Concorde in the Falklands

MacCaulay

Banned
Sometimes we need some crackpot shit to make things interesting. Need somebody to assist with the Navy? :)

I think we might. I don't quite know how the idea is going to be put together yet, so any ideas are helpful. It might be best to PM it to me or wormy so we don't lose it when this thread sinks, though.

I think the basic idea is just to give the US military a blank check and practically no oversight on how they spend it. The scary thing is not just how much "boom smash crash" you can get out of this, I'm also interested in the amount of "Yeah...look...we kind of...well...lost a boat," kind of things that might happen. Considering the fact that the US Navy's lost a tugboat and a barge, the Army's lost a helicopter, a SAM system, and 100s of trucks, and the Air Force actually lost an Intruder once on a base.

And that was with the oversight we have now.

Well, my first ideas would be:

- Scout Airships (Think Macon and Akron on a bigger scale)
- The Missile Battleships
- More BBs in service longer (I'm think the South Dakota and Iowa classes stay on)
- the first LPHs (converted from older Essex-class carriers)
- Bigger SSBNs
- Ballistic missiles on surface ships (Long Beach was designed to carry the Trident)
- USS United States
- Earlier supercarriers
- New diesel-electric submarines

Then, later on:

- Catamaran vessels
- Semi-submersible vessels
- Supersonic transports
- V/STOL aircraft (think V-22 Osprey)
- Jetpack infantry/special forces

Before I forget, I'm gonna go dig up my really old Battleship TL. I had the idea of the South Dakota class ships being converted to nuclear propulsion and have ShLBMs aboard.

MBT-70 would definatly be a go, who cares that it is 5 times the price and only a little better, we have to close the tank gap!

Your models are awesome. Well done!

I looked at that thread, and there are some other interesting pics there.

Is there a timeline or other pages about the "New Commonwealth" referred to on the modelling board?

The Empires Twighlight on whatif modellers is a work in progress, most of the timeline is worked out it stems from a POD from 1955 and a very differant Suez with the UK solidly allied to it's commonwealth and very close to France.
Goes on till the 91 disaster, a more or less 4 sided major war.

Did post some bits about it here a while ago but no real responce so didn't bother anymore, did also put some tales of the 91 disaster on as well.

Keep looking at the whaiif site as all will go on that thread eventually

tim

MBT-70 would definatly be a go, who cares that it is 5 times the price and only a little better, we have to close the tank gap!

The MBT-70 should have just gotten a good 120mm gun, not the XM-150 system, which was technically unworkable. Many of the other ideas were pretty smart, actually - blow-out systems, the crew in the turret, kneeling suspension. Go for the standard 120mm gun and you'd have yourself something usable.

MacCaulay

Banned
The MBT-70 should have just gotten a good 120mm gun, not the XM-150 system, which was technically unworkable. Many of the other ideas were pretty smart, actually - blow-out systems, the crew in the turret, kneeling suspension. Go for the standard 120mm gun and you'd have yourself something usable.

The gun on that thing was right down there with the missile/gun system on the Sheridan. The whole Shillelagh was a freaking mess. Chrysler should've known better than to make that.

Me personally, I still think the L7-series was the best gun ever made. We could still stick those 105s on our tanks and be killing anything we've gone up against in the last 30 years.

Remember this is a tl with jet pack infantry. Enough money and some handwavium will see the XM-150 working fine.

Hapsburg

Banned
If you want a supersonic bomber like so, why not just have the Valkyrie not get scrapped, and the UK buy a few?