it was one nice speech, but he got KILLED in the Senate run.

Mods, can someone please move this thread to ASB...

LOL...you're...serious???

Barack Obama? I mean, it was one nice speech, but he got KILLED in the Senate run.

Mods, can someone please move this thread to ASB...

It might have happened, he was ambitious. Though he wouldn't run right away, there's no way that that happens.

Provided he wins his Senate race and distinguishes himself in congress then he might be a decent running mate for Hillary in 2008. Then, after serving in the Clinton administration he could strike off on his own and run in 2016.

After all, having the first black President on the heels of the first woman President might intrigue people.

Again that's tentative, but it might happen.

there even is a article someone found in the Honolulu newspaper with the Obama family talking about Barack's birth.

A black President is still ASB, guys. Come on.

This is scary and somewhat disturbing.
Why couldn't Colin Powell have run instead of GW Bush? I get that Barack Obama wouldn't be a news story, but Powell could have done it with the right PoD.

As for now, well, how long did people say we'd never have a female president?

A black President is still ASB, guys. Come on.

We all said that about a female President in 2004. And Hillary's still there. Just. And we might just get a hispanic president in a couple of year's time, if our current VP continues to be useless at everything...

Never Say Never. (That would make a good film title, wouldn't it :p)

This is scary and somewhat disturbing.
Why couldn't Colin Powell have run instead of GW Bush? I get that Barack Obama wouldn't be a news story, but Powell could have done it with the right PoD.

As for now, well, how long did people say we'd never have a female president?

Powell didn't run because his wife was afraid he'd be assassinated. I think that answers your question, and explains my position.

Good point, but race in America is a festering scar with more blood spilled over it than gender equality.

The real question is would Senator Ditka have run for governor of Illinois in 2006 if he lost the Senate in 2004? After all, the GOP in Illinois was chomping at the bit to get him elected to something, and he took to the campaign trail like a fish to water.

By the way, I'm so sick of Ditka haters accusing him of "going dirty" in 2004. The man's blunt, speaks his mind, and plays smash mouth; Chicago-style politics. The man runs his campaigns like he ran the 85 Bears, and the people of Illinois are pretty happy with him.

Even if he had Won the senate race he would have no chance to beat Hilary in 08. Sure maybe she would chosen him as VP but I doubt ir. A woman and an African American on same ticket? Too risky. Now if he won in 06 and was reelected in 2012 maybe he could take out Biden in 2016...

I think Clinton would win in a landslide in 2008

She picked Edward for VP, and his sex stories broke.

She still won, but by a tiny margin.

Even if he had Won the senate race he would have no chance to beat Hilary in 08. Sure maybe she would chosen him as VP but I doubt ir. A woman and an African American on same ticket? Too risky. Now if he won in 06 and was reelected in 2012 maybe he could take out Biden in 2016...

Well they'd have a broad appeal together. People overly bothered by her gender or his race likely wouldn't have been voting for them in the first place.

The republicans would likely have to try something different themselves, any likely candidates against a Clinton Obama pairing?

Once he's VP then either he gets a turn in 2016 (assuming Hillary wins ofc) or If something happens to Clinton then you get the first female president and the first black president in incredibly short succession.

that's a bit racist dont you think?

No, a significant enough section of the American electorate is a bit racist. Don't you think?

OOC: While, obviously, people like my character here were proved wrong, there were a lot of people, including serious commentators, who genuinely questioned whether America was ready to elect a black person. It got a bit silly when Obama started leading in the polls, but in a world where no black candidate had ever stood a chance at all, I can see the attitude of 'it's still basically impossible' pervading until, like Obama, someone proves that... well, it's not.

Also, disclaimer that I'm in character, I don't think all Americans are racist, yadda yadda yadda.

I'd never heard of him til this 'WI'... but then I'm an Aussie so you guys politics is pretty far from interest to me especially at the lower levels.

He seems reasonable, but 3 sentances in Wikipedia is hardly enough to go on.

Who?

I've never heard of him before now. I guess it would be cool to have a black president, though. It's about damn time.