Concorde in the Falklands

MacCaulay

Banned
THAT'S IT!!! We totally need to write that!!

...for some reason, I just got that picture of General Buck Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove yelling at the President about the Tunnel Gap...

You need to cut and paste that to a word program. Because I totally think we need to do that. If only as a 5 or 6 page lark.

wormyguy

Banned
THAT'S IT!!! We totally need to write that!!

...for some reason, I just got that picture of General Buck Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove yelling at the President about the Tunnel Gap...

You need to cut and paste that to a word program. Because I totally think we need to do that. If only as a 5 or 6 page lark.
Ok, sure. I'm writing a short story right now (ironically enough about the US being taken over by an authoritarian), and then I have my two TLs, both of which I've been lazily neglecting for almost two months (although I think I'll abandon one, the ASB one, which you could probably neglect reading) - but I'd like to expand it anyway. First off - how do we get an authoritarian McCarthy/MacArthur presidency? The best POD I can think of is if Ike or possibly Truman is assasinated by a Communist radical . . .

MacCaulay

Banned
Ok, sure. I'm writing a short story right now (ironically enough about the US being taken over by an authoritarian), and then I have my two TLs, both of which I've been lazily neglecting for almost two months (although I think I'll abandon one, the ASB one, which you could probably neglect reading) - but I'd like to expand it anyway.

I'm writing one now too, but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in the Russians invading Canada from the Russian point of view. Oh well. That's what I get! I can do two at once, especially of this kind.

First off - how do we get an authoritarian McCarthy/MacArthur presidency? The best POD I can think of is if Ike or possibly Truman is assasinated by a Communist radical . . .

That works. If we're planning on basically making it a tech-wank, all we need is something that will survive a cursory looksee. That's almost better than a tech-wank deserves!

So...we're talking...mid-1951 as a start date? 1952? What're your thoughts?

wormyguy

Banned
I'm writing one now too, but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in the Russians invading Canada from the Russian point of view. Oh well. That's what I get! I can do two at once, especially of this kind.
I'd imagine it would be somewhat hard to write that one - Russian culture, and especially Russian military culture, is so different from American culture. I've actually only read about 2 pages of your current TL, sorry, I should read more - I'm somewhat confused as to why the Russians would ever want to invade Canada, given that the whole continental shelf dispute isn't exactly something to fight a war over and it would almost certainly mean WWIII.
That works. If we're planning on basically making it a tech-wank, all we need is something that will survive a cursory looksee. That's almost better than a tech-wank deserves!

So...we're talking...mid-1951 as a start date? 1952? What're your thoughts?
That works - I was hoping to spice it up with things like my post on the last page a little rather than just "The F-226 Thunderbird blah blah blah" sort of thing, but I don't have to spend hours worrying about the plausibility of the chain of events, since it is, after all, designed to be implausible.

MacCaulay

Banned
I'd imagine it would be somewhat hard to write that one - Russian culture, and especially Russian military culture, is so different from American culture. I've actually only read about 2 pages of your current TL, sorry, I should read more - I'm somewhat confused as to why the Russians would ever want to invade Canada, given that the whole continental shelf dispute isn't exactly something to fight a war over and it would almost certainly mean WWIII.

I actually wrote it as a sequel/addition to ...Cold Lake to answer alot of questions people were asking.
The big thing when I write serious stories is that normally I concentrate more on the characters, and then trust that making them and their surroundings realistic will make the rest moot.
The actual background revolved alot around a huge oilstrike in the north and the current dispute over Northwest Passage sovereignty.
I just really don't like writing politics. I find it very difficult to plot out and not get very boring very quickly, especially when I actually have the experience in the army to write operational stuff.
It's probably the mark of a weak writer, and I should just come out and explain it someday, but to be honest, I didn't do it in the first story because it wasn't a story about how the war started. It was about the people.

That works - I was hoping to spice it up with things like my post on the last page a little rather than just "The F-226 Thunderbird blah blah blah" sort of thing, but I don't have to spend hours worrying about the plausibility of the chain of events, since it is, after all, designed to be implausible.

Totally! The great thing about this setup is that since it's starting in the early 50s we've got so much to work with from a clean slate. The Space Program, stealth, supercarriers, SSBNs and SSNs, the sky's the limit!

On the subject of Concorde bomber, here is one i made as a model

DSCF1218_edited.jpg

DSCF1249.jpg

DSCF1242.jpg

have a look here

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21290.0.html

few more pictures

there were study for Concorde "Version B"
performance improvements with "Olympus 610 + 25 %" engine
lower direct operation costs,
extension of the operating range up to 4079 miles
reduction of environmental effects
more here
http://www.concordesst.com/concordeb.html

if the Concorde had a military use, they hab bulid the "Version B"

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Of course not. If I were from the Joint Chiefs, I'd be saying that the AWACS are not adequately protected, therefore we require stealth AWACS. And carrier AWACS. Stealth carrier AWACS on the new carriers.

Ohhhhh...

With invisibility paint??

And the carrier is a submarine too, right?

Oh, and for MacCaulay:

Airborne Lasers!

MacCaulay

Banned
Ohhhhh...

With invisibility paint??

And the carrier is a submarine too, right?

Oh, and for MacCaulay:

Airborne Lasers!

Totally!! We totally need that too for this timeline!! See how easy this is? It's like the someone else has already planted the seeds and we just need to harvest the crops.

A bigger arrestor cable? That sounds terribly inexpensive. We need bigger carriers. .

Actually Hawkeyes are used on french CdG and were used on Foch and Clemenceau; neither of which is remotely as big as a Nimitz calls super carrier

MacCaulay

Banned
On the subject of Concorde bomber, here is one i made as a model

have a look here

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21290.0.html

few more pictures

That was fucking awesome. I'm not sure how realistic it is, as I've said before...but holy shit that's awesome!

fhaessig said:
Actually Hawkeyes are used on french CdG and were used on Foch and Clemenceau; neither of which is remotely as big as a Nimitz calls super carrier

Totally. That's right up the alley of what we're talking about. I can't help but wonder just how big an aircraft you can land on an aircraft deck...

hmmm...C-130 Hercules on an Aircraft Carrier.

Oh, yeah. That's how big.

And that C-130 took off again. And landed again. Without arresting cables.

:eek:

MacCaulay, could you try making that part of your technowank?

And can I assist in any way? :D

And if I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion, I'd say this is about as good an idea for a technowank as could be possible. :D

Oh, the Valkyrie...how could I have forgotten you...and the planes your program ripped apart...

The XF-108? Yeah, you could bring that thing around, too......;)

How about some navy ships, too? May I humbly suggest that Kentucky and Illinois get finished as missile battleships? :D

MacCaulay

Banned
Because I knew it was coming, my good man. :cool:

Oh, you'd better believe it...:D

This is going to be the biggest, dumbest, craziest story/TL I'll probably ever be a part of here. Definitely way less believable than the Russians invading Canada...:rolleyes:

Oh, you'd better believe it...:D

This is going to be the biggest, dumbest, craziest story/TL I'll probably ever be a part of here. Definitely way less believable than the Russians invading Canada...:rolleyes:

Sometimes we need some crackpot shit to make things interesting. Need somebody to assist with the Navy? :)