Collection of opportunities in WWII

Grey Wolf

Donor
AMBOMB said:
But, Ukraine was part of the USSR, the communist USSR. And remember Hitler hated communists as well as slavs. So, to him, any Soviet slav was beneath contempt. He was willing to use them in the SS because he thought he needed them. But, to make Ukraine into an ally was not something he would've considered.

If you look at the evidence, you can see that when after Stalingrad the SS did recruit a huge number of Ukrainians the one recruiting requirement was that they hate Communism. Not all people who live under Communist regimes ARE Communist

As for the idea of an independent Ukraine favoured by Rosenburg etc, Ukraine WAS independent twice before, arguably in the eighteenth century (depends how you define independent) and then again in 1918 under German/Austrian protection. Thus resurrecting Ukraine as an independent entity is not as illogical as you wish it to be.

Hitler made Slovakia (and when was that last independent ???) and Croatia (last independent in the Middle Ages) into self-ruling vassals, so I cannot see why, if he had been influenced by the right people, he wouild not have been swayed to do the same with Ukraine

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Straha said:
Hey grey wolf I never knew you liked WWII AHs! I thought you were a 19th century man!

I go through phases :) In general, my WW2 phases are 5 years apart and I'm in one now

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
If you look at the evidence, you can see that when after Stalingrad the SS did recruit a huge number of Ukrainians the one recruiting requirement was that they hate Communism. Not all people who live under Communist regimes ARE Communist

As for the idea of an independent Ukraine favoured by Rosenburg etc, Ukraine WAS independent twice before, arguably in the eighteenth century (depends how you define independent) and then again in 1918 under German/Austrian protection. Thus resurrecting Ukraine as an independent entity is not as illogical as you wish it to be.

Hitler made Slovakia (and when was that last independent ???) and Croatia (last independent in the Middle Ages) into self-ruling vassals, so I cannot see why, if he had been influenced by the right people, he wouild not have been swayed to do the same with Ukraine

Grey Wolf

Well there must be a reason why he didn't! Can you think of one?